Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«252 »
Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

An awesome 6.8 hunting round is the classic and somehow forgotten .270 Win. Unlike 6.5cm and 7mm-08, it's not a .308 case but rather .30-03. It bridges the gap to the magnums, and with Precision Hunter it's driving a 145 gr bullet at 2970 fps at the muzzle. That's faster than the PH 162gr 7mm Rem Mag. The 270 ELD-X BC is worse than the 6.5 or 7 but it's less drop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

tangy yet delightful posted:

Also Portland area goons, feel free to let me know about FFLs you like to use as I may end up purchasing online depending on what's in stock locally.

Hey we have a Portland/Oregon specific thread where that question might get more traction: https://forums.somethingawful.com/s...r=13&perpage=40

You could also ask in our general chat thread, as most of the Portland area goons read it.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Postin in the springtime

I'm moving to the Willamette valley in OR this summer (it was uncertain for a while but now it's back on!) and I need to start figuring out how hunting works out there.

Eventually I'd like to give elk hunting a go, but definitely not the same year as a big move.
Small game will be fun and from what I can tell from reading the regs, they are legal to hunt year round?
Turkey - oddly enough when we were visiting for my wife's interview, we saw 3 turkeys cross a city street

But my mind is mainly on blacktail deer hunting. Coming from (only 3 years of) hunting whitetail in appalachia.

I'll live fairly close to Willamette Nat'l Forest. I know the brush gets real thick there in the mountains, but google satellite shows the national forest land has a lot of checkerboard pattern of clear cuts and full forest. My first intuition is to hunt the edges of those clear cuts, since it is similar to setting up on the edge of a field around here. Or is that dumb? Any western blacktail hunters with an opinion?

Flatland Crusoe
Jan 12, 2011

Great White Hunter
Master Race

Let me explain why I'm better than you

Got an Oregon account setup for hunting licenses and fired off an email to figure out what, if anything I need to do, with respect to hunting safety courses out here (or just using my TN one). Also I read up more and found out you can buy points past the May 15th date, you just won't get the draw for this year if you miss that date. Depending on the speed of their emailing me back I'll at least hunt some non-controlled deer this fall.

I think I would like to buy a dedicated hunting rifle (and possibly scope - might reuse the 1-4x I currently have for this season) to traipse around with. I think CharlieBravo had a rifle he bought after some research and knowledge and poo poo but I'd be up for hearing anyone's thoughts.

Looking at the last few pages I think 6.8CM would be the round choice to go with. I'm left handed but use and prefer a right hand bolt.

Also Portland area goons, feel free to let me know about FFLs you like to use as I may end up purchasing online depending on what's in stock locally.

edit: Ideally whatever I buy can humanely kill deer, elk, bighorn sheep, and pronghorn. Probably not hunting bears.

Hunter safety has 100% reciprocity state to state as far as Iím aware for firearms hunts. The only hang up are certain states require a separate bowhunter education course while others do not.

CharlieBravo77 has a Browning X-Bolt Hells Canyon Speed in 7mm-08. I like that rifle a lot.

You can take a twister wheel with 6.5 cm, 308, 7mm-08, 30-06 and .270 then spin for the winner and have the same effect for those listed species.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

Woo WOO, Look a Parrot...
LOOK AT IT!

I have the same gun as CB77 and I really like it. My dad has it in 308, like that one too.

I didnít get to hunt this past year during rifle but at least during range trips Iíve been very happy with it.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Hell's Canyon thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/s...0#post481517123

With a link to the Remington 700 of woe thread inside it.

6.8SPC is not to be confused with 6.5CM, you won't find a ton of rifles in the former, and most of them will be AR-based platforms.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

charliebravo77 posted:

6.8SPC is not to be confused with 6.5CM, you won't find a ton of rifles in the former, and most of them will be AR-based platforms.
Yeah I was a bit inebriated and tired when I posted last night, confused my posting fingers on that one.

Flatland Crusoe posted:

Hunter safety has 100% reciprocity state to state as far as Iím aware for firearms hunts. The only hang up are certain states require a separate bowhunter education course while others do not.

CharlieBravo77 has a Browning X-Bolt Hells Canyon Speed in 7mm-08. I like that rifle a lot.

You can take a twister wheel with 6.5 cm, 308, 7mm-08, 30-06 and .270 then spin for the winner and have the same effect for those listed species.

Got an email back this AM and if you are over 18 in Oregon you don't need any proof of hunter safety as it turns out.

I'll probably end up browsing some different guns and reviews online and then with any questions that may come up.

Action-Bastard thanks yeah I'll hit that thread up for FFL recs.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Got an Oregon account setup for hunting licenses and fired off an email to figure out what, if anything I need to do, with respect to hunting safety courses out here (or just using my TN one). Also I read up more and found out you can buy points past the May 15th date, you just won't get the draw for this year if you miss that date. Depending on the speed of their emailing me back I'll at least hunt some non-controlled deer this fall.

I think I would like to buy a dedicated hunting rifle (and possibly scope - might reuse the 1-4x I currently have for this season) to traipse around with. I think CharlieBravo had a rifle he bought after some research and knowledge and poo poo but I'd be up for hearing anyone's thoughts.

Looking at the last few pages I think 6.8CM would be the round choice to go with. I'm left handed but use and prefer a right hand bolt.

edit: Ideally whatever I buy can humanely kill deer, elk, bighorn sheep, and pronghorn. Probably not hunting bears.

You will only get one chance, if ever, to hunt bighorn sheep in Oregon. No preference points allowed, random drawings each year, limit one per hunter per lifetime. I wouldn't buy a gun with that species in mind.

When I asked a similar question for a budget gunI was told a Savage axis in 308WIN or 30-06 would do the job on deer, elk, or bear, so that's what I bought.

Edit: I applied for controlled hunts in Eastern Oregon for deer and elk this year. If I don't draw a tag there I'll do cascade bull elk and willamete deer probably. But I bought a sportspac and intend to also head down to Southern Oregon for a bear hunt if I can find time and I'll shoot some quail and/or pheasant at the family farm this year.

therobit fucked around with this message at 07:43 on May 14, 2020

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Postin in the springtime

alnilam posted:

I'm moving to the Willamette valley in OR this summer (it was uncertain for a while but now it's back on!) and I need to start figuring out how hunting works out there.

But my mind is mainly on blacktail deer hunting. Coming from (only 3 years of) hunting whitetail in appalachia.

I'll live fairly close to Willamette Nat'l Forest. I know the brush gets real thick there in the mountains, but google satellite shows the national forest land has a lot of checkerboard pattern of clear cuts and full forest. My first intuition is to hunt the edges of those clear cuts, since it is similar to setting up on the edge of a field around here. Or is that dumb? Any western blacktail hunters with an opinion?

I ended up finding a pretty good writeup from the thread's favorite boy Steve

https://www.themeateater.com/hunt/b...-blacktail-deer

Sounds like it'll be a good bit more challenging than eastern whitetail. I am up for it though. Still hunting down an old gated logging road way far away from a car sounds like a lovely way to spend a day.

The good news is, success rates seem fairly high - 50% in the units near where I will live, which isn't terrible, and even higher when you get east of the mountains into the dry part of the state
https://www.dfw.state.or.us/resourc...r%20Harvest.pdf

Success rates are much lower for bucks though
https://www.dfw.state.or.us/resourc...r%20Harvest.pdf

Also gently caress I have to live in OR for 6 months before I can get a resident license. And it doesn't look like a license automatically comes with a deer tag like it does in PA, and a deer tag for non-residents is $600

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Postin in the springtime

Compared to PA the tag system in OR is but I guess that level of complication is typical out west.

Anyone with OR experience, can you please tell me if I understand this right (for deer specifically):

1. I can get an over-the-counter deer tag, no draws involved, that is good in western OR only, which is good for the general deer season, antlered deer only

2. I can apply for a draw for a controlled series hunt, which is the only way to get an antlerless tag (600 series)

3. It seems like I can get an archery stamp OTC as well and use it in general archery season - and in some units I am even allowed to take an antlerless deer with the general archery tag

Then there's this caveat

So
4. If I get an archery tag, I cannot hunt deer in the general rifle season with a rifle?

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

quote:

You will only get one chance, if ever, to hunt bighorn sheep in Oregon.
Yeah discovered that this species plus I think Rocky Mtn Goat are no preference points hunts.

I put in for an Elk tag for the hell of it and just bought a point for Pronghorn, also put in for some deer (antlerless, buck).

My thought on bighorn is I definitely need to learn more about them before I even get myself in the yearly lottery because my poo poo luck would have me pull it this year and I'd waste the chance.

Can't help on the archery questions, sorry

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

What does success rate mean, specifically? Is it % chance of taking an animal per day, trip or year/season? Is this universal or do different jurisdictions use different meanings?

Flatland Crusoe
Jan 12, 2011

Great White Hunter
Master Race

Outrail posted:

What does success rate mean, specifically? Is it % chance of taking an animal per day, trip or year/season? Is this universal or do different jurisdictions use different meanings?

Usually itís the chance of taking an animal in a season. The statistics vary by state but itís usually = animals harvested/tags issued. Sometimes they will take out the percentage of unused tags as reported to post season surveys.

The better states will show a breakdown of total hunter days and harvest. There isnít true consistency in harvest reporting or statistics state to state but itís often close.

Yeah discovered that this species plus I think Rocky Mtn Goat are no preference points hunts.

I put in for an Elk tag for the hell of it and just bought a point for Pronghorn, also put in for some deer (antlerless, buck).

My thought on bighorn is I definitely need to learn more about them before I even get myself in the yearly lottery because my poo poo luck would have me pull it this year and I'd waste the chance.

I would just put in for Bighorn every year. If you draw you will quickly have half a dozen people ready to help you out. There are like 4 people who actually know how to hunt bighorn sheep in the lower 48 because of how rare it is.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Postin in the springtime

Outrail posted:

For the OR data I linked at least, it seems you are required to report your attempt at hunting even if unsuccessful. And the % column is just the total harvest column / total hunters column. I'm assuming total hunters means hunters who reported having tried at all.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Yep. So a 10% success rate includes the guys who don't get around to their hunt, people who just buy a tag 'just in case I see one' and people who go out for the one day and call it early to get drunk with the boys.

So generally, 10% chance of success isn't typically an accurate portrayal of your chances of taking any particular animal?

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Outrail posted:

Yep. So a 10% success rate includes the guys who don't get around to their hunt, people who just buy a tag 'just in case I see one' and people who go out for the one day and call it early to get drunk with the boys.

So generally, 10% chance of success isn't typically an accurate portrayal of your chances of taking any particular animal?

Oregon requires you to report if you hunted, the days you hunted, and if you filled your tag, and they have it broken down by hunt area. They use all that to estimate success rates.

Flatland Crusoe
Jan 12, 2011

Great White Hunter
Master Race

Outrail posted:

If you hunt your rear end off and have the skills developed for a certain species you can and will absolutely do better than the average year after year. That said most newbies will do a fair bit worse than average early on. Generally it should be a guideline of what to expect but also not overthought either.

When you start talking about lower success rate hunts (like sub 20%) you really start to see a few guys accounting for a huge majority of the harvest proportionally and if you havenít been successful before you are statistically going to be even worse. I think the opposite is true in a 60% success deer hunting unit where I think a lot of guys eat tags holding out for something big and you could do better than that average if you shoot the first legal deer you see.

To me itís helpful for setting expectations. If I go to Wyoming on a rifle antelope hunt the success rates are 80%+. Lots of firearm deer hunts are 30-60% and many elk hunts are 10-20% success.

It certainly doesnít mean much for opportunistic tags like a bear or mountain lion tag that you can add onto a deer license for $10 and success rates are 3% compared to dedicating yourself to those species.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Anyone here ever eat mountain lion? My Sportspac includes a cougar tag but I won't kill what I don't intend to eat. If it's any good I might try it...

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Allegedly it's very similar to pork. I would try it of offered but I'm not sure I could kill a lion outside of defensive scenarios, and if I did I would surely be divorced.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

therobit posted:

Anyone here ever eat mountain lion? My Sportspac includes a cougar tag but I won't kill what I don't intend to eat. If it's any good I might try it...

Based on several episodes of the Meateater podcast: yes, they are good to eat, but the odds of you finding one without dogs are so small... well, there's a reason it comes as an addon to other tags.

Mzuri
Jun 5, 2004

Shot through the heart!

The roe buck season, otherwise known as Hunter's Christmas here, starts on Saturday. The guy whose property I hunt just called to let me know that someone showed up and offered to pay quite a bit for the right to hunt there. Since I'm not paying anything, other than splitting the meat 50/50 with him, he went for the money.

I would have done the same thing, but it's been a pretty stressful 2020 so far, and I've been looking forward to it for a good while. I offered congratulations and assured him that he got a good deal and no hard feelings (seriously, they are a bit hard up and this is great for them), but I'm still bummed.

Oh well

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!

I saw two turkey on my daily drive with the kids today. One hen (Iím assuming) and a smaller, fuzzier looking turkey. Itís pretty cool seeing them since I rarely see them when Iím hunting in the fall.

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Mzuri posted:

The roe buck season, otherwise known as Hunter's Christmas here, starts on Saturday. The guy whose property I hunt just called to let me know that someone showed up and offered to pay quite a bit for the right to hunt there. Since I'm not paying anything, other than splitting the meat 50/50 with him, he went for the money.

I would have done the same thing, but it's been a pretty stressful 2020 so far, and I've been looking forward to it for a good while. I offered congratulations and assured him that he got a good deal and no hard feelings (seriously, they are a bit hard up and this is great for them), but I'm still bummed.

Oh well

Boooo. I understand completely though. Will they allow you to hunt it if he tags out early? I mean you have pressure problems then but you might have a chance!

Re: Mountain lion. I wouldn't actively hunt it, because I am a big kitty person. If I was gifted it or parts I wouldn't complain, or if it was self defense.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

charliebravo77 posted:

Hell's Canyon thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/s...0#post481517123

With a link to the Remington 700 of woe thread inside it.

After pandemic shopping rifle sizing, aka looking at this rifles measurements and measuring my rifles to see how they compare (my AR's adjustable stock came in useful for the LOP test), I have placed an order for the same rifle you got and will likely place an order for the scope within the next 24 hours.

I'll save over a pound of weight versus my AR and have 22 glorious inches versus 14.5.

What scope rings did you get to mount to the rifle? I don't think you mentioned that in your post, or I missed it.

Also I'm gonna need a sling so feel free to drop suggestions

edit: I lied, I actually got the same rifle but in 6.5CM instead of your 7mm-08

CoffeeBooze
Aug 4, 2007

Nuh Uh!

For carrying your rifle over your shoulder claw slings are my go to. I think most hunters use them at this point since theyre inexpensive, comfortable, and a pretty tried and true design. For dense woods and any place else you may need to do quick shooting a safari sling like the Boonie Packer is also worth consideration. I think its the best and most comfortable design for carrying a firearm for long periods of time but it has some limitations in that it wont work with a lot of hunting packs and you need to be hyper aware of where your muzzle is pointing.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!

We could have been three way gun broís

But seriously you did well with the purchase. I LOVE mine.

I think CB77 and I both used Talley xbolt 30mm medium rings for ours. I didnít have any major issues BUT in the furthest two holes for the scope mount (towards the muzzle) the barrel threads are under those holes (or at least mine were) so I had to file down two of the included screws so I wasnít digging into the barrel mounting threads.

At the time I didnít have a metal file on hand so I threw the screws in a drill chuck and, while hitting the trigger, dragged a piece of wet dry sandpaper across the bottom of each screw.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Postin in the springtime

CoffeeBooze posted:

For carrying your rifle over your shoulder claw slings are my go to.

I too have been very happy with

It holds really well in place while going through brush in funny positions

alnilam fucked around with this message at 13:27 on May 15, 2020

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

My current hunting sling is the now discontinued Viking Tactical VTAC hunting sling. (Viking replaced it with their newer hunting sling.) It's like their tactical sling except in a configuration that helps muzzle up over the shoulder carry with the wide nonslip section near the muzzle end and a quick adjust.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

After pandemic shopping rifle sizing, aka looking at this rifles measurements and measuring my rifles to see how they compare (my AR's adjustable stock came in useful for the LOP test), I have placed an order for the same rifle you got and will likely place an order for the scope within the next 24 hours.

I'll save over a pound of weight versus my AR and have 22 glorious inches versus 14.5.

What scope rings did you get to mount to the rifle? I don't think you mentioned that in your post, or I missed it.

Also I'm gonna need a sling so feel free to drop suggestions

edit: I lied, I actually got the same rifle but in 6.5CM instead of your 7mm-08

Cool, I think you will like it. It's the best hunting rifle value with the feature set it has that I could find. Which scope are you using? For mine I did get the Talley X-Bolt rings (medium 30mm https://amzn.to/2WynZuI ) as Ophidian mentioned.

Another vote for the Claw sling too. This one should match the Hell's Canyon Speed camo pretty well. That said, I'd love it if they did a blaze orange version. https://quake.bpishopping.com/shop/...trata-camo.html

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Probably going to get the same scope you did and just ride on the back of your research but I haven't placed an order yet.

edit:

Ophidian posted:

We could have been three way gun broís

But seriously you did well with the purchase. I LOVE mine.

I think CB77 and I both used Talley xbolt 30mm medium rings for ours. I didnít have any major issues BUT in the furthest two holes for the scope mount (towards the muzzle) the barrel threads are under those holes (or at least mine were) so I had to file down two of the included screws so I wasnít digging into the barrel mounting threads.

At the time I didnít have a metal file on hand so I threw the screws in a drill chuck and, while hitting the trigger, dragged a piece of wet dry sandpaper across the bottom of each screw.
I've got 2 metal files and a plethora of sandpaper and drills so hopefully I can tackle that one way or the other, thanks for the heads up.

tangy yet delightful fucked around with this message at 04:55 on May 15, 2020

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

I had the 2.5-10x Viper HS laying around at the time. Now it has a Viper HSLR 4-16x44 on it. Either are perfectly fine choices, if you get the HS consider a Kenton Industries custom turret once you settle on a load. If I make it through this recession well enough I'm going to put a Leupold Vx5 3-15x on it most likely.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

charliebravo77 posted:

I had the 2.5-10x Viper HS laying around at the time. Now it has a Viper HSLR 4-16x44 on it. Either are perfectly fine choices, if you get the HS consider a Kenton Industries custom turret once you settle on a load. If I make it through this recession well enough I'm going to put a Leupold Vx5 3-15x on it most likely.

Well I was planning to stick to the 2.5-10 but just found a refurb on AAOptics of the 4-16 for $125 less so gently caress it we'll try that out.

Mzuri
Jun 5, 2004

Shot through the heart!

Chaosfeather posted:

Boooo. I understand completely though. Will they allow you to hunt it if he tags out early? I mean you have pressure problems then but you might have a chance!

Re: Mountain lion. I wouldn't actively hunt it, because I am a big kitty person. If I was gifted it or parts I wouldn't complain, or if it was self defense.

Thanks for commisserating! Yeah, the deal is that he gets one buck for the price. There's a real monster passing through the area that I've been keeping an eye on all spring, and I know Mr. Moneybags has too - and if/when he gets it, I can move in for any leftovers. So there's a chance, but I still have to stay home and watch all the other boys and girls run out and play tomorrow morning.

It's a small plot surrounded by the biggest national forest in this part of the country with lots of both transient and territorial activity, so I'm not too fussed about pressure. Especially if he gets the monster buck that's running all the other bucks off his territory.

I would also like to taste well-cooked mountain lion, but I'm not sure I'd pull the trigger on one. The only predator I'd take a shot at without second thoughts is a bear, otherwise it just doesn't look like food to me, for some reason.

Mzuri fucked around with this message at 08:26 on May 15, 2020

super floppy disk
Feb 21, 2004

Getting some mixed messages from my state's hunter ed course.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Fun Shoe

Do you have a tarp with "deer deer deer" printed all over it?

CoffeeBooze
Aug 4, 2007

Nuh Uh!

I do not, but I would like to.

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

taqueso posted:

Do you have a tarp with "deer deer deer" printed all over it?

It would be cool if you could design a tarp with like game skeletons all over it. Probably more acceptable since it is not 'gorey'.

*opens a new tab*

Mzuri
Jun 5, 2004

Shot through the heart!

CoffeeBooze posted:

I do not, but I would like to.

Popping on from my laptop (instead of from the app) for the first time in forever. What uh... what's up with that av?

CoffeeBooze
Aug 4, 2007

Nuh Uh!

I got skeptical about the AR15 platform in the wrong thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iammeandsoareyou
Oct 27, 2007
Nothing to see here

So Iím a long time shooter, but Iíve never been a hunter though Iíve always wanted to take it up. So this year world events have finally knocked me off the fence, but Iím little bit at a loss of the best way to get started.

So so far what Iíve gotten done is to get my Florida hunter safety card, and have been studying up on game regulations. But I donít know anyone who hunts or anybody with private land I could ask to hunt on. So Iím kind of left with the options of going through a hunting outfitter to start or hitting public lands solo (in Florida) as a novice. Iím strongly leaning towards an outfitter to get my feet wet then moving to public lands. Totally open to input on why that is wrong way to get started.

As far as game Iím planning on hunting wild boar, since theyíre a nuisance animal anyway and Iíve heard theyíre good eating. Also planning to deer in season. Tools I have on hand for the job are an AR platform with a 5.56/.223 long barrel upper and .450 bushmaster upper (that one is for the hogs), with five round mags for both. I donít really have a problem using an AR platform on pigs but hunting deer with an AR seems wrong for some reason (though it is technically allowed with five round mags). The only bolt action I have is an m44 Mosin. While my example actually has a safety that works, the idea of lugging it around the country all day doesnít sound that wonderful, and I have no intention of sporterizing it. Iím looking at getting either a Ruger American Ranch or CZ527 in 7.62x39. From my googling, ballistics nerds seem to think it is powerful enough for humane use at the same range as 30/30 and both ammo and rifles are super reasonable price wise. Also really interested in bow hunting, especially for public land hunting, but I have zero archery experience.

So that where Iím at now. Thoughts, suggestions ?

«252 »