Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM
Question:

Do stats actually matter in this game?

I played a Shaman circa 1999-2001 and I remember getting the distinct feeling that all those agility/dexterity/strength/charisma/stamina buffs did virtually nothing. Maybe stamina slightly buffed HP?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

Another question for you guys, is it frowned upon or illegal to buy PP?

I don't have a ton of time, so I wouldn't mind dropping some RL cash to someone who poopsocks this game 24/7 but doesn't have a job for some plat.

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

xZAOx posted:

Illegal? Eh, no idea, I'm not a lawyer. You won't go to jail for it regardless, not realistically.

But is it allowed on the server? Absolutely not. If you get caught, you'll get banned.

Oh that's what I meant. I didn't see it on the 1999 wiki, I must have missed it. Thankyou.

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

Loving this. It's nothing like some low pop emulated server of other games - this game is teeming with people all over the place and is very active.

It's basically like playing a live EQ server around 2000-2001 which was on the lower end of population (but still very populated, just not quite as bloated as say Veeshan)

And frankly I'm amazed at how enjoyable this game is after all these years. I always thought I could never go back after playing WoW, but I'm hooked again.

If only SOE would make a remake of EQ1 keeping the vast majority of mechanics intact so that the game still feels like EQ, with art clearly modeled after EQ1 instead of the plastic crap they have on live/EQ2.

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

Republicans posted:

EQ2 is pretty terrible.

Its like a shittier wow with none of the things about eq that made eq good

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

texasmed posted:

I'm up to level 12 on the blue server, not quite sure where the server normally goes for exp spots since north ro looked pretty empty. Send me tells in-game if you want to partner up!

Befallen has been packed lately. From what I"ve seen people kinda scatter about in various outdoor zones but most people seem to chase after those ZEM modifiers in the dungeons.

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

I'm telling you guys befallen is where it's at right now - the ZEM there is insane and it's good from about level 7 all the way up to 16-17ish.

The only real problem is that CR can sometimes be tricky if you die past the keyed doors, but it's been so busy lately that it hasn't been a huge issue, and of course the PH for Paw of Opalla quest hangs out near the entrance and can be really high level.

Oh, if you're thinking about playing on red

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

If they had followed the RZ rules from classic that wouldn't be a problem because item loot meant nobody really wanted to risk that fungi

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

RZ wasn't full item loot - early on you could loot weapons but they quickly changed that.

You could loot one equippable item if it wasn't NO DROP

This put a lot of value on NO DROP items. It sucked losing valuable stuff to some gank you didn't see coming, but people were quick to bag their stuff, and it prevented a lot of bullshit like fungi twinks.

Also because the item loss was such a big problem the population policed themselves. Rogue PKs were quickly KOS to the whole server, as were PK guilds. Looking back it was interesting how carebear RZ was - it was pretty much like blue, but you could resolve disputes with PVP instead of FTE nonsense.

oswald ownenstein fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jul 21, 2015

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

Tashan Dorrsett posted:

RZ was better, but I'm sorry red server is still better than blue server even if you just want to kill dragons. It's a lot more fun when things are settled with violence instead of variance and petitions. Yeah it's a topsided pvp server that's been stuck on kunark since forever, but for the most part bored people who play fungi pvp twinks are also lazy so they tend to stick to crushbone/mm/unrest. There's other places to level in Everquest.

Honestly red server sucks just because the population is toxic and the tiny

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

Also apparently resists are completely hosed on red and not at all classic - high resist means you're fully resisting nukes with no secondary component, which never happened on rallos zek.

Full resists were like some basic 5% chance, otherwise you just got partials most of the time.

Running around with 150 MR meant you pretty much never got rooted or stunned or snared, but you sure as poo poo took partial and full damage from magic based nukes, and stinging swarm / necro dots always landed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

Blue has an extremely active population right now especially at the lower levels. The only empty zone I've been in so far was Runnyeye...and that zone was always completely empty even back in '99

Unrest has been packed with 15-20 people ... Mistmoore same, Befallen same, it's night and day compared to a few years ago.

Great time to start playing.

oswald ownenstein fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jul 31, 2015

• Locked thread