Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

War Bunny
Jul 7, 2009

I don't silflay at this time, sir.

meatpimp posted:

Why would you? If there's light dust or pollen on it, you can use an old school "California Magic Duster" or whatever. If it's more that superficial (something you couldn't blow off with your mouth), then it needs to be washed.

The California Magic Duster worked well with my black 08 Tacoma when I needed to get the pollen off of an otherwise clean truck. Tried the same with my Subaru and got scratches. I guess it just depends on the car/paint. My wife's 03 CRV is generally neglected, but when I do detail it, I'm amazed on how hard and swirl/scratch resistent the paint is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001
So I have some clearcoat failure on the hood of my Mercedes.
There is that one guy in Malaysia who posted his success with Opticoat, but are there any other stories out there?

Also, would I need to compound the all of the clear coat off in the affected areas? How do do I blend in the opti-coat?

THE BLACK NINJA
Mar 9, 2010
I have what I think are tiny hard water spots all over my Subaru. They didn't come off with meguiers gold class soap and a microfiber sponge. They are very small speck and can be removed with a fingernail.

How do I get this poo poo off my car?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

THE BLACK NINJA posted:

I have what I think are tiny hard water spots all over my Subaru. They didn't come off with meguiers gold class soap and a microfiber sponge. They are very small speck and can be removed with a fingernail.

How do I get this poo poo off my car?

Try clay first, remember to go from least aggressive to most aggressive first.

If clay doesn't work, 4000 grit with some ultimate compound/polish and a buffer would work fine.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Tai-Pan posted:

So I have some clearcoat failure on the hood of my Mercedes.
There is that one guy in Malaysia who posted his success with Opticoat, but are there any other stories out there?

Also, would I need to compound the all of the clear coat off in the affected areas? How do do I blend in the opti-coat?

What is Opticoat? Is it some ghetto home weekend solution to get you by on a car with a destroyed clear coat? Because that's would be perfect for my car. At this point I lack the $$ to pay for a decent paint job and don't want to cheap out with a Maaco one. I just need something to get my paint looking a little better as a temp solution.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Astroman posted:

What is Opticoat? Is it some ghetto home weekend solution to get you by on a car with a destroyed clear coat? Because that's would be perfect for my car. At this point I lack the $$ to pay for a decent paint job and don't want to cheap out with a Maaco one. I just need something to get my paint looking a little better as a temp solution.
No. It's a hardened top coat substance that adds a layer of protection over the top coat but underneath the wax. It should last up to 12 months on a daily driver depending on where you drive it.

It's much softer than a clear coat, but harder than a wax.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
Used Optimum No Rinse for the first time today and I gotta say that I'm drat impressed. The only thing I would have done differently is washed one panel at a time, because it dried and left gross water spots everywhere by the time I made it around the car. My fancy Absorber towel thing was able to clean the water spots off and dry the car better, but I should have been using it on each panel as I washed.

It definitely doesn't do as good of a job as a full wash with a hose, but for a single bucket quick clean it did just what I hoped for. Now I have a nice clean car and it only took ~20 minutes including Invisible Glassing the windows.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Tested my Griot's random orbital with Machine Polish 3 on my mower this weekend. It's a single stage paint but wow. Afterwards I put some Chemical Guys Butter Wet Wax on. Only the last picture is with wax.

Guess I'll put it on the bike and car next.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006
I got some insomnia-purchased Chemical Guys products today. I wish I'd taken before and after pictures, but I wasn't expecting anything to work as well as it did.

Lightning Fast Stain Extractor painlessly got the months worth of Coke out of my brother's Jeep as well as some bike grease. We're talking stuff I've tried repeatedly to remove with other products. There's still some ghosting on the really bad areas, but literally all I did was spray it on, let it dwell for 30 seconds, and wipe/blot it up. I'll have to give it a little more work this weekend, and maybe try a stronger dilution. At any rate it looks much better than it did.

The Diablo Wheel Gel tore through brake dust that's been there since I bought the car. Having previously tried toothbrushes, wheel brushes, wheel cleaners, micro abrasive chrome polish, and swearing, color me impressed. I mixed up some Diablo from the concentrate, sprayed it on, and watched the crap dissolve in front of my eyes. It didn't get everything by itself, but a little brush action handled the stragglers. Hitting it with a little mist of water made my working time basically infinite with one application. It's no Sonax (and your wheels unfortunately don't start hemorrhaging blood) but I'm happy with it for the price. Also, anything that smells like Bazooka is alright by me.

I also bought their rendition of Optimum No Rinse, EcoWash, but the sun's a little brutal to try that just yet.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

wallaka posted:

Tested my Griot's random orbital with Machine Polish 3 on my mower this weekend. It's a single stage paint but wow. Afterwards I put some Chemical Guys Butter Wet Wax on. Only the last picture is with wax.

Guess I'll put it on the bike and car next.

these look wonderful!

Blinky Blinkerson
May 9, 2006

So, in the above picture I've started polishing the square in the upper left of the photo. I'm using the PC7424XP and started with an LC Orange pad with Meguire's 105 and then finished it with an LC white pad and Meguire's 205.

It looks a lot better, but not what I think it should look like. Can I get the rest of the defects out with this buffer / pad / polish combination ?

(fyi this is a beater truck. the hood in the photo is from a junk yard and it doesn't match the rest of the truck. so it's in no way critical or life altering if I gently caress it up.)

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Blinky Blinkerson posted:

So, in the above picture I've started polishing the square in the upper left of the photo. I'm using the PC7424XP and started with an LC Orange pad with Meguire's 105 and then finished it with an LC white pad and Meguire's 205.

I think you need to get a more aggressive compound. Something like Meguiar's #83 Dual Action Cleaner/Polish or even careful use of #85 Diamond Cut Compound.

When you actually start taking material away, you obviously need to be extremely careful, but it can give tremendous results. On the single-stage black I had on my old Miata, there were a couple times that I went full-on with it, using #85 Diamond Cut over the whole car. Diamond cut will leave your finish looking like you went at it with sandpaper. But, polishing it back through the various steps (I went from the cutting compound to #83 to #82 and then to wax) resulted in an unbelievable depth and gloss.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Never had a problem with the Megs stuff. Turned my lovely gray Altima back to black.

A month later and back to gray :effort:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Blinky Blinkerson posted:

It looks a lot better, but not what I think it should look like. Can I get the rest of the defects out with this buffer / pad / polish combination ?

(fyi this is a beater truck. the hood in the photo is from a junk yard and it doesn't match the rest of the truck. so it's in no way critical or life altering if I gently caress it up.)

M105 is some good stuff, I would keep using it, however I would switch to a Meguire's wool pad to clean it up a bit more. You really can't get much more aggressive than M105/Wool Pad other than a rotary buffer. But if you do that be prepared to be really REALLY careful.

In conclusion:
PC7424XP/Wool Pad/M105 is your best bet to finish the job.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I bought a cheapo £15 buffer today, washed the cars for the first time in 18 months & went to town on mine with T-cut. In conclusion - I need a proper polishing compound, more aggressive definitely, also more polishing covers & a wax to protect it when I've done a proper job. Tomorrow - The wifes car gets a dose.

No pictures as its dark now, vast improvement though.

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

Ok, so my mom's (and sometimes mine) Saab has rims that look like total poo poo. Sure, the scratches from scraping into a curb on the right front rim can't be removed but the entire rims are like brown-black and horrible. What should I put on them to get that off them?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Cached Money posted:

Ok, so my mom's (and sometimes mine) Saab has rims that look like total poo poo. Sure, the scratches from scraping into a curb on the right front rim can't be removed but the entire rims are like brown-black and horrible. What should I put on them to get that off them?

Simple Green first, lightly scrub with plastic bristle scrub brush. Then go at the brown-black stains with a Magic Eraser.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Or paint them black :v:

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

meatpimp posted:

Simple Green first, lightly scrub with plastic bristle scrub brush. Then go at the brown-black stains with a Magic Eraser.

I have no idea if I can get that stuff in Sweden, how about the specialized rim cleaners (i.e Turtle Wax) you can get at the gas stations and hardware stores here?

Edit: Also one day when I have a ton of money to spend I want to polish the Saab back to perfection, it's swirled to poo poo right now.

Cached Money fucked around with this message at 12:52 on May 17, 2012

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So yesterday I attacked some paint transfer on the side of my truck. I used a basic turtle wax rubbing compound to get it off and it looks fantastic, I'm shocked how much came off and how quickly. I ran a bit of it over a few scratched spots and got excellent results there as well. There's also a few small chips here and there in the bed that I'd like to clean up, what's the word on touch up paint? Waste of time?

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

Cached Money posted:

A1 A-to-Z Wheel and Tire cleaner seems to be the best thing I've found that doesn't involve dangerous chemicals or potential damage for old crusty stuck on there grimy lovely brake filth. Magic erasers (melamine foam or whatever) seem to work really well when it's just a normal dusty coating of brake dust. Sweden though...

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Rhyno posted:

So yesterday I attacked some paint transfer on the side of my truck. I used a basic turtle wax rubbing compound to get it off and it looks fantastic, I'm shocked how much came off and how quickly. I ran a bit of it over a few scratched spots and got excellent results there as well. There's also a few small chips here and there in the bed that I'd like to clean up, what's the word on touch up paint? Waste of time?

http://www.drcolorchip.com/

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

ratbert90 posted:

http://www.drcolorchip.com/

Awesome, you are awesome.

Another question, my MS6 has a massive chip in the clear coat on the hood from the PO. I will post pics later as I'm at work but is there a good way to repair clear without a full respray?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Touch up paint can be crap, but treat it like what it is, painting a car, and don't just blob it on everywhere. Taking your time, doing several thin coats, and wetsanding it can do quite a nice job.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

InitialDave posted:

Touch up paint can be crap, but treat it like what it is, painting a car, and don't just blob it on everywhere. Taking your time, doing several thin coats, and wetsanding it can do quite a nice job.

I'm just trying to put off the full respray for another year or so, the car has quite a few large scratches but I don't want to dump all my money into one car right now.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Rhyno posted:

Awesome, you are awesome.

Another question, my MS6 has a massive chip in the clear coat on the hood from the PO. I will post pics later as I'm at work but is there a good way to repair clear without a full respray?

If you are patient and go slow in a very clean area, you can use rattle-can clear. I have done it before with really good results.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

ratbert90 posted:

If you are patient and go slow in a very clean area, you can use rattle-can clear. I have done it before with really good results.

I didn't think that would work at all. There's a few stress cracks in the clear from the removal of a sticker (PO did it) so I might have to chip off some more clear before I start.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Rhyno posted:

I didn't think that would work at all. There's a few stress cracks in the clear from the removal of a sticker (PO did it) so I might have to chip off some more clear before I start.

Not chip, sand.

This is basically small panel repair at this point, not detailing.

And spot repairs aren't that expensive if you just want to bring it somewhere.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Motronic posted:

Not chip, sand.

This is basically small panel repair at this point, not detailing.

And spot repairs aren't that expensive if you just want to bring it somewhere.

I'll get some good pictures up tomorrow. The car had a few flaws when I got it but it's been a magnet for attack since then. There's so many small dings and scratches it might be worth having it done professionally but I was hoping to hold off on that.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Took a good long look at my car in good sunlight & found the clearcoat is crazed on one rear quarter. The car is worthless so it's not getting repainted but is there anything I can do cheaply/myself?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Here's my hood damage

It's through the clear but the paint itself is intact. Should I try fixing it myself?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Probably no, but there's no indication of scale there. How big is the damage? Throw a quarter or a dime in that photo. Or a newspaper if it's really horrible.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Total area is 5 inches across.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
That is going to require a respray.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

ratbert90 posted:

That is going to require a respray.

I figured. Anything I can do to keep it from getting worse until then?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Rhyno posted:

I figured. Anything I can do to keep it from getting worse until then?

opticoat/wax. When you do that, clay it first so it's free of dirt.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

ratbert90 posted:

opticoat/wax. When you do that, clay it first so it's free of dirt.

I'll give it a shot this week. The rear bumper also needs to be redone and there's a bunch of small dents and dings on the car that will also need to be done.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
If it's old enough perhaps finding a junkyard bumper/hood would work? If the paint from the junkyard is just faded/swirled/dirty it would buff right up in most cases.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

ratbert90 posted:

If it's old enough perhaps finding a junkyard bumper/hood would work? If the paint from the junkyard is just faded/swirled/dirty it would buff right up in most cases.

Not likely, it's a 2007 Mazdaspeed 6 in Black Mica. The hood and bumpers were unique to the model and they had a very small production run over the two years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Well that's really lame. My Suggestion is this then:

Buff the hood so all the swirls are gone, that way the auto body shop will have a much MUCH easier time matching paint.

Or do what I did and find somebody off of craigslist who was out on his luck but had 20 years of auto body experience . :v: He painted my spoiler, hood, front bumper, and back bumper for 200$ + paint. The nearest quote I got was 1,000$ from a auto body shop down the road.