Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Posting in the springtime

What a sweet spot you found. Mountain weather can be wild for sure, good call getting down when the storm rolled in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

What an awesome trip! No bear, sure, but what a good first mountain experience. You didn't dehydrate or starve yourself too badly, you didn't get flung off the mountain and the weather didn't wash you down with it or trap you there. All in all, pretty good first trip!

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017
NRA shill who thinks homeless people would love to live in migrant border camps. Help me realize I am a bigoted piece of shit.

I love the Medicine Bow area.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.

alnilam posted:

What a sweet spot you found. Mountain weather can be wild for sure, good call getting down when the storm rolled in.

It was painful to clal it quits early since I had planned to have that whole day to hunt. Leaving early definitely was the right choice though. Going forward I need to work out some way to get weather forecasts in remote areas so I can make an informed decision rather than just taking a best guess. Do people still use weather radios for that?

Chaosfeather posted:

What an awesome trip! No bear, sure, but what a good first mountain experience. You didn't dehydrate or starve yourself too badly, you didn't get flung off the mountain and the weather didn't wash you down with it or trap you there. All in all, pretty good first trip!

It was absolutely awesome and I cant wait to go back. Wyoming is pretty generous with their bear tags so if you fail to fill a tag in spring you can use it to hunt again in the fall so I might get to go back in October if possible.

Hasselblad posted:

I love the Medicine Bow area.

I dont have much other mountain experience to compare it with but Ive gotta say I love it too. It seemed to strike a pretty good balance between being tough to move through but not absolutely brutal, with a sizeable population of game animals and some really beautiful country. Its an area that doesnt seem to get mentioned much when it comes to hunting public land as well so hopefully it doesnt get crowded in the more popular seasons.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

DapperDraculaDeer posted:

It was painful to clal it quits early since I had planned to have that whole day to hunt. Leaving early definitely was the right choice though. Going forward I need to work out some way to get weather forecasts in remote areas so I can make an informed decision rather than just taking a best guess. Do people still use weather radios for that?
You should perhaps consider something like a garmin inreach mini. I need to work right now but I think they also have some weather service options in their ecosystem but mainly here I'm thinking about how you mentioned that you had no way to communicate with your family if you were delayed etc.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Weather radio still works well IME. Love to hear the robot guy give the forecast on repeat. Many UHF/VHF radios (like FRS walkie talkies) can receive weather frequencies so I'd you have one you might not need a dedicated weather radio.

AmbassadorofSodomy
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Do people still use weather radios for that?

I do, but then I also had a flip phone until less than a year ago.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

tangy yet delightful posted:

You should perhaps consider something like a garmin inreach mini. I need to work right now but I think they also have some weather service options in their ecosystem but mainly here I'm thinking about how you mentioned that you had no way to communicate with your family if you were delayed etc.

I made my work get some In reach minis so we can be safe during field activities. We don't need the second one so it's going to regularly disappear when I head to the backcountry.

Has anyone used the weather service on those? It's $1.75 a report so I assume there's some value to it?

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Sounds like an awesome trip. And it was a great trip report.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Jealous of the adventure Dapper and glad you didn't get the truck stuck in that snow. Did you at least get a salvage tag for the deer you smacked?

Weather radios are still very much a thing and NOAA puts out up to date forecast and conditions info over them. I have weather frequencies programmed into my ham and gmrs radios and use them from time to time. When hunting I have my inreach and have used the weather info from time to time through that as well. It's been largely accurate and I don't really have any complaints about it. If I were solo and/or in a place where the weather changed frequently I might consider carrying one of my GMRS radios in WX alert mode in case something significant were being broadcast like tornado alerts. I am also a nerd.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

I don't think it's nerd to not want to be picked up by a tornado, unless you've got a munchkin tag.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017
NRA shill who thinks homeless people would love to live in migrant border camps. Help me realize I am a bigoted piece of shit.

charliebravo77 posted:

Jealous of the adventure Dapper and glad you didn't get the truck stuck in that snow. Did you at least get a salvage tag for the deer you smacked?

Weather radios are still very much a thing and NOAA puts out up to date forecast and conditions info over them. I have weather frequencies programmed into my ham and gmrs radios and use them from time to time. When hunting I have my inreach and have used the weather info from time to time through that as well. It's been largely accurate and I don't really have any complaints about it. If I were solo and/or in a place where the weather changed frequently I might consider carrying one of my GMRS radios in WX alert mode in case something significant were being broadcast like tornado alerts. I am also a nerd.

I really wanted to get my Ham license a few years ago, even bought a Baofeng handheld with larger antenna and battery. Could not wrap my head around the electronics part of the test material though. Lots of folks told me to just study the available correct answers (without worrying about understanding the stuff). Very little on the test is applicable to the use of the radio itself. I am clearly not nerd enough.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Hasselblad posted:

I really wanted to get my Ham license a few years ago, even bought a Baofeng handheld with larger antenna and battery. Could not wrap my head around the electronics part of the test material though. Lots of folks told me to just study the available correct answers (without worrying about understanding the stuff). Very little on the test is applicable to the use of the radio itself. I am clearly not nerd enough.

I mean, memorizing the Q/A bank is probably how 90% of people pass the technician exam. Certainly how I did.

GMRS is actually becoming a really good option depending on your area with widely available repeater capable HTs now and lots of repeaters popping up, many even networked. I can talk to people in Indianapolis from the Chicago suburbs from a 5 watt HT if I wanted to. I have a 15 watt mobile in my truck now too. Best part is no exam and they just dropped the fee to I think $35 for 5 years. Check out mygmrs.com to see what repeaters are around you and if it might be a viable option.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Yeah, I have GMRS. You just need to have some money and time, and you'll get your license.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.

charliebravo77 posted:

I wish I had been able to go back to salvage some backstraps and a pelt. They would have been a fine and very appropriate souvenir from the trip I had. The problem was that my truck's turbo intercooler had been hit and had quite a few fins pushed in. It was probably leaking air, and I couldnt get a good look at the radiator behind it to tell if it was damaged and leaking coolant. Snow hitting the truck and melting was causing water to be dripping off the body everywhere so trying to determine what was precipitation and what was a possible coolant leak was difficult. There were no big green pools of coolant for sure but I was worried I might have a slow leak that would only get worse with time. I felt particularly bad about not going back to verify the mulie was dead and not suffering but based on the amount of blood, poo poo and hair stuck to my truck Im pretty sure it was dead or would be very soon. My feeling was it was time to be on the roadt right away because I could be stranded with a dead engine any moment.

I really need to start studying for my HAM operator exam again. I had been doing a bit of studying in my free time and it seemed like a super fun hobby that would be useful for situations like this. Its also a bit cheaper to get into than an InReach which would leave me with some extra cash for to spend on my latest bad idea. A dual sport motorcycle for getting back on the trails my truck doesnt like.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Ham is fun and i agree that just studying the question bank is the way to go. It's dumb that they require you know anything other than policy and operating procedure / etiquette. I don't have to be able to build a radio to use one

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

I wish I had been able to go back to salvage some backstraps and a pelt. They would have been a fine and very appropriate souvenir from the trip I had. The problem was that my truck's turbo intercooler had been hit and had quite a few fins pushed in. It was probably leaking air, and I couldnt get a good look at the radiator behind it to tell if it was damaged and leaking coolant. Snow hitting the truck and melting was causing water to be dripping off the body everywhere so trying to determine what was precipitation and what was a possible coolant leak was difficult. There were no big green pools of coolant for sure but I was worried I might have a slow leak that would only get worse with time. I felt particularly bad about not going back to verify the mulie was dead and not suffering but based on the amount of blood, poo poo and hair stuck to my truck Im pretty sure it was dead or would be very soon. My feeling was it was time to be on the roadt right away because I could be stranded with a dead engine any moment.

I really need to start studying for my HAM operator exam again. I had been doing a bit of studying in my free time and it seemed like a super fun hobby that would be useful for situations like this. Its also a bit cheaper to get into than an InReach which would leave me with some extra cash for to spend on my latest bad idea. A dual sport motorcycle for getting back on the trails my truck doesnt like.

Yikes. At least the one I hit in NE only did cosmetic damage.

HAM is useful as long as there's someone listening on simplex freqs in range or you are able to hit a repeater that someone is monitoring. An inReach basically has coverage over the entire globe as long as you have a clear view of the sky and the SOS function is monitored 24/7/365. Not saying HAM can't be useful but there are definitely limitations. If you want a buy once cry once true life-threatening emergency use only device get a PLB/EPIRB. They're also monitored 24/7/365, usable anywhere on the globe and have no maintenance costs aside from a new battery every 5 years or so depending on model. The downside is they are one-way "call in the cavalry" devices. Pop one off in the Rockies you're getting a SAR helo in the air most likely and if it's not life or death you may have some explaining to do once they find you. I really like the inReach because I can check in with home easily and if I need help I can specify what actually I need with the emergency response center.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Hasselblad posted:

You can use that Baofeng as a weather radio receiver. They're not good ham radios, but they do well enough for weather, since you can just program a bunch of frequencies into it and cycle through until you receive something. Unfortunately the process of programming the radio is a huge pain. The reason there's very little on the test applicable to the use of any given radio is that they all have their own user interfaces and the Baofeng's is, uh, obtuse.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

Pham Nuwen posted:

You can use that Baofeng as a weather radio receiver. They're not good ham radios, but they do well enough for weather, since you can just program a bunch of frequencies into it and cycle through until you receive something. Unfortunately the process of programming the radio is a huge pain. The reason there's very little on the test applicable to the use of any given radio is that they all have their own user interfaces and the Baofeng's is, uh, obtuse.

If you haven't seen it already, a programming cable and the free CHIRP software makes programming Baofengs quite pleasant...at least compared to the menu structure on the radios.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

alnilam posted:

Ham is fun and i agree that just studying the question bank is the way to go. It's dumb that they require you know anything other than policy and operating procedure / etiquette. I don't have to be able to build a radio to use one

Precisely. And again, it's not just that, but 99% of the required knowledge having 0% relevence to the operation of the thing. I really have to wonder who picked the questions.

poeticoddity posted:

If you haven't seen it already, a programming cable and the free CHIRP software makes programming Baofengs quite pleasant...at least compared to the menu structure on the radios.

Yarr, mine came with the cable.

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 23:57 on May 7, 2021

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

N'thing the ham test BS. I did a course in Canada and at no point did they actually show how to use a radio. Just endlessly reading out a bunch of slides to memorize hundreds of random questions about electronics components and the order of parts to hook up (without actually showing how to do it). All theoretical and no practical.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

first spring as an OR resident and I just realized I missed the controlled elk hunt and deer hunt deadlines. Although I don't even know where I would go.

In OR, everything east of the Cascades, which is all desert, is all controlled hunts. Like you have to apply for a specific area etc. From the cascade ridge west, it's all general season tags, so at least I can still do that. There's a spot in the coastal range where I've found elk sign before so I might try that. But desert hunt would have been cool to try and probably higher success rate.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

alnilam posted:

first spring as an OR resident and I just realized I missed the controlled elk hunt and deer hunt deadlines. Although I don't even know where I would go.

In OR, everything east of the Cascades, which is all desert, is all controlled hunts. Like you have to apply for a specific area etc. From the cascade ridge west, it's all general season tags, so at least I can still do that. There's a spot in the coastal range where I've found elk sign before so I might try that. But desert hunt would have been cool to try and probably higher success rate.

I will annoy you next year so you don't forget. I applied to a unit with like 5 min of research for deer and for elk and antelope I just bought points.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Just to be clear, did I actually miss the deadline, or do I have it backwards and it opened on the 15th?

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

alnilam posted:

Just to be clear, did I actually miss the deadline, or do I have it backwards and it opened on the 15th?

I deleted their reminder emails already but I'm 99.9% sure the 15th was the deadline to apply. They don't draw the tags till like mid June though I believe. I know it didn't open on the 15th because I applied April 30.

fake edit, this is from my receipt:

"Application period: December 1 - May 15. Results available by June 20."

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Ah well, still think I'll try for coast elk this year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

alnilam posted:

Ah well, still think I'll try for coast elk this year

Now I'm just picturing elk sunbathing on the beach on cute towels

Find one that's having a bbq, that's the one you oughta shoot for irony points.