Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3
I have a 2010 Corolla with parts of the paint that feel almost chalky. Car went through a lot of brutal winters upstate, and previous owner seldom (if ever) washed it.

I also have an orbital polisher in my garage, left by the dude who owned my house before I did.

Is there anything I can do to get a decent gloss/shine in my car's paint job, or am I just hosed and that's it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

Unfortunately, the car is white, so it's kinda hard to tell... But, in general, it has an almost "matte" appearance on the hood and trunk, and is sorta rough/chalky to the touch.

betterinsodapop fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Aug 8, 2019

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

toplitzin posted:

Yep, your clear is gone.
Welp, yeah that's about right. The doors and side panels and poo poo still have a bit of gloss, but the hood, trunk, and roof are cooked. Good news is, I don't have to spend money on car polish and waxes, bad new is that my car will continue to look like poo poo on the outside. :(

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

toplitzin posted:

You could say gently caress it and spray them with plastidip in a completely new color.
Just visited the site. I had no idea people even did this; it's kinda cool.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

edit: oops double post

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

Scott808 posted:

I believe that if your white is Toyota Super White (paint code 040) that is single stage paint (not color coat/clear coat) if it's original factory paint.
Yes, it is original factory paint, and that looks like the only white paint for that year, so I believe you are correct. So, does this mean I could potentially save it somehow?

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

Alright, you guys are giving me hope. I figure I might as well try. Still gonna be cheaper than getting a spray!
The old piece of poo poo orbital waxer I found in my garage is a Chamberlain "Waxmaster 900." Quick research tells me that it is basically a piece of poo poo and more or less good for nothing, so it looks like I'll probably end up having to buy a modern polisher.
Once I can get all of my poo poo together, I'll update.
Thanks, guys!

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

I discovered this flowchart graphic on autogeek, and found it very useful/instructive:

Ordered some stuff between autogeek and Amazon to see if I could resurrect the super oxidized single stage "Super White" paint on my 2010 Toyota Corolla:

PorterCable 7424XP (w/backing plate)
cutting pads
finishing foam pads
Meguiars Clay Kit
Meguiars 105 Compound
Meguiars 205 Polish
Meguiars #7 Polish

grit guard
washing mitt

(I have buckets and soap already.)

Can't wait to actually see if this all works.

edit: forgot I'd bought foam pads

betterinsodapop fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Aug 26, 2019

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

Last weekend, I spent several hours cutting the super oxidized single stage paint on my 2010 "Super White" Corolla.
While it does look 1000x better than it did (previously "chalky" and rough,) parts of it are kind of semi-matte.
I'm thinking maybe if I'd used microfiber cutting pads instead of foam pads? What do you guys think?

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

meatpimp posted:

If you were cutting, then it's time to move to polishing. What products were you using?
I did cut and polish, but I don't think I got deep enough on the cut.

Some of the car looks FANTASTIC, but the hood still looks pretty muted/dull.

Here's what I did:
washed (2 bucket style!) w/Meguiar's Gold Class
clayed w/Meguiar's Clay Kit
cut using orange foam pad and Meguiars 105
polished using grey/black foam pad and Meguiars 205

It really looks a TON better overall, but wish I'd been able to get a real shine back on the hood.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

Phone posted:

do you use white applicator foam pads or something? :psyduck:
Nope. Lake Country orange pads on a Porter Cable 7424XP on 6 speed. LC black pads on 5 for polish.

Before it was given to me, this car spent 8 years in upstate NY without ever being washed, being exposed to rain, snow, and salt from the brutal winters up there. The oxidization was heavier than I thought.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

meatpimp posted:

Try some Ultimate Compound, put a firm pad on, crank up the speed and go hog wild.
Haha, sounds like fun. Yep, I'll give it a shot.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

meatpimp posted:

Try some Ultimate Compound, put a firm pad on, crank up the speed and go hog wild.
In the end, this is what I did, just using 105 compound. I got heavy cut microfiber pads, cranked the speed, and did indeed go hog wild. It finally chewed through the severe oxidation. Followed it up with 205 polish on 5 speed. The car has gone from white chalk to white gloss. Single stage paint still sucks, but at least I got most of the shine back.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

meatpimp posted:

Very nice. The reason I recommend the UC is the way it works, it starts out fairly coarse, but breaks down as you use it, so really it's both of those products in one. You can hammer on it and get good cutting, but light and fast polishes. Next time you need it (it'll be soon), try UC
Picked some up at Advance Auto Parts. Thanks for the recommendation!

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

Kinda shocked that Meg's Ultimate Polish sucks. I have yet to be disappointed by any of their products. That said, you guys have yet to steer me wrong, so I'll avoid it.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

This car was completely matte, with no shine/reflection at all.
Thanks to you all, it looks much, much better.
gently caress single stage paint forever, btw.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

This is gonna sound wacky, but since you guys started detailing your cars, do you find yourself driving around looking at cars and thinking about how you would detail them or make them look better?

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

Cleaned my engine bay for the first time.
I used "Super Clean" foaming spray to clean and de-grease, then used a Metro blower to dry everything, and finally hit the many plastic bits with Meguiars Ultimate Black.
I've seen trusted experts (Larry from Ammo, Pan the Organizer) say that most modern (past 10 years or so) car engine bays are fairly waterproof, but I still felt apprehensive rinsing things off with the hose.
Thankfully, everything fired up with no issues, and it is oddly satisfying to see everything so nice and clean, even though folks aren't likely to lift the hood on my grocery hauler!
Before:

After:

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

This time of year, I just kind of let it go. I'll deal with it in the Spring. Too loving cold to be out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

TheGoatTrick posted:

shiny Accord
Looks great!