Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx
anyone still play red?
<--- HEY VAPER regeg (Hardon Collider, Robocop, Anime Sucks etc)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx
Anyone still play on p99 red? I have a ton of low-50's characters and I'm leveling a new paladin if anyone still plays on here.

Lakedaimon posted:

Sigh im getting alt fever again and now I want to make a SK. I probably won't play the character all that actively until the hybrid xp penalty vanishes a month into Velious, but I wanted to make sure I got a pre-nerf Circlet of Shadow and ive been picking up some dirt cheap gear. I could buy a RBG, Ebon Mace, Atra shield etc, but I think thats a bit overkill. So I got a sword of skyfire for like levels 1-20, and a mithril two-hander for 20+. I guess maybe if I make it to the 40s I can consider that higher end stuff and start swapping out Darkforge armor for the Blood Ember stuff once I can use it to cast spells.

But my biggest debate is race. A Dark Elf is cooler looking (and I could try to bogart a shield from a General fight in Kithicor), but the min-maxer in me is thinking Ogre all the way.

Race hardly matters at all, especially after Velious comes out. Ogre clearly has an advantage in Kunark, but it can be pretty much be assumed that you will max out STR/STA in Velious and if anything it's harder to get dex/agi. I'm not too familiar with SK's, but I do know that for warriors, halfling becomes the best min/max warrior race in Velious (stats wise, hidesneak vs regen vs stun immunity is debatable)

Well, actually it does a little bit. Don't roll a troll on red server.

edit: Gear wise you really don't need a whole lot until you're 50+ and committed to the character. The only items that you need are Jboots and CoS; you could comfortably hit 55+ in full bronze and that mithril two-hander. Art shield, MR, and a jousting weapon are nice to have if you're on red server, but even then they're not really necessary.

Tashan Dorrsett fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jun 8, 2015

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx
Well I just experienced something pretty meta. I logged in on my bard on top of a 6 man group immediately to get backstabbed by a rogue on the loading screen, so I did what any good bard would do in an outdoor dungeon: ran around with selos and harassed their healers with my dots knowing there was nothing they could do about it. I did this for about a half hour, which obviously led to several mobs aggroing me while I kited the rogue. This is when it gets weird.

One of the out-of-range players during this time, got the bright idea to alt+tab, turn FRAPS on, and then intentionally let another out-of-range player in the group get to low HP so that the mobs I was kiting would aggro him and kill him. Then all 6 players in the group reported me for training. Luckily they were idiots and sent a bunch of incriminating tells about how much they trolled me so I'm not actually worried about getting my bard banned, but yeah i guess this is what pvp is on red server now.

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

One thing I just do not understand about Red, is that why everyone so eager to everyone else banned from the server?

these same exact players like clockwork will always whine about the low population and lack of groups

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx

Hexel posted:

Monk was fun for me for a longass time then it got to be painful around level 55 so I retired his rear end and am playing both and ench and a shaman right now :unsmith:

make a bard, learn to swarm kite, and hit 50's at lighting speed. then farm stuff with it and make the monk you want when you have platinum.

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx
lol some guy on p99 had a mental breakdown, attacked a woman and her dog with a mace :stare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1y48ITnS1jk

Eptar posted:

Raptors in TD definitely seemed faster, I was sowed and should have been strafing in a wide enough circle but they caught me and wrecked me.

Movement speed on every mob in the game is broken right now. Some mobs can outrun my level 50 bard with selo's drum. DoT's are also not ticking the correct amount, which had the odd side effect of breaking every single offensive bard song in the game. There's no reason to even log in if you're a bard -- charm kiting is broken, fear kiting is broken, swarm kiting is broken, and you can't lull or mez for groups anymore.

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx
Anyone still on red server? I have a static trio that's about to hit 50+ and it's going to be time to roll a new round of alts soon. We're going to be powerleveling and bard swarming, so if anyone feels like AFKing their way to level ~45 you're more than welcome to join.

Also joined the red server <TMO> the other day and I'm digging this guild quite a bit. Much chiller environment than empire/goog guys/whatever. Two weeks on the server from level 1 and they're doing cleric epics and planar raids.

Oh also everyone on red still thinks I'm yevea for some reason

Tashan Dorrsett fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Jun 21, 2015

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx
re: boxing, you're actually allowed to play on red and blue at the same time, which means you can be doing tunnelquest while playing on red server. you'd be a fool to try farming to get rich on blue, if you want to make blue plat quickly farm on red server and trade your plat over to blue. less camp competition, better camp rules, red plat is worth 3-4x as much, and you can be making plat as a tunnel rat at the same time. if you farm on a character deleveled to 49 or less you will never have to deal with pvp.

edit: yes, this does mean that one ancient cyclops camp on red gets you 15-20k on blue

you will eventually get banned for box xferring items, it has happened to several people i know.

Tashan Dorrsett fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jun 22, 2015

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx

a real jerk posted:

What's the schedule like for this? I don't play red much these days but hey a free character!

We typically start at ~8-9pm pacific and go all night, and AFKing/sleeping is more than fine if you throw me a phone number to wake you up at the end of the night or if you get PVP griefed. Right now we're at level 45 on our last batch of alts and we're not going to start until we hit low to mid 50's and farm a bit, so it'll probably happen sometime around the weekend or next week. Even if you don't have the patience to sit around for the whole ride to 50, show up on the first day and I'll get you to at least 25. We're teaching a new swarm kiter this time around so it may be a little slow going at first, but hey it's probably one of your last chances to get PL'd since the dev's have been talking about taking swarm kiting out of the game in the near future.

quote:

I never knew this after playing for over a year and it really makes want to roll a red character.

re: I have 3 open powerlevel spots next round :)

Tashan Dorrsett fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Jun 22, 2015

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx
Seems like there's a lot of interest! Since the timing is going to be tentatively "sometime next week" the best way to organize this will be to send a tell to me on red (Hardon, Robocop, Blackzilla, Anime, Naix) with the code word "potato chips" and your cell phone number if you want to get a text when it's happening. No exact promises/guarantees on the timing, except that I promise you'll be 50 before Velious. Priority is first come first served, starts from level 1, pickups at any druid ring (please don't be in Qeynos area) and I will post on here around when it's happening. You may catch me AFK swarming, so if you don't get a tell back try me again later.

edit: oh yeah are froglok illusion pots worth anything on blue, I'm abandoning blue but not really sure if they're worth enough to bother xferring.

Tashan Dorrsett fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Jun 22, 2015

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx

GLUFRU posted:

Sounds like a plan, I'm gonna try to get in on this as well. Never rolled on red before, is it worth going tank/rogue/cleric and hope to find groups post 50 or is it better to stick with a class that can solo?

I suggest just playing what you like, but keep in mind you'll have a hard time getting your feet on the ground with certain classes because the gear costs a lot and they don't have any decent ways to farm. The server pop is pretty low so it also helps a lot to have a port character. I highly recommend rolling a character to farm with before rolling certain classes (war, sk, monk namely) but if you're particularly masochistic you can make it happen. Druid's the best character for this if you can stand playing one. EXP comes surprisingly fast on red server, and rolling characters like level 40 throwaway druids to give the info out and have your friends port you around on doesn't even really take a lot of time to do. Any leveling before 50 is a cakewalk on here.

By the way, powerlevel got delayed a bit, probably until next week unless my static trio burns out on 50+ leveling. I'm not the one doing the bard swarming this round, just a recipient, but I'll do my best to keep you all posted. It will happen I promise <3

Limiting factor/main reason for the delay being that we keep breaking the Dreadlands and Burning Woods zones slowing down our 50-60 push and attracting PK twink macroquest users who don't appreciate the fact that we're breaking the Dreadlands every night.

Tashan Dorrsett fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Jun 24, 2015

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx
Latege do you still play? I need something like 6 or 8 of the magic resist bracers for my alts and my friends could probably use a few sets as well. shoot a tell to anime/robocop/hardon/blackzilla if you see me online!

By the way if anyone on red is wondering where goons are playing, I've been in <TMO> since they moved over from blue and I've had nothing but awesome times with these guys. They're still in the leveling phase and I don't think there are any recruitment requirements, but in just a week on the server we already have 60's and are doing planar raids. The 'sperg is minimal and now's the time to get in because we're planning on shutting down recruitment soon but there's zero requirements right now. We don't really need numbers or anything, I'm just pimping the guild out because it's the only guild on red I have had more than a miserable experience in short of <SLAMDUNKATRON> (RIP)

Also red players feel free to message me any time for ports and stuff and if I'm not in the middle of something I never mind helping out.

Tashan Dorrsett fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Jun 25, 2015

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx
my everquest character is finally a reflection of my true self, a neckbeard with a wakizashi (heh;; you thought i was going to say katana)

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx

Gray Matter posted:

I have no interest in playing Everquest PVP (let's be real, the game wasn't designed for or balanced around it), but I've got a serious alt problem on blue server that requires funding and I've heard 3:1 red to blue plat exchanges is the way to go.

I'm not 100% sure how the exp on red works but I've heard it's a big bonus - realistically how much playtime would it take me to level an enchanter or necro to ~50ish on red and begin farming my face off?

Not very much. Experienced altaholics and people who get lucky with being in the right place at the right time can get 50+ in mere days. Protip: you can double box red and blue, which means you can be playing on the good, fun server while you afk tunnel baron and siphon funds across servers to yourself. I think technically it's not allowed to run auction alerts, but you could always just use 2 screens.

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx

oswald ownenstein posted:

RZ wasn't full item loot - early on you could loot weapons but they quickly changed that.

You could loot one equippable item if it wasn't NO DROP

This put a lot of value on NO DROP items. It sucked losing valuable stuff to some gank you didn't see coming, but people were quick to bag their stuff, and it prevented a lot of bullshit like fungi twinks.

Also because the item loss was such a big problem the population policed themselves. Rogue PKs were quickly KOS to the whole server, as were PK guilds. Looking back it was interesting how carebear RZ was - it was pretty much like blue, but you could resolve disputes with PVP instead of FTE nonsense.

RZ was better, but I'm sorry red server is still better than blue server even if you just want to kill dragons. It's a lot more fun when things are settled with violence instead of variance and petitions. Yeah it's a topsided pvp server that's been stuck on kunark since forever, but for the most part bored people who play fungi pvp twinks are also lazy so they tend to stick to crushbone/mm/unrest. There's other places to level in Everquest.

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx

ekeog posted:

Yeah, PVP* outside of the twinks in four or five leveling zones is pretty fun

*stalking people until you can safely murder them by surprise

It can admittedly be a bit discouraging when you're new to the server, until you figure out that hey even though I don't give a poo poo about PVP it's not a bad idea to walk around in magic resist gear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx

Ramulack posted:

How large was the Red99 Goon guild when it was a thing? Just how large of a presence do they have in Red99?

I've been playing blue for months but every once in awhile I have the urge to try red. On one hand the leveling bonus and uncontested mobs is really appealing but on the other-hand I have concerns about not really knowing how I feel about PvP in a game never designed for PvP as well as being able to find / get to groups if I roll a group desired class (to take advantage of that bonus).

The red 99 guild used to be 30-50% of the server pop or more at any given time. Now I think it's just Zaxar in TMO, Slugg in Empire, Agatha's brother who might still be in TMO and I (in TMO) unless there's some goons I'm forgetting about.

Pratan posted:

How are they on the batphoning and poopsocking? I will do neither of these things, but would like to see endgame on one of my 235789234570983 characters.

Batphones are a thing, how else would you organize raids in Everquest? TMO's pretty good about balancing being a serious and casual guild, which played a large role in why I joined. They're pretty cool about people having lives and jobs and stuff, so long as you make someone aware that's why you have lovely raid attendance and put effort into keeping up with the guild (leveling, gearing in dungeons etc) if you just don't show up to things and nobody knows why, yeah you'll probably end up being kicked, they have over 300 applicants to sort through.

Yeah if you're sitting around on an alt or playing hearthstone on teamspeak with your thumb up your rear end when a batphone goes out you might get the boot, but nobody's going to get upset if you're at your job or something. TMO has zero issues with making numbers.

We also give loot priority to people in asia/euro timezones when two players with similar dkp/attendance/loot history want the same item, which is pretty cool.

Ramulack posted:

Which classes do you see lacking in the Red99 raid scene?

I always thought since PVP changes the dynamic of what people want to play that classes would have a different representation than on blue

There are never enough warriors, clerics, and rogue MAINS (there are plenty of rogue alts on the server.) Magicians are also severely under-represented because they suck in PVP, but are absolutely vital to raids (modrods, CotH) in general though, play what you want. Red isn't like blue where you won't find any groups or feel unneeded if you play a Necromancer or something. Groups are way easier to find on red, nobody cares what class you play as long as the group has the basics needed to kill mobs, and classes which aren't very useful to have more than one or two of in PvE are still great to have around in raids for PvP (shadowknights etc)

quote:

That said, I'm still listed as an applicant and not a full member yet. From what I can gather about earning permanent member status, you go through an extensive vetting process where the officers expect you to at least try to progress. That means leveling when you can and showing up to what raids you can, but it does not mean poopsock all the time and wake up at odd hours for every raid. At least, that is what leadership has pitched. As I have not passed the vetting process yet, I am not sure how long it takes. I don't really let it bother me though, and so far I've made a ton of friends in the guild and officers have told me "we think you're doing very well." Despite being applicant status, TMO has showered me with more items and group invites than I could have ever hoped for. I thought for sure I would be locked out of those sorts of things until achieving full member status, but that just isn't the case. They are all really fun, motivated, and helpful people.

Spot on. TMO does have a rather extensive vetting process and it usually takes a couple months to make member (probably longer now that there's so many apps) but being an applicant doesn't make you a second-rate citizen in the guild. Cliqueyness is kept to a minimum, and we've even kicked top players on the server out because of that. It's more about your personality, how you fit in, how you react to loot decisions, etc than how many 60's you have and how many hours you can raid.

Tashan Dorrsett fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Aug 1, 2015

• Locked thread