Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WARnold
Oct 30, 2004

You Lack Discipline!
Hey folks,

some tree sap sat on my car for a couple weeks, and left little bumps after washing thoroughly.
Neither rubbing, nor a magic eraser helped.

I read somewhere that a clay bar set should do the job - is that correct?
Or am I screwed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WARnold
Oct 30, 2004

You Lack Discipline!

McSpatula posted:

For spot treating on a horizontal surface, fill a cup with warm water and a drop of dish soap, cover the opening of the cup with an index card or whatever you can find, flip the cup over, then place it onto the sap covered spot (card side first), pull the card out from under the cup and let it soak. If it's a vertical surface or just one of those tricky curved surfaces, you can kind of use clay around the rim to form a gasket to keep your fluids from spilling before a good soak sets.

You'll have to find a way to scale this to a larger size if you're doing more than a small spot treatment - a warm/hot soak and a grit sponge may do the trick, followed by the claying to get the rest out, then the usual glaze/seal/wax to make it easier to remove in the future.

Don't use melamine foam products on your paint, it's too abrasive and will marr the poo poo out of it.

Thanks McSpatula and everyone that responded. I'll give these a go.