Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I'm in the UK so not all of these product recommendations work for me, also my car is a state as I've only washed it once in nearly 2 years. Anyway, walk me through this please:

Wash with dish soap, like, fairy liquid type stuff? So this takes off whatever wax is still on?

Any polishing/ buffing/scratch removal happens now right? Can someone (initialdave?) recommend a coarse -> fine serious of cheap compounds, also I'm willing to buy a buffer if this saves me weeks of lovely labour, what's a good starting point?

Does clay bar happen now or before the polishing?

Wax to protect all my hard work now? Recommendations as well please.

I'm borrowing a stream cleaner for the interior, thats a secondary project.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

meatpimp posted:

The Porter Cable Buffer is the standard. And it's worth it. I've had mine for over 12 years and it is as solid now as it was then.

Thats like £180 :stare: I think I'll get the £16 silverline & see whether its worth spending more.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

I bought a cheapo £15 buffer today, washed the cars for the first time in 18 months & went to town on mine with T-cut. In conclusion - I need a proper polishing compound, more aggressive definitely, also more polishing covers & a wax to protect it when I've done a proper job. Tomorrow - The wifes car gets a dose.

No pictures as its dark now, vast improvement though.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Or paint them black :v:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Took a good long look at my car in good sunlight & found the clearcoat is crazed on one rear quarter. The car is worthless so it's not getting repainted but is there anything I can do cheaply/myself?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

I need a harsher compound than t-cut, what's the next level up? They all have confusing names.

Also, repeating my question about crazed clearcoat on one quarter, anything I can do without a respray on non-metallic paint?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Thats a lovely car, what is it? Also, bonus comedy banana smell on yellow car.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

I'll ask again, I have some areas of crazed clear coat, will a harsher polishing compound make it look not so bad?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Exactly that. I'll try & get a photo but I think I'll get a harsher compound & see, I can't ruin the car at this point :v:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

I bought a 10 year old e46 tourer, PO obviously smoked a pipe. How do I get the smell out of the car, I've done nothing other than air it out so far?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

I have a titanium silver 2003 e46. There are a couple of rust spots inside the door apertures, nothing going through the metal but I'd like to stop them and do a passable job. My guess is it goes like so:

Sand back to good metal, defect is 1" diameter, bare metal area should be about 2" when I'm done.

Some spray primer

Some matching paint.

What have I missed? How do I mask it off nearly or does it not matter if I overlap the good paint? I need to get everything from halfords or similar so recommendations are welcome.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

meatpimp posted:

Can you get a picture?

Click for big

Key for scale

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

meatpimp posted:

Can you get a picture?

Cakefool posted:

Click for big

Key for scale

Anyone? I've never done any paintwork before

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

meatpimp posted:

Does that help at all?

Yes it does thanks. I've got a few of those fibreglass fibre bundle/pencils for the pores. I've not pulled the covers up yet, the trim clips are single use only and I'm cheap :v:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

I have a lot of grey plastic that I would like to make black again, some lovely generic black shine restorer did nothing, any suggestions?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Kenny Rogers posted:

Use a heat gun.

There are other videos out there, but this guy is the most entertaining.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S59fh-6Saaw

Wow, that top box is a complete transformation. I'll pick one of those up.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Washed both my wife car and mine yesterday, then just threw the (new) sponge away afterwards, it was gross even with the 2 bucket method.

Just for shits and giggles I also got the polisher and tcut out and did the front and one side of my wife's car. Swirling much improved, lots of scratches less noticeable but overall it's still a multipla :downsgun:

Also holy poo poo there's a million paint chips in my e46 that have started to rust, I need to get on that quickly.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

FogHelmut posted:

Is orange peel on the top of the clear coat, or is it between the clear coat and the paint?

Wash, clay bar, Sonax Polymer Netshield, Meguiar's NXT Tech Wax 2.0

I think Subaru considers you lucky that your car even comes with paint.

Orange peel is usually the texture of the paint exacerbated by the clear coat i believe?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

What's a good wheel cleaner I can get in the UK? I'm sure the thick caked on deposits of grime and brake dust are actually sending my wheels out of balance.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Which of these should I get?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=sonax+wheel&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Asonax+wheel

E: the wheel cleaners.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Nightmare fuel for anyone who didn't see it in the chat thread

cakesmith handyman posted:

The update. I know it's a thirteen year old car but it didn't look or feel like it. Apart from PO was a vaper and there's a mysterious oily substance inside the centre console. Disgusting twat. 

In case anyone thought I was exaggerating...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

I think it was spilled vape oil, but it was brown. Got most of it out with paper towels and just washed the rest off with hot soapy water in the sink.