Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
So Amazon has the HTC somethings for $99 that are for Virgin Mobile. Am I correct in assuming that I can buy 2 of these and activate them and pay $70 a month instead of the $180 I'm paying Verizon? Are there any hidden caveats that I'm missing in going prepaid? Also, how far out from my contract with Verizon being over should I start the porting process? I'm actually super excited right now at saving over $2000 over the next two years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Stick100 posted:

1. Virgin Mobile is Sprint service ONLY. If you have a sprint Post paid you will roam on Verizon. Sprint service is not as good as Verizon but as always your use area matter only. Virgin Mobile's data is Sprint 3G only and the speeds are terrible compared to any other 3G or heaven help you Verizon LTE comparison.

So if you are OK with the service being super slow and not always working (if you are out of reach of Sprint Towers) then by all means join us prepaid and enjoy saving buckets of money. I sound negative, but I'm not, myself and many others run prepaid of various formats (I'm on the $30 TMO plan, and love it). I have another household user on TMO pay by the minute ($100 for 1 year but only 1000 minutes all year) because they have no interest in data.

Also porting can be difficult with prepaid, most of us just ported to GV or got a new GV number and then pointed it at the new numbers. Depending on your chosen service you generally can't get visual voicemail (not a problem for you as you are not looking at iPhones).

When you make a port request with the new service your old service dies immediately so one day out of contract would work fine, but might take a while for the number to point to the new phone. This among other reasons is why many suggest porting to GV (or getting a new GV number) and then handling number assignment yourself.

You might also want to look at the HTC Evo V 4G. It's $150 instead of $100 but might be a better phone. Also having two of the same phones is nice but sometimes results in them getting confused for each other. You might consider the HTC for yourself and the Reverb for the lady.

Thank you so much for all of this info. I'm not too concerned about speed, my average data usage with Verizon has been under 250mb every month, and we've never come close to the 700 minutes that Verizon gives us every month. 3g is really only used if I want to go somewhere and forget to look up directions before I leave. When I first got a smartphone I went nuts getting apps and doing lots of stuff with it. But now, other than normal phone things, I really only use my phone for checking my daughter's crib cam, shopping list, and Wordfeud.

I think I might try porting my number to GV. I've seen it mentioned quite a few times in this thread, but I'm not real sure what any of it means. I think I'll read up on it and probably do that so I can switch to a new service easier in the future if Virgin sucks around here.

edit - So I can buy and activate the other phones now, and then in a week when my contract expires, just port my existing Verizon number to GV, right? And then add my new Virgin number into GV as a forwarding number? I think it makes sense to me.

Ariza fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Nov 24, 2012

• Locked thread