Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.

Apollodorus posted:

Heading back after dark we spotted a feeder that appeared well stocked and popular with the wildlife. I went back the next weekend, and found my way back there before dawn pretty easily (I walk very quickly when I'm alone):

Is this a section of corrugated drain pipe turned on its side and filled with corn? Because thats some interesting improvisation right there. Not quite on par with the climber CharlieBravo found, but much lazier.

Also, congrats on the baby!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

That is exactly what it is, though itís actually vertical and tied to a small tree with other branches around it to make the deer a little less suspicious.

Also, thanks! Maybe by the time sheís old enough to hunt Iíll know what the hell Iím doing.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Chaosfeather posted:

Dapper: Glad to hear that doe is doing alright! I was worried that those guys had poached her when we came back so glad to see she's still hanging around that spot. It looks promising for sure, and if your gun was in a position that the pigs wouldn't have seen you reach for it I think you would have had bacon! Good report, sorry you didn't get anything but it sounds like you had an exciting day. Happen to see my annoying little bird friend or their kin?

Im not sure if it was the cold and rain or maybe if I just wasnt very observant but I spotted very few birds. That angry squirrel was just about the only encounter I had with small game the whole day. That was kind of disappointing to since usually these areas make for some good bird watching.

vs Dinosaurs
Mar 14, 2009

Thank you for the resources and information! I have only seen CA apprentice hunts labeled as Jr. Only or Women Only, but will keep monitoring the site as seasons change.

Will also look into the back country hunters and anglers resources. I am a bit intimidated by water fowl, as I understand that a good deal of specialized equipment is required to get started. That said, I am definitely interested.

Contacted the local Fish and Wildlife game warden to see if they have any resources, and he is reaching out to some folks to see if there is anything available.

I am in the Bay Area and would be open to meeting up with other CA Goons, as you mention in your reply, should the opportunity present itself!

Flatland Crusoe
Jan 12, 2011

Great White Hunter
Master Race

Let me explain why I'm better than you

Captn Kurp posted:

Hunting in Meth-O-Potamia

Iím not sure if this is the case but Iím guessing you drove from a metro area and then picked an area adjacent to smallish town that gets a lot of local traffic from low level drugs and high school kids messing around.

Iíve found in my experience a lot of sketchy stuff occurring within a few miles of a small town that I drove hours to get to from a larger metro area. This is the case with one of my more common access points I drive to thatís an hour for me and 10 minutes from a crappy ex urban town where there are always people doing sketchy poo poo at 4 am.

Just because you travel a long way to get somewhere doesnít mean it isnít close for others. If you are traveling to hunt this is a game of finding legit out of the way places, most people hunt within an hour of their house and people doing dumb unrelated stuff are much closer. Consider this closely when picking areas.

Flatland Crusoe
Jan 12, 2011

Great White Hunter
Master Race

vs Dinosaurs posted:

Thank you for the resources and information! I have only seen CA apprentice hunts labeled as Jr. Only or Women Only, but will keep monitoring the site as seasons change.

Will also look into the back country hunters and anglers resources. I am a bit intimidated by water fowl, as I understand that a good deal of specialized equipment is required to get started. That said, I am definitely interested.

Contacted the local Fish and Wildlife game warden to see if they have any resources, and he is reaching out to some folks to see if there is anything available.

I am in the Bay Area and would be open to meeting up with other CA Goons, as you mention in your reply, should the opportunity present itself!

The one worth noting thing is that northern and central CA waterfowl hunting is top notch from a National perspective and most of the other hunting in CA, especially on public land is poor to lackluster. I donít encourage people to waterfowl hunt outside of major migration routes having hunted both good and bad waterfowl regions but you are close to a great area with a good organized mentorship opportunities through local hunting organizations.

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

vs Dinosaurs posted:

Do you have PMs? If not I'll ping Ryanrs and Andamac for you. I met Ryanrs hunting last year with Andamac and we shot some pheasant, chukar and at some ducks. Ryanrs mentioned having a pretty decent time with the waterfowl programs since they take you into a blind with someone to mentor you, which sounds amazing. I've never hunted a waterfowl blind. It wasn't a priority this year due to COVID but once it's safe to again I think that'd be an excellent introduction to that aspect of it.

Like Flatland said, central and norcal are great hunting areas, even if there's a lot of competition and you have to look for a spot to call your own. There's just a lot of opportunities and a lot of people participating. You're in a good area for Ducks, Geese, pheasants, pigs and turkey and are rather close to great mule deer, blacktail deer, elk, black bear, mountain quail, squirrel and raccoons. If you are willing to drive a little you've got great rabbit, jackrabbit (hare), coyote, fox and other opportunities. I would start by assessing what sounds like fun to you. I think Deer or Pheasant would be a great introductory to different styles and are both pretty easy to access up there. Start by figuring out what you want to shoot with (shotgun, rifle, crossbow, bow and arrow, muzzleloader) and you can go from there.

CA has a lot of gun, ammo and hunting laws to keep an eye out for and unfortunately from my experience not everyone follows them. I've personally found it much easier to learn with all of the laws and restrictions in place so I develop good habits and when I hunt in other places that allow, say hunting over bait, to be pleasantly surprised if it's easier.

It's always going to help to have a mentor, but you can start on your own like a few of us have. I learn leaps and bounds whenever I hunt with someone else so it's just going to help if you can get out there and try.

Another thing to consider is to go on a guided hunt if you can afford it. Some places have deals if you go with another person and not all guided hunts are stupid expensive. Sure if you're going for big ticket animals it is but I thoroughly enjoyed the guided waterfowl hunt I went with Andamac a few years ago and even though I was super sick with the flu I still got a duck and had a good time. A guide is going to have a lot of advice for their specific area but they may have some advice on the species as well that you can take with you, and they will generally have all the blinds, decoys and such that you need. I personally do DIY hunts the vast majority of the time but I learned a lot of the basic stuff on that hunt and on the apprentice hunts I participated in.

Chaosfeather fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jan 11, 2021

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Don't care. Just do not care. We win, you lose. You do though, you seem to care very much

I'm going to go ride my mountain bike, later nerds.

Hey SA hunters. Long time Coloradan, first time hunter checking in.

I was set on taking with a bow this fall but decided since Iím very green a rifle provides a higher chance of success. In the market now, eyeing 308 and 6.5 creedmoor. Any recommendations on a good entry level hunting rifle that will also be solid for some long shooting at the range?

Iíll considering anything under 1000$, ideally though Iím spending 500-700 before glass.

A few models Iíve seen recommended are the Savage 110, Ruger American Predator, and Bergera B14. Any thoughts?

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Tikka T3x, Browning X-Bolt, Weatherby Vanguard (particularly the MeatEater or First Lite versions) and the already mentioned Bergara are worth considering. I have the Browning X-Bolt Hell's Canyon Speed in 7mm-08 and have zero complaints with it. You can occasionally find it for $999 but the other tiers of the X-Bolt like the Stainless Stalker are priced lower and might be a more attractive option on a budget.

For me, the biggest feature set I was looking for was:

Composite stock
3 position safety or bolt lock function
Short bolt lift
Stainless or protective coating on the barrel and action
Short action chamberings with an actual short action

At the time the HCS was the best bang for the buck. Right now I'd probably take a hard look at the Vanguard but I know two other people with X-Bolts and they have been great performers. The friend Flatland and I went to WY with has one of the lower tier models and when I took him out to the range I did a test shot at 600 yards with calculations off the factory ammo box and hit an elk vital sized steel plate on the first round.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

hobbez posted:

I was set on taking with a bow this fall but decided since I’m very green a rifle provides a higher chance of success. In the market now, eyeing 308 and 6.5 creedmoor. Any recommendations on a good entry level hunting rifle that will also be solid for some long shooting at the range?

I’ll considering anything under 1000$, ideally though I’m spending 500-700 before glass.

A few models I’ve seen recommended are the Savage 110, Ruger American Predator, and Bergera B14. Any thoughts?

I like my Predator but I wish I'd waited for the version that takes AR mags instead of the expensive rotary mags that are a comparative pain to load.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

Woo WOO, Look a Parrot...
LOOK AT IT!

My father and I have the HCS (mine in 7mm08 his in 308) and we are big fans of them.

Flatland Crusoe
Jan 12, 2011

Great White Hunter
Master Race

hobbez posted:

I was set on taking with a bow this fall but decided since Iím very green a rifle provides a higher chance of success. In the market now, eyeing 308 and 6.5 creedmoor. Any recommendations on a good entry level hunting rifle that will also be solid for some long shooting at the range?

Iíll considering anything under 1000$, ideally though Iím spending 500-700 before glass.

A few models Iíve seen recommended are the Savage 110, Ruger American Predator, and Bergera B14. Any thoughts?

Being you are in Colorado I would also consider spending $250-300 as well on a muzzleloader in addition to a rifle. The September muzzleloader season for elk is a much nicer time of year to be out compared to the rifle seasons and has similar success rates to rifle hunts because the elk are bugling. Muzzleloaders are iron sites only in CO so that keeps their cost down as well.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

hobbez posted:

I love my Tikka T3x in 7mm-08 both for the quality and value of the gun, as well as the versatility and performance of the caliber. If I were to emphasize long range stuff more than I do here in Virginia I would probably get a Weatherby Vanguard in 7mm Rem Mag.

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Don't care. Just do not care. We win, you lose. You do though, you seem to care very much

I'm going to go ride my mountain bike, later nerds.

glynnenstein posted:

I love my Tikka T3x in 7mm-08 both for the quality and value of the gun, as well as the versatility and performance of the caliber. If I were to emphasize long range stuff more than I do here in Virginia I would probably get a Weatherby Vanguard in 7mm Rem Mag.

Interesting, I hadnít considered 7mm. Iíd been pretty honed in on 6.5 creedmoor but I see how the 7 would be a more capable cartridge for big game.

The Tikka T3x is just calling my name. I donít know what it is but I love the look of it and it seems like a rifle that will really last.

Gonna sit on it for a bit but if a good deals rolls along Iíll probably move on it. Thanks for the replies

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Chaosfeather posted:

Like Flatland said, central and norcal are great hunting areas

Got any suggestions? I just moved to the SF area and I've been putting off the research. I'm interested in deer, but I've also been wanting to get into upland game more, and if we've got good waterfowl I'll try them too.

Edit: I will check with my wife to see if she's interested in those women's pheasant hunts you mentioned. She didn't mind helping me cut up the elk, but she might prefer to stay away from the actual shooting part of the hunting process.

Pham Nuwen fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jan 14, 2021

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Pham Nuwen posted:

Got any suggestions? I just moved to the SF area and I've been putting off the research. I'm interested in deer, but I've also been wanting to get into upland game more, and if we've got good waterfowl I'll try them too.

Edit: I will check with my wife to see if she's interested in those women's pheasant hunts you mentioned. She didn't mind helping me cut up the elk, but she might prefer to stay away from the actual shooting part of the hunting process.

Most of my hunting experience has been out of state or SoCal, but for ducks I have been shown Grizzly Island (which has elk! good luck drawing that though...I've been trying for years) and Yolo Bypass. Both were great places to duck hunt and it's mostly my lack of practice that's held me back there. I believe the guided hunt for ducks I went on was on San Pablo Bay, but don't quote me on that. I was *super* out of it at the time. Suisun marsh and the general area has treated me well.

Norcal I am looking at elk in the northeast corner and at coastal blacktail in the northwest, but I haven't actually gotten to stomping around those areas to give you a good idea. A bit of a drive as you can imagine. I've been looking at mule deer and black bears in the Eastern Sierra's for years (I fish between Bishop and Bridgeport) so I haven't actually hunted there but I know it's a lot of good territory and I practice tracking up there when I visit. I was also scouting some areas around Lake Tahoe on the west side. When driving between the cities in central CA I will see pheasants and turkeys by or crossing some of the roads so I know they exist up there, but I need to pinpoint exactly where. I wish I could be more helpful! Honestly I am most familiar with the East Sierras since those are the places I've visited more than once or twice. I've been *told* that hunting outside of Yosemite for deer is ideal conditions, and have seen some very handsome specimens but have yet to draw that tag. As you can imagine other hunters are very hush-hush about it. Many of the spots in there are no-firearm areas due to fishing, skiing or other resorts so if you go the bow and arrow route you open up an absolutely huge amount of territory you can work with.

I've also seen some antelope way up in the northeast corner, but don't know the area well enough to say if they were regulars there or not.

If you're interested in the Sierra spots I've scouted PM me or message me on discord and I'll share what I've been planning for when I go for one of those X hunts.

The SLO women's hunt was very helpful and you take the birds back to the ranch area and they show you how to clean them yourself, but are willing to help. They hunt with guides and dogs, I have had mixed experiences but overall I found the experience enjoyable and enducational. If she's interested in wing shooting it would be an excellent start!

Edit: If you go on the same page as the apprentice hunts there's a bunch of turkey opportunities later this spring, that should give you a better general idea on where to find the big birds.

Chaosfeather fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Jan 14, 2021

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

FWIW I got a tikka t3x lite, fitted it with a scope and figured out how to zero through trial and error and it's hitting sub moa even with my probably bad reloads.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Chaosfeather posted:

Most of my hunting experience has been out of state or SoCal, but for ducks I have been shown Grizzly Island (which has elk! good luck drawing that though...I've been trying for years) and Yolo Bypass. Both were great places to duck hunt and it's mostly my lack of practice that's held me back there. I believe the guided hunt for ducks I went on was on San Pablo Bay, but don't quote me on that. I was *super* out of it at the time. Suisun marsh and the general area has treated me well.

Norcal I am looking at elk in the northeast corner and at coastal blacktail in the northwest, but I haven't actually gotten to stomping around those areas to give you a good idea. A bit of a drive as you can imagine. I've been looking at mule deer and black bears in the Eastern Sierra's for years (I fish between Bishop and Bridgeport) so I haven't actually hunted there but I know it's a lot of good territory and I practice tracking up there when I visit. I was also scouting some areas around Lake Tahoe on the west side. When driving between the cities in central CA I will see pheasants and turkeys by or crossing some of the roads so I know they exist up there, but I need to pinpoint exactly where. I wish I could be more helpful! Honestly I am most familiar with the East Sierras since those are the places I've visited more than once or twice. I've been *told* that hunting outside of Yosemite for deer is ideal conditions, and have seen some very handsome specimens but have yet to draw that tag. As you can imagine other hunters are very hush-hush about it. Many of the spots in there are no-firearm areas due to fishing, skiing or other resorts so if you go the bow and arrow route you open up an absolutely huge amount of territory you can work with.

I've also seen some antelope way up in the northeast corner, but don't know the area well enough to say if they were regulars there or not.

If you're interested in the Sierra spots I've scouted PM me or message me on discord and I'll share what I've been planning for when I go for one of those X hunts.

The SLO women's hunt was very helpful and you take the birds back to the ranch area and they show you how to clean them yourself, but are willing to help. They hunt with guides and dogs, I have had mixed experiences but overall I found the experience enjoyable and enducational. If she's interested in wing shooting it would be an excellent start!

Edit: If you go on the same page as the apprentice hunts there's a bunch of turkey opportunities later this spring, that should give you a better general idea on where to find the big birds.

Thanks for the effort post! Now that you mention it I recall someone in this thread talking about hunting Grizzly Island and it looked neat.

I guess I've got some time because as I understand the rules, I can't get a CA resident license for another 5-6 months, so I may as well do some scouting. Those areas you've been scouting for deer & bear, are they draw hunt zones only or do they have OTC tags?

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

For CA's stuff, here's what you need tags vs no tags for:

Tags - Draw
Bighorn Sheep
Deer (Mule deer, blacktail deer)
Elk (any subspecies)
Pronghorn Antelope

Tags - OTC
Bear (Black bear)
Leftover Deer (after the draw)
Wild Pig

Upland Bird Validation Covers:
Band-tailed Pigeon
Chukar
Dove ( Eurasian Collared, Mourning, Ringed turtle-dove, Spotted, White-winged)
Greater Sage-Grouse (currently closed, check seasons in the future)
Pheasant
Quail (Bobwhite, California, Gambel's, Mountain has a separate season)
Snipe
Sooty/Blue/Ruffled Grouse
White-tailed Ptarmigan
Wild Turkey

Federal Duck Stamp and California Waterfowl Validation required for
American Coot
Common Moorhen
Duck (check species)
Geese
Scaup

Just the license
American Crow (Strict rules, read first)
Aoudad
Badger
Beaver
Coyote (Note: In Northern California Grey wolves are starting to come back to the state and are protected. If in this area be very sure of your target before you shoot)
Feral Goat
Grey fox
Hare
Invasive Deer (Fallow, Sambar, Sika, Axis deer, during deer season in the region)
Jackrabbit
Mink
Moles (Check species)
Mouflon
Muskrat
Opossum
Rabbit
Raccoon
Rodents (Check species)
Skunk
Tahr
Tree Squirrel (Check the legal zones!)
Weasel

Fishing license required for take
Desert Iguana
Frogs (Bullfrog and others, check)
Lizards (Check, too many to list)
Rattlesnake (Mojave, Panamint, Sidewinder, Speckled, Western, Western Diamond-backed)
Salamanders (Check - newts are classified here under the law?)
Snakes (Check, too many to list)
Toad (Great Basin, Great Plains, Red-spotted, Western, Woodhouse)
Turtle (Painted Turtle, Pond Slider, Spiny Softshell only)

Depending on where you hunt you'll also need a pass for a state-operated hunting area (such as grizzly island). So please purchase that ahead of time! You can get individual day passes or seasonal.

For birds you probably need to 'purchase' the free HIP validation and fill out the survey as well.

So in response to your question Pham - The Deer season is an X zone, which is a premium draw. The Bear is OTC. But I figured I'd drop all the info off for my and other CA hunters future ref.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

What kind of monster hunts a mole??

Also ravens/crows.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

The worst kind of all, militant gardeners.

I am super curious about those feral goats. Is there actually a decent population any place?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

The goldfields region of western Australia is absolutely rife with goats and you don't need a permit to take them, just landowner permission. But I don't think that's the answer you're looking for.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

One of my bucket list type of hunts is feral goats in Hawaii. Although really Im more interested in the feral goats side of the equation rather than Hawaii. Feral goats in West Australia might be supplanting Hawaii on this particular bucket list entry. I have no clue how I would go about getting in touch with a land owner out there, but hats a problem for later.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!

If I was going to hunt an animal in Hawaii it would be Axis deer.

AmbassadorofSodomy
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Ophidian posted:

If I was going to hunt an animal in Hawaii it would be Axis deer.

Still can't get over the war eh?

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!

Ran out of ally deer. Iíll take what I can get.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

DapperDraculaDeer posted:

One of my bucket list type of hunts is feral goats in Hawaii. Although really Im more interested in the feral goats side of the equation rather than Hawaii. Feral goats in West Australia might be supplanting Hawaii on this particular bucket list entry. I have no clue how I would go about getting in touch with a land owner out there, but hats a problem for later.

Australia's gun control is next level compared to USA and Canada, that'd be the difficult bit. Especially trying to import firearms.

Most/all native animals have pretty strict hunting restrictions (except when they're pests like emus, kangaroos cockatoos etc on farms). Feral animals like pigs, goats and camels are farmer permission I think.

We've got an odd relationship with animals. Down south and in Queensland pig hunting is done with a few dogs and a knife. I flew with a chopper pilot who did camel culls, thousands of animals just left to rot. Also see our failed war on emus.

It's also pretty expensive to fly down there from North America, or anywhere really.

Outrail fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jan 15, 2021

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Chaosfeather posted:

For CA's stuff, here's what you need tags vs no tags for:

This post is excellent and I'm quoting half to thank you, and half to make it easier to find it again later

There should be a feature to bookmark specific posts... Besides the in-browser bookmark functionality I mean.

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Outrail posted:

It's also pretty expensive to fly down there from North America, or anywhere really.

I would love to visit Aus and NZ sometime, but I don't think I'd be able to pay the money to go on hunts in either country. Definitely gonna try kangaroo and see if I can get a fur-on pelt, if I go. Gotta keep up my weird fur baron habits. I also want to see your wild parrots Not to shoot of course, just to observe chaos elementals in their natural habitat.

Pham Nuwen posted:

This post is excellent and I'm quoting half to thank you, and half to make it easier to find it again later

There should be a feature to bookmark specific posts... Besides the in-browser bookmark functionality I mean.

You're welcome! I started it with the tags and went "Wait this actually would be really good for me to document for later". So thanks for inspiring the idea!

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

What happened to gimpsuitjones/Path Films? Those NZ hunting videos were some of the most jealousy inducing videos, second only to cooking channels that go hand make Italian feasts in the hills of Tuscany.

AmbassadorofSodomy
Dec 30, 2016

Chaosfeather posted:

I would love to visit Aus and NZ sometime, but I don't think I'd be able to pay the money to go on hunts in either country. Definitely gonna try kangaroo and see if I can get a fur-on pelt, if I go. Gotta keep up my weird fur baron habits. I also want to see your wild parrots Not to shoot of course, just to observe chaos elementals in their natural habitat.

A recent issue of Backcountry Hunter magazine did an article on Hunting some kind of invasive (deer I think) Himalayan Tahr in NZ, and they mentioned that the entire hunt was "affordable". Like as in not tens of thousands per person.

backcountry hunter mag spring 2020, Pg95 posted:

Because the DOC wants numbers controlled, there are no tags, no seasons, and no bag limits.

How much did this DIY adventure set us back?In total, we spent between $2,000 to $2,500 per person

2,000-2,500 USD, not an unattainable amount for what would be a crazy assed hunt of a lifetime.

GOON TRIP!!

Mzuri
Jun 5, 2004

Who's the boss?
Dudes is lost.
Don't think coz I'm iced out,
I'm cooled off.

I shot a mallard from my layout boat today. I winged him and he went down on the water just on the other side of a sandbar that I had to drag the boat over before getting the kayak paddle out. By then he was 200m away and hauling rear end through the waves.

It took me 5 minutes of intense effort against the wind, but I caught up with him and delivered the coup de grace - on the second try because I was so winded from the chase.

Won't lie, it was fun once I realized I'd catch him.

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Mzuri posted:

I shot a mallard from my layout boat today. I winged him and he went down on the water just on the other side of a sandbar that I had to drag the boat over before getting the kayak paddle out. By then he was 200m away and hauling rear end through the waves.

It took me 5 minutes of intense effort against the wind, but I caught up with him and delivered the coup de grace - on the second try because I was so winded from the chase.

Won't lie, it was fun once I realized I'd catch him.

Grats on hitting him and catching up to him! Would love to see dat bird but I understand being too exhausted to take a picture if you happened to skip that. Hope you have delicious plans for him, I accept food picture too.

wesleywillis posted:

A recent issue of Backcountry Hunter magazine did an article on Hunting some kind of invasive (deer I think) Himalayan Tahr in NZ, and they mentioned that the entire hunt was "affordable". Like as in not tens of thousands per person.

2,000-2,500 USD, not an unattainable amount for what would be a crazy assed hunt of a lifetime.

GOON TRIP!!

That's not bad at all! I'll give it some thought.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I am starting to look at getting new boots for hunting, my 9 year old Vasque Men's Taku GTX boots need to be replaced for a variety of reasons (didn't take great care of them, sole worn down, need better waterproofness for PNW).

Thoughts on criteria:
- Hunting in the PNW climate, which mainly means I want something that can be rained on for 8 hours without letting the water get to my feet, probably means goretex stuff?
- High ankle support, my ankles are poo poo.
- I'll be about a size 11 and my feet are pretty normal shape with a somewhat flat arch so likely any normal boot shape will work.
- REI purchasable would be nice but not required.

What say you?

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

tangy yet delightful posted:

I am starting to look at getting new boots for hunting, my 9 year old Vasque Men's Taku GTX boots need to be replaced for a variety of reasons (didn't take great care of them, sole worn down, need better waterproofness for PNW).

Thoughts on criteria:
- Hunting in the PNW climate, which mainly means I want something that can be rained on for 8 hours without letting the water get to my feet, probably means goretex stuff?
- High ankle support, my ankles are poo poo.
- I'll be about a size 11 and my feet are pretty normal shape with a somewhat flat arch so likely any normal boot shape will work.
- REI purchasable would be nice but not required.

What say you?

I really like the LaSportiva Trango series, specifically the TRK I have. They're full synthetic and Goretex which I think helps a lot staying dry and drying back out if they do get wet. I have had a bunch of leather upper boots that I hated getting wet and muddy because of how hard it was to clean and dry. Also a big fan of Goretex gaiters over boots/pant legs to keep water from seeping in through pants and socks.

charliebravo77 fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Jan 16, 2021

Mzuri
Jun 5, 2004

Who's the boss?
Dudes is lost.
Don't think coz I'm iced out,
I'm cooled off.

Chaosfeather posted:

Grats on hitting him and catching up to him! Would love to see dat bird but I understand being too exhausted to take a picture if you happened to skip that. Hope you have delicious plans for him, I accept food picture too.

Thanks! Well I had to get back to my decoys as there were a lot of birds in the air, and I was getting rocked a fair bit by waves.

But here he is, ready for the vacuum packer

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Chased a bunch of dogs around today at a Hunting Retriever Club training event. Took 2300 photos so I'm sure there will be more eventually, but here's a couple good ones. Jet black dogs on bright white snow in waist high brush was challenging to shoot in. Most of them look like this:

Better:

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Here's some more of the better ones. I want a lab now.

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Did you marry a man who married the sea? He looks right through you to the distant grey - calling, calling..

wesleywillis posted:

Yeah, unless you want to pay for a guided hunt there is no cost to actually going out after our invasive species once you're in the country and have worked out how to get a firearm here (that's the bit I don't know about - how it works to get a temporary firearms license or if that's even a thing). Worst case scenario, our firearms law allows for someone without a license to use a firearm as long as it is under close supervision of someone with a license, so you'd just need to find a local who was willing to go on a hunt with you which I don't think would be hard at all.

Then you have access to a ton of public land where you can hunt free of charge, with maybe a few dollars here and there (like $5NZD a night) if you want to stay in public huts and just the cost of fuel/food/etc if you're tenting or doing day hunts.

Tahr, chamois and red deer are all relatively easy to find here on public land and getting out in the bush is amazing even if you have an unsuccessful hunt.

I went out on a trip with a friend recently about an hour out of town and saw three red deer hinds and one stag the first afternoon. Got one of the hinds pretty easily, and I'm fairly sure if we went back we could get another given the amount of sign and activity around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AmbassadorofSodomy
Dec 30, 2016

I'm in.
Once the plague is done, goon hunting trip to NZ!!