Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

This is my ambient playlist for working or staring off into space. For Spotify

I think it is pretty drat good and features artists such as Brian Eno, Biosphere, Loscil, Eluvium, Tim Hecker, The Hope Blister (an Ivo Watts-Russel project), Riceboy Sleeps, and Stars of the Lid. In other words, objectively the best ambient music.

It's also collaborative so you can add things to it (if you add non-ambient poo poo I will delete it).

http://open.spotify.com/user/moscowcentre/playlist/5vHRRCIC9vd0ZLEhgH61An

And Goa and Psytrance are not subgenres of ambient at all really.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Mar 29, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Vogler posted:

I am going to be following this thread closely to see if there is anything that can hold a candle to Biosphere's 'Substrata' or Aphex Twin's 'Selected Ambient Works 85-92', but already I am starting to feel worried.

Biosphere's "Dropsonde" is just as good as Substrata IMO.

Also, Tor Lundvall's "Empty City" is a great work in the same vein.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Someone already mentioned Woob, and if you like Woob (you should), I strongly recommend checking out the em:t compilations from the mid-90's, I believe one was called "explorations" and another "2000" or something like that. Lots of great artists like gas, miasma, woob, david toop, etc. All very organic sounding ambient and ambient groove.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

That is really sad news. I've only heard a small portion of his huge discography but I loved his work with Higher Intelligence Agency and Bill Laswell

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

hey I thought some of you guys might like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqZHB7XAK9o

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Technically that era of Coil should be referred to as "moon musick".

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Also here's a new thing you guys might like:

https://soundcloud.com/disparition/one-road-among-many

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

modestmusashi posted:

Looking for guidance in navigating "minimalist" composers e.g. Philip Glass, Steve Reich, La Monte Young, etc., and there doesn't seem to be a better thread to look for said guidance than this one.

I've thus far listened to "Music for 18 Musicians" by Steve Reich and "Glassworks" by Philip Glass, the latter of which I especially liked. "Glassworks" is referred to by Glass himself as an intro into his work, but his discography is a bit daunting. So, I'm looking for what you Goons believe to be standout works of his, or any other must-listen minimalist stuff.

My favorite pieces by Glass are somewhat less minimalist than his other works, its his string quartets. Kronos Quartet has an album of them. They were written I believe early in his career, maybe even in his student days, and don't go into the extreme repetitions of his later styles. In fact there are elements of them that I would even call Romantic. In any case, they are very beautiful and have been some of my favorite pieces of music for decades.

If you are looking for the style of minimalist music he is more known for I would suggest checking out his opera Einstein on the Beach and his piece Music with Changing Parts. The latter especially is a classic example of one of his more minimalist pieces and very rigidly adheres to that form and evolves slowly over time.

As for other composers I definitely recommend John Adams who has some great pieces in this direction. Shaker Loops in particular. Harmonielehre and Nixon in China are also good places to start with Adams, less minimalist but also very good.

Steve Reich's pieces that focus on single instruments such as Violin Phase are quite interesting. And I definitely recommend The Desert Music which is based on the poetry of William Carlos Williams and so incorporates lyrics into this style of music in a really cool way.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

what the gently caress is Flurbp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

slowdave posted:

Basically downtempbro but with stronger smooth garage/mineral ambient/uppercase influences.

i hate everything