Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

You know, all along, Mutta has been kind of a clown. He's just barely managed, somehow, some way, to get picked as an astronaut. They pit him against the likes of Kenji and Serika, and he seems a complete buffoon.

Yet. He's totally not. His little brother, who is an accomplished astronaut, comes to him with a serious problem, and Mutta totally pulls it off. Not only that, but he's headed to the moon ahead of any of his contemporaries.

In a lot of ways, I wish the storyline made Mutta seem more competent from the get-go, but in reality, it wouldn't be as interesting a story if he was. Still, we see this guy, who seems like the underdog, pull it together time and time again, and come out on top, and we cheer.

It's a pretty good show.

In my opinion, Hibito is just a foil for Mutta. We've never seen Hibito fail, but when he finally does, it's Mutta that pulls him through.

And...Pretty Dog my rear end. Those dogs are butt-ugly. Chihuahua's are ugly too, and I own one. And I love her, but she's ugly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

This show celebrates diversity and the cooperation of people from many different cultures... but god drat, the stereotyping can be so bad.

This episode pulled out a trick that has always annoyed me in so many tv shows and movies; hanging a lampshade on characters being annoying does not magically make them more likeable. Saying "offensive Jamaican stereotype guy is loud and annoying" and then winking at the audience in a "but you think he's endearing, right?" way is just stupid. No, no we don't think that. We agree with the characters in the show, he's really annoying. We don't think that fedora douchebag is cool, like the characters in the show, we think he's a douchebag. Likewise for the Michelle Rodriguez clone.

I think literally every character introduced in this episode (including the new training geologist and especially the moon buggy geek) was immensely unlikable and caricature like. Like Mutta, I can't see these people as being the ones whom he goes to the moon with. Ever. No matter how much character development they try to give them.

It's unfortunate, developing cool characters has always been a strength of the show; throwing so many of those characters away (esp. Kenji) and sending these chucklefucks into space with Mutta instead? I really hope the show doesn't go that route.

Arcanen fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Feb 1, 2014

SimplyCosmic
May 18, 2004

It could be worse.

Not sure how, but it could be.
I agree, but it's also a bit annoying that we've seen these same challenges several times before. Still, the show somehow managed to make me like Vince, Furuya and Nitta. I expect we'll see another round of character backstory episodes during this arc.

SimplyCosmic fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Feb 9, 2014

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

drat, even if 93 was ham-fisted, it did manage to get tears out of me. Not a bad episode, although not much happened. The series is great, and the three biggest issues are: The stupid accident on the Moon, racial stereotyping (gently caress, at least give the Jamaican guy some redeemable feature that you wouldn't expect from his characterization), and the god drat pacing.

That being mentioned, how on Earth is this show getting so many episodes? It isn't catering to anything and I can't imagine it having any broad anime appeal. Is it done just to advertise the original works or something? Surely this thing isn't selling much, if at all? Is it airing on some public-paid TV channel? The animation is kind of low key/effort, so I suppose per-episode costs aren't much. Honestly it works because the show is kind of low-key. That being mentioned on episode 88 I was actually impressed by the rain scenes - although it was probably achieved by some filters. (The episode where Hibito confesses about his problem).

What's everyone's opinion about the film? I skimmed it, and I felt it doesn't really communicate the charm of the setting. (Was actually considering watching it with my folks when I was visiting). Mainly because it's missing all those small things the anime has about the inner workings of Mutta, all the heart-breaking scenes, etc.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
I think this is the only episode I've seen (that has that Mr. Hibbit nonsense, anyway) that felt like it was actually the right length. It's pretty surprising.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Dessel posted:

That being mentioned, how on Earth is this show getting so many episodes? It isn't catering to anything and I can't imagine it having any broad anime appeal. Is it done just to advertise the original works or something? Surely this thing isn't selling much, if at all? Is it airing on some public-paid TV channel? The animation is kind of low key/effort, so I suppose per-episode costs aren't much. Honestly it works because the show is kind of low-key. That being mentioned on episode 88 I was actually impressed by the rain scenes - although it was probably achieved by some filters. (The episode where Hibito confesses about his problem).

It's probably to maintain interest in the manga, since I assume the manga still sells fairly well since it's the 17th best-selling manga of 2013, falling short of Bleach and Jojo, but beating out Blue Exorcist and Chihayafuru. I think it's airing in a good timeslot too since it airs right before Detective Conan so that probably helps a lot.

Haven't seen the movie yet due to there being only one sub out there, which seems to be only tolerable rather than your standard fansub quality.

EDIT: Also looks like Crunchyroll has finally filled in all of the manga backlog if you want to jump ahead.

Allarion fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Feb 9, 2014

coathat
May 21, 2007

Crunchyroll finally translated the missing chapters of the manga. I highly recommend reading it.

drat it!

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

It's hilarious how Gates is presented as the "bad guy" for wanting to keep Hibito grounded, when he's the only character thinking rationally about the Hibito situation and could actually save lives by stopping him from going on any more missions. I mean, Hibito was completely incompetent as an astronaut before he developed PTSD and starting having panic attacks whenever he was reminded of space. Then we also have everything thinking Hibito has magically gotten over his PTSD even though he started having an attack when just in the water, surrounded by safety personnel, aware that the problems he was encountering were likely green cards (and this is ignoring that the whole test thing ended prematurely with a complete farce with all his space buddies coming by).

Allowing Hibito to go back into space is insanity. There'd be a very good chance he'd be completely incapable of performing his duties, at best being dead weight and at worst being a danger to the lives of his fellow astronauts. Even if he was operating at 100%, this is a guy who allowed his astronaut buddy to drive full speed into a crater right after they narrowly avoided driving into a crater because they were going too fast to see an upcoming gigantic freaking moon crater.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Which would be all fine and good if Gates didn't attempt to sabotage the exam and use ridiculous metaphors to make his point. Except those two things happen, which makes Gates look completely insane, even while he's making valid points.

EDIT: Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Hibito in the passenger seat when that happened?

King of Solomon fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Mar 9, 2014

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

King of Solomon posted:

Which would be all fine and good if Gates didn't attempt to sabotage the exam and use ridiculous metaphors to make his point. Except those two things happen, which makes Gates look completely insane, even while he's making valid points.

EDIT: Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Hibito in the passenger seat when that happened?

His "sabotaging" of the exam was adding in an extra green card. That Hibito immediately thought that the first issue was a green card, but wasn't completely sure about the second completely validates what Gates did. Though the metaphors are a bit much, yeah.

He was in the passenger seat, yeah. But he should have been all "holy crap we almost drove into a gigantic crater, maybe we should slow the gently caress down". He should have made sure the almost accident didn't happen again, and really, should have made sure that the almost accident never occurred in the first place. That he failed on both accounts indicate that both Damian and Hibito are absolutely terrible astronauts.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Shakugan posted:

His "sabotaging" of the exam was adding in an extra green card. That Hibito immediately thought that the first issue was a green card, but wasn't completely sure about the second completely validates what Gates did.
I disagree. Changing the parameters of the exam at the last minute without informing anyone is ridiculous.

quote:

He was in the passenger seat, yeah. But he should have been all "holy crap we almost drove into a gigantic crater, maybe we should slow the gently caress down". He should have made sure the almost accident didn't happen again, and really, should have made sure that the almost accident never occurred in the first place. That he failed on both accounts indicate that both Damian and Hibito are absolutely terrible astronauts.

Well, terrible drivers more than terrible astronauts, but you're still putting more emphasis on Hibito's failure as a passenger than Damian's as the driver. It's silly that it's something that happened, but that isn't what they're focusing on.

Valsu
Jan 2, 2006

It looks like the Space Brothers TV series is going to end with the next episode, episode 99. I feel too moon. :(

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Woah, what? They don't seem prepared for an ending at all, unless they do something loving crazy.

Valsu
Jan 2, 2006

King of Solomon posted:

Woah, what? They don't seem prepared for an ending at all, unless they do something loving crazy.

Yea, I dunno what they intend to do with the series. There is a movie due out in Japan later this year, but according to MAL, it'll be a prequel. I'm hoping the show just goes on a hiatus and comes back in full force a little later. I'm gonna have to read the manga to get my moon fix. :(

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!
It's incredibly bizarre. This show has been within the top 10 on ratings for most of its run and there's still a decent chunk of manga content to adapt. Perhaps they're just compensating for the manga going on hiatus due to the author writing the movie. At any rate I severely doubt this is the last we'll see of Space Brothers animated.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
I'd rather they stop and wait to get a good buffer of material rather than pull filler out of their rear end and we wind up with "Hibito's new adventures in Russia where someone very slowly changes his life again over the course of 30 episodes. Mutts is not involved due to training."

I'm sure we'll see it again.

psyer
Mar 26, 2013
They are really catching up to where the manga is at the moment. Right now, they are at about ch. 185 out of 226 going about a 1-3 chapter per episode.

Valsu
Jan 2, 2006

Last episode(99) is available on Crunchyroll as of about an hour ago. I think it was about as good a way to end the TV series as could be hoped for. It sucks that its over. I looked forward to new episodes every week. :(

I was kinda bummed that Mutta wasn't on the rocket at the end, though it was good to see that he made it as CAPCOM. Hoping to see Cosmonaut Hibito in a 2nd season. Here's to hoping for a 2nd season announcement before long.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

I was going to post that Hibito was probably going to end up in Russia. This last episode happened before I got around to posting. No big surprise there.

I kind of figured this anime was going to be like Naruto/Bleach and never, ever end. I'm feeling kinda moon myself right about now. Agreed: I also hoped that it was Mutta on that rocket rather than Vince.

Here's to hoping for more brothers-in-space.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

Oh man. I really hope they continue with this series. Maybe they can show how Hibito got into the program?

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Alright, yeah. That's definitely the right way to end that given where that arc was at the time. Good choice bringing back Feel So Moon for the rocket launch, also.

I hope they've got another season coming sooner rather than later, but if they don't...well, at least they finished strong.

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde
I am so gutted that its ended, For 2 years now I have looked forward to every Saturday night just so that I could enjoy this, and now I really don't know what's going to fill that void. Anyway, Season two really needs to happen, Perhaps in a year or so when they have a decent amount of chapters to work from again.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
So I'm not sure whether to discuss the manga here or the crunchyroll thread, but I will say that I'm still not that attached to Mutta's new crewmembers even if they do get backstories explaining their lives. Their characters just don't feel as interesting as the old ones. Thankfully, the old ones aren't forgotten so I'm glad the story returns to them every now and then, in pretty satisfying ways.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Shakugan posted:

It's hilarious how Gates is presented as the "bad guy" for wanting to keep Hibito grounded, when he's the only character thinking rationally about the Hibito situation and could actually save lives by stopping him from going on any more missions. I mean, Hibito was completely incompetent as an astronaut before he developed PTSD and starting having panic attacks whenever he was reminded of space. Then we also have everything thinking Hibito has magically gotten over his PTSD even though he started having an attack when just in the water, surrounded by safety personnel, aware that the problems he was encountering were likely green cards (and this is ignoring that the whole test thing ended prematurely with a complete farce with all his space buddies coming by).

Allowing Hibito to go back into space is insanity. There'd be a very good chance he'd be completely incapable of performing his duties, at best being dead weight and at worst being a danger to the lives of his fellow astronauts. Even if he was operating at 100%, this is a guy who allowed his astronaut buddy to drive full speed into a crater right after they narrowly avoided driving into a crater because they were going too fast to see an upcoming gigantic freaking moon crater.

To be fair, that accident couldn't have happened without nearly every single person involved with the space program being woefully incompetent, not just Hibito.

individual865
Mar 26, 2007

Life on the outside ain't what it used to be.

Valsu posted:

Yea, I dunno what they intend to do with the series. There is a movie due out in Japan later this year, but according to MAL, it'll be a prequel. I'm hoping the show just goes on a hiatus and comes back in full force a little later. I'm gonna have to read the manga to get my moon fix. :(

I assume that the series was taking a break, as the voice cast was working on the film, the mangaka was writing the script, and the anime's director was directing the movie. I think they've almost caught up to the manga, so the series will hopefully resume once there's more manga to animate.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Finally got around to getting to the last episode and boy did they stop at a good time what with current events. Had the anime started six months later, the Russia arc would have been really awkward. Then again, it was already awkward in its own way. How far along is the manga and what are the odds they try to downplay the Russian stuff? Particularly since Japan voted in favor of the UN Resolution condemning the annexation of Crimea.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

Edward IV posted:

Finally got around to getting to the last episode and boy did they stop at a good time what with current events. Had the anime started six months later, the Russia arc would have been really awkward. Then again, it was already awkward in its own way. How far along is the manga and what are the odds they try to downplay the Russian stuff? Particularly since Japan voted in favor of the UN Resolution condemning the annexation of Crimea.

Its supposed to be the future so it shouldn't matter.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Acer Pilot posted:

Its supposed to be the future so it shouldn't matter.

Just because it's a work of fiction doesn't mean it can't be politically charged. Granted I don't know what the general consensus of the Crimea incident among the Japanese population is but the position of their government is quite clear. There could be pressure from publishers, executives, and sponsors to have the story changed to avoid upsetting popular opinion. Had this been an American production, this would have been the case or would have been avoided in the first place.

They could still try to salvage the story whilst boosting nationalist pride by making Hibito's Russian path to the moon untenable and fast tracking JAXA's manned rocket program instead.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I dunno, a big appeal of space travel fiction is that nationality doesn't matter, it's all about the love for space. Admittedly I base this line of thought from Planetes but I see no reason for them to change anything. Mutta's team practically cherry-picks them from all around the world, similarly with having Hibito join the Russians. If the story truly had a nationalistic bent, it would have had JAXA trying to go into space themselves from the start instead of having Hibito and Mutta work their through NASA and etc. Instead, everyone has been trying to reach space in their own ways, and not necessarily revolving around Mutta, as seen from the Kenji sub-plot, as well as all the characters from the JAXA exams.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

Edward IV posted:

Just because it's a work of fiction doesn't mean it can't be politically charged. Granted I don't know what the general consensus of the Crimea incident among the Japanese population is but the position of their government is quite clear. There could be pressure from publishers, executives, and sponsors to have the story changed to avoid upsetting popular opinion. Had this been an American production, this would have been the case or would have been avoided in the first place.

They could still try to salvage the story whilst boosting nationalist pride by making Hibito's Russian path to the moon untenable and fast tracking JAXA's manned rocket program instead.

2001: A Space Odyssey had Americans and Russians mingling on a space station, and the sequel had Americans/Russians deciding to leave behind the baggage of their home countries during a joint expedition to Jupiter, and those came out during the height of the Cold War.

And the way your word your post is really kinda disturbing, as if creative works must necessarily fall in lock-step with popular opinions or avoiding upsetting the official position of the home government. That's just something I can't get behind at all.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Hi Space Bros Thread, I kinda stopped watching this anime back in episode 88 (Hibito's panic attack case was about to be re-assessed or something), but I wanted to drop in and ask if they have sent Mutta to the loving Moon or Mars or just the ISS or anywhere that isn't Earth already? I honestly don't care about the rest of the drama, I just want to see them stuff Mutta in a rocket and shoot him off the planet.

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

Rexides posted:

Hi Space Bros Thread, I kinda stopped watching this anime back in episode 88 (Hibito's panic attack case was about to be re-assessed or something), but I wanted to drop in and ask if they have sent Mutta to the loving Moon or Mars or just the ISS or anywhere that isn't Earth already? I honestly don't care about the rest of the drama, I just want to see them stuff Mutta in a rocket and shoot him off the planet.

No, they haven't. If and when Mutta gets sent off Earth, it's going to have to be when the anime starts up again, and while that will probably happen, we don't know when it'll be.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
What the balls, I was quite happily watching through the episodes, and you call that a finale?? :( Maybe (hopefully) they're letting the manga get ahead before they start things again.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Falken posted:

What the balls, I was quite happily watching through the episodes, and you call that a finale?? :( Maybe (hopefully) they're letting the manga get ahead before they start things again.

I'd say 99 episodes with no breaks is a good point to take some time, especially when they're close to the Manga and the writer is working on the film.

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...
The translators finally put out a mass update of the manga.

Feeling really moon right now.

coathat
May 21, 2007

That's probably just someone putting up the crunchyroll translation that's been out forever. Don't steal.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Kingnothing posted:

I'd say 99 episodes with no breaks is a good point to take some time, especially when they're close to the Manga and the writer is working on the film.

I want to see a Subbed version of the Live Action film quite badly. Also, it seems like a story that would be pretty easy to adapt for American audiences.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
Man, my girlfriend and I just watched the last 22 episodes of this show yesterday. Is it just on hiatus to let the manga get ahead? Tempted to upgrade my crunchyroll account so I can get caught up.

Valsu
Jan 2, 2006

Senor Candle posted:

Is it just on hiatus to let the manga get ahead?

I hope so. I don't think an announcement has been made stating that, though. Or if there has been one, I haven't seen it. According to MAL, the only unreleased Space Brothers anime is an upcoming prequel called Uchuu Kyoudai: Number Zero.

I sincerely hope its just pulling a Chihayafuru and went on hiatus to let the manga catch up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Xelkelvos posted:

I want to see a Subbed version of the Live Action film quite badly. Also, it seems like a story that would be pretty easy to adapt for American audiences.

There is a subbed version of the live action film. I watched it on a plane a year or so back. If only they would release a DVD or BD or something...

• Locked thread