Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

Sakurazuka posted:

The moon is the easy part, he said he was going to Mars to stay one step ahead.

I would agree with you if the it weren't for the OP lyrics. They clearly state "Feel So Moon." Therefore, I think they're all going to the moon. Mars is likely out of the question.

Also, his aunt's telescope is only ever focused on the moon.

My prediction is he'll make it through the interviews and tests but each time he'll be sweating bullets. It'll be the things that happen to him along the way that are intersting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Dan7el posted:

I would agree with you if the it weren't for the OP lyrics. They clearly state "Feel So Moon." Therefore, I think they're all going to the moon. Mars is likely out of the question.

Also, his aunt's telescope is only ever focused on the moon.

My prediction is he'll make it through the interviews and tests but each time he'll be sweating bullets. It'll be the things that happen to him along the way that are intersting.

I'm definitely sure the real meat of the story is the actual astronaut work, and all this is just setup. Look at the OP for example, it gives you all those shots of un-introduced characters around the JAXA base.

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

Rexides posted:

However, I could be proven wrong soon, but if it turns out to be a smooth ride all the way to the Moon, I will be disappointed.

Also: ancient aliens.

Awesome first episode with many absolutely lovely details. (Like the father finally speaking the first words at the end, and them being completely banal. :3:)

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
This is the best drat show. It's such a joy to watch!
I just wish Sawashiro wasn't playing multiple roles.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice
Very :3: episode, I didn't even realizing that I had this big giant stupid smile on my face watching the scene with Walking in on Serika trying to see herself in the reflection of the spacesuit.

Hortism
Oct 25, 2010

This show is just excellent. Mutta is so drat likable that you can't help but root for him.
Here's hoping it can keep it up.

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
This series has such an amazing, offbeat charm. And the slight absurdity the atmosphere has just adds to it.

Hortism posted:

This show is just excellent. Mutta is so drat likable that you can't help but root for him.

Yeah, seriously. During the lung capacity test I was totally chanting "Mutta! Mutta!" in my head. I had a huge smile on my face during the reflection scenes, too.

This show is just a huge ball of :3:. I love it.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
It just gets better and better. Mutta's a great protagonist and I like how the side characters are developing.

Kenji looks like the guy from Gallery Fake.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
I need episode 4 already. I need it. I need it now. :(

Miles Vorkosigan
Mar 21, 2007

The stuff that dreams are made of.
Finally saw episode 3, don't have much to say about it except I loved the reference (well, more like a shot for shot remake) of the lung capacity test from The Right Stuff. They even had the nurse with the horn-rimmed glasses! :3:

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I feel like nearly nothing happened in the fourth episode. Like three things happened, and only two were of any real consequence.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Yeah, it was definitely weaker than the others. Still not a bad watch, but it didn't make me grin as often, nor laugh so freely.

I do think that next week's NASA visit is going to have a lot more incident, though.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

I'm not sure what to take of this last episode. Speculation==>With the images from the opening and ending themes, we see the brothers together, but Mutta is in a business suit (instead of a space suit) and he has a dog (for some reason, every time I see him holding the leash I think he has a cane instead of a dog). I always wondered if these images were proof Mutta made it into the space program or if it was something else. With this episode, I'm thinking it is something else. He's going to be part of the friends and family program and just end up staying there but not be in the program. He won't make the cut. I wonder what kind of shampoo Mutta uses?

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Dark and Lovely.

Valsu
Jan 2, 2006

I'm loving this series. It'll probably be my favorite of the season. It feels like a slightly darker Planetes to me.

Pitch
Jun 16, 2005

しらんけど

Valsu posted:

I'm loving this series. It'll probably be my favorite of the season. It feels like a slightly darker Planetes to me.
Unless there's one hell of a plot twist in store this show isn't darker than Wonder Bread.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Valsu posted:

It feels like a slightly darker Planetes to me.

Not sure which Planetes you watched, but that poo poo got loving grim towards the end.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I'm seriously not seeing how anyone can call this show 'dark', especially compared to Planetes. Dark compared to what?

Where's the darkness in Space Bros? It's a comedy drama to me.

Chas McGill fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Apr 24, 2012

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

Chas McGill posted:

I'm seriously not seeing how anyone can call this show 'dark', especially compared to Planetes. Dark compared to what?

Try to see it as the story of a cellphone.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
The cellphone is going to become a recurring motif symbolising Mutta's alienation from reality and eventual psychosis. Cain and Abel twist up ahead, surely.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Yeah, I never saw Space Bro's as a dark show at all. It's all very "FOLLOW YOUR DREAMS!" ~inspiring music plays here~ show.

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum

Dan7el posted:

I wonder what kind of shampoo Mutta uses?

Actually, Mutta's kind of an idiot genius insofar as he noticed that his different hairtype causes a much higher degree of (science goes here) when washed/rinsed. If he had been less of a twit I'd argue that his answer would have been pretty drat solid.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

The Black Stones posted:

Yeah, I never saw Space Bro's as a dark show at all. It's all very "FOLLOW YOUR DREAMS!" ~inspiring music plays here~ show.

*doo-doo-doodooo-doo*

It's basically one of those kids shows but with a relatable adult cast and less shrieking.

Valsu
Jan 2, 2006

Chas McGill posted:

I was comparing the beginnings of each show. Planetes opens with a screw smashing into the side of a passenger ship. Sad? Sure. But that show doesn't immediately launch into individual character issues like Space Brothers did. For me, there wasn't an immediate personal connection to the characters. That wasn't established for me until a few episodes later when Hachimaki's dream of owning his own ship was revealed.

In Space Brothers, Mutta is already behind his successful younger brother. He's lost his job, he's sinking into depression, and his parents don't want him at home any more. I guess it's because I can relate to Mutta's desperation in the first episode having been in a similar situation myself in years past, but it felt a little darker and more personal than Planetes did this many episode in.

Maybe "dark" wasn't the best word to use to convey my thoughts in my earlier post, but it made the most sense to me.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Valsu posted:

I was comparing the beginnings of each show. Planetes opens with a screw smashing into the side of a passenger ship. Sad? Sure. But that show doesn't immediately launch into individual character issues like Space Brothers did. For me, there wasn't an immediate personal connection to the characters. That wasn't established for me until a few episodes later when Hachimaki's dream of owning his own ship was revealed.

In Space Brothers, Mutta is already behind his successful younger brother. He's lost his job, he's sinking into depression, and his parents don't want him at home any more. I guess it's because I can relate to Mutta's desperation in the first episode having been in a similar situation myself in years past, but it felt a little darker and more personal than Planetes did this many episode in.

Maybe "dark" wasn't the best word to use to convey my thoughts in my earlier post, but it made the most sense to me.

Might just be more how it relates to yourself. In Mutta's case there is a clear path out right from the beginning. It's tough, but he's doing it and has support while he does so.

In Planetes Hachimaki ended up getting to where he wanted to go while sacrificing all of his personal and professional relationships only to seek redemption at the end. I felt like it was way more negative overall.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:
Well Planetes starts off more about the character and becomes more about the state of humanity and inequality of the world. It was bound to get much much darker.

As for this show, sure it starts off a bit depressing but it's more focused on the strides Mutta makes to become somewhere after dropping down to nothing so it can really only go upwards in mood.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

A friend of mine described the show as the anime equivalent to Parks and Rec in terms of how good it makes him feel. I am very inclined to agree. Feel-good show of the season :3:

Pitch
Jun 16, 2005

しらんけど
I don't see how anyone can find Space Brothers depressing at any point, even if you are unemployed and living with your parents. The only thing that's played remotely straight is his desire to be an astronaut and even that struggles to go thirty seconds without an afro joke. He got fired for headbutting his boss like he saw in a youtube video. That's not serious at all even leaving aside the comparison to a show where dozens of people die in scene one.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
It's a "serious" show in that it relates more to the real world and is less futurist than Planetes, but how you can see it as a serious and dark show by comparison to Planetes is hysterical. Planetes is bleak as gently caress at times. Space Brothers has been nothing but screaming "bootstraps and optimism", all while being silly and light.

That's not necessarily a bad thing by any stretch of the meaning, but still.

Daedalus1134
Sep 14, 2005

They see me rollin'

Pitch posted:

I don't see how anyone can find Space Brothers depressing at any point, even if you are unemployed and living with your parents. The only thing that's played remotely straight is his desire to be an astronaut and even that struggles to go thirty seconds without an afro joke. He got fired for headbutting his boss like he saw in a youtube video. That's not serious at all even leaving aside the comparison to a show where dozens of people die in scene one.

I'm sure there are a lot of goons that had some childhood dream that could have potentially been realized with perseverance that wasn't there.

DepressedGoons posted:

I wish I had a brother/friend/rival with a similar dream to keep me focused on what I want to do with my life...

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Trailer for live action movie, contains what I assume to be spoilers for main series so caution

Hahaha, holy poo poo I'm definitely watching this.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

pandaK posted:

Trailer for live action movie, contains what I assume to be spoilers for main series so caution

Hahaha, holy poo poo I'm definitely watching this.

That looks pretty drat awesome.
(Speculation based on trailer) Looks like Hibito gets into an accident on the moon, gets killed in action? Mutta fights to have his body recovered? No clue.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Haha. That loving dog. Apo steals pretty much any scene he's in.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Well considering now that they made the Apollo 13 movie connection, maybe things could go in a darker/more dramatic direction?

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

AnacondaHL posted:

Well considering now that they made the Apollo 13 movie connection, maybe things could go in a darker/more dramatic direction?

Well, I wouldn't say that's completely out of the question.

The live action trailer sheds some light on future events is all I'm saying.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

AnacondaHL posted:

I thought that was the movie they were referencing, but I wasn't sure. Is that movie well known in Japan? Or Tom Hanks, for that matter?

cooldude2.0
Oct 12, 2004
Grimey Drawer
This show isn't bad, but if it was a manga it'd be canned after about 15 chapters (basing that on ST&RS getting 25 and Star Children getting 19)

IIRC, Planetes made me cry. I don't see Space Brothers doing that even if it changed tone completely and tried for it. I don't have enough attachment to any of the characters yet to be moved by a hypothetical ultra tragic episode 6. Maybe it's just that I can't relate to having a younger brother/sibling. I want to like this show.

coathat
May 21, 2007

cooldude2.0 posted:

This show isn't bad, but if it was a manga it'd be canned after about 15 chapters (basing that on ST&RS getting 25 and Star Children getting 19)

It is a manga dude. With like 17 volumes and it sells really well. It's just not terrible and boring like those mangas.

coathat fucked around with this message at 01:24 on May 2, 2012

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

It doesn't have to be Planetes though. Other than some hints about tragic happenings in a trailer we don't even know if its going to be a dark or moving story. So far it's pretty light hearted and entertaining. Might just not be that kinda dark moving story in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good_Haro
Mar 14, 2009

Noted shitposter.

cooldude2.0 posted:

Do you have any idea how manga works? I haven't read ST&RS, but it ran in loving Shonen Jump. Space Brothers runs in Morning, a seinen magazine. They have very different demographic profiles, ratings standards and approaches to storytelling.

• Locked thread