Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Okay people who know how to make paint look good. I have a question. If you have some crappy matte looking paint that rubs off on your fingers (oxidized?) and you want to make it look the best it can within reason what do you do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

InitialDave posted:

Could you give a couple of photos of it? People might have different suggestions depending on the make, year, how far gone it is and so on.

No, sorry. It was more of a general question. I've found myself with cars from the '70s and '80s like that a few times and thought they were a dead loss until I started seeing pictures of what people have done with the original paint.

That's a good link. Thanks for that.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
I know the paint is ruined for so many reasons. It's also oxidized to the point where the top layer rubs off on my hands and exposes something approximating the original colour. What can I do to save what's left for now? I was just thinking giving it a wash and wax. We're talking circa 1987 Soviet paint here that's all porous and has rust seeping through. The only real solution is a strip, treat and respray but I just want to prolong the life of what's still on there for now.
e: forgot to say. the colour is supposed to be "Fawn"

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

ratbert90 posted:

Well, I would just do the three basic steps here.

1) Wash with dish soap
2) Clay the poo poo out of it
3) Wax the poo poo out of it.

That would return it to pretty much the best it can be without using Meguiars #7.

~~*~~*~~edit~~*~~*~~

Meguiars #7 is used on older paint is AMAZING at what it does.

That's the same paint!

I'm happy with that advice. Where do I find clay bars? I'm assuming it's a special sort for auto detailing. I've just never seen it before in person. But then I've never actually looked because it's only recently after reading threads like this I even heard of it.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
I'm doomed. I drop everything and think lanyards and straps are a great invention.

Anything stopping me from just doing a dish soap wash for now to get some of the crap off it?

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

ratbert90 posted:

Yeah, that will get some of the crap off of it, but nothing like clay will. Clay is cheap and you will be hooked.

Also make the clay really flat and get one side wet and squish the wet side into your hand. You are FAR less likely to drop the clay bar if it's stuck to your hand. :)

I had a proper look today and it's beyond redemption. Rust showing through the surface all over the place etc.
I might try a proper cleaning on the Fairlane though because its paint is pretty good.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

InitialDave posted:

I keep them for wheels and so on, but the sentiment's the same. On a Niva, however...

Yeah it seems like massive overkill. What I'm thinking I'll do is treat all the rust spots where the paint is missing etc. Give it all a good clean and use it as a testbed for some of the techniques and products like clay bar if I can find one cheap enough to justify it. I've always been frustrated that I can't get the grit off the Fairlane when I wash it so this would make a good no-consequences practice run. I can't possibly make the Niva look any worse. It's a hundred footer currently... if I take off my glasses.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Just thought I'd drop in. I opted not to use a clay bar because all the tiny and not so tiny pits in the paint would have been a disaster. They would have ended up packed solid with clay. It took me a couple of days of washing and waxing a section at a time but the result was great considering the paint had the appearance of a very dirty chalkboard.
It needs more repetitions no doubt but it went from an awful matte that came off on my hands when I touched it to a nice shiny coat. It's just such a shame there are so many chunks out of it and some of the back was resparayed with a mismatched colour.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
I'm experimenting with Caranuba polish / wax on the Niva now. It's not gone well. Not a big deal really because I'm just trying to stop the paint oxidizing, but it's a good test bed for the next time I clean up the Fairlane.
There's all these little spots, sort of like when a candle is dragged across something. I have no idea why. Did I use too much, not enough or is it something else entirely?

Found my answer. I don't think I let it dry long enough and may have applied it slightly too heavily.
http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?39350-How-to-tell-if-your-wax-is-dry-The-Swipe-Test

General_Failure fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Jun 2, 2013

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Molten Llama posted:

Without a pic it's hard to say for certain, but probably. Carnauba can be an absolute bitch to break if you're a little too liberal with the application.

So I found. I'm kind of sad that my old HTPE wax ran out. It made the Niva's lovely paint look really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Thought you'd all appreciate this. Like Motronic I'm only just learning about this whole cleaning cars thing and paint being more than a rust preventative.

What it was like when I got it.

How it is now, including dust, cat footprints and explosive purple bird diarrhoea.

The marks on the paint in the first picture were where it had been touched. The paint was like a dirty chalkboard.