Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Not sure if this is the right thread for this, but I have an unrestored 1966 Pontiac which has very beat-up & faded factory enamel paint on the hood & trunk surfaces. I have no real experience in detailing. I have tried polishing compound, polish, isopropyl alcohol, dish detergent, hand waxing, machine buffing with wax, and it still looks like crap. The only thing that seems to have any improvement is that 'color back' wax stuff but even that doesn't look right.

I'm guessing that at this point I either have to find a reliable pron in my area (I know no one) or have the panels sanded & repainted.

(edit) thanks for the link, I'll give it a try before trying to find a pro

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Mar 27, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

"Eyyy, you missed a spot!"

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Well, it took several years (my OP is waaay down-thread somewhere, from early 2013) but thanks to you folks, I managed to hugely improve the finish on my '66 Bonneville.

I've had this car since 2000, and, while I have maintained & repaired it meticulously, I let the finish go...part of it was not noticing; part ignorance. It wasn't until I'd looked at photos from years back that I realized how truly crappy the finish had gotten, particularly on the horizontal planes.

I'd considered having the car stripped & re-painted, including fixing 50+ -years of dings & damage, but a) I got the car to drive it, not to be terrified of anyone getting near it and b) it's loving expensive, even if I pull all the brightwork & mask it myself.

So I figured on making a run at getting the shine back. After consulting here, and following the links suggested, I educated myself about clay bars, waterless cleaning, and feeding the finish. These are the results:

First test pass

Second test pass

It's on! Loaded up with Meguiar's #7, left overnight. This was done three times.

Results after seven applications:

It's far from a modern perfect glaze, but it's miles better than I expected I'd ever get. Thanks, guys!

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Can't find the painting thread, so I'll ask here:

My '65 Econoline pickup is being painted (3-stage, metallic). As soon as that's done, it needs to be flatbedded over to the glass shop to have the fixed glass installed. Then flatbedded home so I can put the rest of the safety bits on (headlights, taillights, mirrors, roll-up windows).

It's going to be raining for pretty much the next seven days. I need to keep the interior dry.

What are your thoughts on tarping the truck right after being painted? I have an old comforter I can throw over the cab. The bed has been rhino-lined & is impervious.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

I'm possibly more paranoid, because I'd rather it not even get wet for at least a week.

Ja, it's about 10-minutes to the glass shop. Maybe an hour total door to door.

I can't really remove the interior , and absolutely cannot remove the glued-down carpet or the instruments. A little spritz is not bad; my concern is a full-on downpour, which it did a couple times today - though it drizzled this morning, and stopped completely by 2PM & actually dried out. It's this typical Northeast (US) spring weather.

It won't have the roll-up windows properly fitted, because the channels are pulled out so the sills could be painted. I have to do that when I get home, and it'll be weather-tight once they're done (though I plan on keeping it in the garage until I've installed all of the exterior peripherals).

First day of zero precipitation is Tuesday. The shop has not called yet. At this point, I'll be asking them if I can leave it there until Monday afternoon/Tuesday morning.

Maybe I could ask them to tape/wrap the interior, but even under 30MPH (it's all back roads) I don't know if the masking plastic sheeting/tape (it's like what - 1-mil?) will hold up...or where any accumulated water would go.

VVV I asked Maaco & the manager said in-house glass install might be possible, but hideously expensive.

I had discussed the time/weather issues with him before we came to an agreement. He knew the glass was out (preferable) and that there might be some delays getting the truck both into, and out of, his shop. He will probably be fine with it for a couple days, especially since they shut down on Sundays

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Mar 24, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Talked to the shop manager earlier this afternoon. Paint was to have been completed today. He has no problem keeping it in until Tuesday, the first clear day, and will whistle up a flatbed to get it to the glass shop.

Thank you for your input; glad I wasn't being paranoid.