Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
From my understanding, to have any real effect you really need to use Cerium-Oxide with the proper pads and a ton of time on your hands. A rotary will work much faster than a DA. There are some good YouTube detailers that showcase this. I compounded the windshield on my Dads V70 with normal paint compound and it maybe removed the very lightest of scratches, as well as deep cleaning the window. His windshield is a perfect example of how quickly windshields get scratched on cars that are never washed. My 2010 car has much less scratches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!
If I want to try Megs Hybrid Ceramic wax, should this be used instead of a carnauba wax, or on top of one? The car needs a clay bar and two stages of polish so assume that has been done beforehand too.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Here4DaGangBang posted:

If I want to try Megs Hybrid Ceramic wax, should this be used instead of a carnauba wax, or on top of one? The car needs a clay bar and two stages of polish so assume that has been done beforehand too.

To be honest, it can be used both ways. Depends on how you prep it and how you are going to use it going forward. It will definitely mask anything under it. Hard to tell how it'll react with carnuba wax. Probably not in a very meaningful way if you are going to use it as a drying aid. Another similar (but not Si02 based) product is Sonax Brilliant Shine Detailer which has been going under radar but is universally praised. I'm going to buy and try it as a drying aid. Just going to have a think about my wash routine. Going to try to get at least a wash in every weekend or every other weekend.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Now that it's rained, any tips on applying aquapel? I put it on a windshield last weekend, but the water doesn't seem to be beading up and falling off like I hoped. I cleaned the windshield first, polished it with Duragloss 755 and a white pad, cleaned it again with alcohol, then applied aquapel with applicator and buffed it out until it was gone. Doesn't seem to have done poo poo? The amazon comments either said it was amazing or they said it was must have been fake and didn't do poo poo, so I don't know if I received legitimate aquapel or not.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

MrOnBicycle posted:

From my understanding, to have any real effect you really need to use Cerium-Oxide with the proper pads and a ton of time on your hands. A rotary will work much faster than a DA. There are some good YouTube detailers that showcase this. I compounded the windshield on my Dads V70 with normal paint compound and it maybe removed the very lightest of scratches, as well as deep cleaning the window. His windshield is a perfect example of how quickly windshields get scratched on cars that are never washed. My 2010 car has much less scratches.

Yeah I've watched a few videos of guys using various kits with cerium-oxide and a rotary polisher. Should I still be able to achieve good results with a DA assuming I have the correct rayon pad and polishing compound?

I don't have a good idea of how long this type of thing would take to complete but I would love to have better optical clarity through the windshield, and a ceramic coat on the glass sounds like a good addition if it isn't all too expensive.

Re: Aquapel on Amazon I couldn't figure out what to make of it. I saw the same mixed reviews. Single use original package Aquapel was crazy expensive but then there were sellers selling bulk packages for quite a discount. I couldn't tell if they were counterfeit or just someone reselling them under the table or something like that. I was tempted to try it when I first heard about it.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

A lot of the reviews on amazon that said it was fake complained about the lack of smell, and I didn't notice any smell on the 3 pack I bought. I might just pay the $10/applicator direct from Aquapel and see if looks/smells/works different.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

MomJeans420 posted:

A lot of the reviews on amazon that said it was fake complained about the lack of smell, and I didn't notice any smell on the 3 pack I bought. I might just pay the $10/applicator direct from Aquapel and see if looks/smells/works different.

Aquapel has an extreme gasoline-like chemical smell that will take your breath away, you can see the vapors against the glass when you are first applying it. If you didn't notice a smell then yeah my bet is you got some fake stuff. Real aquapel is the best, we even use it on our shower door.
Complain to Amazon about it and get a refund!

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Yeah I was thinking about buying the bulk pack to apply to my shower glass. But first I need to find a good glass cleaner to remove the mineral and water spots. Halp

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Anyone else tried Chemical Guy's Trim Clean Wax & Oil Remover? I used some for a white wax mark on a mate's car's black trim, and was impressed, but it doesn't seem very effective on polish stains as opposed to wax stains, though in fairness it doesn't claim to be useful there.

Here4DaGangBang posted:

Should be able to do either. On a "naked" panel, I applied an initial coat of some HCW by spraying a mist over the panel, wiping/spreading, then misting with water, and wiping/spreading again. Seemed to work well. Next wash got a "normal" mist-and-rinse application.

It's certainly not bad stuff, even a couple of weeks later without even having washed the car, it still does that :dukedog: thing where the beading on the bonnet just starts collating together and pushing rearward as you accelerate to leave the panel fairly clear.

Have also applied it on a panel that was already done with Meg's ultimate wax and quick detailer with similar results.

I'd say that if you already have a nice waxed finish, don't worry about trying to clean the surface off before applying HCW, but for what you described, I'd just go straight in with the HCW as a single stage final finish.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

MetaJew posted:

Yeah I was thinking about buying the bulk pack to apply to my shower glass. But first I need to find a good glass cleaner to remove the mineral and water spots. Halp

Is there any difference between automotive windows and typical glass? If not then I'd do what I do on old cars with water spots, water and 0000 steel wool. And a bunch of time.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

KakerMix posted:

Is there any difference between automotive windows and typical glass?
In terms of the surface you're actually working, probably not.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

KakerMix posted:

Is there any difference between automotive windows and typical glass? If not then I'd do what I do on old cars with water spots, water and 0000 steel wool. And a bunch of time.

Vast difference. I've never made a dent in a windshield with regular wear. The normal, everyday pits are way to deep to polish out, and to do so, you'd need so much abrasive, force, and/or pressure that you'd be heating up and busting the glass. The only glass I've been able to successfully polish anything out of is side glass, and that was using this: https://www.mckees37.com/water-spot-remover.html

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

meatpimp posted:

Vast difference. I've never made a dent in a windshield with regular wear. The normal, everyday pits are way to deep to polish out, and to do so, you'd need so much abrasive, force, and/or pressure that you'd be heating up and busting the glass. The only glass I've been able to successfully polish anything out of is side glass, and that was using this: https://www.mckees37.com/water-spot-remover.html

I meant side glass vs windshield glass, but that Mckees stuff looks pretty interesting. I've had both an 85 Rugger and 85 Hilux with absolutely ancient water spots on not-windshield glass that I could only get out with the steel wool, just takes a long time and moderate pressure.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Has anyone had success with a low flow (1.2 gpm) electric pressure washer and a foam cannon? Searching around says that the Chemical Guys' one goes down to 1.4, but that was the closest one.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3
Cleaned my engine bay for the first time.
I used "Super Clean" foaming spray to clean and de-grease, then used a Metro blower to dry everything, and finally hit the many plastic bits with Meguiars Ultimate Black.
I've seen trusted experts (Larry from Ammo, Pan the Organizer) say that most modern (past 10 years or so) car engine bays are fairly waterproof, but I still felt apprehensive rinsing things off with the hose.
Thankfully, everything fired up with no issues, and it is oddly satisfying to see everything so nice and clean, even though folks aren't likely to lift the hood on my grocery hauler!
Before:

After:

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Phone posted:

Has anyone had success with a low flow (1.2 gpm) electric pressure washer and a foam cannon? Searching around says that the Chemical Guys' one goes down to 1.4, but that was the closest one.

I use a cheap sunjoe spx3000 which is rated 1.76gpm (likely doesn't actually achieve that though) with a matcc "upgraded" foam canon from Amazon and it works pretty drat well for Instagram worthy foam. I've been using chemical guys Mr. Pink wash for the below.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

I have the el cheapo 1.3gpm Harbot Freight guy and it does just fine too, using this foam canon that says it needs 2.0gpm.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00WPKHFA6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I’m not convinced foam cannons really do anything. Can someone enlighten me? I mean, don’t get me wrong, it would be extremely satisfy to use though.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Just my own opinion, but I feel you still need to brush the car to get rid of the film and what not. I know that touchless car washes are "better", but I always liked that soft cloth washes seem to actually rub off the poo poo on your car, like the areas on the windshield that aren't swept by the wipers for example.
Problem being of course they're "worse" in the fact that who knows what kind of grit is embedded in the cloths themselves from the 345234627 other cars that were there before ours.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Yeah honestly it's fun but it doesn't get the car cleaner or anything. I guess the idea is you hose it down with soap first to lift off some contaminants before any kind of contact washing. Dunno how true that is in practice.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Red_Fred posted:

I’m not convinced foam cannons really do anything. Can someone enlighten me? I mean, don’t get me wrong, it would be extremely satisfy to use though.
Letting a detergent soak on the panels for a bit does help soften up crud, a good amount of which will then come off with the pressure washer rinse. As long as you treat snow foaming as a pre-wash rather than a one-and-done process, it has merit.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

InitialDave posted:

Letting a detergent soak on the panels for a bit does help soften up crud, a good amount of which will then come off with the pressure washer rinse. As long as you treat snow foaming as a pre-wash rather than a one-and-done process, it has merit.

Yeah I figured it would help a bit but for those of us without a power washer it’s a big cost step for a low return I guess. If you’ve already got a power though then yeah, go ham.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The whole point it's to fight scratches, that's about it. Emulsify and encapsulate dirt before a wash mit ever touches the car. It doesn't get it any cleaner.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

I remember reading that a less foamy and more soapy water compositions are better at actually cleaning but it's just satisfying to do full snow foam on a car and it stays on there nicely which as mentioned helps keep things wet. It's also speedier to do it with a pressure washer rather than hose and buckets and whatnot.

If you have a ceramic coating then you can just do full touchless with rinse, snow, rinse, and blow dry to get it back to looking 100% as long as it's not heavily soiled to begin with.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Snow foam is a bit of a hype train. Forensic detailing channel tested a ton and found what Bajaha said, the foaming itself does little. Bilt Hamber Auto foam is one of the, if not the best "snow" foam he's tested and it doesn't foam much. I have it and use it from a garden sprayer. It's basically a pre-wash stage to emulsify and loosen as much dirt etc.

So if you get the right stuff it'll be very useful, but just getting something that looks nice if a bit of a waste.

In my own detailing news I finally got my rear end in gear and made a proper "routine" using the stuff I already have + bought some stuff to complete the routine now that I've got a new car coming. Was very impressed with the demonstration of Colorlock leather products that featured on Obsessed Garage, so ordered a kit. Pretty cheap for what you get. Going to give PPF a go as well.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

MrOnBicycle posted:

Snow foam is a bit of a hype train. Forensic detailing channel tested a ton and found what Bajaha said, the foaming itself does little. Bilt Hamber Auto foam is one of the, if not the best "snow" foam he's tested and it doesn't foam much. I have it and use it from a garden sprayer. It's basically a pre-wash stage to emulsify and loosen as much dirt etc.

So if you get the right stuff it'll be very useful, but just getting something that looks nice if a bit of a waste.

In my own detailing news I finally got my rear end in gear and made a proper "routine" using the stuff I already have + bought some stuff to complete the routine now that I've got a new car coming. Was very impressed with the demonstration of Colorlock leather products that featured on Obsessed Garage, so ordered a kit. Pretty cheap for what you get. Going to give PPF a go as well.

How well does the garden sprayer work? I thought about doing that but wasn’t sure it would really work.

The Obsessed Garage guy really gives me the creeps, can’t quite put my finger on why. Clearly knows his stuff though.

Forensic Detailing guy is good though.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Red_Fred posted:

How well does the garden sprayer work? I thought about doing that but wasn’t sure it would really work.

The Obsessed Garage guy really gives me the creeps, can’t quite put my finger on why. Clearly knows his stuff though.

Forensic Detailing guy is good though.

Works very well and I don't have to care about remembering how much l/min my pressure washer output is in order to correctly dilute the snow foam coming out from the cannon (impact ratio or whatever it's called). It's a nice big 5L sprayer that we use for weed killing etc. In all honesty I find it much, much easier than doing the snow foam, and I can bring it to car wash places as well.

... and yeah he can be very abrasive and he's not right about everything (like snow foam, beadmaker being the best etc), but I respect the hunt for the best and at least he's not like Pan the Advertiser that just pushes all the crappy hyped products without a bad word.

Edit: Excited to try Bilt Hamber Atom-mac as well. Going to apply it once a week or so and hopefully prevent rust during the winter.

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Sep 30, 2019

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Yeah, the Bilt Hamber snow foam is good, I also find Auto Glym's one seems reasonable.

A few people have moved from two bucket washing to a single bucket with a foam cannon application of the soap, which makes sense in terms of reducing potential minor scratches, but you are kind of getting down to splitting hairs with it at that level.

InitialDave fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Sep 30, 2019

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I have a ceramic coating on the ND and I’m planning on doing it to a 04 Mazda3, and with the water and power being right there. It’s not going out of the way to incorporate a foam cannon if I can get rid of 1 or 2 buckets (at least the brake bucket, maybe the wash).

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
i got one of the gilmour garden sprayer foamers and really dont like it. didnt seem worth the effort imo.

but rather than throw it away, i'll ship it to anyone who wants it provided they pay for shipping. pm if interested.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Really? I liked mine before I got a pressure washer. Seemed to shoot the soap/foam out fine, and then just quick disconnect to rinse. Plus I could use an in-line water filter, which I'm not sure would play nice with the pressure washer.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Off topic but: This just reminded me of the second (?) episode of Roots.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
One of the reviews for a foam gun I read was just a guy saying it made washing more fun so he does it more often. That sold me on it.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Foam Party 2.0

blk
Dec 19, 2009
A mouse died in the blower of my Miata, it was in there a few days to a week before I found it (I thought the smell was in a garage where I had stored the car).

Mouse is gone, cleaned the fan, smell persists. Will running an ozone generator for 1-2 hours take care of it with the car fan running, or do I need to do something else?

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

I’d guess the ozone generator would do it. For lesser smells, or if you wanted to try something cheaper, these carbon bags seem to work pretty well. Pretty much wiped out the coffee odor when I spilled it on my dashboard.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
An ozone generator would absolutely remove the smell.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Where do you rent an ozone generator and how do you use it?

I have a set of two-piece motorcycle leathers that have got some bad funk that i have not been able to clean. Presumably I have to put the leathers and generator in some sort of sealed compartment?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

MetaJew posted:

Where do you rent an ozone generator and how do you use it?

I have a set of two-piece motorcycle leathers that have got some bad funk that i have not been able to clean. Presumably I have to put the leathers and generator in some sort of sealed compartment?

Don't rent, just buy. The previous link to Amazon is dead, but you can buy it straight from the company here: https://www.foreverozone.com/collections/air-ozone-generators/products/10-000-mg-h-bare-bones-ozone-generator-no-fan

Ozone absolutely annihilates odor. I've detailed my use in this thread. Just recently I had a dishwasher drain leak that had water in the basement. I used the ozone machine to disinfect and never smelled even a whiff of anything unpleasant. Maybe I wouldn't have anyway, but the ozone is a good backup.

I've got a couple dogs and a large master bedroom, about 17x19. The dogs sleep there and sometimes it can smell a bit "doggy" when you walk in. A 30 minute treatment of ozone and you can't even tell there have ever been pets in the room... only have to do that once every 12-18 months or so.

Basically... get an ozone generator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
What about the effect on plastics? Anything to worry about?