Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MaineMan
Jan 10, 2006
Whoah, you've got some awesome looking stuff!

Easy (hopefully) question for you. I bought an old off-brand Duluth (canoe) pack off of Craigslist last summer, and the leather straps are not in the best of condition. I took it to my local saddle shop to have one of the straps replaced (I got the pack for $40, a pretty good deal) and the lady there charged me $20 to put a new strap on, put a few rivets in, and cut it to size. After I took it on a 2-week long canoe trip, the other strap ended up breaking around 10 days in.

It's out in a garage cabinet right now, so I can't take an actual photo of it, but here are a few pictures for reference:

Back of pack (with backpack-like straps)
http://www.acontinuouslean.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/Duluth_Pack.jpg
Front of pack (where you open the flap to stash your gear)
http://acontinuouslean.files.wordpress.com/2008/10/1202_2.jpg

Basically, all of the leather has seen a lot of abuse and I'd like to swap it out. The straps that keep the pack shut were the exact same size that the lady had at the saddle shop--guessing it was for bridlework. The backpack straps are a bit wider as you can see from the photos. I saw her do the rivet work and it looks extremely simple... Just need the rivet tool and some brass or copper rivets. I don't have a local place to buy any leather from (the nearest Tandy leather is like 30 miles away).

If I were to measure all the strap material and arrange them in a way that they could be cut from a large piece of leather, would replacing all of the straps be easy work for a newbie? The saddle shop lady said I could bring it in and have her replace all of the straps... But at the prices she charged I am better off just buying a brand new pack! The canvas is in good condition, and has a rubber liner at the bottom, so I'd rather just re-do it myself and save my cash. I have the old pieces to use as a pattern.

Where would you suggest buying such a piece of leather to cut the pieces from? What type would you recommend for this project? I don't really care about the color as long as it's tan/brown, but it needs to be strong enough to withstand heavy abuse and stand up to water exposure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU