Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?
My 84 Scirocco is Mars Red. It's a single stage 80s paint. Previous owners have buffed it, and they have burned through to primer on some of the corners. My paint is really thin.

I started with a Dawn wash, and this is what I had:

I also had a bra on the car for about a year. See all the scratches from it?

I bought the Griot's Garage random orbital. It's different from a DA. It's a lot less violent than a DA. It does take longer though. They have three machine polishes. Machine Polish 1 is the coarsest, and 3 is the finest.

After Polish 1: (see how the pad is turning red)

After Polish 2: (note burn though on hood from previous owner)

After Polish 3:

Then I waxed it with Griot's Best-in-Show Wax. This wax goes on EASY, but holy poo poo it doesn't ever come off. I don't really like the wax. It looks good, but drat, I spent 3 hours trying to get ONE COAT of wax off the car.

After:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?
I got this Griot's Vinyl and Rubber dressing, and it really did good to take care of my oxidized rubber seals and stuff. I think the key though is a good sponge thing to make applying it easy. foamy spongy crap, like a cheap paint brush works great.

That's a $400 car. not bad.

My other Scirocco