Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

ratbert90 posted:

Even though the op is old, dawn is still my go to for stripping old wax.

I should update the op next week when I have time with new and cool stuff.

Yes, please do this. I am looking to give my 20 year old M3 some much needed love.

So far I've gotten these items.

2 Buckets
Dish soap
Griot's synthetic clay bar
RO variable speed polisher, 5.5" plate, and 3 different pads
Meguiar's Ultimate compound and polish
Wax

I'd like to do a long lasting coating after doing all of this but I did not find a definitive opinion here. I read on autogeek about Klasse high gloss sealant and in here about opticoat/ceramics.

Once I have time to get cracking on it I'll post pics of the progress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

What is this ceramic stuff?

^^ Yes, this.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

I made some progress this weekend.

Washed.

Clayed

Compounded

I'll confess to buying the lovely HF orange pads when I got the RO polisher. Absolute trash.

The car has many miles and spent most of them in Texas and I'm sure that this is the first time it has ever been given this much attention.

The first couple of passes made big improvements but the paint was terrible so no surprise. The ultimate compound wasn't doing anything so I found an old black bottle kicking around labeled "3M RUBBING COMPOUND", without any further information on it, so I tried it out; it was much more aggressive.

I'm going to order an assortment of lake country or some other vendor pads and keep working on it.

The front clip needs to be resprayed quite badly so that will be a future project.

Hi M3 friend!

ThirstyBuck fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Sep 17, 2018

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

Following up my earlier posts.

I broke down and ordered a set of lake county pads for the RO polisher. They are sooooooo much better than the known trash from HF.
Here are the results. There are still a bunch of scratches in the clear but they wouldn't come out with the compounds that I had on hand. Guess I should have stepped it up and gotten some 105 or whatever the meguiar's liquid sand poo poo is. I even went so far as to put on the yellow/coarse pad that I got but still..the deep scratches did not come out.

I'm still happy with the way it looks; it's the best it has been while I've owned it.

The car is Alpine White.

Reflection of clouds off of trunk.

Right side with now shiny dent

Roof

Ignore everything but the paint, I didn't even clean the windows afterwards.

I'm looking forward to doing another car that doesn't have paint that lived in Texas for 20 years.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

What's the best way to clean my RO pads after use? I just bought a bunch and want to keep them in nice shape.