Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
I asked in the AI Stupid Questions thread, but I suspect that was the wrong place, so hopefully this is more appropriate. Sorry if I'm wrong again.

Are dealer ceramic coatings on new cars worth it? Should I negotiate out if it and have a detailer do it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

heffray
Sep 18, 2010

The important part of a ceramic coat is the paint correction (polishing) before applying the coating, which a dealership may or may not actually be good at. If you're keeping the car in a garage, washing regularly, and using some sort of spray wax or protectant as part of the wash process, a ceramic coat doesn't really matter. It's a lot more durable than a wax job or lower effort sealant if you want to ignore your paint more.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

heffray posted:

The important part of a ceramic coat is the paint correction (polishing) before applying the coating, which a dealership may or may not actually be good at. If you're keeping the car in a garage, washing regularly, and using some sort of spray wax or protectant as part of the wash process, a ceramic coat doesn't really matter. It's a lot more durable than a wax job or lower effort sealant if you want to ignore your paint more.

I don't have a garage unfortunately. So it'd have to sit out. I can start using a protective coat.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
For like $7-12 a bottle the turtle wax hybrid solutions ceramic coat and detail spray beat out a lot of other coats in a few YouTuber comparison tests.

It's not going to be as good as the little $50-100 vials applied properly, but I haven't had any issues just applying it outside on a calm day with no rain and letting it sit for 24 hours before driving as directed, and I rarely get a chance to apply the 2nd coat as directed

It still lasts 4-6 months pretty good as long as I refresh it with the detail spray after I wash.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

meatpimp posted:

Holy poo poo. I was right on. I just didn't realize how much so until now. When I posted the above, I had just purchased a few aliexpress ceramic coating kits. I coated the Juke, and Avalon, and E61... and the Escalade.

I never thought too much about it, looking back it was 2018, so a good 4 years. Since then, the Escalade has sat outside under a crabapple tree getting various berries and birdshit dumped on its paint, and I've washed it like 6 times in those 4 years. I had pretty much figured it'd be ruined, but didn't care too much.

Well, the Escalade is back in daily service and I got a wild hair to clean it up today. I took some synthetic clay and lube to it and... that ceramic coating let almost NOTHING make a lasting mark. I followed it up with some Meg's M27 hybrid ceramic coating and I am absolutely blown away at how this 18 year old car came out. It is amazing. I'll be ceramic coating my wife's RDX soon.

Emptyquotin myself

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021
Fluid film/preventive rust barriers

I just moved to the midwest and am planning on applying fluid film (or like) to undercarriage the cars this summer. I was wondering if anyone had opinions on what to use? is there any reason not to diy?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

no lube so what posted:

Fluid film/preventive rust barriers

I just moved to the midwest and am planning on applying fluid film (or like) to undercarriage the cars this summer. I was wondering if anyone had opinions on what to use? is there any reason not to diy?
https://corrosionfree.com/?_vsrefdom=adwords&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI1Y7J9-H9gwMVXDfUAR2CZwwPEAAYASAAEgK___D_BwE

Try this poo poo.

odinson
Mar 17, 2009
Yeah, you want something lanolin based like Fluid Film, not petroleum like the Rust Cure from the research I've done.

This RepairGeek dude has a bunch of info, with links to examples for air compressor or spray can attachments. It's a 27min video, but has chapters if you wanna skip around

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZr4qoKGfXs

e**
He prefers the Blaster Surface Shield brand fwiw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NE1_EiZIVHs

odinson fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jan 27, 2024

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
I want to remove spray paint from badges on my vehicle, I found that I could let WD-40 soak for about a minute and then scrub off the paint gently, I'm assuming this would also turbo gently caress my body paint (maybe automotive paint is higher quality than rattle can? Not a risk I really want to take). My plan is to try to only apply a small amount of WD-40 to the middle of the badge, and then tediously peel away paint near the edges close to the paint.

How can I protect my paint from over spray? Would masking tape be sufficient, or could I like put some clay or Play-Doh on the paint? I'm mostly concerned about protecting the small areas inside the letters on the badges.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Not Wolverine posted:

I want to remove spray paint from badges on my vehicle, I found that I could let WD-40 soak for about a minute and then scrub off the paint gently, I'm assuming this would also turbo gently caress my body paint (maybe automotive paint is higher quality than rattle can? Not a risk I really want to take). My plan is to try to only apply a small amount of WD-40 to the middle of the badge, and then tediously peel away paint near the edges close to the paint.

How can I protect my paint from over spray? Would masking tape be sufficient, or could I like put some clay or Play-Doh on the paint? I'm mostly concerned about protecting the small areas inside the letters on the badges.

How'd the paint get on the badges in the first place? Somehow the spray paint didn't get on the small areas inside the badge so presumably the badges come off somehow?

Maybe they were painted before they were applied?

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

KakerMix posted:

How'd the paint get on the badges in the first place? Somehow the spray paint didn't get on the small areas inside the badge so presumably the badges come off somehow?

Maybe they were painted before they were applied?
Judging by the gouges in the paint under the badges, I am certain the previous owner removed them to spray paint them. I could do this, but I don't want to mess with applying new adhesive, and I think I can remove the badge's paint without damaging the vehicle. I know it might be ridiculously tedious, but I already need to occupy a couple hours of free time (waiting on other things) each night. I swapped the front badge and tested WD-40 on the painted one, the paint came off cleanly, and I could peel it off too but peeling is more work. In addition, I think my biggest concern with removing, cleaning, and reinstalling the current badges is simply that I don't have adhesive or know what to use.

To that extent, someday I would like to fill in the paint gouges, I might attempt to DIY it. I think I could practice on the scratches in the bed (I also need to ask about bed liner someday. . .), I'm also considering trying to buy a random body panel (maybe even mirror frame if I can find a metal one) from LKQ to practice on. I also have Maatco in town, but I have no idea what their price might be to fill in the gouges.

Not Wolverine fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jan 29, 2024

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
Sorry, got sidetracked over the past few days. Thanks for the advice on ceramic coatings.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Not Wolverine posted:

Judging by the gouges in the paint under the badges, I am certain the previous owner removed them to spray paint them. I could do this, but I don't want to mess with applying new adhesive, and I think I can remove the badge's paint without damaging the vehicle. I know it might be ridiculously tedious, but I already need to occupy a couple hours of free time (waiting on other things) each night. I swapped the front badge and tested WD-40 on the painted one, the paint came off cleanly, and I could peel it off too but peeling is more work. In addition, I think my biggest concern with removing, cleaning, and reinstalling the current badges is simply that I don't have adhesive or know what to use.

To that extent, someday I would like to fill in the paint gouges, I might attempt to DIY it. I think I could practice on the scratches in the bed (I also need to ask about bed liner someday. . .), I'm also considering trying to buy a random body panel (maybe even mirror frame if I can find a metal one) from LKQ to practice on. I also have Maatco in town, but I have no idea what their price might be to fill in the gouges.

i am no detailing expert, but i would guess that wd40 would probably not damage automotive paint, and if you're worried about it maybe you could put some masking tape down around the badge so you can get the whole badge without having to meticulously peel it.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Any legit way to fix up light curb rash on forged wheels? Nicked a curb this weekend and it's bugging the crap out of me. Or is this something you're better off taking into a shop?

K918
Jan 6, 2022

Good. And you?

Popete posted:

Any legit way to fix up light curb rash on forged wheels? Nicked a curb this weekend and it's bugging the crap out of me. Or is this something you're better off taking into a shop?

There are somewhat hacky methods to use body filler and such but you are pretty much in the realm of autobody repair.
How light is light? Got a picture?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
A few scuffs similar to this.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

odinson posted:

Yeah, you want something lanolin based like Fluid Film, not petroleum like the Rust Cure from the research I've done.

This RepairGeek dude has a bunch of info, with links to examples for air compressor or spray can attachments. It's a 27min video, but has chapters if you wanna skip around

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZr4qoKGfXs

e**
He prefers the Blaster Surface Shield brand fwiw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NE1_EiZIVHs

Sure, but fluid film is also petroleum based?

https://www.fluid-film.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/07/SDS_Aerosol2023.pdf

I CTRL F'd the rust cure MSDS and didn't find any mention of petroleum in the MSDS
https://cansumer.ca/wp-content/uploads/2023/07/formula-3000-with-csc-850-sds.pdf
No petroleum listed?

wesleywillis fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Feb 1, 2024

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Not Wolverine posted:

How can I protect my paint from over spray?

Don't spray it on the badge. It's a liquid, spray it on a rag away from your car, and dab it on the badge.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Is there a good product for removing bug guts?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

MetaJew posted:

Is there a good product for removing bug guts?

Goo Gone

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Look for an enzyme based bug remover. I found it works great to rinse, then spray on the enzyme cleaner, give it some time to do its thing, then continue with the wash. They come right off with that.

I've had good luck with this stuff and it was relatively cheap for a bulk container of it.

https://3dproducts.com/products/3d-bug-remover-sap-remover-surface-cleaner

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
What’s y’all’s go-to for cleaning fabric convertible tops?

Is there a good soft brush recommendation for removing crusted on birdshit?

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005
What's my best bet for getting rid of 50k+ miles of buildup on my otherwise-Chrome exhaust tips?

Cleaning/scrubbing last time I cleaned my car really didn't do much to restore any shine or remove any of the current deposits from the exhaust tips.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
#0000 steel wool and some kind of degreaser like simple green, or maybe brake cleaner if you're feeling adventurous?

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
I've never tried cleaning that, but barkeeper's friend got some rust pits from using magnets off my stainless steel fridge that other products didn't get.

Maybe try that

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
I think LegitStreetCars used Barkeepers friend on his DeLorean to great effect and it's the go to product in that community apparently. Don't know how it reacts to chrome though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Wicaeed posted:

What's my best bet for getting rid of 50k+ miles of buildup on my otherwise-Chrome exhaust tips?

Cleaning/scrubbing last time I cleaned my car really didn't do much to restore any shine or remove any of the current deposits from the exhaust tips.

http://www.nevrdull.com/

You want something along these lines, there are a few but this is *the* one I've used for a long time now. You can get it at any auto parts stores or even home improvement stores. While I've never done exhaust tips I have done countless chrome bits off various 25+ year old vehicles and it's always performed remarkably well.

I've also had good luck with using the already mentioned 0000 steel wool with Brasso
https://www.amazon.com/Brasso-76523-Multi-Purpose-Metal-Polish/dp/B00BILDIU4

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Mar 3, 2024