Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Basic Poster posted:

So a few months ago I started watching vids on n LW and was just entranced. To my chagrin I googled Tandy retail locations and the closest one was like 5 hours away.

Them the other day I did it again, and no idea he w I missed it but there is one 30 minutes away!!!

So I trotted down there, SUPER nice people working there, and handily it's in some sort of crafting district where within a block there are several art, fabric, wood, music supply stores...really great stuff and all adjacent. Lucky to know about it!

All I bought was three books and the free catalog. Hoping to have a Rona free leather working winter.

One question I had, mostly going to be into making bushcrafting stuff. Belts, slings, pouches, bags, sheaths, scabbards, holsters. My wife bought a bag that is a chrome tan product that I really like the look of, and I also liked this 4-6iz buffalo side Tandy had, but neither of these are 10-12oz veg. How disappointed am I setting myself up to be if I used a lighter buffalo or chrome for my purposes?

E: this is her bag

I don't know that non-veg leather is going to hold wet form the way you'd want it to when you do holsters/sheaths/etc. That's primarily what I've done with my LW thus far and it's been essential to have that form hold strong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

On Facebook
Good to know. I was thinking that weight because of Weaver leather YouTube guy said that was for holsters and such and below isnt moldable.

That could have been an expensive mistake! I'll be posting here more often.

Any thoughts on what the bag I posted is made from? I absolutely love the color and how it patinas

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008

Basic Poster posted:

Good to know. I was thinking that weight because of Weaver leather YouTube guy said that was for holsters and such and below isnt moldable.

That could have been an expensive mistake! I'll be posting here more often.

Any thoughts on what the bag I posted is made from? I absolutely love the color and how it patinas

Best guess for that bag is Pull Up leather, which Tandy calls Stoned Oil leather. This stuff:
https://tandyleather.com/products/stoned-oil-sides?variant=31977106866307

It's chrome tanned leather that's had extra oil worked into it. Scratches like crazy but that's part of the charm, as you've noticed.
It's also quite pleasant to work with provided you understand that it's going to get scratched up just in the making.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

NUMBER 1 FULCI FAN posted:

Is that a DieselPunk pattern? I absolutely love his stuff. I made his dog harness pattern and it was the easiest thing in the world just because the pattern was so well done.

Thank you for mentioning this guy. His patterns look good and his Youtube channel is great.

Thread:

Does anyone have any other good channels to recommend? I've already got Leodis and LittleKingGoods

Also, I have a big pile of fairly thick (like 10-12oz) pieces that are at most a square foot. Any suggestions of some good beginner projects?

Jaxyon fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Sep 12, 2020

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
My own participation in this hobby has gone down to nil so now I just watch a ton of leatherwork YouTube!

This Reddit post (I know, Reddit, but it's decent for crafts) contains a huge list of channels, but here are my favourites:

Corter Leather: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoYR1doityX-Cac-3lP4MLA

Hanhs Atelier: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJYSHaxWbDhYgh-PH0nashw

Harry Rogers: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUydSC4GgiVQbcpjQTR_zQw

OU Object: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuIn_zWNyvJ2ifEmtOPYx5w

Studio Hael: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCi5rRT9m6p3EoYCcgLR4WZA

Vasile and Pavel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxLMyQopFN6v2-zubnrq0QA

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008
Yeah, having trouble maintaining any momentum or enthusiasm just now, but here's who have been helpful in the past:

Armitage (I think recommended from earlier in this thread):
https://www.youtube.com/c/NigelArmitage/featured
Product reviews and advanced techniques

Ian Atkinson/Leodis:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLkCG-505-1t0rYlgBTSnpQ
From beginner to mid-range work

Prince Armory:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmtnq4rV4X8ri1-4hq2fJlg
Worthwhile if you're into fantasy armor, otherwise not.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Great channel. Dude has an awesome "trying out leatherworking guide" that basically just shows you the absolute basics without telling you to purchase $150 in tools.

And in another, he makes a tiny wallet just because he can.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

Jaxyon posted:

Great channel. Dude has an awesome "trying out leatherworking guide" that basically just shows you the absolute basics without telling you to purchase $150 in tools.

And in another, he makes a tiny wallet just because he can.

That was a good video, came across that and all of the videos from Weaver. I don't think I've ever seen a retailer put out such quality videos that really shows you useful instructions and ideas. Plus Chuck's enthusiasm for leathercraft is infectious.

I got interested in trying my hand at leatherwork, I want to add that ability to my list of skills. Got some basic supplies and did my first little test bit, as suggested by the Corter videos. Seemed a lot better to be disappointed in a simple line than getting frustrated over a project when first trying this stuff out.

I'm pretty happy with my very first run at it. I got a couple veg tan bellies to practice my stitch chisels and sewing with.

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008
Better'n my first run. Good on you.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
That's a pretty freaking neat stitch!

My first attempts were... decidedly not neat.

I have a couple of leather panels coming soon (?) for a small project so hopefully I'll have something to contribute besides YouTube links.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

is there a good book on leatherworking tips? A relative's birthday is coming up and since last year they've really taken a liking to leatherwork stuff, so a book that supports their hobby seems like the best fit.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Hello leather daddies! (Is that what you call leather fans I am not good with words :ohdear:) DIY Secret Santa signups are open!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3941260

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

double nine posted:

is there a good book on leatherworking tips? A relative's birthday is coming up and since last year they've really taken a liking to leatherwork stuff, so a book that supports their hobby seems like the best fit.

Al Stohlman's books are considered bibles of the craft so take a look at those. They were (mostly) written in the '50s and '60s though, so the patterns and styles of the projects tend to be very old-timey and/or Western. Depending on what your relative is into, they might not be as useful.

corgski posted:

Hello leather daddies! (Is that what you call leather fans I am not good with words :ohdear:) DIY Secret Santa signups are open!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3941260

Don't be silly. The preferred term is leatherettes.

I know you asked people to write in their likes/dislikes, but did want to point out that leather in particular isn't always welcome. It might necessitate a stronger callout at signup, at least if any leatherettes sign up.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Trabant posted:

Don't be silly. The preferred term is leatherettes.

I know you asked people to write in their likes/dislikes, but did want to point out that leather in particular isn't always welcome. It might necessitate a stronger callout at signup, at least if any leatherettes sign up.

Good point! I'm hoping people would mention if they are of the vegan persuasion but I'll add a gentle reminder to the signup thread all the same.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
It's been more than a year since I made anything with leather so I made a silly thing to see whether I still know how to saddle-stitch:

The good news is that I do! I also started casting on the back of the piece -- highly recommended, by the way -- and I'm generally pleased with it, except:

The bad news is that I was let down by my inability to punch holes in a straight or consistent line, even with one scratched in using dividers. I'm blaming the randomly missed/misaligned stitches on my use of an arbor press on the floor rather than a mallet on my desk, you know, like a sane person would. I'll have to rethink whether I do any more leatherwork with my current setup or just wait until I have more/better space.

Anyway! This is basically a straight copy of the one shown here although I winged my own pattern (thought $20 was steep) and with some minor construction differences. I burnished the edges instead of painting them, and I didn't stich the upper card holder section to the outside -- I didn't think having a stitch line through the middle of the outer layer looked all that great. It took almost exactly 1/2 sq. ft. of Wickett & Craig dark brown bridle of about 1.4mm, Tandy's 3mm pricking irons, some thread of :iiam: provenance, and a Tandy Line 20 snap.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Trabant posted:

It's been more than a year since I made anything with leather so I made a silly thing to see whether I still know how to saddle-stitch:

The good news is that I do! I also started casting on the back of the piece -- highly recommended, by the way -- and I'm generally pleased with it, except:

The bad news is that I was let down by my inability to punch holes in a straight or consistent line, even with one scratched in using dividers. I'm blaming the randomly missed/misaligned stitches on my use of an arbor press on the floor rather than a mallet on my desk, you know, like a sane person would. I'll have to rethink whether I do any more leatherwork with my current setup or just wait until I have more/better space.

Anyway! This is basically a straight copy of the one shown here although I winged my own pattern (thought $20 was steep) and with some minor construction differences. I burnished the edges instead of painting them, and I didn't stich the upper card holder section to the outside -- I didn't think having a stitch line through the middle of the outer layer looked all that great. It took almost exactly 1/2 sq. ft. of Wickett & Craig dark brown bridle of about 1.4mm, Tandy's 3mm pricking irons, some thread of :iiam: provenance, and a Tandy Line 20 snap.

I think that looks great, good work.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
^ thank you! :tipshat:

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Hello DIYers! We have a new forum/mod feedback thread and would love to hear your thoughts!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/s...hreadid=3944213

Get ready to read this message 15 more times in every thread you read!

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Hello DIYers! We have a new forum/mod feedback thread and would love to hear your thoughts!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/s...hreadid=3944213

Get ready to read this message 15 more times in every thread you read!

Ooh, can we mock you for posting a bad link in all 15 threads?

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Trabant posted:

Ooh, can we mock you for posting a bad link in all 15 threads?

You may! I posted a working link in about half of them but then lost it from my clipboard and when I copy pasted one of the announcements it broke the formatting for the link. Here is the correct link and it is stickied etc.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3944213

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?
Hullo leather chums, I couldn’t see if this was covered in the op - forgive me if so.

I’d like to form a sheet of leather into what you might call a stairway pattern: a series of right angle triangles about 60mm by 15mm. It would have to be stiff and not relax from subsequently getting wet even in heavy rain. In terms of the initial forming am I right in thinking that a couple of moulds in the shape I want clamped on each side of a piece of wet veg tan would be the way to go? Would that dry and be stiffer than the raw material? I sort of assume that surface treatments to waterproof it exist.

I realise this should be very obvious - at the moment I’m on very little sleep due to lockdown and a new puppy.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Yep just use a mold to get the shape you want, then apply Tan-Kote after you dye it to give it some water resistance.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
That does sound like the solution, but I can't visualize what the final product needs to look like so I can't imagine how you'd clamp it down. Can you post a drawing or anything similar-looking?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I think they're saying they would make a positive and negative of the same shape and put the leather in between and clamp them together.

Honestly it's so easy to wet form leather that you might just be able to get away with one mold. I have a flat tool with rounded edges that I use to press the leather around shapes and you'd want something similar to make sure that you got good 90deg corners on the inside angles.

Once dry it's remarkable how well leather holds it's shape. This sheath I made for some shears is impossible to compress near the 'beak' part:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Anyone used buyleatheronline.com? The prices seen pretty good compared to my local options.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Hello Hobbyists and Crafters of all sorts! Our friends from Creative Convention are visiting with their Travelling Showcase of Wonders and they want to see all the cool and fantastic things you've been working on! Go show them off and admire the handiwork of other talented goons!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3946255

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Arise thread, and gaze upon my amateur work! This is the second thing I've made, a moleskine journal cover for a friend as a gift. It's not perfect, but he certainly didn't care. Even as I stared at mistakes with a death glare and a smile while berating myself inside. I'd have probably made another one and kept this if I had time, but I was already burning the Christmas Eve oil to finish it in time. It was still a ton of fun, and looking forward to the next project, with less of a time restriction. (And supplies to make two for practice...)

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

PirateDentist posted:

Arise thread, and gaze upon my amateur work! This is the second thing I've made, a moleskine journal cover for a friend as a gift. It's not perfect, but he certainly didn't care. Even as I stared at mistakes with a death glare and a smile while berating myself inside. I'd have probably made another one and kept this if I had time, but I was already burning the Christmas Eve oil to finish it in time. It was still a ton of fun, and looking forward to the next project, with less of a time restriction. (And supplies to make two for practice...)

I think that looks great, I'm sure your friend would be very happy with it.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

PirateDentist posted:

Even as I stared at mistakes with a death glare and a smile while berating myself inside.

Why do we do this to ourselves?

And yes, nicely done -- the recipient will love it!

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Trabant posted:

Because, like our creations, we too are deeply flawed. :v:

And thanks, the recipient did like it, the comment I got was "I feel like I need to go on adventures now..." Felt a whole lot better afterward.

Making some folding dice trays next once some supplies come in. I'll try to get some more in progress shots of them. Also going to start making some pouches for my tools with the less pretty bits of leather. Good basic practice and keeping my tool investment safe.

devilmonk
May 21, 2003

Is that designed so that the pen holder acts as the closure ? If so that’s really cool. (If not it’s still cool)

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

devilmonk posted:

Is that designed so that the pen holder acts as the closure ? If so that’s really cool. (If not it’s still cool)

Oh that's neat I like that.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Trabant posted:

And yes, nicely done -- the recipient will love it!
Noticing the flaws in something is how we get better at stuff. It’s a good thing.

Letting it get you down because you aren’t perfect or letting it paralyze you from sharing your work because isn’t good enough is not a good thing.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

devilmonk posted:

Yes! The pen acts as the pin holding it closed. I found the pattern and it was a neat touch, even if tougher to make.

devilmonk
May 21, 2003

PirateDentist posted:

Yes! The pen acts as the pin holding it closed. I found the pattern and it was a neat touch, even if tougher to make.

It’s great I love it.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Babby's first leather project: Making a koozie in the style of old hockey goalie blockers (a.k.a. waffleboards)

Stitching isn't entirely even since I just poked stitch holes individually with an awl but meh. There's white canvas-like fabric attached to the leather with spray adhesive. We'll see how long that lasts. For a first project I'm happy with how it came out, and the recipient seems to enjoy it, so it's all good.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Nicely done! How'd you get the hole spacing so regular?

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Thanks! For the stitch holes I held my ruler to the leather and made a small mark with an awl every 1/8" or so, then came back and hammered them in. They aren't completely even, but maybe I think that just because I spent hours stating at it 6 inches away from my face.

Unless you're taking about the large holes. Those also aren't too even. I'm showing the best side out in the photo. I used the awl and my ruler and made a grid using very light scratches and hammered em out using the largest punch out die I had, which is 5/16" I think.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Rotten Cookies posted:

Thanks! For the stitch holes I held my ruler to the leather and made a small mark with an awl every 1/8" or so, then came back and hammered them in. They aren't completely even, but maybe I think that just because I spent hours stating at it 6 inches away from my face.

You may already know this but you can get a stitching wheel that will make that process a lot easier, specifically on curved edges where you can't use a punch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
A bit of thread necromancy to post this, which I thought was fun:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFToCXErfi0