Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
amishbuttermaster
Apr 28, 2009
This is going to sounds like an infomercial but pressure cookers are pretty much every cook's best friend. Anything that you would normally do in a slow cooker/ dutch oven you can do in a fraction of the time in a pressure cooker.

Mine gets used most frequently for making stock. Throw your bones and vegetables in there, fill with water up to the line (make sure not to fill past that or it will never get to pressure), turn the heat on it till it gets to pressure, turn it down to maintain it and then let it sit on the stove for an hour. Perfectly clear stock.

I also really like to do dried beans. Rather than having to soak them overnight and then simmer on a stovetop for hours and hours you drop the beans in, fill with liquid and then do like the above for about an hour. This is really great for tougher beans like black beans. Getting tender Cuban black beans in an hour is a wonderful thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amishbuttermaster
Apr 28, 2009
Regardless of one's philosophy on chili, dried beans and legumes are an very useful source of inexpensive protein.

When it gets down to it a pressure cooker is the fast food method of slow cooking. Once you get something to pressure you have a 6 hour braise of tough cuts of meat or beans down to around an hour or so. If you have a long day at work you can prep a lot of meals in 15-20 minutes, throw it in the pressure cooker, take a nap for an hour and then have dinner.

amishbuttermaster
Apr 28, 2009
I pressured up some Cuban black beans. Dry to perfectly cooked and tender in under an hour. Not much to look at but, hey, they're beans.

amishbuttermaster
Apr 28, 2009

Cathab posted:

This looks excellent, got a recipe?

Also, I was under the impression that you still have to soak beans, or else they'll give you debilitating amounts of gas (even though they'll be cooked through properly). Is there any truth to this?

Sure. This one was a little different as I was attempting to use some leftovers.

1 lb dried black beans
2 small onions
1 head garlic
2 green peppers
3 poblano chiles
4 Anaheim chiles
2 lbs smoked ham
1 bone from aforementioned ham
1 small can tomato paste
1/4 cup white wine vinegar

Spices:
bay leaves
oregano
garlic powder
onion powder
smoked hot paprika
black pepper

Chop ham into small, bite size pieces and brown in pressure cooker. When done remove and add chopped onions, peppers and garlic. Cook until onions are translucent, add tomato paste and cook for another few minutes. Add ham back in, add black beans, add spices to taste. Add ham bone and cover with water to just under the line. Put on the lid and bring to pressure and then cook for about an hour or until beans are tender. When done, add vinegar. I generally like to put this in the fridge overnight to let everything come together before serving.

Now, this is an adapted recipe and usually Cuban black beans aren't going to have poblano and Anaheim chiles and it may or may not have something like ham. Usually I make it with bacon or salt pork if I can find it. I got the initial recipe from my now ex-girlfriend and how her family makes it in Cuba is going to be different from how the people next door or down the street makes it.

The benefit to using a pressure cooker is that you don't have to soak the beans at all. Whether or not this causes more of the compounds that give people gas I really don't know. I've never experienced any adverse reactions from this method.

amishbuttermaster
Apr 28, 2009

Solkanar512 posted:

dino or anyone else used to cooking beans and legumes in pressure cookers:

The reason I've avoided cooking dried beans and legumes is the fact that I need to soak them before hand. Can I, without significantly affecting taste/texture simply cook them longer at pressure and skip the soaking all together?

I'm more than happy to let it go for 30-40 minutes and not sit through a 4-8 hour soak + 10 minute cooking time.

I do dried black beans (which are notorious for taking forever otherwise) for 45 minutes to an hour and they always come out perfect. There's really no need to soak when you're using a pressure cooker.

• Locked thread