Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McSpatula
Aug 5, 2006

WARnold posted:

Hey folks,

some tree sap sat on my car for a couple weeks, and left little bumps after washing thoroughly.
Neither rubbing, nor a magic eraser helped.

I read somewhere that a clay bar set should do the job - is that correct?
Or am I screwed?

For spot treating on a horizontal surface, fill a cup with warm water and a drop of dish soap, cover the opening of the cup with an index card or whatever you can find, flip the cup over, then place it onto the sap covered spot (card side first), pull the card out from under the cup and let it soak. If it's a vertical surface or just one of those tricky curved surfaces, you can kind of use clay around the rim to form a gasket to keep your fluids from spilling before a good soak sets.

You'll have to find a way to scale this to a larger size if you're doing more than a small spot treatment - a warm/hot soak and a grit sponge may do the trick, followed by the claying to get the rest out, then the usual glaze/seal/wax to make it easier to remove in the future.

Don't use melamine foam products on your paint, it's too abrasive and will marr the poo poo out of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpatula
Aug 5, 2006
You're best off taking it back, but if they refuse to help, and the scratch isn't very deep, most surfaces can be polished with a proper pad and cerium oxide powder slurry (or any premade glass polish containing this). Due to the nature of soft glass used, if you aren't very experienced with polishing the material, it'll be recommended that you seek professional help, as you'll most likely further worsen the surface condition with microabrasions that may further obstruct optical clarity.

McSpatula
Aug 5, 2006
That doesn't sound too bad. Try a good compound -> multi step polish -> glaze to hide the tiny imperfection.

Also for engine bay cleaning, scrubbing bubbles and a quick rinse has always worked for the show car guys out here.

McSpatula
Aug 5, 2006

Google Butt posted:

Any tips for removing dried polish splatter off plastic trim pieces? I didn't think to completely tape off the trim next to the side mirrors like an idiot. Carpro Eraser isn't really working that well, I've read peanut butter might work?

Have you tried dish soap, warm water, and rag? It should be more than enough to break down a little bit of polish.

Edit: you can also try diluted isopropyl alcohol, but it may destroy your plastic trim finish.

McSpatula fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Sep 2, 2014

McSpatula
Aug 5, 2006

dupersaurus posted:

I've got a few marks on my car from shoveling snow off of it last winter and I'm finally getting off my rear end to do something about them. But since I know nothing about detailing, here I am. So:

1) They don't appear to be scratches and I've been told they could be buffed off. Were I to do it myself, what would I need to get?
2) Considering my lack of experience would I be better off getting a pro to do it? How much :10bux: should I expect?
2a) I've got some paint chips I'm considering also taking care of, could I kill two birds with one stone with a body shop?

It just looks like surface contaminant. If I'm right, you'll be able to get it out with a clay bar / prep polish, but if you don't want to do any work, other than forking over goondar monies, treat your whip to a proper detailing with a machine polish. If those chips are small enough, chances are, you won't notice them after a good glaze, coat, seal. Prices vary based on location, check yelp for mobile detailers.