Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
So I bought a bottle of Sonax Full Effect wheel cleaner after hearing about it online and god drat is this poo poo amazing.

Test Subject: My sisters VW, which had not been washed in probably ~6 months.

This was accomplished in less than 5 minutes using a large soft wheel brush.

Yeah, it works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

ratbert90 posted:

Bird poo poo is incredibly acidic and there is a good chance his paint might be hosed up.

This. I wipe poop off my car as soon as I see it.

Protip: If its totally hardened and stuck to the car, wet a paper towel and lay it over it for like 5 minutes. Then wipe the re-hydrated poop away.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
WD-40. Really.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Good lord.

http://lifehacker.com/restore-dirty-messy-plastics-with-olive-oil-952466792?autoplay=1

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
The other red flags were his mentions of using alcohol and Windex.

That said, I stumbled upon a professional detailing supply store last weekend and got a bottle of water-based tire dressing and water-based interior cleaner spray. The difference from store bought poo poo is astounding.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
WD-40. I know, it sounds insane. I have used this with a microfiber towel and removed the most glued on adhesive residue when removing a clear bra.

If its not insanely stuck on something less will probably work. You have to rewax after though as it strips any wax or sealant away completely.

By the way, NEVER get a clear bra. gently caress those things.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Will those plastic polishes get what appear to be basically calcium stains off of my plastic on the inside door sills of my BMW?

It looks like a couple waterspots where soapy water has dried but they are like ingrained in the plastic. That area also suffers from very mild scuffing from my shoes/dirt.

Its black plastic if that makes any difference.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
http://www.autopia-store.org/Ultra-Protectant.html

I have been using this dressing after finding it in a local detail supply shop and its excellent. It has that consistency you can apply with a sponge or brush, stays shiny all week, and is water based.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Protip on microfiber towels:

http://tinyurl.com/mty8baj

Once they get used a few times I just throw them out or put them in my kitchen cabinet for other more mundane jobs since they are so cheap.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

coolskillrex remix posted:

I bought these like 3 years ago, unless theyve changed theyre the shittiest microfibers known to man. Somehow costco has inadvertently stumbled upon technology that absorbs ZERO water. It will just push water around on your car. I can even put these under a faucet and water will slide off of it like i just sprayed the loving things in rustoleum never-wet.

I use them mainly for hand waxing and interior detail. Just wet and wring out one to use for drying and they work pretty well. I don't especially care if I don't get 100% of the water because I will be at least going back and using a spray detailer/wax to finish which would eliminate any steaks or spots.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Seriously Armor All is loving garbage and you can get superior products at basically the same price point from local detail supply shops or online. 90% of detail products at Pep Boys/Autozone/etc are complete garbage.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
So I was FINALLY able to remove my clear bra from my hood. gently caress those things forever.

There is a bit of residual adhesive on the hood that remains after using WD-40 to strip the majority of it away. WD-40 was the only thing that worked FYI.

Is is possible to take the rest off using a orbital and a heavy polish? Or will that just smash the adhesive further in?

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

the spyder posted:

Did you use a steamer?

Uh no thats probably a good idea! Danke.

What brand/type would you recommend? I suppose I could pick one up to also use on my car interior.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

PhoenixWing posted:

Tried it on the hatch.

:aaaaa:
You're a loving wizard.

:eyepop:

Welp now I know what to buy when I buy my Porter Cable.

Can you explain the wetsand process in more detail? Link?

Thanks.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

TATPants posted:

Unless your paint is completely messed up like his is, I would recommend against wet sanding. Post a pic of your car

Its a 05 BMW. In pretty good shape. I hand wax every month or so and wash weekly most of the time. It just has alot of web-type swirls. I also just recently took off my clear bra and theres a fairly significant difference on the hood where it used to be.

I think that kit by itself should probably do the trick after looking up some reviews on detailed image.

I will probably just but a PorterCable and that kit and I assume that will get me to where I want it to be.

Thanks.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
The car that refuses to be washed. :ohdear:

That video is kinda blowing my mind a bit.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
So my Porter Cable and Meguiars DA correction system arrived today. Gonna go at it Friday and hopefully wake up early Saturday to do Cars & Coffee.

Anyone have a link or advice on how to properly tape down the various gaps/molding/handles to prevent wax and polish from getting in there?

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Crosspostin' this because this took like 6 hours (probably more actually).

Got my Porter Cable 7424XP and Meguiars microfiber correction system.

I took my clear bra off after using a Bissel Steam Shot, detail spray, claybar, and so much elbow grease. As you can see, the paint difference was really noticible. :gonk:

After:

:science:

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Go to Costco and buy a huge pack for like $20.

Cold wash, air dry or mega low heat.

Also since they are like a dollar a piece I just throw em out when they get lovely.

Hi Trisk.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
I just machine wash, but only use the used ones for drying and interior work. I use the total poo poo ones to detail the wheels or other really dirty places and just throw em out. I also keep a few in the trunk/glovebox for spills/birdshit/etc.

I prefer to use the new ones for any/all rubbing on the paint.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Just buy SONAX Full Effect and a large brush and save yourself the hassle.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

BoyBlunder posted:

They have a claybar treatment for their next tier

Hahah what the gently caress.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
I would just call my insurance for something like that. That needs painting.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Galler posted:

Holy poo poo clay actually does what everyone says it does. Kinda thought it was as seen on TV grade nonsense for paint spergs, but I got my Autogeek order and spent a couple minutes on half my hood and there's a very obvious difference between the two halves. Even more obvious with the hand in a bag test.

Hell ya I remember the first time I used it. Especially on the areas where dirt gets kicked up by the tires. :aaaaa:

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
WD40 + claybar.

Use latex gloves please.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
The only thing that touches my paint is clean microfiber. (Not including DA pads)

Seriously there is no reason to ever use a brush on paint and those brushes are usually filthy.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Use Yelp and find a reputable tint shop and have a professional install it.

3M is very popular and thats what I have. 25% on the side windows, 20% rear.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Ya stop paying attention to the spinning and just do nice passes at moderate pressure. I then go really light at the final buffing stage and let it spin up more.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
I usually wash it under a faucet and then reattach it to the orbital and spin it up and use an old toothbrush to brush off dried on wax/etc.

Looks good!

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Use a water based product.

I've been using this:
http://www.autopia.org/forum/topic/126988-3ds-ultra-protectant-great-tire-shine/

If you have ArmorAll or whatever make sure to store that in your trash can for later non-use and disposal.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

ratbert90 posted:

Oh hey guys!

Folex is awesome!

You're insane and I love it.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
I bet a ton of that will come off with a clay bar and polish. Drywall is soft as hell be thankful you didnt scrape a block wall.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

FogHelmut posted:

Will a drive through car wash strip all the wax off of my car?

Unless its a "touchless" one that only sprays jets of water/soap, as said above, stay far far away.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
I just found one nearby that is at a gas station next to the freeway so if I ever need a good rinse I just run it through and hop on the freeway and boom, dry car.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
I've dropped my PC7424 so many loving times and I just don't care anymore because its so well built.

Chinatown fucked around with this message at 02:26 on May 26, 2014

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

meatpimp posted:

Detailing never ends

meatpimp posted:

Detailing never ends

meatpimp posted:

Detailing never ends

meatpimp posted:

Detailing never ends

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

always be closing posted:

I am also looking to buy a bunch of microfiber towels, amazon?

Costco.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Lamar Smith R-TX posted:

what wheel cleaning product(s) do you guys like? I had some extremely dusty (stock) pads for the last 4 months and it exhausted my stash. I'm ready to try something new.

Sonax.

Chinatown posted:

So I bought a bottle of Sonax Full Effect wheel cleaner after hearing about it online and god drat is this poo poo amazing.

Yeah, it works.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Yeah if I dont have time to do a proper wash on the weekends I hit a pay-n-spray and do the high pressure soap/rinse/spotless and get on the freeway and floor it.

Also the Mobil stations around me have automated touchless carwashes that cost like 5-6 bux so thats another option. Those are nice because they have the blowers at the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
SONAX Full Effect.

Chinatown posted:

Yeah, it works.