Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
Lately I have been listening to Chill Out by The KLF a lot - it's a very good cd if you haven't heard it before. I was surprised to not see it mentioned in the OP. I think the only place you can legally buy this CD is in North America, because The KLF deleted their entire UK catalog because of art.

Also Instinct used to put out a lot of really interesting ambient compilation cds in the 90's. I had this one which had supposedly been produced in "3D sound" and had all sorts of weird trippy background things going on like subway sounds and people mumbling and moving around the room on top of the music. Also there was a very good 2CD set that was one cd of trance music (this was pre-stadium trance, very mellow and different from what they call trance today) and one of ambient music, mostly by the same artists. I remember Taylor Dupree did quite a lot of it in his various names (Human Mesh Dance, Prototype 909, etc).

My ex-girlfriend once had a cd of St. Giga - the Japanese satellite radio station that played 24/7 ambient music with broadcast themes were approximately matched to the current tidal cycle according to the rule of twelfths throughout the 24-hour broadcasting period. It was really good. I have never seen another copy of it, even on :filez: though I'm sure it can be found somewhere.

This was the radio station that later hosted Satellaview for the Super Famicom, a subscription-based video game service that was sort of a cross between online video games and live radio broadcasting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU