Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Soaking the beans overnight considerably speeds up the cooking process. I can crank out a batch of chickpeas (soaked) in 12 minutes at full pressure. When unsoaked, it takes closer to 45 minutes (with quick release).

I recently bought a Hawkins hard anodised 5-litre model: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000GR7776

I love it! It seems to hold the heat much better. Unfortunately, it's not nearly as loud as my Presto, so I need to be in the vicinity for when it hits full pressure. With my Presto, I can shut the door to my room, and still hear that fucker hit full pressure, because it's LOUD.

@Steve Yun: That's awesome that you've used and mastered the pressure cooker! The reason to allow the pressure to come down on its own is to save fuel or heat. For example, if you want to cook beans (after soaking) with as little fuel as possible, you set the soaked beans into the cooker, add the smallest amount of water you can get away with (since the beans are soaked, they only need a cm or two of water above the beans line), then put on the lid, the weight, and the whole shebang.

Hit it with highest heat, and let it come up to pressure. Cook it for about three minutes at medium low heat (the weight will still jiggle a bit). Turn off the heat completely. Let the pressure come down by itself. The beans will be cooked through! This saves your fuel by not having to cook it the full 10 minutes. Mind you, it takes longer with regards to the actual waiting, but if your apartment is hot, or you live in an area where fuel is very expensive, you want to minimise your actual fuel use time as much as humanly possible.

When doing potatoes in this method, let the whole potatoes come up to full pressure, then cook at medium low for 1 minute. Turn off the heat, let it come down on its own. Cooked potatoes are yours! This saves fuel when you consider that a full pot of potatoes will take about 5 minutes at full pressure if you quick-release.

It's also a matter of keeping the food piping hot, while you prepare the other components. If I were doing the traditional method of making daal, I'd set a pot of beans (or pulses, as the case may be) onto one burner, on high heat. Then, I'd immediately start chopping the veg (onions, ginger, garlic, herbs, tomatoes) for my tarka (spice blend that goes into the cooked beans). Then, while the beans boil, I'd start making my tarka. Add the fat, let it heat, add my spices, add my aromatics, cook down the tomatoes, etc.

With the pressure cooker, I can set the beans to boil a couple of hours ahead of time (as I normally would). I let it go through the cycle. I DO NOT QUICK RELEASE. I'd make my tarka as normal. Then, I go and have a shower, and clean up after myself (not in that order; I'd obviously shower at the end). Then, I change into fresh clothes. By this point, the pressure will have come down. I pop open the lid of the pressure cooker, to see piping hot beans, that have maintained their heat. I stir through the tarka, bring it to the table, and serve it with piping hot rice (that I made in my rice cooker), along with chopped fresh veggies (tomatoes, cucumber, onions, cilantro, thai chiles, limes), and hot spicy pickle. If I feel like the meal could use a little more something, I can knock up a spinach subzi in about five minutes flat. All of a sudden, I've got a complete meal ready, and I don't look all gross and sweaty from cooking in the kitchen, and my apartment isn't screaming hot, because it's had time to cool down from when I turned off the heat from the pressure cooker.

The point is that once you start looking at the functions of the pressure cooker as features, instead of hurdles, you start to adjust your schedule to make use of it as efficiently as possible. It's how my grandma, aunts, uncles, and sister-in-law all do their pressure cooking. You generally see Indians use their pressure cookers in this manner, because it means efficient use of heat, rather than extreme speed. Mind you, when it's an emergency, we'll use the quick release. However, as many Indian meals take a bit of planning anyway, we tend to take the long view.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
dino, that pressure cooker you linked says "only 18 left in stock" and also seems to have a preternaturally low price. Is that a good deal? Woot is selling some too and I'm trying to figure out if I should jump on your Hawkins one while there are still some left, grab one from Woot, buy one somewhere else, or just be patient and start trolling thrift stores constantly.

Also note that choosing between posting this here or in the product recommendation thread was one of the hardest choices I have ever made in the last 15 minutes.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
The Hawkins is the brand that pretty much everyone in India trusts. It's what's included in your bridal trousseau. It's the pressure cooker that your mum and gran both used, and the one you saw in all your aunt's homes. It's the one that you trust with everything. You own one very large one, for massive festive meals, a small one for quick daals or rice, and one in the 5 litre size I linked for every day use. And like you said, the price is freakishly low.

The one I linked is also very heavy bottomed, and prevents sticking rather well. It is a rather good price for what it is: hard anodised pressure cooker of doom.

Rule .303
Dec 9, 2011
(Instructions are just some other guy's opinion)

EVG posted:

Is soaking the beans overnight still necessary since you are using the pressure cooker?

I soak beans for 24 hours to try to break down some of the indigestible sugars and starches that make me fart. You can cook them dry too, it is up to you.

A lot of questions are if it is ok to run cold water over the lid. My cookbooks say not to do it since it could warp the lid and make it not seal right. However it also says you can cool it down by putting it in a sink full of cold water to reduce the pressure sooner.

Some of the flavor you are missing is the browning or carmelization (I was told it was called "catching" in that you want your meat to "catch" a bit when cooking it for stews to brown the sauce) and you can pre-sear or pre-sweat everything to get the extra flavor.

particle409
Jan 15, 2008

Thou bootless clapper-clawed varlot!

EVG posted:

Is soaking the beans overnight still necessary since you are using the pressure cooker?

I made the chili at the last minute and didn't have time to soak either the red or black beans. I followed the recipe and some of the beans were definitely not cooked enough, so I pressure cooked the chili for a few more minutes at full pressure. They were fine after that, but I'd still recommend soaking them beforehand, because you're cooking them will the rest of the chili, not alone.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Rule 303: I hope you're discarding the soaking liquid too! If you want to avoid farts, use cumin, fennel, coriander, fenugreek, and turmeric along with the beans. Not only is it hella delicious, it helps cut back on the gas, apparently.

If your pressure cooker can't take a little water over its lid, it's really not that great a model. Even the lightest cookers I've seen (all Presto) can stand up to a quick cool method.

Rule .303
Dec 9, 2011
(Instructions are just some other guy's opinion)

dino. posted:

Rule 303: I hope you're discarding the soaking liquid too! If you want to avoid farts, use cumin, fennel, coriander, fenugreek, and turmeric along with the beans. Not only is it hella delicious, it helps cut back on the gas, apparently.

If your pressure cooker can't take a little water over its lid, it's really not that great a model. Even the lightest cookers I've seen (all Presto) can stand up to a quick cool method.

Oooh. All the spices I don't eat. I may have to invest in Beano(tm)

Personally I have fun flicking water on the lid to watch it hiss off immediately. I have prestos and mirros.

Oh, by the way, you now own a pressure cooker. Go buy a spare seal now. If a seal blows out when you need it you have an immediate replacement.

The Baumer
Oct 22, 2008
If you can find it, epazote is supposed to make you less farty too.

icehewk
Jul 7, 2003

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
I'd like to make a beef roast, but it has a huge shoulder blade running through it. Typically bourguignon calls for an hour of cubed meat to break down. Should I just debone as best as possible? Also, should I sautee the vegetables separately and then throw them in with about 20 minutes left to go?

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.

dino. posted:

I recently bought a Hawkins hard anodised 5-litre model: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000GR7776

All of the indian food I've been cooking over the last few months is starting to convince me that I need a pressure cooker (if only to use all of the recipes I find online without having to wonder "How many more hours is this going to take on the stove?!")

I have very little spare storage or counter space, so I was looking at this one which is an inexpensive, highly rated on Amazon, 2-liter Hawkins cooker.

Is that big enough for most applications? Generally I'm the only one who will eat the dals I make, but I like to make a big portion so I can eat it for lunch throughout the week. Hard to convert that to liters in my head though.

If the fancy Futura one you linked is really the bees knees and the larger size is worth it, I don't mind shelling out the extra $10 for that one - just don't want to dedicate an unnecessary amount of storage space I can't afford to spare if the two liter version will work for most recipes.

Also if the anodized version is easier to clean. :)

My husband is leaning towards this one: http://www.amazon.com/Fagor-670040230-Stainless-Steel-6-Quart-Multi-Cooker/dp/B001A62O1G

Significantly more expensive, but would let us replace our rice cooker and crock pot as well. Any feedback?

EVG fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Sep 3, 2012

Zuph
Jul 24, 2003
Zupht0r 6000 Turbo Type-R

EVG posted:

My husband is leaning towards this one: http://www.amazon.com/Fagor-670040230-Stainless-Steel-6-Quart-Multi-Cooker/dp/B001A62O1G

Significantly more expensive, but would let us replace our rice cooker and crock pot as well. Any feedback?

Electric pressure cookers don't generate as much pressure as stovetop models (for comparison, my really, really cheap pressure cooker makes 12 lbs of pressure, while this one only make 9 lbs max), and there's a lot more stuff that can break.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

EVG posted:

Also if the anodized version is easier to clean. :)

If you're looking to have something on hand that can knock up food really easily (dump food in, set timer, walk away), then the electric model is ideal. I've been using it at work for about a year now, and it always knocks up a perfect pot of beans.

The 2 litre models are way too small. Bear in mind that if you use the conversion of 1 litre to 1 quart (because they're more or less 1 to 1 conversion), you'll have roughly 8 cups of total space in that cooker. You cannot use the last 1/3 of the pressure cooker, because it needs space to build pressure in. So out of 8 cups, you're losing 2 1/2 cups or so, leaving you with roughly 5.5 cups. Of that, you can only cook a cup or so of beans. Why? Because for each cup, you should realistically put in 4 cups of water, to give enough water to absorb, evaporate, and have enough liquid so that your beans don't cook unevenly. You'll have enough for /one/ serving.

The only reason housewives in India buy it is to make 1 or 2 servings of beans for something that only requires a tiny amount (like when you make Sambhar, you only /need/ like a 1/2 cup of beans).

I enjoy using the electric model, because it's hella convenient, but for sheer speed, I prefer my Futura and my Presto. Both of them reach full heat much more quickly than the electric jobby, because I have a gas stove, which gets the pressure cooker hot wicked fast. BUT! If you're talking sheer convenience, the Fagor electric is your best bet. For one thing, you only need clean the little insert pot and the lid.

For another, it's literally set it and forget it until it's done. You can start it on the "Browning" setting, pop your spices, brown your onions, then add the dry beans, water, get the water to the boil, then switch to the pressure cooking cycle. Then, set the timer for like 20 minutes (if using unsoaked beans) or 9 minutes (for soaked beans), and let 'er rip. Come back when the thing beeps (it takes a few minutes to come up to heat, but that's the same situation as the stove-top models), and release the pressure with the quick-release. Use a towel over the hole to prevent any splattering.

Then, throw in some brown rice, hit the rice setting, and go away again. Have perfectly done rice. Pull it out, clean off your pot, and boil up some beans in the slow cooker setting for the next day. :)

Personally, I have plenty of /storage/ space in my kitchen, but my counter top is the size of my cutting board. So I can't have many appliances, since there's no space for them. For me, the stove top model is ideal. If you have the counter space, and can then get rid of the slow cooker and rice cooker in favour of the 3-in-one Fagor, I'd suggest getting it. I'd have done the same but for my kitchen situation. The one you linked is the exact model I recommend to my friends who are shopping around.

RavenousElegance
Jun 13, 2012

Anyone tried making oxtails in a pressure cooker?? I have a cuisinart electric one that I've *never* used... and oxtails in the freezer that I probably should make sometime soon...

Looking for tips/hints... and you know, a recipe someone swears by...

Death of Rats
Oct 2, 2005

SQUEAK

RavenousElegance posted:

Anyone tried making oxtails in a pressure cooker?? I have a cuisinart electric one that I've *never* used... and oxtails in the freezer that I probably should make sometime soon...

I wouldn't swear by it, but:

Brown the oxtails on all sides.
Reserve, and fry some diced onions/celery/carrots and some garlic.
Pop the meat back in, and add some cooking liquid (wine/beer/stock/something else), about 250ml, maybe a little more.
Add some herbs (bay, thyme, oregano is good, but you can pretty much use anything).
Cook under pressure for ~20 minutes, quickly release pressure, check liquid levels and turn over the oxtails (assuming they aren't fully covered by the cooking liquid). If you want to add potatoes or root veg or something, do it here.
Back under pressure for another ~20 minutes.
Chop some mushrooms.
Once the meat is cooked, remove from the liquid, stick the mushrooms in, and boil until sufficiently reduced. Eat.

EDIT:
If you're hungry and only have slow-cooker meat in the freezer, you can defrost meat in the pressure cooker by sticking it in some cooking liquid, allowing to reach pressure and then either taking it out after 10 mins and chopping/frying (then putting it back in), or taking it out after 30-40 mins and shredding/grilling or chopping/frying (then serve with reduced cooking liquid).

Death of Rats fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Sep 5, 2012

RavenousElegance
Jun 13, 2012

Death of Rats posted:

I wouldn't swear by it, but:

Brown the oxtails on all sides.
Reserve, and fry some diced onions/celery/carrots and some garlic.
Pop the meat back in, and add some cooking liquid (wine/beer/stock/something else), about 250ml, maybe a little more.
Add some herbs (bay, thyme, oregano is good, but you can pretty much use anything).
Cook under pressure for ~20 minutes, quickly release pressure, check liquid levels and turn over the oxtails (assuming they aren't fully covered by the cooking liquid). If you want to add potatoes or root veg or something, do it here.
Back under pressure for another ~20 minutes.
Chop some mushrooms.
Once the meat is cooked, remove from the liquid, stick the mushrooms in, and boil until sufficiently reduced. Eat.

EDIT:
If you're hungry and only have slow-cooker meat in the freezer, you can defrost meat in the pressure cooker by sticking it in some cooking liquid, allowing to reach pressure and then either taking it out after 10 mins and chopping/frying (then putting it back in), or taking it out after 30-40 mins and shredding/grilling or chopping/frying (then serve with reduced cooking liquid).

Well that looks easy enough :) Thanks!!

Ktb
Feb 24, 2006

For using dry beans/peas in the pressure cooker, I have had nothing but success with the quick-soak method described here. It only takes a couple of minutes and because you discard the water from the first pressure soak it helps reduce gassiness. I use this method to make hummus quickly and it works beautifully.

Also if you need the beans/peas to be even softer you can soak them in a bicarb solution for 20mins or so before putting them in the pressure cooker.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

RavenousElegance posted:

90% of what I use my pressure cooker for is braising tough meats in a short amount of time. I posted a thread about lamb shank a while back, but did an osso bucco recently, and have done oxtail and goat within the last month or two.

it's easy as gently caress and you basically can't go wrong. if you know what you're doing, you can season and prep everything in the right order, do a quick-cooldown mid braise, and finish a stew that normally would take 4-6 hours in about 1.5.

if you don't know what you're doing, you still basically can't go wrong. just season and brown your meat, pop it in the pressure cooker with stock to barely cover and whatever aromatics/herbs/spices you feel like, let it go for an hour and a half, quickcool, and then correct all your seasoning / make it delicious. you can even just take the meat out of the stock and use it for another purpose - IE making ravioli or a pasta sauce or something.

I really love pressure cookers! (this from a guy who loving hates crockpots)

Chuck Biscuits
Dec 5, 2004

I made some of the best carnitas I've ever had the other day by heavily browning large chunks of pork shoulder and then cooking under pressure with chicken stock, an onion, a cinnamon stick and a bay leaf for 30 minutes. Take half of the cooking liquid and add orange juice, cumin and chile powder and reduce to a glaze. Toss meat with the glaze and broil for 15 minutes, turning the meat several times so that it gets nice and crispy and dark brown on the outside.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

You can probably skip the chicken stock.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Chemmy posted:

You can probably skip the chicken stock.

it's pretty much an unspoken law that the only liquid that can go into a pressure cooker is meat broth

; )

the last signal...
Apr 16, 2009
This thread has convinced me to purchase a pressure cooker! What do you guys recommend? Electric or no? Any particular models?

I mostly want to use it to cook beans quickly, and it's meals for just me (though preferably I would like to make decent portions that will leave me with lots of leftovers).

I don't mind dropping a little more for a nicer model if this is something I'll be using a whole lot. Can anyone recommend me something?

Armitage_Shanks
May 16, 2004

Fear the aVICtar.
Things I've done in a pressure cooker:
45min Beef Bourguignon
45min Coq au Vin (needs work)
45min Chicken Stock
45min Goulash
25min Roast Chicken (you crisp it in the oven after.. its interesting not perfect)
15min Chicken and Chorizo Paella
45min Chili (acceptable but these days I usually use the pressure cooker solely for the Beef shoulder chunks for the same amount of time and break them up after).
25min tomato soup (using aforementioned chicken stock)
17min rice (better than the rice cooker)
1hr Beef pot roast
1hr Corned Beef Brisket
15min Bolaganese (not quite as good as a 5hr traditional but way better than a 15min jar a meat job)
25min Ribs (seared first.. crazy good)
and a cup of tea (don't do this!)

I've also used it as a parboil for potatoes for roasting and chipping. It is particularly amazing if you want thick "jenga" chips. 5 min steam on pressure, 5min 120c fry, 3min 170c fry. Crisp on the outside fluffy on the inside.

Method/Recipes available on request.

General top tip:
If you've a pressure cooker you need an induction hob (if your pressure cooker will work with it). Combine the both for stupid energy savings. You may need to adjust cooking time on some (bad) recipes to counter the fact you've got pressure in about 20% of the time you normally would.

The difference between pressuring on a ceramic hob to an induction is unbelievable. As I've only the one induction hob occasionally I got it doing double duty and I'll pressure on the induction and move to a ceramic... only to watch the pressure drop and take another 5 minutes on a hot ceramic to come back to full pressure.

I mentioned rice above. Check out the top of the range South Korean rice cookers. They are all combination induction/pressure cookers and cost upwards of 350 euro.

infiniteguest posted:

http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/caramelized-carrot-soup

This is an example of some refined technique using a pressure cooker. Used properly you can actually make some serious food with them.

This recipe blew my mind. General rule (based on the users manual which you are always meant to follow) is that nothing less than 300ml of liquid must be in the pressure cooker. This recipe works on using the liquid in 80gm of butter to make pressure! I had to substitute carrot juice with chicken stock (it's a soup I figure whatever) but it tasted like a big bowl of caramels. Crazy.

the last signal... posted:

I don't mind dropping a little more for a nicer model if this is something I'll be using a whole lot. Can anyone recommend me something?

I've a WMF. Not this version but I can't find what I have on their site. My housemate managed to drop and break the handle so it was great to be able to get spares easily. Of course the spare cost about the same as a new cooker from another manufacture but still. One of the major advantages was it worked with induction (see above). My version pressured at 13PSI so watch out for recipes you might need to add a few minutes.

Armitage_Shanks fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Oct 24, 2012

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
For those familiar with Cuban dishes, I saw the black beans in an earlier post, ropa vieja and carne con papas which is a Cuban beef stew are both dishes primarily cooked in the pressure cooker.

Ropa vieja uses flank steak and the stew meat for the beef stew can be really tough depending the cut you get.

My mom has always used the pressure cooker with most of those meals including everything involving beans because it softens them so well and quickly without having to let them soak overnight.

Personally I was always afraid of the thing blowing up and when we use ours at home my wife and I both avoid being even in the same room. The pressure cookers they made back in the day were heavy duty, now I am afraid of some imported poo poo manufactured by cutting corners for the least amount of money spent on quality materials. I have a good reason to be afraid.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.
What? Pressure cookers today are much safer than they were before. Pressure Cookers nowadays have locks to prevent them from being opened under pressure, valves to vent steam if you over-pressurize, etc. If you're worried about the materials they are made with, just buy one that is made from good materials. Don't buy garbage and you really have nothing to worry about. Maybe I'm just misunderstanding your stance.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
There are some very good pressure cookers available, I agree with you on that. Some of the less expensive and cheaply made cookers though I have seen are scary. I would always recommend spending the extra money on a quality pressure cooker avoiding the less expensive option. I had a co-worker who owned a cooker he bought at some bargain store and it was not something I would want to be around if it failed.

Flu Roo
Apr 13, 2010

I'm planning out a special meal for the girlfriend on her birthday, and I thought I'd drop by the pressure cooker thread to share use # 43247: When making pumpkin soup, rather than buying the puree or roasting it in the oven a day before, take your sliced up pumpkin parts, elevate them off the floor of the pressure cooker with a basket or something, and let er rip for 5-10 minutes. You can then use a potato masher to create your own fresh puree. Note that smaller pumpkins (I think they're called sugar pea) work best for eating. Make sure to remove seeds and muck first.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
I'm super interested in a beef bourguignon recipe if you can bear to share!

Armitage_Shanks
May 16, 2004

Fear the aVICtar.

tarepanda posted:

I'm super interested in a beef bourguignon recipe if you can bear to share!

Serves 4:

500ml Light/Medium drinkable French Red Wine (Pinot Noir is traditional I use Bourdeux as I'm cheap)
1kg Beef Shoulder (thats what the cut is called in Ireland.. cut names vary globally. Any fatty cheap stewing cut should do).
125g lardons (or fatty bacon cut into cubes)
5 medium onions
4 garlic cloves
5 medium carrots
300ml beef stock
1tsp mustard powder
1 Bouquet Garni (I use the pre-made teabag style ones for this)
1 Bay leaf
flour + butter in 1:1 ratio for roux for thickening (amount to taste but 75g of both is a good start)

A note on mushrooms and pearl onions: Traditional recipes have both of these things. I don't mainly because they're not easily available to me. Feel free to adapt accordingly but the amount of onions in this has been adjusted to account for no pearl onions so you might need to reduce by one or two.

Cube your meat in large chunks 1" at least sprinkle with salt and set aside.

Add a small amount of neutral high heat oil to a frying pan. Don't use a non stick pan, cast iron is best but stainless steel will do and if stuck you could use the pressure cooker pot but it's a bit awkward. Heat to high and add lardons. Fry till they're beginning to crisp. They'll have released a lot of fat. Sieve them into a bowl and pour the fat back into the pan.

Get the pan really hot (when fat starts to lightly smoke) and in batches sear the beef cubes until they're dark brown on each side (30secs ea side). Add oil if necessary (if they're burning not browning). Put in the bowl with the lardons. If there is any oil left pour it into the pressure cooker and use some of the wine to deglaze the pan (scrape off all the beef juice stuck to the pan to make a fond) and set aside the fond.

Chop onions roughly and put into the pressure cooker on medium low heat. Depending on how much fat you've in the pressure cooker you may need to add more oil for frying the onions (things shouldn't be sticking or burning). Get them soft but not carmelised. When they just start to change colour will be about right (10mins or so). Add crushed garlic cloves about 5mins in.

Peel carrots and chop in large chunks. Add to the pressure cooker pot. Add meat and lardons to the pot. Add your deglazed fond to the pot and add the rest of your wine. You can bring the heat up to full now. Add Beef stock. Add mustard powder, Bouquet Garni, and Bay Leaf. Mix everything well and get up to a boil before putting on the pressure cooker lid.

Pressure to full, reduce heat and mantain pressure. I cook this for 35mins and depressure with the quick release vent. As mentioned before I use a lower pressure model and induction so it might be worthwhile trying this at less first and repressuring if necessary if you use 15psi. It's done when the carrots are soft through and the meat is fall apart tender. It would be overdone if the carrots turned to mush. Big chunks are important to give them more stability while the meat softens.

Use the butter and flour to make a light roux (melt butter, add flour, whisk, cook. youtube it if you've not done it before) and thicken the dish to taste depending on what you are serving with. If you are going for pasta make it thicker. Less so for boiled potato. Mashed potato is the winner in my book and a more liquidy stew suits it best as the potato starch will thicken it as it is eaten.

A note on roux: Lots of other recipes for this dish will add flour either over the meat chunks or over the onions. You can try either method if you want to save time but adding the thickening before pressuring can lead to burning if you're not careful as the thicker liquid is harder to get up to a boil without sticking. Whatever you do don't just dump flour in at the end as you need to cook out the "floury" flavour hence using a roux.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I should've listened to Dino and bought the 8 quart cooker. My 6 quart cooker has a max fill line that only allows for 1 gallon of stuff to be put in...

Forgive me, Dino! I repent of my sins!

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Dec 12, 2012

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

dino. posted:

Oh come on now, being gassy is the whole fun behind eating beans!

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Sjurygg posted:

Got the Ikea pressure cooker, already used it for things like channa dal, ghormeh sabzi and boiling a shitton of chickpeas in 40 minutes flat for hummus. It makes a load of steam, but it was cheap, it's sturdy and it works. There's a min and a max mark in it - what's the purpose of the Min mark? Is it to ensure a proper volume of steam or whatever? I sometimes would like to make things like channa dal for just two and all that water seems a little wasteful to pour out, but whatever.

I got the same model for christmas, currently making some bean stew.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Righty-o, made a bean stew last night with whatever I had handy, used dried beans I only had in water for 30 minutes beforehand. Cooked it for an hour and found the beans still slightly hard, figured I'd put the pressure back on and cook another 20 minutes perhaps.

Not a good idea, for some reason after I had dropped the temp and stirred the thing around the contents which before had not stuck at all, started sticking to the bottom and pretty soon I smelled burnt food and a whole lot of the beans where black and sticking to the bottom. So that dinner was ruined and I spent hours scrubbing the pan clean (still not truly clean).

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Hahaha, yeah you probably stirred out all that starch and protein from the beans, so the cooking liquid reached that magical point of saturation where it will begin to stick and burn. Better luck next time bro (try chickpeas). Also prepare for more watery stews which will then need to simmer down after you take the pressure out.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I am thinking of red beans and rice today, I am considering making just the dried beans in the pressure cooker, then pouring them into the cast iron dutch oven (maybe my favorite cooking container) when it's done, then even if they aren't done completely, they will probably go the rest of the way in a normal pot.

Squidder
Mar 19, 2003

King of the Cat Tree

Oven Wrangler
I just got done making Mini Meatball Broth and it's delicious! I used pork instead of veal and it turned out great. I used the potatoes to make mashed potatoes for later, then cut up the rest of veg and re-added them to the soup at the end. Hooray soup in an hour! (probably less than that, I wasn't really keeping close track of time)

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

:trophystare:
I made doenjang jjigae, Korean soybean paste stew, in about 15 minutes. I started by making a broth with 1 quart of water, 6 dried anchovies with the heads and guts picked out, a quarter of an onion roughly chopped, a strip of dried salted seaweed, and 3 crushed cloves of garlic. I let this get up to pressure and then immediately released pressure. I poured the whole thing out into a strainer over a bowl, putting the strained broth back into the pot. Next I added whatever bits of vegetables I had in the fridge. A few roughly chopped cloves of garlic, a peeled and diced carrot, some sliced onion, a few diced mushrooms, and about a cup of roughly chopped cabbage. I seasoned the soup with 2 tablespoons ***doenjang***, 1 tablespoon Korean chili powder, and a tablespoon of soy sauce. I put the lid back on and let this get to pressure, then lowered heat and waited 3 minutes(I guessed at how long it would take to cook the carrot chunks and it was about right). I quick released again, opened the lid to taste for seasonings and drop in some diced tofu, sliced scallions, and a teaspoon of sesame seed oil. It's done when the tofu heats through which takes a couple of minutes.

When I make this again I will post a pic but it is a homey dish and not much to look at.

***Doenjang is the stuff that comes in the brown/tan tub next to the red gochujang tubs.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Steve Yun posted:

I should've listened to Dino and bought the 8 quart cooker. My 6 quart cooker has a max fill line that only allows for 1 gallon of stuff to be put in...

Forgive me, Dino! I repent of my sins!

Now you know!~ Just give away the 6 quart and go get a real pressure cooker. You won't regret it.

demonR6 posted:

Oh come on now, being gassy is the whole fun behind eating beans!
I mean, sure, if you think so. It's just that when you get that painful gas that feels like someone's stabbing you in the intestines with hot screaming knives, you take precautions to avoid getting it again. Apparently kombu helps prevent gassy beans too.

Luminous Cow
Nov 2, 2007

Well you know there should be no law
on people that want to smoke a little dope.
Well you know it's good for your head
And it relax your body don't you know.

:420:
I have about $40 dollars in credit at Amazon that I'm looking to spend, and pressure cookers have really caught my eye. My low budget requires lots of beans and rice with whatever veggies I can afford (also known as "what's on sale"), and I think the pressure cooker cutting down on my rice and bean cooking time would really help. I am only cooking for myself, but I like to cook large portions so I have a quick and easy meal ready to go if I need to rush or I am lazy. I have no idea what size to get. Is the 5 liter futura dino posted earlier enough? I'm probably going to get that and some pressure cook books.

EDIT: Whoever recommended the episode of Good Eats, drat you. I've never watched that show before, and now I want to watch all of them :argh:

Luminous Cow fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jan 12, 2013

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Luminous Cow posted:

I have about $40 dollars in credit at Amazon that I'm looking to spend, and pressure cookers have really caught my eye. My low budget requires lots of beans and rice with whatever veggies I can afford (also known as "what's on sale"), and I think the pressure cooker cutting down on my rice and bean cooking time would really help. I am only cooking for myself, but I like to cook large portions so I have a quick and easy meal ready to go if I need to rush or I am lazy. I have no idea what size to get. Is the 5 liter futura dino posted earlier enough? I'm probably going to get that and some pressure cook books.

EDIT: Whoever recommended the episode of Good Eats, drat you. I've never watched that show before, and now I want to watch all of them :argh:

http://www.amazon.com/Presto-8-Quart-Aluminum-Pressure-Cooker/dp/B00006ISG4/

Get the 8 qt. Steve just got done saying to get the 8 qt. Get it. Seriously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Luminous Cow posted:

Every single episode

http://www.youtube.com/user/GoodEatsComplete/videos?view=1&flow=grid

• Locked thread