Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
drat I know what I’m watching later! I have the blue meguiars it seems good will see what the video says. I have some expensive mothers too I haven’t tried

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

StormDrain posted:

Edit:lol of course it's project farm.

lol nice. Thanks, this is perfect.

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
What's a good spot cleaner I can keep in my trunk to wash off errant bird poo poo and tree sap? Preferably something that doesn't require additional water, as I live in the city and lack access to a hose.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Since a particularly nasty bird poo etched the paint on my bumper in like two hours I've carried a bottle of Meguiar's quick detailer and it's worked fine.

umbrage
Sep 5, 2007

beast mode
I'm looking to book a full paint correction and ceramic coating for my new car with a local guy. I've gotten CQuartz elsewhere in the past and have been impressed (it's held up beyond the advertised two years on a mostly-ungaraged car), but he says he's using Adam's Graphene Ceramic these days. (He also says I can choose whatever coating I want.)

Anyone have any experience/opinions on Adam's Graphene? I'd never heard of it before. They claim it lasts up to seven years!

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

I have a Graphene coating, but its from Jax Wax, I don't know if Graphene is the same across lines, I'm guessing so? Its working well so far.

https://vimeo.com/661687903

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
My 2016 ND after ~5.5 years of ownership and ~30k miles has some fine scratches/swirls on it. I had it coated with Cquartz stuff when I first got it, and I've done nothing outside of (mostly regular) car washes.

What's the quick and dirty on ceramic coatings that are end of lifeish and hitting the car with like a blue polishing pad to try to ease my OCD?

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Semi-aquatic personification of unstoppable douchery

Phone posted:

What's the quick and dirty on ceramic coatings that are end of lifeish and hitting the car with like a blue polishing pad to try to ease my OCD?
Gyeon Can Coat and Griot’s Ceramic 3-in-1 are great options, depending on how easy you want it to be. The Gyeon is a wipe and and wipe off deal. The Griot’s is a spray.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I mean, there's enough stuff out there now that provides a full year's of protection that's a lot easier to work with than your standard ceramic coating.

M27 or the consumer Hybrid Ceramic Coating from Megs is like a once a year thing, especially if you dry with a ceramic boosting spray.

I mainly got ceramic coated for my Golf R because I was also getting PPF installed so the correction step was needed anyways and ceramic on the full car wasn't that much more cost. But home applied coatings have gotten to the point where you can just do your car once and not worry about it the rest of the year.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
It seems like doing a claybar + polish will remove the old coating and I'll be set to go for whatever is next.

Neato.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal
What do you all do for upholstery? My Golf has gorgeous plaid seats but after 67k miles the drivers side has accumulated a lot of sweat, grime and other stuff into it and looks poo poo compared to the almost unsat in passenger side.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

steam extractor like Bissell Little Green

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

I spray chemical guys lightning fast liberally on the area, let it sit for a bit and then agitate with a drill brush to break all the crud up. Then I use a bissell extractor with only hot water in the tank to suck it all up.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal
Cool that looks like a useful gadget. Would Meguiars Interior Cleaner be okay do you think? It smells kind of soapy and not too harsh.

Also I just looked at drill brushes. How did I not know these were a thing. There are dozens of types, which do you use?

monkeytennis fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Apr 26, 2022

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

monkeytennis posted:

Cool that looks like a useful gadget. Would Meguiars Interior Cleaner be okay do you think? It smells kind of soapy and not too harsh.

Also I just looked at drill brushes. How did I not know these were a thing. There are dozens of types, which do you use?

Always the softest one that will get the job done.

With great power comes great rug burn/pilling/tears.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

toplitzin posted:

Always the softest one that will get the job done.

With great power comes great rug burn/pilling/tears.

Yeah that’s what I’m afraid of lol.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
There are also brush attachments for a random orbital polisher.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

For your consideration:
https://i.imgur.com/qRDi2KG.mp4

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
There's a "your mom" joke somewhere in that post but I can't quite find it.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Ben Shapiro buys his wife a vibrator?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

StormDrain posted:

I watched some video comparing a bunch of spray ceramic and the Turtle Wax spray hybrid was very impressive and cheap. I know you said wax, seemed related.

https://youtu.be/uYxKQwZah1s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYxKQwZah1s

I bought the Meguiars before this video was made, and its fine, especially once you start building up the layers. Subsequent coats is a pretty easy process. I like it better than wax.

They're onto selling graphene stuff now, I have no idea if any of it is good or not.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Holy poo poo. We have one of those back massage guns and a shop vac. I am definitely going to have to try that on the trash dirt-velcro carpet in my wife's 2012 CR-V.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

honestly a great idea if you dont have an air compressor for a tool that blows that stuff out of carpet

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

wesleywillis posted:

There's a "your mom" joke somewhere in that post but I can't quite find it.

Leaked footage from your mom's delousing.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

drat, I've had one of those back massagers for like 4 years and just threw it away yesterday I'm pretty sure.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

StormDrain posted:

I watched some video comparing a bunch of spray ceramic and the Turtle Wax spray hybrid was very impressive and cheap. I know you said wax, seemed related.

https://youtu.be/uYxKQwZah1s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYxKQwZah1s

In this video the guy uses the blue Megs stuff like normal spray wax - spray on and buff off. But I have a bottle of that at home and the instructions say to spray it all over a wet car after washing then rinse off and dry.

CancerStick
Jun 3, 2011
I use it as well. Without having the bottle in front of me:

1) the initial application it is recommended to wash then dry and apply like a normal spray wax.

2) the method you are speaking about I believe is when you are “freshening” up the application with each wash after an initial layer has been applied like above

3) I actually use it as a drying aid after doing step 1. Wash car, while wet spray 2-3 sprays per panel and dry with a microfiber. Buff with a second microfiber after drying the panel.

CancerStick fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Apr 30, 2022

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal
Just checked mine and it just says to skip the rinse the first time, so spray on a wet car, dry off. Subsequently, spray on a wet car, rinse off then dry.

I don’t suppose it matters but thought Someone Was Wrong On The Internet lol.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

When I did mine, it was spray on the wet car and then dry it. That is supposed to form a bond to the paint. After that, subsequent washes only require that you spray on the wet car and rinse off with high pressure. It's supposed to bond to the existing ceramic wax. They recommend drying after that. I will say that it was definitely a better and smoother finish after the second and third washes.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

BraveUlysses posted:

honestly a great idea if you dont have an air compressor for a tool that blows that stuff out of carpet

I bought an el cheapo air pulse blow gun on Amazon based on this post. I have yet to use it for carpet, but it does a magnificent job blowing the dust out of a dirty vacuum filter. God drat, it looked factory fresh when I was done. The brushing action on top of the "jiggling" air flow was awesome for the task.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I've never owned a new car or new wheels before so I haven't really worried about keeping them as clean as possible, but I just got some Work S1HCs and would like to try and keep them as clean as possible until they inevitably get scratched up off-road:

Should I ceramic coat them or just wax them? Coat them before the tires are even installed? I think the last time I bought some ceramic coating McKee's was the AI choice, although that exact coating isn't even sold anymore on Amazon. Is there a new and better option?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

MomJeans420 posted:

I've never owned a new car or new wheels before so I haven't really worried about keeping them as clean as possible, but I just got some Work S1HCs and would like to try and keep them as clean as possible until they inevitably get scratched up off-road:

Should I ceramic coat them or just wax them? Coat them before the tires are even installed? I think the last time I bought some ceramic coating McKee's was the AI choice, although that exact coating isn't even sold anymore on Amazon. Is there a new and better option?

I can't suggest how you ceramic coat them (before or after mounting) but I can recommend you actually do the ceramic. It's insane how easily a whole car is to clean when its been coated, including the wheels.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
They make all kinds of products just for wheels, but hitting mine with my turtle wax Hybrid Solutions Ceramic Wax Spray Coating helped. (I'd only ever used waxes before, on the body only)

I also hit my glass with it for the hydrophobic properties, is that encouraged?

I did it after a deep strip/clean and iron remover, then synthetic clay but since my car was practically new I didn't really notice it react to much thankfully.

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
My windshield has some scuffs, flecks, and a lot of glare at night. the standard windex with microfiber hasn’t gotten it appreciably clean enough, so I picked up a couple clay bars. I’m planning on washing with soapy water then clay barring.

Should I put any wax or other protectant product on the windshield, either to encourage water beading or prevent dust and dirt from getting lodged in the glass?

If the claybarring doesn’t do the trick, I guess I gotta buy a buffer, right?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

If windshield clay doesn't do it I suppose you could try some aquapel or something, but unless this is an odd or special car just get a new windshield put in it.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

MomJeans420 posted:

I ceramic coated my new wheels after the tires were mounted and am very glad I did. Rinsing alone usually takes care of it and they still look new.

I used this stuff

https://www.amazon.com/Cquartz-Dlux..._bap_m_rp_24_sc

It was a while ago so no idea if it's still good or what the new hotness is.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

What do y'all like for an aluminum safe degreaser? Pretty sure my new bike has never been washed from the tank down in 15 years so I have tons of layers of old oil and grime to deal with.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Head Bee Guy posted:

My windshield has some scuffs, flecks, and a lot of glare at night. the standard windex with microfiber hasn’t gotten it appreciably clean enough, so I picked up a couple clay bars. I’m planning on washing with soapy water then clay barring.

Should I put any wax or other protectant product on the windshield, either to encourage water beading or prevent dust and dirt from getting lodged in the glass?

If the claybarring doesn’t do the trick, I guess I gotta buy a buffer, right?

Buffing glass is painful and I highly suggest you watch a few videos on how to do it before attempting it yourself. Some tips I can give you from personal experience:

Prep)
-Dawn dish soap first, then a clay bar, then invisiglass.
- buy a new pack of microfibers for the job.
- Tape and bag the ENTIRE area surrounding the windshield. The cutting compound is a mess.
- Don’t try and buff more than a 1/4th of the windshield at a time. Unlike paint, you need a good amount of heat and friction to buff glass, and the compound dries out quickly.
- Do this in the garage and out of direct sunlight. For your skin, and because hot glass will bake your compound and ruin your results.
- Do not get cheap compound or pads for the job! They will make your life miserable!

The last windshield I did took 2 hours, but it looked brand new.

Here’s a decent video on the process:

https://youtu.be/aVUtdlzrktI

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 19:38 on May 22, 2022

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

opengl128 posted:

What do y'all like for an aluminum safe degreaser? Pretty sure my new bike has never been washed from the tank down in 15 years so I have tons of layers of old oil and grime to deal with.

Dawn dish soap and a clay bar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

There's lots of little nooks and crannies I have no chance of getting clay into so I was hoping I could soak it all and go after it with some stiff brushes.