Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«252 »
Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Know where I can get a FAL except from DSA? I got money burning a hole in my pocket and that is the only battle rifle I would consider at this point besides a M1 garand from korea (please obama let this happen).

I really don't want to spend 2k on a battle rifle with a 3 month wait for average quality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kwantam
Mar 25, 2008

-=kwantam

Wendigee posted:

Know where I can get a FAL except from DSA? I got money burning a hole in my pocket and that is the only battle rifle I would consider at this point besides a M1 garand from korea (please obama let this happen).

I really don't want to spend 2k on a battle rifle with a 3 month wait for average quality.

Build one?

If you have archives, http://forums.somethingawful.com/sh...hreadid=3385017

msj817
Apr 1, 2003

Please help me help you forget about Jozy.

kwantam posted:

This is a scimitar Oryx. In about a week it will become much more difficult to hunt them in Texas. Basically, since they're more or less extinct in the wild, the feds have decided that all Oryx must be centrally managed. Anyone who keeps Oryx on their ranch, even if they are more or less captive exotics, will need a permit to hunt them and will receive a yearly allotment of tags.

I'm pretty stubborn and anti-high game fence for whitetail and mule especially when it comes to genetics etc, but the game fence might have possibly saved this animal from a quicker extinction.

Congratulations on getting so close to such a unique animal.

powers
Jul 26, 2005

The Maller is an Amarrian frigate, used by hotdroppers.

~SMcD

Wendigee posted:

This is a poo poo answer, but I've been looking at DSA FAL's on gunbroker. Aimsurplus used to have the 21" versions in stock. I have taken a break from shopping them for about 3 months. I'm going to start up again in May if I can resist the temptations.

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet

Wendigee posted:

Best answer is build one, distant second is probably find a used Imbel from back when they were assembled stateside by non-methheads, they can run a bit cheaper and the parts quality is pretty excellent. You'll have to do some research on importers, though.

kwantam posted:

Hey guys I went hunting today.

This is a scimitar Oryx. In about a week it will become much more difficult to hunt them in Texas. Basically, since they're more or less extinct in the wild, the feds have decided that all Oryx must be centrally managed. Anyone who keeps Oryx on their ranch, even if they are more or less captive exotics, will need a permit to hunt them and will receive a yearly allotment of tags.

Well gently caress that. I decided to go get me one now.

This is actually not a particularly large specimen; it's more or less a juvenile. A full grown bull is about 450 lbs, whereas this guy tips the scales around the mid-200s. On the other hand, he'll be delicious.

If you're observant, you'll note that I was hunting with my FAL (with plastic furniture in place of my nice wood). Turns out the trilux is a really decent midrange hunting scope, so I'm guessing this gun will see further duty on pigs and during deer season.

Federal Fusion worked well enough. Didn't recover the bullet, so I can't comment beyond that.

Aw man shooting endangered critters ain't cool

Tubgirl Cosplay fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Mar 28, 2012

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Tubgirl Cosplay posted:

Just because it's endangered/extinct in the wild doesn't mean it isn't fairly common game-fenced "livestock" in Texas! This would almost be like issuing ranchers with a quota of cow tags.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Tubgirl Cosplay posted:

They're going to be more endangered now that ranchers have much less of an economic incentive to keep them around.

kwantam
Mar 25, 2008

-=kwantam

Craptacular posted:

They're going to be more endangered now that ranchers have much less of an economic incentive to keep them around.

This.

In the last two months, most ranchers who had Oryx on their property, either intentionally or even just because they happen to thrive in the Hill Country, have killed off their entire herds to avoid all the red tape they'll face once April rolls around.

The family of a good friend of mine has a large ranch near Johnson City. They've had a herd of Oryx living there more or less wild for many years, and every once in a while they cull a few to keep the numbers in check. They decided the hassle of dealing with the Federal game management program when the herd got too big wasn't worth it, so they hunted or darted and sold the whole herd in the last month. Most ranchers in the area are doing the same thing.

It's a drat shame. According to a guy I know who runs several exotic ranches, the Oryx and Addax populations in Texas have been cut in half the last two months.

GEEKABALL
May 30, 2011

Throw out your hands!!
Stick out your tush!!
Hands on your hips
Give them a push!!

Fun Shoe

kwantam posted:

Very nice.

gimpsuitjones posted:

Nice Tshirt.

Careful with that FAL Eugene.

Atticus_1354
Dec 9, 2006

Don't you go near that dog, you understand? Don't go near him, he's just as dangerous dead as alive.

According to SWR suppressors and silencercoSame company now it is legal to hunt with suppressors in Texas now. If anyone wants to find a better source feel free to, but I have to get to class. Now I really want to get a .22 suppressor for small game even more than before.

Also, the Oryx thing makes me sad as someone who is studying conservation. Over and over again biologists and conservationist forget the lesson that it is better to work with land owners rather than against them. Hopefully if there is any lesson I remember for the rest of my life it is that. Especially in Texas with its 98% private property.

SnowDog
Oct 26, 2004

Nice OP, OP .

Flatland Crusoe posted:

Deer: Centerfire rifle with 900 ft-lbs of energy, some states require a minimum bullet diameter so .223 isnít legal everywhere, Soft point or ballistic tip bullets. Commonly .243, 30-06, 30-30, 270, 7.62x39, 308

Here in MA, only shotgun (w/slugs) can be used for deer.

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.

SnowDog posted:

Nice OP, OP .

Here in MA, only shotgun (w/slugs) can be used for deer.

That's lovely. Move to New Hampshire! Not only can you use rifles to hunt, but you don't have to wear a seat belt or a motorcycle helmet! When we say Live Free or Die, we mean it.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

What are you lookin at...

Since we have a new hunting thread here is a quick hunting report. I haven't been doing much hunting this summer with my time off work, preferring to instead train a whole lot (2x day) to prepare for an upcoming muay thai fight. Managed to get away this weekend for a quick overnight walk with a friend. It was a good trip, we had perfect weather, packed light and camped out under the stars in bivvy bags. Climbed around 1500 meters vertically, camped at around 1600m above sea level at the bottom of a little saddle, my fitness is great now with all my muay thai training, I had no problems with the climb. We saw a total of 5 red deer, 21 chamois and 1 lonely bull tahr. We got within 30 meters of a group of chamois last night intending to shoot a couple of them for the meat, but spooked them after spotting a bull tahr and attempting to stalk past the chamois to have a look at the tahr. We each shot a small (kid!) chamois while walking out this morning. We would normally have left them but with numbers so high a little population control is a good thing, and they'll be good eating.

Have some photos.

The view from my sleeping/bivvy bag this morning

Babies. I'm a monster.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

I do all this long range stuff, carry around a Sako with an 860gram PMII on top of it, then shoot a baby chamois at 30 meters. Sigh.

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.

gimpsuitjones posted:

The view from my sleeping/bivvy bag this morning

Babies. I'm a monster.

Ugh you bastard that is some loving beautiful countryside. New Zealand is at the top of my list of foreign countries to live in.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Cummander ross, reporting for duty!

NZ looks amazing. I do all my shooting (and hunting) on my parents' property which is not bad by Australian standards but is still nothing real special, nowhere near that. Mostly rabbits and foxes, the occasional feral goat (not even hard to hunt because they're so stupid). Depending what we go after we usually take a .22 and .22-250 out as there's seldom anything big enough to justify much more, though the Enfield did come out for the goats and performed pretty admirably. I'm in the same boat as Parts Kit, but the foxes especially are a menace to stock and the goats tend to carry nasty poo poo they can transmit to the alpacas so I do it anyway... plus going out on a beautiful moonlit night with my dad and just wandering around the paddocks is a pretty sweet deal. Even when we don't find anything, it's a nice change of pace from being in the city.

I know that deer were released into the state forests nearby to provide people with something more substantial to hunt (shooting larger native wildlife like roos is very severely frowned upon to put it lightly, even though they're in plague proportions in some areas), might need to pick up a new rifle before I really think of going for it though.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Dr. E/N, PhD

Reading through this thread, I ...honestly didn't realize people hunted hogs with rifles. I mean, it's an obvious connection but I learned from my dad in southern Georgia, and we just took dogs, some rope, and knives. The dogs would corner the hog, one of us would jump on and wrestle/tie it, and then use the knife to kill it.

Typing this out it all sounds incredibly dumb and I'll probably use a rifle now.

e: cleaned this up a bit.

Dr. Strangler
Jul 21, 2009

I 'snapped' and killed a bird and its baby purely because their chirping annoyed me. I got a buzz out of killing them both with one shot.

In other words, I have the mind of a serial killer.

Went hog hunting this weekend. In the mornings we went out to some cage traps the landowner had on his property and just shot the captured hogs in the head. A .22 did just fine. At night A 30-30 Marlin and an M1 carbine made short work of them. I don't get the (incredibly overblown)reputation they have for being dangerous/tough to take down. I probably could've run up to them and killed them smartly with a hatchet or something.
I also buttstroked a rattler to death while wading through the grass. One of the old timers back at camp cooked it up for us :3

bigpolar
Jun 18, 2003

Imalloutofideas posted:

Reading through this thread, I ...honestly didn't realize people hunted hogs with rifles. I mean, it's an obvious connection but I learned from my dad in southern Georgia, and we just took dogs, some rope, and knives. The dogs would corner the hog, one of us would jump on and wrestle/tie it, and then use the knife to kill it.

Typing this out it all sounds incredibly dumb and I'll probably use a rifle now.

drat, all I can think after this is that either you have abnormally pussyfied hogs in GA, or swamps breed abnormally large and aggressive hogs.

Dr. Strangler posted:

Went hog hunting this weekend. In the mornings we went out to some cage traps the landowner had on his property and just shot the captured hogs in the head. A .22 did just fine. At night A 30-30 Marlin and an M1 carbine made short work of them. I don't get the (incredibly overblown)reputation they have for being dangerous/tough to take down. I probably could've run up to them and killed them smartly with a hatchet or something.
I also buttstroked a rattler to death while wading through the grass. One of the old timers back at camp cooked it up for us :3

drat, more docile hogs stories! I used to believe that.

I grew up, for the most part, out in the country in Louisiana. However, I spent most of it either in upland deer country, or out in coastal saltwater tidal marshes. I never encountered feral hogs over about 80 lbs until I graduated. I thought feral hogs were a little bit of a nuisance that could be scared away by loud noise.

This belief lasted up to the day I went out on an ATV drill rig into a freshwater swamp in southeast FL. Picture the scene: - a beautiful sunny day in Florida. I'm an engineer, but I'm going out to log because my regular assistant is out sick. We drive this huge tractor like vehicle out into the, swamp, enjoying the fresh air and the slight smell of decay without putrefaction. A picturesque freshwater swamp with shallow waterways we could drive down. We make it out through the swamp to the general area where we want to drill, (you wouldn't usually bother to drill in a swamp, its protected wetland. You can build on the border of it though, and condos on the edge of swamps were getting popular. Great backyard view and all that..) and drive around in circles to crush down some brush.

The driller levels off the rig, and I am laying out my sample bags and logs. All of a sudden over the noise of the idling rig, I hear an incredibly loud grunting squeal, and I look over to my right to see the biggest hog I have ever seen in person, including the parish fair as a kid. This hog was more than waist high to me, and had tusks over 6 inches long. The driller and I jumped on the rig just before this beast charged.

Now, I'm not a small guy, and I have been around animals all my life. I don't normally get nervous around animals. But this hog weighed at least 350-400 pounds, and he was mad! He tried to climb onto the rig, and nearly ripped open one of the tires by gouging its sidewall with his tusks. This is a huge tractor tire, at least 5' in diameter, and he gouged up the rubber all the way to the 2nd reinforcing layer. There were literally threads of the rubber reinforcement hanging out. He kept us treed in the rig almost the entire day, and destroyed all my logging supplies. I can only imagine how bad it would have been if he had managed to flatten one of the tires, because we didn't have cell reception or any radios for help.

That incident was responsible for changing the company's official "no firearms" policy, and for instilling in me a healthy respect for feral hogs. I don't know what kind of dogs you hunt with, but I would back one of those hogs over anything but a pack of wolfhounds. Anything that can rip tractor tires is going to destroy a dog.

And I wouldn't want to hunt one of these with a spear, much less a knife. Either your hogs are just a different breed or you are insane. And I wouldn't try shooting them with a .22. Maybe a .22 magnum, but I don't think a .22 would penetrate the skull unless you hit it in the eye, and anywhere else it would just piss them off. I think you really need a major caliber.

The driller later went out with his regular helper, and they killed a hog that was over 400 lbs on that site, with tusks over 8 and 10 inches. I heard from a surveying crew that a hog killed in a neighboring field weighed over 600 lbs.

Now, I don't go anywhere I might encounter hogs without being armed. I used to depend on the driller carrying his .30-30, but since I started buying guns I got a Glock 29 I usually conceal. Even hiking woods trails in deer country, I'm concerned enough to carry. Camera on one hip, gun on the other. I learned to recognize hog tracks. I don't want to hear that squeal again and have nothing that I can climb nearby.

I've said it before on this forum, but I hate feral hogs, and support all efforts to kill them. But drat, you guys must just hang around with a different class of hogs. Either that or I just keep stumbling upon nests of super pigs, it seems to happen every time I drill on the edge of a swamp. Glad its working out so well for you.

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet

Imalloutofideas posted:

No don't this is adorable.

"I thought everyone wrassled hogs to death!"

TheNakedJimbo
Nov 18, 2004

If you die first, I am definitely going to eat you. The question is, if I die first...what are YOU gonna do?

I live in central Florida, and I was going to go hog hunting with a buddy of mine next weekend until I discovered, completely by accident, that hog hunting isn't allowed during spring turkey season (which runs to April 22 here). It's fine during fall turkey, but not spring. Does anybody have any idea why that might be?

I say I discovered it "completely by accident" because the information wasn't on any page listing hunting seasons, rules, regulations, or anything like that. No, it was on a page containing information about the hog, such as the scientific name, average height and weight, and so on. Completely as an afterthought at the bottom of the page, it mentions, "By the way, you can hunt them all year except spring turkey season." I'm really happy I saw that before we cruised all the way out to our spot next weekend.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

Tubgirl Cosplay posted:

No don't this is adorable.

"I thought everyone wrassled hogs to death!"

It's the standard way of killing pigs in Nz

If there really are giant aggressive 'hogs' they're few and far between, I've seen shitloads of them and they've all been terrified of humans and run away

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

What just happens to be the banner ad?

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Dr. E/N, PhD

gimpsuitjones posted:

It's the standard way of killing pigs in Nz

If there really are giant aggressive 'hogs' they're few and far between, I've seen shitloads of them and they've all been terrified of humans and run away

Well at least it's legit somewhere and my dad's not terribly crazy. Still, using a rifle from now on.

On another note, I'd like to get into bow hunting. Any advice on where to start? (If there's a thread in TFR for it I'll come back and edit this part out.)

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Imalloutofideas posted:

Well at least it's legit somewhere and my dad's not terribly crazy. Still, using a rifle from now on.

On another note, I'd like to get into bow hunting. Any advice on where to start? (If there's a thread in TFR for it I'll come back and edit this part out.)

http://forums.somethingawful.com/sh...hreadid=3197043

kwantam
Mar 25, 2008

-=kwantam

gimpsuitjones posted:

Son of a BITCH that's nice. Some day I'm coming crash your hunting party, gsj. We can do muay thai and shoot stuff. and you'll beat me every possible way

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Dr. E/N, PhD

That thread is mostly traditional bows. I was hoping for more of a compound bow thread.

Kennebago
Nov 12, 2007

van de schande is bevrijd
hij die met walkuren rijd

As far as gear goes, look on Archerytalk or somewhere similar and find out what shops near you are reputable. They'll fix you up. Don't overbow yourself unless you need the extra draw weight for bears or something. A 60-pound bow is fine for most shooting, and cranking it down a little so you're more comfortable shooting a lot doesn't make you less of a man.

As far as actual hunting goes, you will probably need someone to show you how to do deer. Depending on where you are, small game is doable with archery equipment but it's difficult if you're going after squirrels because the margin for error is pretty small and you have to get within 15 yards or so. But for just getting out and shooting at things it's pretty good. Late season is probably better than early season because you'll want to shoot at them while they're on the ground. Use judo points or those G5 small game heads or really old broadheads you don't care about damaging.

Other than that, hit 3D shoots like crazy and practice estimating yardage, even if it's just walking around or at work or whatever. The most important thing you can do with a bow is shoot it all the time.

With all that said, I'm a terrible hunter so grain of salt I guess.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

I'd suggest you see if there is a mom and pop type of archery store near you. I originally bought my bow from Gander Mountain and the guy in their archery department set it up wrong. I didn't realize this for a couple years (since i'm still a newbie to bows) until I went to the local mom and pop place for something minor and the guy noticed stuff like how the rear peep was really low. After he fixed it and gave me some pointers it was a night and day difference.

ZebraBlade
Mar 26, 2010

Something is rotten in the state of Denmark

My soon to be father in law just got a special landowner agriculture varmint permit so we can hunt unlimited raccoon, coyote, woodchuck, etc with basically any gun at any time and we can bait and spotlight, but no shooting from vehicles. I have had good luck using marshmallows as bait for raccoons but what would work for woodchucks?

He got the license because we lost 32 out of 32 chickens last year no matter what preventative measures we took, the woodchucks are damaging the house and shops foundation, and there is a massive overpopulation of coyotes because there is a massive overpopulation of deer on the land. Last year we shot 62 coyotes in a one week span and it didn't make a dent. I really need to find the pic of them strung up between the tractors.

ZebraBlade fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Apr 3, 2012

Frozen Horse
Aug 6, 2007
Just a humble wandering street philosopher.

Are there feral hogs to be hunted in WI? For these (or deer), are iron sights viable? I don't anticipate having to shoot at gimpsuitjones-esque ranges since Wisconsin has had a bit of the glaciers recently, but I've been wrong before.

Flatland Crusoe
Jan 12, 2011

Great White Hunter
Master Race

Let me explain why I'm better than you

Frozen Horse posted:

Are there feral hogs to be hunted in WI? For these (or deer), are iron sights viable? I don't anticipate having to shoot at gimpsuitjones-esque ranges since Wisconsin has had a bit of the glaciers recently, but I've been wrong before.

No feral hogs that far north and hope it stays that way, southern IL/MO is the furthest north I know of them save for a few occasional sightings. They really do a number ruining native wildlife habitat and the go nocturnal once any sort of hunting pressure is put on them.

Iron sights are completely viable for deer, I have killed a number of deer with my Enfield No. 5 out to 60 yards or so. Really you want to help yourself by setting up closer to where you think the deer will be. I would limit shots in timber to 60 yards and maybe 100 yards in the open. Heavy brush really makes it harder to use open sights under low light.

I always recommend having a scope even if its low powered, but 70% of the deer I have killed could have been shot without a scope.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

Frozen Horse posted:

gimpsuitjones posted:

I do all this long range stuff, carry around a Sako with an 860gram PMII on top of it, then shoot a baby chamois at 30 meters. Sigh.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Flatland Crusoe posted:

No feral hogs that far north and hope it stays that way, southern IL/MO is the furthest north I know of them save for a few occasional sightings. They really do a number ruining native wildlife habitat and the go nocturnal once any sort of hunting pressure is put on them.

THEY'RE SPREADING

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

shovelbum posted:

THEY'RE SPREADING

I assume that in the counties where there are more kills than sightings what happened was a farmer heard there were hogs nearby and took the appropriate action of blindly machine-gunning the woods

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

Frozen Horse posted:

WI DNR says they made it up there.
http://dnr.wi.gov/org/land/wildlife...otebook/pig.htm

Bad news is WI has feral pigs.

Good news is Feral pigs are considered unprotected wild animals with no closed season or harvest limit. All you need is a small game permit or to be on your own property.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

I'm going hunting tomorrow for the weekend and I'm kinda excited about it and I wanted to post about it.

I also have a really really stiff and swollen quadricep on my right leg from being kneed while training so I am hoping like hell it has improved enough by tomorrow to walk in to where I'm going, as it's like a 20km walk.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK

Slippery Tilde

I hope they throw the book at these assholes
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/03/3...in-thrill-kill/

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Cummander ross, reporting for duty!

Good hunt last night. Saw the rabbit that's been taunting us for weeks but couldn't get a shot off, kept on down the road and into our neighbour's back paddocks. Saw a couple more sets of eyes but couldn't get a shot. Lots of roos about, let them go and started heading back... and our luck turned. I got a rabbit, one of our neighbours got one, then as they were heading home they stopped out the front of our place, we could hear them shouting to each other and counted eight shots. It was a fox, and they did eventually get it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

I went hunting over Easter weekend. Was kinda lovely, got roped into babysitting an obese American who is working here, as a condition of staying in a private hut on a balloted block. He wasn't familiar with the concept of "walking" and it took us like 7 hours to do the 3 hour walk in to the hut. Also who the hell walks places in jeans?? Americans. Weird. I saw 2 fallow deer, didn't shoot either as they were does and the block is buck only at this time of year. Didn't really get much hunting done. Too early in the year for the fallow rut, and the valley has a very popular tramping track going up it. It was very busy on Easter weekend which can't have helped. Here's some poo poo photos I guess.

Stalked the bush edge of these flats in the evening, heaaaaps of sign but only one doe.

Steele Creek Hut

RAINBOW

Mid-Greenstone Hut

«252 »