Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«252 »
Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

CoffeeBooze posted:

Delicious bun!

Cool find on the skullcap! Rabbits are one of my favorite meats, and I know at least one of your boys likes it.

All this shotgun chat is reminding me that I need to send mine in, I just haven't done it yet because I figured everything would be shut down due to COVID. Part of me is tempted just to see if I should try to use it again and see if it was just the ammo but I know next to nothing about guns and shouldn't risk that.

edit: Oof, what a snipe. Tag results aren't out yet so I can't even pad it with something cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CoffeeBooze
Aug 4, 2007

Nuh Uh!

I plan to use the rabbit along with some venison and pork we have on hand to make my first, second and possibly third attempts at a burgoo. I know my boys are going to turn their noses up the moment they hear the dish's name. That just means more for me though!

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

No luck on todayís morel hunt, but I did see two deer right when I parked behind our barn and then another one as I was walking back to the car. I forgot how fast undergrowth can grow in the few weeks since I tried last, so much green stuff in the way of looking at the ground!

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

Woo WOO, Look a Parrot...
LOOK AT IT!

The guy selling the m2 tried to bad eBay auction me and charge 90$ for shipping so I told him to stuff it.

Back to looking at other guns.

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Ophidian posted:

The guy selling the m2 tried to bad eBay auction me and charge 90$ for shipping so I told him to stuff it.

Back to looking at other guns.

Guy sounded kinda skeevy anyway. Sorry.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!

The only part that stinks is that I didnít get to indulge in a barely researched purchase that I may have ultimately regretted just to save money I hadnít planned on spending two weeks ago.

Plus this gives me something to think about and keep my idle hands busy

Mzuri
Jun 5, 2004

Shot through the heart!

I recently traded in my cheapish Jaguar over/under for a used Baikal MP153. Since the skeet range opened a few weeks ago I've put about 300 shells through it and I'm impressed.

It's built like a tractor but it shoots well, the action is smooth and it's the perfect length for my longish arms. Only complaint is that it doesn't cycle well with light loads unless you tighten the spring, but that is quickly done with the right tool.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!

Iím now rethinking my shotgun deal and considering going with a pump 20ga and red dot then if I expand past turkey hunting/deer hunting I can get a better purpose built semi auto for upland birds.

Since Iím heading in that direction is there anything I should be looking for in terms of an optics ready pump?

Flatland Crusoe
Jan 12, 2011

Great White Hunter
Master Race

Let me explain why I'm better than you

Ophidian posted:

Iím now rethinking my shotgun deal and considering going with a pump 20ga and red dot then if I expand past turkey hunting/deer hunting I can get a better purpose built semi auto for upland birds.

Since Iím heading in that direction is there anything I should be looking for in terms of an optics ready pump?

For a 20 gauge weight is what I would focus on. To me 20 gauge shotguns are really handy between 6.0-6.5 lbs. For a dedicated turkey gun 24Ē barrel or shorter is what you want. I think the Benelli/Beretta choke systems offer better patterning potential than mossberg accuchoke or remchoke mostly because they are longer chokes. Iíve also just had better luck with Beretta/Benelli chokes than accuchoke personally.

It depends what optic you want to mount. There are lower profile mounts available for DPP/RMR/Micro bases from KE arms and EGW that prevent needing multiple adapters and keep a tight cheekweld. There are certainly more available available for for Mossberg 500ís and 870ís assuming they fit 20 gauge receivers but the EGW ones will work for Benelli spacing I have seen so far.

I honestly think buying a dedicated turkey gun as your only shotgun is a bad idea. The value in a shotgun is flexibility and going with a shorter barrel and a red dot that would require re zeroing after you take it out to shoot clays ruins that flexibility IMO. Maybe you have zero interest in shotgun sports but I have dedicated turkey shotguns because I have others for ducks or sporting clays. Re zeroing shotguns with turkey loads is a massive pain in the rear end. You seriously get like 10 tries to get those $7 shotgun shells going exactly where you want before your should is black and blue.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

I never hear anyone discussing them but here in NJ we are limited generally to archery, black powder and shotguns and the Savage 212 and 220 bolt action 12 and 20 gauge are popular as a deer slug gun because it's basically rifle like in its use. I've gone with a 1301 Comp because I can use it for competition as well as hunting a variety of game, but I've been eying the 212 for a while.

Flatland Crusoe
Jan 12, 2011

Great White Hunter
Master Race

Yuns posted:

I never hear anyone discussing them but here in NJ we are limited generally to archery, black powder and shotguns and the Savage 212 and 220 bolt action 12 and 20 gauge are popular as a deer slug gun because it's basically rifle like in its use. I've gone with a 1301 Comp because I can use it for competition as well as hunting a variety of game, but I've been eying the 212 for a while.

I was looking at 220 for quite a while during the 7 years I lived in Illinois but during all those years I think I drew shotgun season deer tags 3? Times and I was completely content to use a modern muzzleloader for those few hunts. The range is the same, they are just less convenient to use. Also of the dozen or so states Iíve hunted in Illinois was the only shotgun deer state and the opportunity on deer there was really skewed towards archery hunting. All firearm tags were by lottery even for private land but archery tags were OTC for residents. Itís a really good tool for certain areas but now that straight walled rifle rounds are becoming the shotgun deer state exception Iím not sure they will remain as popular.

One thing Iíll note is that Iíve always been very surprised by how few specialized slug guns I saw other hunters using in a shotgun deer state. Most guys seemed plenty content to use an 870 with rifle sights or similar and a lot more serious guys just hot rodded their Muzzleloaders to get extended range.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!

In my looking for guns, since im not in a rush to make a decision now, I have found two potential candidates for a generic use gun:
A300 Turkey - 24" barrel, drilled/tapped for scope mounts
Winchester SX4 - Universal hunter 26" drilled/tapped for scope mounts

The a300 is cheaper but seems to be more geared for a specific task wheres the SX4 has basically everything I was looking at for a general purpose shotgun. Also, the barrels for the sx4 are much cheaper than the a300.

As with any online review there are poo-pooers of both models but most people seem to be happy with both models. Hopefully I can go handle one/both in person at some point in the next coming months since I am not going back to my office until august most likely and will have the ability to take some day trips here and there.

Flatland Crusoe
Jan 12, 2011

Great White Hunter
Master Race

Ophidian posted:

In my looking for guns, since im not in a rush to make a decision now, I have found two potential candidates for a generic use gun:
A300 Turkey - 24" barrel, drilled/tapped for scope mounts
Winchester SX4 - Universal hunter 26" drilled/tapped for scope mounts

The a300 is cheaper but seems to be more geared for a specific task wheres the SX4 has basically everything I was looking at for a general purpose shotgun. Also, the barrels for the sx4 are much cheaper than the a300.

As with any online review there are poo-pooers of both models but most people seem to be happy with both models. Hopefully I can go handle one/both in person at some point in the next coming months since I am not going back to my office until august most likely and will have the ability to take some day trips here and there.

Keep in mind A300 barrels go on sale regularly for 25-40% off thanks to Berettaís rather generous sales and coupons. You can get a blued A300 barrel for $200 or so if you wait for a sale. Camo barrels cost a fair bit more. At one point last year when they had the 60% off coupon they were like $120.

I have beat the ever loving poo poo out of my A300 for 7 years or so. Mine went swimming for about half an hour on a duck hunt and has run fine ever since. My only gripe with the A300 is that I think they kick a bit harder than A400 series. As far as a working shotgun that fits well and shoots well the A300 is pretty fantastic. The arenít as nice as the A400/390/391 series but as hunting tools they are great and wonít hold you back on the clays course. One note is that to keep cost down the A300 was only offered as a 28Ē barrel for the first 5 years it was available but now there is a 30Ē clays version and a 24Ē turkey version. Why a 26Ē version never showed up Iím not sure.

One issue with the A300 is they physically canít take a magazine tube extension if you want to play 3 gun or go chase snow geese if that matters to you. Thatís a big plus of the M2 over the A300.

The A300 has awesome fit adjustability with provided shims and spacers to get an LOP from ~13-15 inches.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!

So it looks like the a300 black synthetic version does come in 26" according to their marketing materials, but I cannot, for the life of me, find a UPC or even a beretta specific model number for it.
Of the two guns I like the winchester for available features but I think id feel better seeing either/both in person so I can make a better call on whether or not those features are important to me.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Applied for two doe pronghorn tags near where I'll be with Flatland and our mutual friend in WY. That plus bringing a .22 along for small game and grouse should make for plenty of opportunity to do more than take photos.

CoffeeBooze
Aug 4, 2007

Nuh Uh!

I look forward to seeing those pictures and hearing a trip report. It look like my first trip out to WY has been pushed out to early 2022 so it looks like its my turn to live vicariously through you dudes.

On an unrelated note, since Ive gotten pretty committed to hunting from the ground in dense woods I figure its time for me to cobble together some kind of blind. My motion discipline is generally pretty good but having some kind of cover to hunker behind while taking a coffee break or just to wiggle my toes would be nice. I primarily need something that sets up fast and breaks down small enough to fit in an 18 liter pack along with space for kill kit, water, snacks, etc. There area lot of cheap, kind of lovely looking stake blinds on the market that seem like they would do what I want so Ive been thinking about making one myself just using a few aluminum tent polls and some camo netting. Itd be lighter and I could tailor it specifically to my needs but oddly I dont think it would actually end up cheaper. The thing is this is such a simple idea I expected other people to have already done it and discussed doing it someplace on the internet. I cant really find a thing. Is there something Im failing to appreciate here that makes this such a dumb idea no one has bothered to do it? The only concern I can think of so far is wind, which I think I can manage using some rocks to weigh down the netting.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

The lightest option would probably be to just get a leafy top like this and no blind. https://www.firstlite.com/products/...-leafy-suit-top
If you want this, or anything First Lite, let me know and I can give you a promo referral code to save a little bit

Rolling your own with netting and tent stakes/paracord/fiberglass driveway markers is definitely a thing people do.

This is a tyvek blind material and fiberglass stakes which is probably the lightest commercial option you'll find, also pretty cheap https://www.cabelas.com/product/hun...0.uts?slotId=14

I have one of these which works pretty well but is definitely heavier and larger than you're looking for. https://www.cabelas.com/catalog/pro..._ref=prd1584200

Flatland Crusoe
Jan 12, 2011

Great White Hunter
Master Race

CoffeeBooze posted:

I look forward to seeing those pictures and hearing a trip report. It look like my first trip out to WY has been pushed out to early 2022 so it looks like its my turn to live vicariously through you dudes.

On an unrelated note, since Ive gotten pretty committed to hunting from the ground in dense woods I figure its time for me to cobble together some kind of blind. My motion discipline is generally pretty good but having some kind of cover to hunker behind while taking a coffee break or just to wiggle my toes would be nice. I primarily need something that sets up fast and breaks down small enough to fit in an 18 liter pack along with space for kill kit, water, snacks, etc. There area lot of cheap, kind of lovely looking stake blinds on the market that seem like they would do what I want so Ive been thinking about making one myself just using a few aluminum tent polls and some camo netting. Itd be lighter and I could tailor it specifically to my needs but oddly I dont think it would actually end up cheaper. The thing is this is such a simple idea I expected other people to have already done it and discussed doing it someplace on the internet. I cant really find a thing. Is there something Im failing to appreciate here that makes this such a dumb idea no one has bothered to do it? The only concern I can think of so far is wind, which I think I can manage using some rocks to weigh down the netting.

I would just try out one of those adjustable height primos stake blinds, itís closest to what you want. If anything the pole adjustment pieces will break and you can reuse the mesh with tent poles or whatever.

My dad has both of the primos blinds CharlieBravo77 linked and he loves the cheaper one and hates the nicer one functionally. He does break the cheap ones somewhat often but heís just hard on gear in general so that isnít saying much.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!

So In looking at shotguns I came across Franchi, which is owned by Baretta, made in Italy and imported by Benelli.

Their affinity 3 looks pretty nice and ticks all the boxes. Anyone have experience with them? Just trying to narrow down what to look at/not bother looking at when more shops open up.

1337_ScriptKiddie
Mar 21, 2009

What is going on in here?

Yuns posted:

I am in VA and have been living with similar restrictions. I picked up a Mossberg 930 with a rifled slug barrel and cantilever mount. It has worked well. A lot of guys at the club I am apart of have similar setups. I mean its not fancy but I have had success with it. There are also lots of aftermarket options for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flatland Crusoe
Jan 12, 2011

Great White Hunter
Master Race

Ophidian posted:

So In looking at shotguns I came across Franchi, which is owned by Baretta, made in Italy and imported by Benelli.

Their affinity 3 looks pretty nice and ticks all the boxes. Anyone have experience with them? Just trying to narrow down what to look at/not bother looking at when more shops open up.

All I can say about the Franchi is a guy I work with and duck hunted with last year has one and it worked fine one day we duck hunted together.

Franchi is caught in the trap where people really lean on the Beretta/Benelli relationship as a positive or negative without much in between. Some people are convinced a Franchi is an Super Black Eagle for half the price with a different name and others think they are garbage for not being a Benelli. I donít think either is explicitly true but be aware it can be sold either way in a gun store.

«252 »