Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!
What are the synthetic clays like, physically? Do they work in just the same way?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

Petite Dinklage posted:

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can get this dessicated bird poo poo off without damaging the paint?

Are you sure it’s still bird poo poo and not actually paint damage?

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

Detailing goons, last time I detailed a car was like 10 years ago and I used Meguiars DACP, Swirl Remover, and Carnauba wax to bring a heavily finely-scratched (had been washed with a bucket of water and terry towel cloth with no hose down first after a dust storm by a well-meaning relative) dark metallic blue car to a mirror finish. I bought a PC 2494 or whatever from the US with a mate and had it shipped to Aus so we could detail our cars well.

I now have a black car (FML) and it has the usual cobwebbing from a PO who doesn’t know how to wash a car, and holograms from a dealership having some idiot polish the car before I bought it, presumably. What are the products to get these days assuming I shouldn’t just buy more of the same Meguiars products, and what pads would you recommend?

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

Here4DaGangBang posted:

Detailing goons, last time I detailed a car was like 10 years ago and I used Meguiars DACP, Swirl Remover, and Carnauba wax to bring a heavily finely-scratched (had been washed with a bucket of water and terry towel cloth with no hose down first after a dust storm by a well-meaning relative) dark metallic blue car to a mirror finish. I bought a PC 2494 or whatever from the US with a mate and had it shipped to Aus so we could detail our cars well.

I now have a black car (FML) and it has the usual cobwebbing from a PO who doesn’t know how to wash a car, and holograms from a dealership having some idiot polish the car before I bought it, presumably. What are the products to get these days assuming I shouldn’t just buy more of the same Meguiars products, and what pads would you recommend?

Anybody?

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

Fo3 posted:

It's a long shot but if anyone happens to be in straya and finds synthetic clay let me know. Nothing came up with a google search except USA options involving $30 postage.
I've gone through my old clay bars and looking for an alternative right now. Because the paint on my car is pretty thin I can't compound or machine polish it much, so I need to use a clay bar so it still looks ok with light work and sealant.

I saw some at a Supercheap before I knew synthetic clays were a thing so I told my mate whose car we were about to detail not to buy it. I don’t think it was a special brand, it might have been their SCA brand.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

Fo3 posted:

Thanks, I'll check in store, but I searched their site before my post and didn't find it. If autoglym, meguires, mothers or bowdens make one they'll have it or get on in maybe, but that's the only brands they stock besides old cheap stuff under their own sca brand (I would be suprised if they have sca synth clay when they don't sell sca reg clay)

Yeah, I can’t remember for sure what brand it was but I’m after one too now after seeing the accounts here of how well they work, so let me
know if you find one!

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

DJ Commie posted:

They don't happen to also make Start Ya Bastard, do they?

Nah, that's Nulon.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I can’t remember whether I’ve asked this already but what are the current go-to Meguiar products for two-stage polishing a black car prior to wax/sealant? Has the usual black car fine cobwebbing scratches from washing, as well as some other worse-but-still superficial marks. Will be applied with a DA buffer.

Planning to start with a fallout removal and synthetic claying.

Also what’s a good product for rubber trim rejuvenation? Preferably something which doesn’t end up looking oily.

Fake edit: also, has anyone used that Megs Hybrid Ceramic Wax yet? What’s it like? It seems so crazy to me that the second application is just “spray it on a wet panel and hose it off”. How does that cover the whole panel if the spray is only landing on parts of it? :psyduck:

Here4DaGangBang fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Feb 20, 2019

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

toplitzin posted:

Chem guys V.R.P.
Nice and dark, smooth but not oily. Lasts a couple weeks on really bad plastic.

Thanks, not sure if I can get their stuff easily in Australia, but I’ll look into it.

The rubber isn’t terrible, the car is only 3 years old, but it’s looking a little less than new now so I want to rejuvenate it before it gets too dry.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

revmoo posted:

I can't imagine an electric one working for typical pressure washer tasks like cleaning pavement or decking.

LOLWUT?

In Australia plenty of households buy pressure washers for exactly this kind of thing and I can guarantee you most of them are not petrol-powered, they work just fine.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

So, like a lazy fuckwit I left birdshit on my (black) car for some time and after giving its first wash in about a year the other day the paint looks raised in the area where the bird poo poo was, it's weird. I think you can slightly feel it with your finger too. I've been meaning to give the car a thorough going over with clay, polish, wax/sealant etc., but I'm guessing that's not going to fix this defect now. Experts, how boned do you think I am here?

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

If I want to try Megs Hybrid Ceramic wax, should this be used instead of a carnauba wax, or on top of one? The car needs a clay bar and two stages of polish so assume that has been done beforehand too.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

Dave Inc. posted:

What is the general consensus on synthetic clay kits, or the silicone-rubber synthetic clay bars? I bought one of the rubbery ones and I'm not terribly impressed, but it could be that I'm just using it improperly. I've used real clay bar in the past to great effect, so feeling a little disappointed with this product.

I’m in Australia, and I recently bought the synthetic clay from Bowden’s Own, which is an Aussie brand of detailing products. I used it with their quick detailer product and I have to say I was pretty underwhelmed. It didn’t do anywhere near as much as any actual clay I’ve used before (Mothers and Megs).

I then went and bought Bowden’s Own’s actual clay bar, and it did the job like I would expect.

🤷🏻‍♂️

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

wesleywillis posted:

I've got a few paint chips on my hood and other places. The touch up paint thing from toyota is like a double ended pen.
Paint at one end clear on the other.

The chips are kinda small and doing the recommended "dabbing" with the paint pen makes it look worse. If I just dispense some paint on a piece of plastic or cardboard, what, besides an actual small-rear end paint brush would work or could work as a suitable substitute for a brush or brush like device?

You can get a little tool which is a cup with a needle on it, on a stick, I guess you’d say. Put paint in the cup, hold the stick and dab the needle bit on the stone chip and it will put paint into the chip. There is an AMMO video with one IIRC.