Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Did That on Television
Nov 8, 2004
lemonparties with wippersnapper
I really like Gas a lot. I have the 2008 Kompakt box set Voigt put out of the four albums, slightly remastered and edited. All of it -- and especially Pop, which I heard first in its standalone Mille Plateaux CD release before knowing anything else about Gas -- is ever so slightly unnerving! I can't get enough looped ambient drones, and how lo-fi it sounds at the same time. It's interesting too how, unlike say Eno's Ambient series of albums or albums by Carbon Based Lifeforms, Gas's music doesn't ever eventually build up and resolve. It just sort of... moves on and completes without much expectation. I actually find it interesting to actively listen to as well as to get lost within (and fall asleep to, as creepy as it is to wake up to it as well).

Basically, I'm wondering what else I should check out considering how much I like Gas. Thanks, ambient friends!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Did That on Television
Nov 8, 2004

Emetic Hustler posted:

These two releases are the first ones that come to mind when thinking about Gas-like ambient, some without the beat, but loopy nonetheless. Haven't really explored more Andrew Deutsch, so don't know if his other stuff is as similar. I also have more recommendations in the first couple of pages of this thread that you might find interesting, although you are probably familiar with some of them already.

Global Systems Silently Moving - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JL_a3GvZlXE from the album Altering the Air

Andrew Deutsch - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kv6S0KkITxs from the album Loops over Land.

I liked these a lot! I found the Andrew Deutsch especially captivating and will at least have to check out that album. Thanks for the heads up! I think I really like lo-fi, droning and loopy ambient music. This doesn't seem to be a particularly common sort of sound though judging from what sort of music is usually labelled electronic ambient music? (I don't really know my way about generally electronic music, let alone the ambient genre, sorry.)

Bushmeister posted:

░▒▓ - █ ▄ █ █ ▄ ██ ▄ ██ ▄█
http://mistersofty.bandcamp.com/album/-

Dirty Knobs - Field Recordings From The Edge Of Hell
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-p0YPe6VLk

Granted these are veering more into drone territory I guess, rather than straight ambient.

That ASCII art album was really nice, and if that's straight drone then I suppose I'd like to check out more! I don't know if this is the proper thread for that but are there any cornerstone (ambient? downtempo? I don't know...) drone albums you could recommend? I still need to listen to the Dirty Knobs video you posted though.

Did That on Television
Nov 8, 2004
Man, I listened to SAW2 a couple days ago as I was falling asleep and I woke up at some point during the night to one of the tracks playing and it was probably the creepiest loving moment in my life I've experienced in a long time (don't remember the track of course). I need to check out more Aphex Twin too, since I've only heard that and the first ambient album he did...

Do y'all like Seefeel at all? I listened to Polyfusia and Quique recently and thought they were really great. Apparently Aphex Twin was/is friends with Mark Clifford, the main guy behind Seefeel, and he genuinely likes their music too which is supposed to be quite rare for him regarding other artists especially ones he's remixed?

Did That on Television fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Mar 7, 2014