Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Santheb
Jul 13, 2005

Hey guys, got a question about headlights here. The inspection man told me mine were right on the limit of passable and probably wouldn’t pass next year, and honestly I don’t think he was bullshitting and trying to upsell me because I have noticed my night visibility has decreased in a noticeable way over the past year or so. So before forming over money I decided to put some elbow grease into it. Polishing compound, caranuba wax, a little power sander. I think they look better than they did before but there’s one thing I can’t get rid of and that’s the condensation looking stuff on the inside. I don’t know if it’s condensation or not honestly. Basically what am I looking at to start eating away at this stuff? Wet sanding?

Santheb fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Oct 4, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Santheb
Jul 13, 2005

MrOnBicycle posted:

Kinda hard to tell to be honest. Kinda looks "pitted" for a lack of better phrase, like it could be spots where the plastic has been oxidized deeper than where you compounded it. I'd give sanding a go if it isn't obvious that it's on the inside of the plastic. When I did it last I went 600->800->1000->1200->compound->polish, making sure to do one grit vertical and the next horizontal. Check closely that no scratches from the previous grit remains before you move on. Most important bit is to protect the headlights with clearcoat, some headlight protector thing or a ceramic coating that protects from UV. Else it'll look like poo poo in no time again.

Thanks man. Gonna go to the hardware store now and grab some sandpaper and I guess a can of Rust Oleum with anti yellowing and UV protection. My efforts to get rid of the foggyness have been pretty successful..I can see the lamp and the bulb clearly now, if I’m sitting in front of it I can see my reflection. It’s just that stuff I haven’t been able to really make a dent in so I guess it’s onto the next one.

With the sandpaper I should do that by hand right? I’ve been using the power sander with no sandpaper and a terry towel over it after I’ve rubbed the polishing compound on the headlight by hand.

Santheb
Jul 13, 2005

Thanks for all the advice on the headlights guys. I wasn’t too successful beyond my initial efforts with the compound but in any event they are better than they were before. Which is important because man coming down a highway without many lights on it was getting sorta scary, especially with rain. I did go out and buy the 3m kit so I have that if I ever really want to try and get them right.