Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Maybe rolling on red would reignite my interest in p99. I cant even get hyped about Velious. I just log in and look at my three characters, think about where to grind levels and then log out :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramulack
Oct 12, 2009

Dirt posted:

While not as exciting as a pimped out Red Lizard Monk, I did finally manage to drag a character out of the 30's.

Now I totally have no idea what I'm doing.

I just hit 40 on my Necro last night. It doesn't seem too bad. Hell, soloing I still almost get 1% per kill in OT of all terrible places.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Hexel posted:

Maybe rolling on red would reignite my interest in p99. I cant even get hyped about Velious. I just log in and look at my three characters, think about where to grind levels and then log out :negative:

I was slowly losing interest in my Red monk until I hit 40 and app'd to TMO per Anime's suggestion. Whatever they were before on Blue, I don't know. I do know that right now they are a super chill, fun bunch of dudes to play with. I've learned how to play end-game at EQ at a very high level just by hanging out with them in TeamSpeak and running cool poo poo like Sol B, Sebilis, and Karnor's Castle, all while fighting off better-geared players. It's definitely reinvigorated the game for me, and I don't feel locked away from end-game content like I felt on Blue once my necromancer hit his 50's.

Pratan
Dec 31, 2006

Siets posted:

I was slowly losing interest in my Red monk until I hit 40 and app'd to TMO per Anime's suggestion. Whatever they were before on Blue, I don't know. I do know that right now they are a super chill, fun bunch of dudes to play with. I've learned how to play end-game at EQ at a very high level just by hanging out with them in TeamSpeak and running cool poo poo like Sol B, Sebilis, and Karnor's Castle, all while fighting off better-geared players. It's definitely reinvigorated the game for me, and I don't feel locked away from end-game content like I felt on Blue once my necromancer hit his 50's.

How are they on the batphoning and poopsocking? I will do neither of these things, but would like to see endgame on one of my 235789234570983 characters.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Pratan posted:

How are they on the batphoning and poopsocking? I will do neither of these things, but would like to see endgame on one of my 235789234570983 characters.

Batphoning is still a thing, although every single raid that has been called has been optional. Nothing has been mandatory, even when we get into elevated-numbers engagements with Empire. If you don't show, nobody holds it against you (as long as you at least show up to some things and can be seen making an effort.) The main thing is that right now we are focused more on leveling since we are still new and lacking a huge showing of level 60 characters.

That said, I'm still listed as an applicant and not a full member yet. From what I can gather about earning permanent member status, you go through an extensive vetting process where the officers expect you to at least try to progress. That means leveling when you can and showing up to what raids you can, but it does not mean poopsock all the time and wake up at odd hours for every raid. At least, that is what leadership has pitched. As I have not passed the vetting process yet, I am not sure how long it takes. I don't really let it bother me though, and so far I've made a ton of friends in the guild and officers have told me "we think you're doing very well." Despite being applicant status, TMO has showered me with more items and group invites than I could have ever hoped for. I thought for sure I would be locked out of those sorts of things until achieving full member status, but that just isn't the case. They are all really fun, motivated, and helpful people.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
Hopefully the good times keep rolling for you in TMO on red. The lack of people and pixel competition should hopefully keep their inner manchild spergs from emerging. It should be a pretty interesting experience transitioning into Velious for you guys compared to most of the P99 pop as you're not sitting 5 deep on BiS 60 characters - way more like it was for most guilds on live.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah I have seen that silly old TMO Blue Twitch video where they go off on some guy named Bouncer about e-reputation and poo poo. I think most of the officers this time around are grizzled Red vets, as is a good chunk of our applicant and member base. We also know we aren't able to contend with Empire's Fungi Tstaff monks and their epic Torpor shamans abound, which helps keep all of the egos in check. I think we enjoy being the underdogs right now though, as do a number of elite PvP dudes that have always fought against the establishment power guilds that joined up with us. I've been studying under the wing of a dude named Brobby who has multiple 60s that he logs off fully buffed in all the major dungeons and been having a great time.

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM
Also apparently resists are completely hosed on red and not at all classic - high resist means you're fully resisting nukes with no secondary component, which never happened on rallos zek.

Full resists were like some basic 5% chance, otherwise you just got partials most of the time.

Running around with 150 MR meant you pretty much never got rooted or stunned or snared, but you sure as poo poo took partial and full damage from magic based nukes, and stinging swarm / necro dots always landed.

Ramulack
Oct 12, 2009
Which classes do you see lacking in the Red99 raid scene?

I always thought since PVP changes the dynamic of what people want to play that classes would have a different representation than on blue

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
A bunch of us are going to start playing for the first time in umpteen years. So far we've got a druid, shammy, and a monk. What's the best class to fill in the holes? I'm thinking a SK? Chanter?

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
You can basically play whatever. Just know that if you play a melee class that all wizards, druids, and shamans will utterly wreck you in PvP until you are wearing at least 120+ magic resistance and carry multiple Crystallized Pumice in your inventory (bard is the exception, bards are ridiculous.)

PvP dominance isn't the end all be all on Red though, much as you might think it is. Play what sounds fun to you to play. Every single class has good matchups and poor matchups, and gear is the great equalizer in the end. It all works out eventually. Besides, the exp bonus on Red means it is the best server to cure that burning case of altitis. You don't have to stick with your first character for very long if you get far down the road and don't end up liking it.

Also, a friend and I rolled new dark elves on Red. Add "Tasarin" to your /friend list. Ya'll who are rerolling on Red should also roll dark elves and we could get a huge dark elf static exp group going. It would be awesome.

Ramulack
Oct 12, 2009

Siets posted:

You can basically play whatever. Just know that if you play a melee class that all wizards, druids, and shamans will utterly wreck you in PvP until you are wearing at least 120+ magic resistance and carry multiple Crystallized Pumice in your inventory (bard is the exception, bards are ridiculous.)

PvP dominance isn't the end all be all on Red though, much as you might think it is. Play what sounds fun to you to play. Every single class has good matchups and poor matchups, and gear is the great equalizer in the end. It all works out eventually. Besides, the exp bonus on Red means it is the best server to cure that burning case of altitis. You don't have to stick with your first character for very long if you get far down the road and don't end up liking it.

Also, a friend and I rolled new dark elves on Red. Add "Tasarin" to your /friend list. Ya'll who are rerolling on Red should also roll dark elves and we could get a huge dark elf static exp group going. It would be awesome.

I'll add you tonight. I have a Troll Shaman going (Idioteque).

Not_Rainbow_Horse
Nov 11, 2013
I'm dusting off my 34 rogue Frag and I need macros, anyone know some off hand? I think something like hide after bs to minimize aggro? I don't remember as it's been a while since i played this character.

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
I've got a lowbie DE chanter on Red that could get down on a static depending on the times you guys play. My main is Uhuh but the ench is named Bland. Add me yo.

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM
Blue has an extremely active population right now especially at the lower levels. The only empty zone I've been in so far was Runnyeye...and that zone was always completely empty even back in '99

Unrest has been packed with 15-20 people ... Mistmoore same, Befallen same, it's night and day compared to a few years ago.

Great time to start playing.

oswald ownenstein fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jul 31, 2015

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002

Not_Rainbow_Horse posted:

I'm dusting off my 34 rogue Frag and I need macros, anyone know some off hand? I think something like hide after bs to minimize aggro? I don't remember as it's been a while since i played this character.

Turn off auto attack and then hide yeah, that will give you an evade check I believe which lowers aggro if you succeed.

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx

Ramulack posted:

How large was the Red99 Goon guild when it was a thing? Just how large of a presence do they have in Red99?

I've been playing blue for months but every once in awhile I have the urge to try red. On one hand the leveling bonus and uncontested mobs is really appealing but on the other-hand I have concerns about not really knowing how I feel about PvP in a game never designed for PvP as well as being able to find / get to groups if I roll a group desired class (to take advantage of that bonus).

The red 99 guild used to be 30-50% of the server pop or more at any given time. Now I think it's just Zaxar in TMO, Slugg in Empire, Agatha's brother who might still be in TMO and I (in TMO) unless there's some goons I'm forgetting about.

Pratan posted:

Batphones are a thing, how else would you organize raids in Everquest? TMO's pretty good about balancing being a serious and casual guild, which played a large role in why I joined. They're pretty cool about people having lives and jobs and stuff, so long as you make someone aware that's why you have lovely raid attendance and put effort into keeping up with the guild (leveling, gearing in dungeons etc) if you just don't show up to things and nobody knows why, yeah you'll probably end up being kicked, they have over 300 applicants to sort through.

Yeah if you're sitting around on an alt or playing hearthstone on teamspeak with your thumb up your rear end when a batphone goes out you might get the boot, but nobody's going to get upset if you're at your job or something. TMO has zero issues with making numbers.

We also give loot priority to people in asia/euro timezones when two players with similar dkp/attendance/loot history want the same item, which is pretty cool.

Ramulack posted:

Which classes do you see lacking in the Red99 raid scene?

I always thought since PVP changes the dynamic of what people want to play that classes would have a different representation than on blue

There are never enough warriors, clerics, and rogue MAINS (there are plenty of rogue alts on the server.) Magicians are also severely under-represented because they suck in PVP, but are absolutely vital to raids (modrods, CotH) in general though, play what you want. Red isn't like blue where you won't find any groups or feel unneeded if you play a Necromancer or something. Groups are way easier to find on red, nobody cares what class you play as long as the group has the basics needed to kill mobs, and classes which aren't very useful to have more than one or two of in PvE are still great to have around in raids for PvP (shadowknights etc)

quote:

That said, I'm still listed as an applicant and not a full member yet. From what I can gather about earning permanent member status, you go through an extensive vetting process where the officers expect you to at least try to progress. That means leveling when you can and showing up to what raids you can, but it does not mean poopsock all the time and wake up at odd hours for every raid. At least, that is what leadership has pitched. As I have not passed the vetting process yet, I am not sure how long it takes. I don't really let it bother me though, and so far I've made a ton of friends in the guild and officers have told me "we think you're doing very well." Despite being applicant status, TMO has showered me with more items and group invites than I could have ever hoped for. I thought for sure I would be locked out of those sorts of things until achieving full member status, but that just isn't the case. They are all really fun, motivated, and helpful people.

Spot on. TMO does have a rather extensive vetting process and it usually takes a couple months to make member (probably longer now that there's so many apps) but being an applicant doesn't make you a second-rate citizen in the guild. Cliqueyness is kept to a minimum, and we've even kicked top players on the server out because of that. It's more about your personality, how you fit in, how you react to loot decisions, etc than how many 60's you have and how many hours you can raid.

Tashan Dorrsett fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Aug 1, 2015

insulated staircase
Aug 21, 2014

probably busy for launch event but that's okay.

what are some good camps I can rogue invis to and watch nerds lose their minds over a video game?

Dirt
May 26, 2003

EC Tunnel is a weird place guys.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

a real jerk posted:

probably busy for launch event but that's okay.

what are some good camps I can rogue invis to and watch nerds lose their minds over a video game?
If you mean velious, holgresh elder beads in wakening lands, stormfeather and lodizal in EW, to name a few. But really, Ziglark in Skyshrine will be amazing because its got low enough hp to be easily KSd and everyone wants into cobalt scar and beyond.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Any idea what Holgresh Elder Beads are going to cost in the EC tunnel?

I want one for my necro. Not sure how much I am willing to pay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
Beads will be stupid-expensive for a while, as will any other dropables that are either useful/upgrades for tons of classes, things that get taken out eventually, or otherwise shiny and new. I'd refrain from buying anything for a bit. There are at least a few lower tier Blue guilds that are planning on locking down camps like the Holgresh since even the easiest raid mobs like Vindi will be highly contested for awhile. If you want to do something worthwhile that will be less crowded, any of the armor quest gem mobs will be a good investment, as many raiding guild members are rich and won't have the time to be farming them on their own. There's also some decent dropable stuff in zones like Skyshrine that should be easy to get a shot at since they have a chance to drop off pretty much every mob past the front part of the zone (coin purses, oiled greaves, caster earrings, etc.).

PSA: I will be posting a new thread for Velious some time tonight and then closing this one, but I'll also be going out of town for a week starting tomorrow. If anyone has anything they'd like to contribute (screenshots, links, guides, whatever) please post them or PM me in the next few hours. Otherwise it will be another week+ before I will likely get to them.

EDIT: New thread here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3734275

aparmenideanmonad fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Aug 2, 2015

• Locked thread