Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bogatyr
Jul 20, 2009

Melthir posted:

I have a guy who just reported aboard with a 94 dodge diesel pickup. Structurally looks in great shape, almost no rust on the undercarriage but the paint is thrashed. The clear coat is bubbling up everywhere and the exposed paint is oxidized. Paint has flaked off in speckles to primer in some places and he has a couple of rock chips down to the metal. How would i go about removing the damaged clear coat without removing the good paint and start fixing the rest without breaking the bank. A new paint job up in Ketchikan AK is more than the truck is worth and he would like to keep the truck from rusting out in the land of liquid sunshine.

This probably made the rounds here... Rustoleum and elbow grease.

http://www.rickwrench.com/index79master.htm?http://www.rickwrench.com/50dollarpaint.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogatyr
Jul 20, 2009

amenenema posted:

So was that a flood car? How else could it get like that?

It has to be. Besides some places looking like dried puddles, a car that neglected would have wear and tear on things like the upholstery to go with it. It would have some spots where things were touched habitually in normal use, skin oil attracting more dirt there. Dirt rubbed off in other places.

e. AND ANOTHER THING...Lets say a person could somehow let a car get that dirty. Is it possible that they keep the body that straight? Not a chance.

Bogatyr fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Aug 17, 2016

Bogatyr
Jul 20, 2009

Dennis McClaren posted:

How much should I charge my friend to buff and polish his 2005 toyota tundra?

The paint isn't in too bad of shape. I would likely just wetsand with 1500/3000, compound, and polish with my circular, and do a quick spray wax to finish.

I worked as a buffer at a body shop for awhile, but I've never had to charge someone freelance before, so I'm not sure what to ask. It is a friend of mine, so I don't want to gouge him; but I also realize it's going to be a couple hours of my time so I want to be fair.

Body shop rates look to be around $75 an hour max. Consumables will figure into that number, just like how much you like your friend.

Bogatyr
Jul 20, 2009
Had my WRX in for Oil etc, peeked out the window and saw a porter drying it off with a chamois that had some miles on it, good thing my car is silver... I don't go to that dealer anymore.

Bogatyr
Jul 20, 2009
Random product recommendation.
I can't speak to it's long term effectiveness but I just picked up some NAPA protectant.
https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/MCR4316
I find it has a similar finish to 303 marine protectant. Gloss but it soaks/rubs in and doesn't leave a wet finish. 303 can be hard to come by and Amazon wants 15 bucks for the 303...

I don't know that the new plastics in cars need pricey protectants but I like the look from their use...