Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

poxin posted:

Regarding my port experience from ST to AIO (it may not be the norm). I filled out all my information at AIO's site to pay for service and port my number. Their site kept having difficulty finding my phone number at straight talk. I tried entering it a couple different times. I called in and talked to a rep who said they could do it manually but my phone may be offline for 24 hours and that I would have to wait for the SIM card to show up too (2 day shipping). The number was actually in their system but something at Straight Talk was throwing errors.

I talked her into sending me a SIM card ahead of time (at no charge I now realize) and then called back up to accept payment for the account. All in all it wasn't too bad but it had to be done manually on their end, complete port took about 4 hours. The port process doesn't start at AIO until they actually accept payment. I would say try it on the website first and if that fails you can send me a PM and I'll give you the direct number to the woman that helped me.

They have APN settings for Android/Windows/iPhone here:
Android/Windows: http://www.aiowireless.com/content/aio/en/support/Phones-and-Tablets/BYOD/customer/manual-configuration-steps.html
iPhone: http://www.aiowireless.com/content/aio/en/support/Phones-and-Tablets/BYOD/customer/Bring-Your-Own-iPhone.html

The challenge is that you cannot edit the APN settings on the iPhone unless the carrier programmed their sim to be able to. (without jailbreaking)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

This was asked before but no one has responded. Really interested in hearing if MMS on the iPhone with AIO is as plug and play as it is with GoPhone. You no longer have to configure any APNs or do any trickery with GoPhone. Does it working out of the box for iPhone now or is there problems? This is the last thing stopping me from moving my lines over to AIO as it's vitally important to my wife and I'm sure all of you know how important the spousal buy-in is...

Thanks!

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

SB35 posted:

Saw this on HowardForums

Thank you very much for circling back for this.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

dr.bateman posted:

Initial trip report for AIO:

Got my activation pack in the mail yesterday. Setup took less than 10 minutes and the port apparently went through instantly. This may be because I ported from GoPhone but either way I was pleasantly surprised with this after expecting it to take at least a few hours. I'm using an iPhone 4 so I'm only getting 3G data speed but it's plenty quick so far. MMS worked out of the box and didn't require any special configuration. I'm not even 24 hours into it but so far I'm really happy with the service.

Thanks for trip report! My wife has an iPhone 5 so I appreciate you commenting on the MMS functionality.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

SB35 posted:

The port won't go through until you actually activate the SIM.

I am in the process of transferring to AIO from GoPhone but have one more month left of credit so I wouldn't be activating until the first week of May. If I order the Basic ($40) plan and the Nano sim now will there be any issue with waiting over 30 days to activate it? Also, can I get a confirmation that the Basic plan works with Smartphones such as my Moto X and my wifes iPhone 5? I was originally going to get the 2.5GB but it seems I use around 500-700mb a month, I doubt I'd notice the 2000Mbps speed. Will Pandora still work at that speed?

Thanks in advance!

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

SB35 posted:

Buy a Nexus 5 or Moto X. Both can be purchased unlocked for under $400. If you're hard up for cash, a Moto G can be had for ~$200.

Get a Gvoice number if you don't already have one, that way next time you come back to the US your number won't have changed. Also while you're abroad you can use your Gvoice number as your US contact number for banks, or whatever poo poo you need to do in the US. They can leave you a voicemail and you can call them back when you feel like it.

AIO has been lauded as having very good customer service, in fact I switched to them about a month ago and having mostly good things to say as opposed to the poo poo show that other prepaid carriers are. $45/mo (if you enable the auto pay, $50 otherwise) gets you unlimited minutes/SMS and 2.5 GB of LTE/3G data (throttled to 8/4 mbps respectively) which is quite sufficient for awful.apk, maps, email, and YouTubering.

Or $35 for 500mb which afterwards gets slowed down instead of being completely cut off.

Speaking of, can anyone speak to the usability of the 'slowed down' speeds? Will Pandora still work?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

My elderly father just surprised us and flew in from Greece yesterday. He may be here for a while and I'm thinking I should get him a cheap phone. He doesn't text or use data. Something with big numbers would be nice but I think he could manage a standard keypad. What's a good enough cheap phone/plan for a guy that probably won't use a ton of minutes and MAYBE make an international call? Feel free to respond without the international calling as we may just work around that issue.

Thanks!

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

I'm ready to pick up two AIO Nano sims for my wife and I. When ordering, it asks if I want a new number or to port mine. I do want to transfer mine, but not until later in the month. Can I put new number and then when I activate it transfer or does it have to be done up front? Just want to make sure I get the steps correct and not have my existing service shut off prematurely or burn cash unnecessarily by selecting an irreversible option.

Thanks!

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Thanks for the help!

Has anyone had an issue porting to AIO from GoPhone online? I called and got my account number from AT&T but the AIO website keeps saying that it isn't being recognized when trying to check out. The number he gave me (for two lines) is 12 digits long and I even tried truncating the first two digits as the field on the AIO site has 1234567890 in the field as if to indicate only ten digits.

Turns out I do have stores by me so I may have to go to one to settle this out, but hoping for an online fix.

Thanks!

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

What's the catch? Do you share data? This seems ridiculous if not.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

SB35 posted:

Correct. So 2 lines is exactly the same price as it would be with individual accounts and autopay. The only benefit is paying from one account. When you have 3+ lines, then savings can be had but they must be paid from one account (so you will need to collect money from other account members if sharing with friends).

Well then, there's the catch!

Anyone able to address my previous question? Who has ported from GoPhone?

TraderStav posted:

Thanks for the help!

Has anyone had an issue porting to AIO from GoPhone online? I called and got my account number from AT&T but the AIO website keeps saying that it isn't being recognized when trying to check out. The number he gave me (for two lines) is 12 digits long and I even tried truncating the first two digits as the field on the AIO site has 1234567890 in the field as if to indicate only ten digits.

Turns out I do have stores by me so I may have to go to one to settle this out, but hoping for an online fix.

Thanks!

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

ge.hale posted:

I ported from GoPhone to AIO without any issues. I just checked some notes I took during the port and my account number was 11 digits long. Not sure if GoPhone would have account numbers of different lengths or not.

The first nine digits for both that they gave me are 188070439, do you have something similar? I will try dropping the first number.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Athenry posted:

I have and I didn't have any problems with the port. You did get the right account number from AT&T? I want to say that mine was 15 digits and I think its specific per phone (may be wrong on that second point.)

ge.hale posted:

I ported from GoPhone to AIO without any issues. I just checked some notes I took during the port and my account number was 11 digits long. Not sure if GoPhone would have account numbers of different lengths or not.

Oddly enough, I tried again today and it errored out at first and then worked despite being certain I entered it correctly both times. Regardless, the cards are on the way. Thanks for assuring me I was doing the right thing.

SB35 posted:

I'll let you know. Gf is going to go over her 500mb pretty soon here.

Any update on this? Curious as to how Pandora runs (and basic usage is) on throttled AIO.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Man, AIO works fast when transferring from GoPhone. It makes sense being both AT&T owned, but wow. Took less than a minute and everything working perfect on my Moto X. Will have to see how the wife's iPhone 5 fares tonight but am quite optimistic. I started with the 500mb plan to see if the throttled speed is usable (I doubt it is, but if it is that's major savings) and will go from there.

Adding tethering would be amazing and make this the perfect plan at either $35 or $45!

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

I just switched to AIO wireless on my Moto X and got a weird error when my wife sent a group message (video at that). Something along the lines of "Couldn't download MMS. Touch to try again" and all regular messages in that thread repeated it. Weird thing is that I'm able to send and receive pictures over MMS. I opened Textra to see if it was a hangouts problem and it said that I didn't have my phone number set up and to go into settings to do so. Low and behold my number of Unknown in there with no way perceivable way to change it. How do I do this? 

Thanks! 

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

A Pinball Wizard posted:

You need to update your APN settings. I had the same problem, and following the instructions here fixed it.

I think that fixed it, the number is there now! You're my hero forever. Thanks!

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Give me authorized tethering and they have me as a long-long-long term customer. Perfect price and data package for me. I am tethering small amounts currently, but would greatly appreciate the blessing from the Telco.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

ThermoPhysical posted:

If you're a Smart or Pro Cricket customer, you will receive a $50 credit for a new device every 12 months you pay on time.

That's interesting. Do the credits accumulate?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

AIO/Cricket is good. Switch to them and support them. They are up front with what they allow and the consequences. The speed is great and when throttled it's passable but with high ping times. I'm concerned about sustainability because it's such a good deal and doesn't have any fuckery going on like ST/net10.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Before this thread shutters I wanted to thank everyone for all of the great information and helpful responses. It's been greatly appreciated along the whole way. I'm steady state now with Cricket so don't post much but still lurk!

See you in the next thread!

• Locked thread