Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blueblueblue
Mar 18, 2009

Motronic posted:

You bastards. Now I have something else to obsess over.

I know how you feel. Everytime I clean one of my cars and take all the wax and dirt off, I can see every little imperfection in the paint and I twitch just a little. My wife thinks I am crazy...I call it love.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blueblueblue
Mar 18, 2009
Use a microfiber mitt to apply the soap, you can get one for $4 at Autozone. I have no idea about using sponges, if they are abrasive enough to scrub food off of dishes, I would rather not use it on my car. If you are really up against the wall, I suppose you could use a microfiber towel.

The general rule I have learned, is use the least aggressive cleaning/polishing methods you can. I car with only a couple hundred miles will probably only need a wash, and a wax. Rubbing compound is for when you REALLY need to clean up the clearcoat. You can polish it if you really want to, you may or may not see a difference at all. I am not sure what "hand glaze" is. There is a lot of marketing in the detailing industry, try not to get suckered in to hype on the bottles.

My opinion about interior detailing is about the same; use the least aggressive solution that cleans any problems. If your new car "needs" scotchgaurd to protect it, you need to ask why. With regular cleaning, the interior should last a long time without any fancy protections. It is not bad to be paranoid, but dealers and marketing will take advantage of that feeling.

To apply any polish/compound/wax by hand, you can buy some microfiber application pads. They are different than normal towels, they should be soft and flat, as opposed to towels which have a lot of shag.

Best bet? Go look up DRIVE CLEAN on youtube. I will find some of his better videos that cover alot of these issues.

In the short run? Wash your car, clay if you really want to, then wax.

e; Everyone will have different opinions, mine may or may not be right, you have to research a lot for yourself.

blueblueblue fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Sep 17, 2013