Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001
So I have some clearcoat failure on the hood of my Mercedes.
There is that one guy in Malaysia who posted his success with Opticoat, but are there any other stories out there?

Also, would I need to compound the all of the clear coat off in the affected areas? How do do I blend in the opti-coat?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001
I posted before, but didn't get much of a response.

I have two spots of clear-coat failure about dollar size each. I am not going spend $2,000 on a respray for a car worth $4,000.

What is the best process to
1) Hide the failure as much as I can.
2) Prevent it from spreading.

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001

meatpimp posted:

Damned people around here. Not giving you your :10bux: worth.

I'm OG, son. I never paid no ten bux!
(Aside from titles..)

meatpimp posted:

Once the clearcoat fails, it often gets worse in a hurry. If it were me, I'd try the new 3M spray-on clear bra: http://www.amazon.com/3M-90000-Paint-Defender-Spray/dp/B00BSKYM82 It would probably stop the propagation and blend some of the gloss loss. For $25, it's worth a shot.

Interesting. I ordered some of that. Any tips for feathering the edges of the clearcoat damage? I assume if I can minimize that, the spray-bra will look better.