Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
I started doing chainmail a few months ago, and my friend (now housemate) started leatherworking under the tutelage of another friend who had been doing it for a few years. Along with a few other people we're in the process of forming a leatherworking guild for the mid-Atlantic region (more info when we have it, but it will hopefully cover Delaware, Maryland, and Virginia for now).

Anyway, I got pulled into it as well as first an associated member who could help with anyone's chainmail needs, but then I was given a starter kit and told to go wild. I went to the work room and made a few things with no pattern or plan to get a feel, and my housemate gave me some instruction on a number of other techniques.

Here's the first thing I've made that isn't so terrible

The leather quality isn't that great because I made it with a piece from a pile of scrap they gave me, but it feels pretty solid. We don't have any snaps nor buckles so I'm going to put in an order to Tandy so I can finish this. I also managed to do the coloring without any gloves on since we have none and my drat fingers are still black. But hey, I think it was a good start. I'm going to replace the handle on that knife because it doesn't look right.

My next project is a gun holster for a muzzleloading pistol I'm building.

edit: Also, I am horrifically bad at tooling. I just can't get anything to turn out how I want. I know I'm new but I can at least get things to look correct, but tooling has never, ever worked out for me.

edit2: Holy crap, looking through this thread I feel like such a shitter. There's serious talent here.

Adult Sword Owner fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jul 16, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU