Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zapf Dingbat
Jan 9, 2001

Cool OP. This was a much needed refresh after the changes that recently occured in the industry.

Jesus, I'm having a rough time getting fast enough with this transcription. I just spent 7 hours total on a 54-minute file that had pretty horrible audio. A tape recorder set on a desk in a busy and noisy office. The rate was slightly higher, but to me, Daily Transcipts doesn't seem to scale the rates very accurately. I've had super easy files that paid much more than this.

I have a foot pedal and a good set of headphones, but I don't think I'll ever get to be as fast as I should be. An hour a day seems to be all I can handle. Can anyone chime in as to how long I should be spending on it, based on the difficulty of the file? Last week, I calculated that I'm making only slightly more than minimum wage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zapf Dingbat
Jan 9, 2001

kazmeyer posted:

Helpful stuff.

Wow, that's kind of a relief. I was really bummed out by that job yesterday. What's crazy about the rates are that they're not the worst I've seen. There are companies out there that pay 40 cents per minute for conference calls. I just don't see why anyone would go that low... Selling quilts on Etsy ought to be more productive than that.

So after that mess yesterday, I've got a finished show where I have to list the shots on the left side and transcribe on the right. I'm probably going to play through it once for the shots, then again for the audio. We'll see how this goes.

Zapf Dingbat
Jan 9, 2001

kazmeyer posted:

Yeah, until you get the hang of technical transcripts, that's probably your best bet. I've got the additional issue of transcribing into Inqscribe, which exports in plain text, which means for the multi-column format I have to type a tab-delimited transcript, import that into Excel to get the cells set up, then paste the result into the Word template for final formatting. Between that and the arcane shorthand I use to note shots during the transcription process (so I don't have to go back through a second time), my raw technical transcripts look like bloody Sanskrit. :)

Did you at least get a script or closed-captioning file? I hate doing as-broadcasts without those. I love HBO because they usually provide the script, and you can see the differences in the final episode. Like with Game of Thrones, most of it's almost verbatim, just recut into a different order, while a show like Eastbound and Down is borderline improv. Danny McBride in particular tends to run pretty far afield from what's down on the page.

Nope, I didn't get any sort of text or script. Just a sample of a previous episode.

Man that really kicked my rear end today. Had loads of trouble with the formatting. I guess I don't know Word as much as I thought I did. Guess I'll try your method next time, because what I did just didn't work.

Zapf Dingbat
Jan 9, 2001

kazmeyer posted:

Was it the format with three columns, no lines around the individual cells? If so, there's something royally hosed up about that template. I've actually told them to leave me out of any work in that style, just because I can't figure out how to get it to format properly outside of copying and pasting directly into each individual cell (which would take hours). Normally I just paste into the template, adjust font and size, and maybe tweak text alignment within the cells, but I spent hours trying to get that to work and it just wasn't happening.

God yes, it was that format. That was awful. It turns out I had only 3 cells across the whole document when I was done, so they sent it back and I had to spend hours copying and pasting the whole thing into another document. Worst crap I've had to do so far.

Zapf Dingbat
Jan 9, 2001

Okay, I've got a technical problem this time. I have a Quicktime audio file that has a drop-frame timecode embedded in the file. My transcription software (Express Scribe) doesn't seem to be able to display this embedded TC, and I can't control quicktime player with a foot pedal. kazmeyer, do I just need to suck it up and buy another piece of software? Or is there a workaround?

edit: Plus, these files play extremely slowly in express scribe, and I have no idea why. I can't adjust the speed at all. This is maddening.

Zapf Dingbat
Jan 9, 2001

Okay, so yesterday, my contact at DT gave me some software that helped me out.

I mean, it worked, but the software itself is podunk. It took me over an hour to get it to work correctly. And when I say podunk, I mean that it would go apeshit whenever I pressed the Shift key.

I might try Inqscribe later.

Zapf Dingbat
Jan 9, 2001

Jeez, I'm doing a "dialog list" transcription, which seems to be not as detailed as it could get in the way that I'm not listing out shots and cuts, but I'm marking the in points AND out points to every piece of dialog. The rate is terrible compared to normal work. It takes me twice as long.

Zapf Dingbat
Jan 9, 2001

What's a good per-page rate? I just got a client that pays per page.

Also, +1 for me too with the super secret stuff. I had to sign a gigantic NDA and install encryption software, but it's more work coming in.

Edit: Also, does DT get butthurt about turning down stuff? I'm thinking of not doing these dialogue lists.

Zapf Dingbat fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jul 19, 2012

Zapf Dingbat
Jan 9, 2001

So what's the deal with home phone support gigs?

Zapf Dingbat
Jan 9, 2001

Derek79 posted:

Is there any particular company you're referring to? I'm familiar with a good majority of them and can provide some information if you have specific questions.

Can you make a living with it? Where would I start?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zapf Dingbat
Jan 9, 2001

Anybody want my Infinity USB pedal? I am gainfully employed now.