Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Had a truck tire disintegrate in front of me yesterday. I dodged most of it, but a couple of smaller pieces left basically black skid marks on my white car.

What's the best thing to use to clean those off?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

That's pretty much textbook case for claybar. Should do the trick.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

If this is an exceedingly dumb question, please light me up for it, but....

I picked up one of the Griot's synthetic clays to use this week and I was sort of checking out some online tutorials since I've never used it and they go on and on about using with SPEED SHINE or whatever and I'm sure they're just pitching their own product but is there any problem with me just using the Maguiar's Quik Detailer I've already got on hand? I can't imagine it being an issue but it wasn't cheap.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

LeeMajors posted:

If this is an exceedingly dumb question, please light me up for it, but....

I picked up one of the Griot's synthetic clays to use this week and I was sort of checking out some online tutorials since I've never used it and they go on and on about using with SPEED SHINE or whatever and I'm sure they're just pitching their own product but is there any problem with me just using the Maguiar's Quik Detailer I've already got on hand? I can't imagine it being an issue but it wasn't cheap.

Basically anything that gives it a bit of lube without being aggressive on the synthetic clay (like strong APC) should be fine. I use waterless wash when claying.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

MrOnBicycle posted:

Basically anything that gives it a bit of lube without being aggressive on the synthetic clay (like strong APC) should be fine. I use waterless wash when claying.

Ok good. I felt dumb even asking but being synthetic I didn't want to overlook something key with it and damage the surface of it if there was a need for using a specific proprietary chemical.

Thanks!

heffray
Sep 18, 2010

Bajaha posted:

That's pretty much textbook case for claybar. Should do the trick.

I haven't had success cleaning off rubber streaks with Griot's synthetic clay, maybe a real clay bar would work better.

Mothers Racing Rubber Remover works well for this, or Ammo NYC recommends a lot of spray wax and slightly warming it with a heat gun.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
i'm going to wash the truck for the first time sometime soon (no promises, it's been like 5+ years so what's another month or two) and there's some places in the bed where the paint's worn through and there's some surface rust... what's a semi-effort thing to do? buy some por15 and hit it with clearcoat?

keep in mind, i've owned this truck for 5+ years and i haven't washed it. ever.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
Is there a way to repair/conceal tiny little rock chips en masse? My wife's car has a zillion pinhole-sized chips across the front end of her car:

My finger for size reference...they're really small, and there are a lot of them...way more than I'd prefer to deal with individually. The paint is black pearlescent, so most of the tiny white spots you see are supposed to be there, which is why I circled the larger flaws. But I didn't circle all of them...many of the smaller specks are actually paint chips, too. I cleaned & clay-barred the area before I took the photos, so everything you see is paint or chips.

What I want to avoid is touch-up paint + touch-up clear coat. Like I said, there are literally thousands of these tiny flaws, so that's not a very practical option. The photos show like 8 to 10 square inches, and we're talking about the entire front end of an SUV.

I've tried tinted car polish (Turtle Wax Color Magic), and unsurprisingly it did nothing.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

No first hand experience but my understanding is Dr. Colorchip and their ilk work great. I plan to use it to try and hide the fact I should have gotten clear bra on my new car.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Just be aware that it if you do any sort of polishing later, you are likely going to remove the paint that gets deposited in there.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Not if the repair has been done properly. I always polish my chip repair. Haven't used Dr Colorchip, but Chipex.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Phone posted:

i'm going to wash the truck for the first time sometime soon (no promises, it's been like 5+ years so what's another month or two) and there's some places in the bed where the paint's worn through and there's some surface rust... what's a semi-effort thing to do? buy some por15 and hit it with clearcoat?

keep in mind, i've owned this truck for 5+ years and i haven't washed it. ever.

Post a picture. A few pages back i used this krud kutter rust remover and with a wipe it took off surface rust for me to touch up. its cheap and may be worth picking up a bottle and giving it a try for less than $10. Just don't let it sit like it says just spray it on and wipe off 30 seconds later.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

RIP Paul Walker posted:

No first hand experience but my understanding is Dr. Colorchip and their ilk work great. I plan to use it to try and hide the fact I should have gotten clear bra on my new car.

Yep. Worked great for me on a white BMW and grey/green Toyota.

MrOnBicycle posted:

Not if the repair has been done properly. I always polish my chip repair. Haven't used Dr Colorchip, but Chipex.

I never had problems, either. Just make sure it's had time to really cure out in the sun (a couple weeks, if not months) before getting aggressive.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Apparently I'm an idiotic, rear end in a top hat rube who's just used Windex for several decades and Invisible Glass is way loving better. Holy poo poo.

I tried out the Griot's synthetic clay with some Quik Detailer for some rough spots on my hood and water spots but I think the surface was a little too hot. It seemed to like to stick a little bit. Loaded that fucker down (and the surface) and still didn't really want to slide after the first pass.

I started first thing in the am but it's like 80 at sunrise here anyway and the truck is black. I buffed everything out and threw a coat of wax on the hood to make sure I didn't gently caress anything up (and it looks fine) but i'll probably wait awhile to try to clay it again - maybe this fall - unless I'm missing something really basic here.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
My favorite part of Invisible Glass is that everytime I reccomend it to someone, my main selling point is what it says on the can. "it makes glass invisible!" and every single time they look at me like I'm a complete idiot.

Then when they do try it they love it.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
A million pages ago I dropped in and was recommended the M27 Hybrid Ceramic.

After months of it sitting around (and applying it on my wife's car once) I finally had time to do a full paint correction on my black car with little metallic specs.

So, now that I'm at the sealant stage.... should my M27 look like purple water? All the videos I see have a cream consistency and that's how I remember it when I applied it to my wife's car. :confused:

Did it melt in my 90+ degree garage???

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Maybe a picture would help, purple water sounds kinda cool but I would imagine the answer is supposed to be "no that shouldn't happen"

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Did you give it a good shake? Might've just precipitated out.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

taqueso posted:

Maybe a picture would help, purple water sounds kinda cool but I would imagine the answer is supposed to be "no that shouldn't happen"
It's not terrible, just weird.

I did shake it a bunch, and even got some chopsticks in to see if it had gunked to the bottom. But it all had the consistency of watered down shampoo.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I would shoot meguiars and email, their support is usually pretty good. If nothing else, I think they would want to know about this.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

My McKee's ceramic coating turned into a thick jelly when it got old, FWIW

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
Can cutters/polishes be applied by hand? I'm looking at some very small spaces bordered by chrome trim that are too small for my 7-in rotary polisher.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
Compounds will usually say on the bottle if they can be used by hand. Off the top of my head, the new Uno protect from Rupes says it can.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Why is it that everyone seems to say not to use armorall on dashboards, door panels etc?

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

wesleywillis posted:

Why is it that everyone seems to say not to use armorall on dashboards, door panels etc?

because armor-all is absolute poo poo tier of products

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

wesleywillis posted:

Its greasy as hell. And stays greasy for a long time.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Because its not 303 aero

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Car failed MOT because of fogging on the headlights. Let's clean them up as per previous discussions in this thread.

Before & after:

Procedure:
1. Clean with regular cleaner
2. Drill pad with scotchbrite soaked in DOT4 brake fluid to remove oxidation
3. Turtle wax rubbing compound to smooth things out
4. Turtle wax normal wax to clear it further
5. Apply 2 spray coats rustoleum crystal clear gloss lacquer as per instructions, realise it makes things worse, go back to 3
6. More rubbing compound applications and finish up with two wax coats

Recommend skipping step 5 if you follow this process.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

So...... Don't use armorall because it just sucks as opposed to doing damage to dashboard, panels etc...?

Is this 303 aero something that can be picked up at most parts/big box stores or is it one of those hipster, obscure things that can only be found in one place during a particular time of year?

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

wesleywillis posted:

So...... Don't use armorall because it just sucks as opposed to doing damage to dashboard, panels etc...?

Is this 303 aero something that can be picked up at most parts/big box stores or is it one of those hipster, obscure things that can only be found in one place during a particular time of year?

I see it at car parts stores. Amazon has it too.

Armorall won't hurt your car but anything you touch with it will be slimy when you touch it for a long time after.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Jaded Burnout posted:

Car failed MOT because of fogging on the headlights. Let's clean them up as per previous discussions in this thread.

Procedure:
2. Drill pad with scotchbrite soaked in DOT4 brake fluid to remove oxidation

It's crazy to think of a car failing inspection from that, but then again in California we don't even have inspections past a smog check.

Also, I hope you were VERY careful with that brake fluid, that sounds like a bad idea compared to just using some polish.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

I don't know if its just urban legend, but I always remember hearing that if you dump brake fluid on a car's painted surface, it'll make the paint peel off. I guess assuming it stays on there long enough.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Yes that's why I masked it first.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Jaded Burnout posted:

4. Turtle wax normal wax to clear it further
5. Apply 2 spray coats rustoleum crystal clear gloss lacquer as per instructions, realise it makes things worse, go back to 3

That seems like those steps are in the wrong order. Paint doesn't stick to wax, which is probably why it went poorly.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Motronic posted:

That seems like those steps are in the wrong order. Paint doesn't stick to wax, which is probably why it went poorly.

Yeah, so I waxed it first to see if that would be good enough on its own, and cleaned it off when I got the paint. It did stick well and dried fine, it was just a lot more matt than I expected.

It's possible I didn't clean it off well enough and it interacted in an odd way, but I got where I needed to be without it in the end.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

wesleywillis posted:

There's other non lovely options too. I use the Meguiar's interior detailing spray and really like it. Zero greasiness, smells nice.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

MomJeans420 posted:

It's crazy to think of a car failing inspection from that, but then again in California we don't even have inspections past a smog check.

Same, because the last two cars I've done headlight restorations on were way, way worse than that by the time I got around to doing them.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

IOwnCalculus posted:

Same, because the last two cars I've done headlight restorations on were way, way worse than that by the time I got around to doing them.

They told me last year that it was getting close to failing, and it doesn't have the strongest beam, so perhaps the age of the car (and thus relatively low-strength headlights) that also contributes. They wheel up this box thing in front of the light and it gives a pass/fail based on some criteria.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Its not a bad thing, that faded as gently caress headlights could make a car fail. I wish more people actually took that poo poo serious. Actually having standards WRT headlights might make there be less assholes out with mad sick EHCH EYE DEEZ that blind the gently caress out of other drivers, and people who are oblivious to the fact that their headlights are either not on at night, or the lenses are so faded, that a candle would be more effective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I'm sure our testing standards have their flaws, but they do seem to be better than a lot of states purely based on stories I hear. Our MOT takes about an hour of a dedicated mechanic's time, per car, each year, and it's a national database so the cops can ping you on ANPR if it's expired.