Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

I got an appointment for some dent repair. Now to read up on touch up paint and sanding/buffing it smooth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Anyone have opinions on stuff like Dr Colorchip or Chipex where you wipe away the excess with solvent? They get rave reviews, but if I need to do something with base coat and clear I am absolutely willing to.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Cool, thanks. That was the impression I was getting reading reviews.

taqueso fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Nov 19, 2019

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

The paint is bubbling up on this aluminum panel under the rear window. The affected area is about 7" wide. From reading about mustang hoods that have similar trouble, seems like the correct thing to do is to remove the paint and corrosion underneath, then prime and paint. This seems like a really big area to try to do touchup paint on. Any other options?

If I don't do anything, will I destroy this section if I try to compound/polish this panel with a dual action?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

2004 Volvo XC90, I doubt there is any warranty left unless this is somehow special

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

I guess the good news is that I can buy that panel on ebay for < $100. I think I'll wait on that a minute, though, I've been spending enough money on other car stuff.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

It must be possible to get whatever chemical it is cheaper than as part of a car product. Iron-X and Sonax Wheel Cleaner both have the same smell and they all seem to turn the same color. Both of those worked well but were expensive.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Anyone have some videos or information on molding/fusing car carpet? Or is it not practical to do that? Should I made a little slot to hide the edges where two pieces meet?

e: found this as a start
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TH9rSqPWAs

taqueso fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Feb 5, 2020

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Do you guys think 3M 2080 in matte black or satin black will match best with plastic trim? I want to cover the chrome exterior window trim.

There is some water on the trim in this photo, but hopefully it gives you an idea what it's like.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Maybe match isn't the right word. More 'look good with'. The only chrome on it is this stuff around the windows and some of the front grille. I don't feel like I have the skills to paint this stuff in a quality manner, tbh.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

meatpimp posted:

you're trying to match the satin and gloss trim around the windows themselves.

Great point, thanks!

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

polishing it probably wouldn't be too bad, but then you'll have to polish everything to match

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

If you run into a problem putting water on your engine, then something isn't sealing right and you found yourself a lil project.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

I'm thinking about painting my wheels, is this about what I'd need?

Sand or media blast first then

HF HVLP sprayer
Epoxy primer
Optional metallic basecoat
Urethane basecoat, ie for shimrin2 that'd be the base plus color plus fx plus reducer
Urethane clear coat

How many oz am I looking at for 4 wheels?

taqueso fucked around with this message at 16:52 on May 4, 2020

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

What kind of abrasive do I want to clean up my headlight housings? Looks like the PO tried to do it and gave up part way or something. I have Meguiar's 105 compound, Menzerna 2500 and 3500 compounds, and Abralon 1000 and 2000 sanding pads. Is any of that appropriate? Planning to shoot it with some 2k urethane clear after.

Seems like 1000 grit is an ok start from some googling

taqueso fucked around with this message at 22:48 on May 21, 2020

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Got half a bottle of rainx brand PlastX from family and gave it a go. It worked somewhat but it has very little bite and I couldn't get the job done. It still has haze in the worst areas but it is a surprisingly big improvement already. I can tell the difference between streetlights and my headlights now.

The photo actually looks worse than real life, I was worried if I would be able to capture the remaining haze in a picture but no problems there.

I'm trying to decide if I want to:
a) sand it to like 400/600 and then clearcoat, sand, more clear; which should leave me with a crystal clear finish if I understand the painting stuff I've read. My worry on this option is that I'm wrong and I might have to sand off the clearcoat.
or
b) get more plastic polish and keep on that track. My worries are that if I get the surface fully polished it won't have any tooth for the clear to stick to; and if I don't clearcoat, it will yellow quickly.

taqueso fucked around with this message at 17:26 on May 22, 2020

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

My thinking on 400/600 is based on car paint people saying paint sticks to those grits really well and fills in the sanding marks but I am very much a paint newb.

e: when I google trying to find an example of someone putting clear on headlights over a low grit sand, I can only find people sanding to like 2000/2500 so I'm probably totally wrong

taqueso fucked around with this message at 17:52 on May 22, 2020

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Cool, thanks for the confidence boost for 600 grit. I should be able to do it tonight.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Jesus loving christ there are so many interior detailing products. All I want is a good all purpose cleaner.

Meguiar's has the All Purpose Cleaner mentioned in the OP, but they also have this Ultimate Interior Detailer, and a few other sprays.

I hate the "greasy" crap that cheap detailers use inside my car. I really just want to get it clean and reasonably protected. What's the best option here?

Also, would love a recommendation for a leather cleaner that won't darken gray seats. Have had that issue with some of the hardware store wipes.

I got meguiars natural shine protectant as a non greasy armorall replacement and I like it. Does what it says. It looks clean not greasy shiny. Use any all purpose cleaner before it for the clean part.

For leather I have meguiars cleaner and meguiars conditioner and they are meh. I switched to leather stuff I had for boots and I like that more. Can't remember what I used off the top of my head. Probably saphir

taqueso fucked around with this message at 20:19 on May 22, 2020

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Tried sanding tonight, my plan was to try 320 or 220 and go up. tbh I was a little scared of damaging the housings by going ham. But I'm going to get something coarser and start again tomorrow, I didn't clear the worst of the oxidized layer yet. I used some norton stick-and-sand discs from menards stuck to a spent abralon pad and they worked well. Made a great creamy lather.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Unrelated to headlights, anyone have opinions on high temperature paint for calipers?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

My mom backed her CRV into a parked trailer and punched a 2" x 1/8" hole through the plastic panel on the bottom of the hatch. Is there a plasticizer / flexibility-enhancer type filler for epoxy or bondo that I should use when closing up the hole? Or does it not matter?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Here's what it looks like, i think the only positive is that the actual hole isn't very tall

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

So awhile back I decided to get the Clover clone of the Rupes 21mm polisher and I've been happy with it. Figured I might as well say something since I've had a chance to use it a few times. Build quality is seemingly very good. I got it from the Clover Store on AliExpress, I'm on my phone and I can't seem to make a good link, maybe https://m.aliexpress.com/store/v3/home.html?shopId=1823451&sellerId=221797543&spm=a2g0n.detail.0.0.5615657aF4ob7M&pagePath=index.htm&gclid= will work

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Harbor Freight dual action. Hfqpdb.com will have a 20% coupon at least

http://www.hfqpdb.com/best_coupon/BAUER+6%22+VARIABLE+SPEED+DUAL+ACTION+POLISHER

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

I've never used griot's polishers but they seem to be getting good reviews. If you want to do cutting/polishing on a whole car, the powerball is not going to work very well.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Minto Took posted:

Sorry for the silly questions if they've already been discussed:
forgot to mention, no worries :justpost:

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

How should I approach painting two adjacent areas, one with with gloss clear and the other with flat clear? Do I mask the second section so it very slightly overlaps then sand down the double thick bump?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Was the something a bag of sand?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Ultimate Compound is pretty gentle, I think you can go deeper there. It is hard to be sure with a photo, but it looks like the scratches don't go completely through the clear. If they do, obviously don't try to go that deep to fix it.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Maybe a picture would help, purple water sounds kinda cool but I would imagine the answer is supposed to be "no that shouldn't happen"

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Does it feel completely smooth?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Ror posted:

And then I looked and saw it was the same guys. I've never tried any AMMO products but it looks like people are wild about them in some car detailing circles.

I haven't tried the products, but dude makes a lot of good how to videos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Your aluminum wheels are likely covered in a protective urethane paint.