Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Mango Polo posted:

Couple of months ago I received a Kuhn Rikon Duromatic (7 liters) pressure cooker as a gift, which I have yet to use. Probably because...

A) I never used one and they look scary
B) Reading up on the Kuhn Rikon, it requires different liquid levels than what most recipes calls for

I want to remedy that, but I'm curious how I should adapt the required liquids from recipes?

Use it, read the manual about the safety features so it will hopefully feel less dangerous. I thought mine would explode for the first few uses. I imagine everyone does.

I think the minimum liquid level can be flexed quite a bit. As long as there is more than enough liquid to come to pressure, it should be OK. I was worried about the same thing at first. After doing the caramelized carrot soup, which uses a bit of butter and the sweated out liquid from carrots, I am much braver with the liquid level. Pay attention to make sure it doesn't run out of liquid, especially when you are don't have a good feeling for how much is enough.

taqueso fucked around with this message at 19:39 on May 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Troll
Jan 15, 2012
Practice is the only real way.

For very short term cooking (rice, lentils, etc) I generally don't reduce by much. Like 10-15%. Long recipes depend a lot on what you are cooking, but anywhere from 25-50%. 50% is generally reserved for things like pork shoulder, which floods the pot with liquid as it breaks down. The evaporation rate is really low if you don't overshoot the maintenance temperature and vent a lot.

As taqueso said, the only serious risk is running out, so start safe and reduce as you gain experience.

• Locked thread