Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«252 »
stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.

Jesus, Gimpsuit.

Even if you didn't fire a shot, you still got to walk around in that scenery. If hunting was like that in the east/midwest of the US, I'd be out there every weekend.

Also, I just played shepherd for an event at a farm where I had to watch healthy middle aged adults agonize over whether they should walk 3/4 of a mile to the scenic railroad depot or take a shuttle bus. Not shocked your fat American couldn't walk three hours.

Does anyone know anyplace near Cleveland (within 2 hours' drive) that I can take a nice walk through some scrub and maybe take a shot or two at some small game? I think everything is too densely populated around here (by which I mean east of the Mississippi) for an experience like that. I like the concept of a hike where some hunting might also happen, as opposed to sitting out in a blind or treestand.

I'm looking for the small mammal and rifle version of grouse hunting, basically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

stealie72 posted:

I'm looking for the small mammal and rifle version of grouse hunting, basically.

Pheasant on farmland hedgerows?
edit: wait, what do you mean by "rifle version of grouse hunting"?

Gimpsuit, your pictures make me increasingly think "Troll Hunter".

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.

Fog Tripper posted:

Pheasant on farmland hedgerows?
edit: wait, what do you mean by "rifle version of grouse hunting"?

I mean a nice walk with occasional opportunities to shoot something. As opposed to sitting in a treestand or blind.

I imagine a lot of rocky mountain hunting is like this. I may be imaging incorrectly.

vvv That's what I'm thinking, but I'm not sure where one finds larger expanses of land to do this in the midwest/great lakes region. We've got public hunting lands, but they seem so small. Am I just underestimating the size of 1000 acres? vvv

stealie72 fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Apr 12, 2012

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

What are you lookin at...

Any sort of small game hunting, pretty much?

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.

gimpsuitjones posted:

Stalked the bush edge of these flats in the evening, heaaaaps of sign but only one doe.

Steele Creek Hut

RAINBOW

Mid-Greenstone Hut

http://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...rHOAs8Q5I#t=44s
Not gonna lie, this is all I can think of when you post pictures of scenery.

Oh god I'm sorry, I'm sure you're sick of people saying poo poo like that but I just can't help it.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

They're taking the hobbits to Isengard!

The Pigeon
Feb 8, 2008

I have nothing to say here.

College Slice

stealie72 posted:

I mean a nice walk with occasional opportunities to shoot something. As opposed to sitting in a treestand or blind.

I imagine a lot of rocky mountain hunting is like this. I may be imaging incorrectly.

vvv That's what I'm thinking, but I'm not sure where one finds larger expanses of land to do this in the midwest/great lakes region. We've got public hunting lands, but they seem so small. Am I just underestimating the size of 1000 acres? vvv

1000 acres is pretty big. If it isnt over hunted, you could walk around all day in that amount of land and likely see quite a bit of wildlife. In the White Mountains of Airzona, I have hunted quail in 300 acres the better part of a day and not even come close to flushing them all out. (Of course quail fly from nearby spot to spot usually in large circles)

Execu-speak
Jun 2, 2011

Welcome to the real world hippies!

Cool thread, I haven't been hunting since last year in Feb when I went to NSW and shot me some hog. You guys make me want to get something organised again. It's a pity that unless you know someone with land, getting out to hunt in Australia is such a maze of bullshit and red tape.

Also I forget who asked but a Mosin is plenty of rifle for a hog, I've taken quite a few up to 75ish yards with my M44 in years gone past. Next time I go though I think I'll take the Winchester 91 I picked up a couple months back.

GEEKABALL
May 30, 2011

Throw out your hands!!
Stick out your tush!!
Hands on your hips
Give them a push!!

Fun Shoe

The Pigeon posted:

... In the White Mountains of Airzona...

Is that a public hunting area? It would be cool to hunt quail in Arizona.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

GEEKABALL posted:

Is that a public hunting area? It would be cool to hunt quail in Arizona.

IIRC, much is reservation land. (I could be quite wrong)

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves

You eluded me this morning, drat you, but I'll be back by sundown

Turkey season opened today at home. Went to the farm last night and fished for a bit, then stayed the night at my uncle's cabin and got up early this morning. Was in position an listening to the tom's calling to each other from the ridgetops...right up until some jackass decided that today was a good day to make his crew earn some overtime. Heavy equipment fired up around 7:00, about a half hour after sunup, a ridgeline or two away, and I never heard another bird.

Haven't checked my trail cam in a while, and it's been in the same position for a month or two now, but this thing has been back I spotted some fur-heavy scat on the road that I couldn't identify, and wondered if it's his. I'm gonna move the camera this evening and see if I can get some shots of his face, he's always moving in the same direction when I get pics of him. Is this a huge fox or some kind of red coyote or chupathingy or what?

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

That looks like it's bigger than a fox but slightly different color than a coyote* so I'm going to go with chupacabra. It's the only reasonable explanation.

This thread is making me miss living in a place with actual woods. Even if just to walk around with a rifle pretending like I'm going to sneak up on something and shoot it. I've never actually tried to hunt anything. When I lived back east everybody there shot everything that moved so there was never a shortage of game to eat for dinner at friends of families houses.

*I've only seen either in pictures so I could be looking at a moose and not know it.

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet

Looks like a small coyote, that's not a very unusual color

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves

Tubgirl Cosplay posted:

Looks like a small coyote, that's not a very unusual color

Well, then, gently caress that guy. <> Shoot him too. Thought he was all cool looking and poo poo. We never had to worry about them when we had the Pyrenees out there. I miss the Pyrenees.

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

B4Ctom1 posted:

I hope they throw the book at these assholes
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/03/3...in-thrill-kill/

I don't get some of the things people do. That reminds me of the stories of guys riding through the midwest on trains in the 1800s and shooting whatever animals they saw .

And then there's this rear end in a top hat:

http://www.startribune.com/local/135578448.html

"Durr, I hunted someone else's caged deer. Look at that rack!"

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Incredulous Red posted:

http://www.startribune.com/local/135578448.html

"Durr, I hunted someone else's caged deer. Look at that rack!"

quote:

"This obviously was livestock, a penned deer, and it would be akin to horse thievery,'' Johnson said. "This was not hunting, it was stealing.''

Do they still hang folks for this?

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

Fog Tripper posted:

Do they still hang folks for this?

I just don't get where the trophy is in this. You put no effort in. You didn't stalk or ambush. You didn't hold off on other shots waiting for this right one. You cut a fence and shot a caged loving deer.

Atticus_1354
Dec 9, 2006

Don't you go near that dog, you understand? Don't go near him, he's just as dangerous dead as alive.

Incredulous Red posted:

I just don't get where the trophy is in this. You put no effort in. You didn't stalk or ambush. You didn't hold off on other shots waiting for this right one. You cut a fence and shot a caged loving deer.

Probably so he could show it to his buddies and tell them how awesome he is. Beyond that we probably shouldn't start the high fence debate since it is usually based on emotion only.

Ferris Bueller
May 12, 2001

"It is his fault he didn't lock the garage."

Atticus_1354 posted:

Probably so he could show it to his buddies and tell them how awesome he is. Beyond that we probably shouldn't start the high fence debate since it is usually based on emotion only.

What do you think high fencing is about? So you can show "the trophy," to your buddies and tell them how awesome you are. There's a reason B&C and P&Y keep that stuff out of the trophy books.

Atticus_1354
Dec 9, 2006

Don't you go near that dog, you understand? Don't go near him, he's just as dangerous dead as alive.

Ferris Bueller posted:

What do you think high fencing is about? So you can show "the trophy," to your buddies and tell them how awesome you are. There's a reason B&C and P&Y keep that stuff out of the trophy books.

Please lets keep it out of this thread. I never said I agreed with it. It just ends up being an emotional argument that degrades the quality of the thread.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

On a slightly related note, I don't really understand trophy hunting. I hunt for the experience and for the meat. Collecting slightly larger heads has no interest for me, it seems like adding meaningless human competitiveness to what is an individual pursuit.

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

gimpsuitjones posted:

adding meaningless human competitiveness
that's pretty much it.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Buglord

It is weird, but then people are really interested in how big of a fish they catch, also. Sucks for deer that they have an easily measurable trophy.

Atticus_1354
Dec 9, 2006

Around my dads place we have tons of Axis deer that have large racks and lots of meat and you can hunt them year round. But people instead go for the whitetail and pay a premium for the whitetail. I even met a guy who shoots Axis to feed his dogs, but will only eat whitetail. I just want to shoot a big axis so that I can get the head mounted for my wall. Other then that I will take whichever wants to walk in front of me and turn in to my dinner.

Also, the whitetail must be small because they are breeding with the racoons.

Atticus_1354 fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Apr 15, 2012

Ferris Bueller
May 12, 2001

"It is his fault he didn't lock the garage."

I'm sure Axis meat is discernible from Whitetail, but I'm with you both look tasty on a plate.

EDIT:

gimpsuitjones posted:

On a slightly related note, I don't really understand trophy hunting. I hunt for the experience and for the meat. Collecting slightly larger heads has no interest for me, it seems like adding meaningless human competitiveness to what is an individual pursuit.

To me this is why you should have a "trophy" mounted. Someone somewhere has one bigger, but that doesn't bother me. I want to look at the mount and remember the hunt, and having a physical reminder of that particular hunt would/will keep the details fresh for my lifetime.

Ferris Bueller fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Apr 16, 2012

Atticus_1354
Dec 9, 2006

Ferris Bueller posted:

I'm sure Axis meat is discernible from Whitetail, but I'm with you both look tasty on a plate.

Yeah, fat axis are way better than scrawny whitetail.

Kennebago
Nov 12, 2007

van de schande is bevrijd
hij die met walkuren rijd

The Sphinxster posted:

It is weird, but then people are really interested in how big of a fish they catch, also. Sucks for deer that they have an easily measurable trophy.

I don't get fish trophies either, especially for fly fishermen who go after stocked fish. I mean catching fish on a fly rod is a lot of fun but you're not communing with nature spirits by hooking some farmed rainbows the DEC truck dropped off yesterday.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Bigger fish = more meat.

If you don't get the whole "I killed a bigger thing than you did" mentality, you're obviously not a Real Man.

*whips out tape measure*

Yep. Still three-and-half. Hard.

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves

Well, with fishing, bigger fish usually means harder to catch, too, and not just from a luck standpoint. Depending on your tackle setup at the time, the skill of the fisherman plays a big part in landing a trophy fish, and it can take a really long time to bring in a big fish on light weight line.

Also, the stocked trout thing kills me. There's a small stream a couple hundred yards from my house that's consistently rated as one of the best trout streams in the state, so much so that they recently got state funds to build a handicap-vehicle accessible fishing pier. In a stream that only has trout when they release them from the stock truck.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

New TH video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGcb8LAYyko

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

Lessons in Varmintology: This afternoon I learned that 155gr .308 JSP may be a bit... overkill for a red fox.

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

Uncle Caveman posted:

Lessons in Varmintology: This afternoon I learned that 155gr .308 JSP may be a bit... overkill for a red fox.

Yeah, Fox are surprisingly light animals, you can shoot them with .30 cal whatever big game rounds but don't expect much to be left when you do. A coyote would fair better, but even then its kind of overkill. It's one of the major reasons people have specific varminting setups vs just a big game gun for everything. Plus, having more guns is awesome.

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

Yup - I was sitting on the porch when I noticed the fox down near the pond (unusual because this was midday and they're usually clever enough to stay out of sight). They are extremely widespread in Virginia and will make a terrible mess of your barn. I only used the .308 because 1) I don't currently have a scope on my AR, and 2) it was what I had in the house at the time.

and the results (linked for guts): http://i.imgur.com/Anurx.jpg

Now that I have a Ruger Scout for medium-range .308 use I want to go ahead and rebarrel the Vanguard in .260 Rem.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

YES DO IT

Also send me your Ruger scout, I really want one, I love the idea of that style of sights on a bolt action. I'd get smaller mags (5rd AICS) and a light fibreglass stock for it of course, and ditch the awful muzzle device.

At that range you should have head-shot it! and kept the skin.

Atticus_1354
Dec 9, 2006

gimpsuitjones posted:

At that range you should have head-shot it! and kept the skin.

I was just thinking how I would love to have that fur.

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

If I were a better rifle shot maybe I could have. It really made it clear to me that I am woefully deficient in the fundamentals of shooting beyond 100yd.

vvv about 230yd

Uncle Caveman fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Apr 19, 2012

Atticus_1354
Dec 9, 2006

Uncle Caveman posted:

If I were a better rifle shot maybe I could have. It really made it clear to me that I am woefully deficient in the fundamentals of shooting beyond 100yd.

How far is the pond from your deck?

Bedbouncer
Apr 9, 2008

with the bird I'll share this lonely view

Imalloutofideas posted:

I mean, it's an obvious connection but I learned from my dad in southern Georgia, and we just took dogs, some rope, and knives. The dogs would corner the hog, one of us would jump on and wrestle/tie it, and then use the knife to kill it.

All'us Yankees who've seen "Deliverance" suspect you left out part of the process. Unless it was included in "wrestling" step.

I keep picturing Porky Pig with a switchblade yelling "Back off, dawg! I'll cut you!"

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Bedbouncer posted:

I keep picturing Porky Pig with a switchblade yelling "Be-be-be-back off, da-da-daww da-da-daww da-da-homie! I'll cut you!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

Imalloutofideas posted:

That thread is mostly traditional bows. I was hoping for more of a compound bow thread.

I'm catching up on the thread, I have been bow hunting for a couple years and recently got into doing tech work on bows. If you have any questions post them in that thread. Its mostly recurve talk so we need more compound discussions.

«252 »