Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Cambrinus posted:

I'm not SAS, but I've found an easier and more controllable way of doing boiled leather for costuming/armor was to soak it in water, mould it and then heat it with a paint gun. You keep the leather malleable for as long as you like and you can do touch ups while you're working as the leather shrinks. It dries out the leather a bit more, and doesn't quite reach the levels of hardness/brittleness boiling leather does, but otherwise I've found the results to be much more satisfactory than just tossing leather in hot/boiling water and hoping for the best. You can also put wax on the leather and melt it in for added hardness/durability/gloss. Here's the moulded/hardened bracers that I did that way, before I painted them:

The pointy bits were all waxed and hardened even further. The bracers keep their shape a lot better than regular moulded leather and they're pretty tough and durable.

Here's a picture of the end product, with added gauntlet bits:

Great info!

Also, are you Sauron?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Pagan posted:

This was a project for a friend of mine, who needed an archery quiver. She's also a fan of Hunger Games. I didn't want to copy the Mockingjay logo for several reasons, so I decided to make my own logo. But first, I had to learn how to draw birds.

This is one of the images that influenced my bluejay. I like how muscular and powerful the bird looks in this shot.

A good shot showing the wings and head. I used many reference pictures to learn how to draw these birds.

This was my first attempt at drawing a bluejay. Not too bad, but I had a lot of work to do. I do NOT consider myself an artist when it comes to drawing. I've never been happy with my drawings, but I figured practice would pay off.

I filled up about 100 pages of my sketchbook with practice drawings, and ended up with this. Here, I've taken the completed drawing and I've transferred it to wet leather, and then I follow it with a swivel knife and various stamps to create different impressions.

One of my goals with this drawing was to capture the feeling of a bluejay so well that the extra colors wouldn't be needed.

I used a paintbrush to carefully go around the edges with this layer of black.

This shows the two major different pieces, and you can see all the various carving.

I used ribbon to lace up the back, and here it is with a few arrows.

I'm pretty happy overall. I think I need to work on making my stamps smoother and more even, but overall I'm pretty pleased.

That turned out gorgeous, jesus.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Sweet As Sin posted:

Fantastic! how's the quality of the tools? My first stitches were horrible, in part because I wasn't really marking the holes with any tools.

My dad requested a leather mousepad of his favorite cat, Terra

I can't find any finishing liquids so I'll leave it like that for the meantime.

That turned out gorgeous!

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

deoju posted:

Anybody know what this thing is? It was in a box of leather working tools that belonged to my great-grandmother. The blade, if you can call it that, is an equilateral triangle.

I'm curious what you would use such a weird tool for, and google isn't much help for this sort of thing.

Looks like a pyramid-tip awl, but I think those are usually 4-sided?

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice
I really like the effect you get with contrasting colors in the wallets, those are gorgeous.