Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iNteg
Dec 17, 2007
I talk to aparmenideanmonad for like 20 minutes yesterday, I KNOW, that I don't have time to play this poo poo right now, but it has me wanting to log in so badly right now, my little rogue needs 55 asap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

A week of Tundra Yeti genocide has me up to level 45 now. Just bought JBoot MQ, went as well as I could have hoped. Just need to buy a Tstaff for when I hit level 50.

Not sure where to solo now or if I am gonna break down and finally start looking for groups.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
You could break down and look for a partner first to ease into things. Shaman is ideal, but cleric, necro, enc, and druid all make good partners as well.

If you still want to solo, I would recommend heading to LGuk to get your Raster camp done. Minos are still decent XP at that level and you might as well get XP while you're camping him. Bring lots of bandaids.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

aparmenideanmonad posted:

Bring lots of bandaids.

And when you think you've got enough, double it. You'll probably be there for a while. A long, long while.

And if you get an early pop, then yay! So you have to vendor some bandages, no biggie.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

yeah I was gonna hit the Raster camp last night but a 60 was already there. At least I didnt waste the time running down there and back first. I tried at like level 37 or 38 and it wasnt really possible I pulled aggro through walls over huge distances. Took so much flopping to get out it looked like the NBA finals.

Ive got a couple stacks of bandages on me but the Fungi actually makes them hard to use because I get back over 50% so quickly. I know first world problems right?

Xodi
May 20, 2004

Xodi is.. alien dinosaur? wtf?! (thanks OMG ITZ JAMES)
So I decided to take my Seafury Island windfall and roll up a bard. I may have gone a bit overboard. I got to like, level 8 in a sitting. Oops.

Guy's name is Rhyiak. Hit me up if any of your lowbies would enjoy a private concert or whatever gay poo poo bards do.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Lakedaimon posted:

yeah I was gonna hit the Raster camp last night but a 60 was already there. At least I didnt waste the time running down there and back first. I tried at like level 37 or 38 and it wasnt really possible I pulled aggro through walls over huge distances. Took so much flopping to get out it looked like the NBA finals.

Ive got a couple stacks of bandages on me but the Fungi actually makes them hard to use because I get back over 50% so quickly. I know first world problems right?

Oh you have a fungi? Then yeah, you don't need as many bandaids.

Combat-bandaging is still recommended though. I also forgot how annoying BW is before you can go to 70.

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

That's fine. I guess you're just losers then.

Take off your fungi while bandaging. Also take off your hp gear until you get to 50%, then put it back on when you get to 50. You should end up with more than 50%.

afk/bandito
Nov 19, 2004

perpetually afk....
As soon as they approve the 2nd account for my IP (my roommate plays constantly) I'm in on this. EQ up to Kunark was freaking amazing. Name is Feeta the halfling rog!

afk/bandito fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jul 20, 2012

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
Awesome - they did just put more staff on IP exemptions so let us know how long it takes. Before they were going 4-8 weeks between batches of them so I'm curious to see what turnaround is on them now.

Also, don't be afraid to holla at the goons in the 2nd post if you see them online and need help with starting cash or a port etc.

TouchToneDialing
Jul 21, 2006

Just got an IP exemption in two days. Get them while they are quick.

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Does anyone here play on ezserver? I tried p99 and found that I can't stand being a newbie again, so I switched to ez and never looked back.

afk/bandito
Nov 19, 2004

perpetually afk....

Awesome - they did just put more staff on IP exemptions so let us know how long it takes. Before they were going 4-8 weeks between batches of them so I'm curious to see what turnaround is on them now.

Also, don't be afraid to holla at the goons in the 2nd post if you see them online and need help with starting cash or a port etc.

Less than 24 hours for mine.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

Well how do you like that, took me less than 2 hours to get a Raster once I finally found the camp open. Sure he almost killed me but I did it! Bandages used 0

Xodi
May 20, 2004

Xodi is.. alien dinosaur? wtf?! (thanks OMG ITZ JAMES)

Lakedaimon posted:

Well how do you like that, took me less than 2 hours to get a Raster once I finally found the camp open. Sure he almost killed me but I did it! Bandages used 0

I spent an inordinate amount of time waiting for that jerk to spawn on live. Glad it wasn't too bad of an affair for ya!

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
drat, Raster and IP exemptions in no time at all; life is good on P99.

aparmenideanmonad fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Jul 22, 2012

TouchToneDialing
Jul 21, 2006

I seriously think raster spawns more on this server than on live. Iv done it three times and I didnt spend more than a few hours each go.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
Some shakeups in the staff recently - Amelinda is gone and Sirken is the new lead GM. He was the lead GM of the red server for awhile and I've heard mostly good things about him, so I'm somewhat hopeful!

There hasn't been an official statement about any of this aside from updating the GM roster here: http://www.project1999.org/index.php?pageid=about so speculation has been fairly wild. I have no idea if any of the crazy stuff being said about this situation is true, but I do know that Amelinda was a good guide who was the only one available to take over as GM last fall...and then unfortunately turned out to be pretty bad at it. That's enough of an explanation for me, especially considering how long overdue her replacement is.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Heh, the drama around Amelinda being gone is hilarious.

She has children and is separated, and was dating Tiggles (14 year age gap). Internet dating that is, however that works. They broke up, then she wanted to kill herself, and she's no longer GM.

A lot of the problems on P99 stem from it being the only social interaction for a small group of adults. It's their entire life. It's kinda sad.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

Does anyone here play on ezserver? I tried p99 and found that I can't stand being a newbie again, so I switched to ez and never looked back.

No, what's it like? The more I play EQMac or p99 the more I realize my goal is to explore the game world I was always in awe of, and less to spend 200 hours hitting the level cap.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007
Sweet ghost of Thor's harlot!

I have been quad kiting on my not-a-loving-druid character since Thursday and went from level 41 to 46 in 3 days of moderate gaming. I literally blew through level 45 in 5-6 hours of game play.

I feel like I'm playing a Korean MMO.

This makes it near impossible for me to log into my Ogre SK.

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

boho posted:

No, what's it like? The more I play EQMac or p99 the more I realize my goal is to explore the game world I was always in awe of, and less to spend 200 hours hitting the level cap.

The EZ stands for "extended zones." Basically the point is to level up to 70 as fast as possible and then start doing the custom end-game content and quests. The lower levels are designed to go extremely fast (i got my warrior to 70 in about a day, no powerleveling) Multi-boxing isn't frowned upon, so I have my very own 6 man army, and be warned that most people box but there is still a pretty healthy community. All of the old zones up to Planes of Power are working as well, in case you want to get all nostalgic.

afk/bandito
Nov 19, 2004

perpetually afk....

Some shakeups in the staff recently - Amelinda is gone and Sirken is the new lead GM. He was the lead GM of the red server for awhile and I've heard mostly good things about him, so I'm somewhat hopeful!

He helped me out in Befallen yesterday. The GM that first showed up said he couldn't help because I was technically not stuck - I was just locked behind the doors. Seemed pretty nice.

afk/bandito fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jul 24, 2012

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!"

afk/bandito posted:

He helped me out in Befallen yesterday. The GM that first showed up said he couldn't help because I was technically not stuck - I was just locked behind the doors. Seemed pretty nice.

Befallen and Najena have locked more players inside their dungeon walls that I'd care to count. Really cool of him to respond to the petition.

I'm feeling pretty optimistic that Sirken will give this a good shot. Being a GM or developer on a free server is a thankless job, and it's nice to hear that he's starting off to be a moderate new face on the server.

Pillow Armadillo fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jul 24, 2012

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

Where's Velous? any word? by Christmas?

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Elephunk posted:

Where's Velous? any word? by Christmas?

No word, noone knows. I've heard they're looking for help on quests and that stuff.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007

xZAOx posted:

She has children and is separated, and was dating Tiggles (14 year age gap). Internet dating that is, however that works. They broke up, then she wanted to kill herself, and she's no longer GM.

I need pictures.

afk/bandito
Nov 19, 2004

perpetually afk....
Wow.

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004
The engine, code A855, has a cast iron closed deck block and split crankcase. It uses an 8.1:1 compression ratio with Mahle cast eutectic aluminum alloy pistons, forged connecting rods with cracked caps and threaded-in 9 mm rod bolts, and a cast high

moolchaba posted:

I need pictures.

She looked like an over weight white woman with thinning red hair.

Maybe I will come back at the end of summer. Bitch was a total B.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

boho posted:

Honestly, I'd recommend live for that. You can get to 60 in like 2 days, grab defiant gear cheaply from the bazaar or the goon guild bank (which is completely retarded stats, mind you), and easily explore almost all of Old Norrath - only some raid zones would give you issues. The REALLY old zones unfortunately have been revamped - just zones from launch I believe, but it's not like they're terribly interesting or were hard to explore in the first place. But Kunark and Velious are 100% untouched last I checked.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

xZAOx posted:

A lot of the problems on P99 stem from it being the only social interaction for a small group of adults. It's their entire life. It's kinda sad.

Nerds, love & EQ. It really is '99 all over again.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

boho posted:

I'd go play on the Test server. Completely free gold membership, all the vet rewards, double xp... Perfect for leveling quick and exploring at will. It's a ghost town so pretty much every boss/dragon/etc will be spawned waiting for you to kick their rear end.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

xZAOx posted:

Honestly, I'd recommend live for that. You can get to 60 in like 2 days, grab defiant gear cheaply from the bazaar or the goon guild bank (which is completely retarded stats, mind you), and easily explore almost all of Old Norrath - only some raid zones would give you issues. The REALLY old zones unfortunately have been revamped - just zones from launch I believe, but it's not like they're terribly interesting or were hard to explore in the first place. But Kunark and Velious are 100% untouched last I checked.

It's not even that bad; there are tons of classic zones that haven't been touched at all aside from lots of extra NPCs and the odd portal to new expansions. I'd say about 80% of the old zones retain their geometry, textures, and NPCs - LFay/Gfay, The Karanas, Kith, Feerrott, Rathe Mountains, Lake Rathe, Everfrost, BB, Dagnor's, OOT, and almost every old dungeon. As for the remaining 20%, some just had texture updates and the geology smoothed; I can really only think of Freeport and Plane of Hate as zones that were completely overhauled, both with geometry and NPCs.

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!"

Pilsner posted:

I can really only think of Freeport and Plane of Hate as zones that were completely overhauled, both with geometry and NPCs.

Don't forget Clan Runnyeye - although that's a zone that should've been revamped before Classic went Live. What a terrible rush job by the original developers for a lowbie dungeon.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
Live versions of Paw, South Karana, Cazic Thule, The Feerrott, Kithicor (though this is already changed on P99 too), Lesser Faydark, Guk, Innothule, and Grobb are also different from their classic counterparts as far as mobs/content if I'm remembering things correctly.

I understand the whole exploring thing, but honestly part of what makes P99 awesome to me is that the zones and their contents are pretty darn close to what they were on live, and so are my and other people's characters that are doing the exploring. Nostalgia is part of it but so is seeing a game-world being occupied by other people in the way it was originally designed to be.

If you just want to roam around and look at the zones, there's much faster ways than leveling up a character on some server - fire up the zone explorer or put up your own emu server so you have all the GM/admin commands at your fingertips.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007
EverQuest - Godmode.

That sounds fun for maybe a couple hours.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

TouchToneDialing posted:

I seriously think raster spawns more on this server than on live. Iv done it three times and I didnt spend more than a few hours each go.

Fine just pee all over my good fortune why dont you?

I remember the first time I camped Raster on live for the idol and it took me I think 7 hours before he popped. I was never a huge poopsocker, so that was probably my longest eq session back then, and I was telling a friend about it, who immediately began to heap abuse on me. We were going to hang out once and I was trying to get a Ssra emperor raid finished up before he came over. Of course we had to wait on slow people and the raid ran over. He had to sit and watch me finish the raid for about 45 minutes and gave me a ton of crap about it. Other than this incident, there was only like one occasion where I actually blew off hanging out with my friends for EQ.

Fast forward to today. He discovered WoW in like 2007 and promptly sank 400+ days of his life into it. If he has the next day off work he will play whatever MMO he is currently into until like 8am the next morning, or until he passes out in his computer chair whatever comes first. He no longer has any other “offline” friends and never socializes with anyone outside of work. Ill foolishly try to get lunch or something on his days off once in a while but it usually dosent work out since im not willing to wait until he wakes up at 4:30 in the afternoon. He did find a girlfriend, but she has absolutely zero redeeming qualities, unless you consider having no other prospects and therefore a high tolerance for MMOs a big plus. He will now spend more time grinding reputation or running the same instances over and over again than I ever did at Raster on virtually a daily basis. All for a vanity pet or a different colored mount or whatever so he can impress his harem of online boyfriends.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Live versions of Paw, South Karana, Cazic Thule, The Feerrott, Kithicor (though this is already changed on P99 too), Lesser Faydark, Guk, Innothule, and Grobb are also different from their classic counterparts as far as mobs/content if I'm remembering things correctly.

Paw has totally new NPCs. Rather boring, but a great grinding spot
CT has new NPCs, was revamped back in 2001 or 2002
Grobb got changed, but wasn't there an event where the trolls took it back?
Innothule got that texture/geometry overhaul, and probably some new NPCs

The rest you mentioned are 99% the same, though. Guk retains everything from ye olde days, just has a few extra quest NPCs. SK still has all those weird NPCs and rare spawn cycles. Kith still has the day/night undead cycle. Feerrott is the same, they just made a "new feerrott" zone for the HoT expansion.

I still know what you mean, seeing it all in its original state is cool (IMO it's even more cool on EQMac since it's frozen in time), but the amount of changed zones is really low compared to what some people might think.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007

If you are going to talk about different emu servers, can you at least reference the particular server your talking about in every post that has nothing to do with the p99 server?

Faglords.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

moolchaba posted:

If you are going to talk about different emu servers, can you at least reference the particular server your talking about in every post that has nothing to do with the p99 server?

Faglords.

Read the very first word of the post he's quoting. They're talking about EQ Live.

• Locked thread