Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slightly Used Cake
Oct 21, 2010
So I've been provisionally accepted by DT, which I'm super happy about. I know a few people were asking what they found acceptable for their test. I took verbatim to mean verbatim, so when I did my editing, anything which I knew was said during the tape, but that the checker got annoyed with I labelled as [SL] because to me, that's what they said. I actually didn't use the non-interview tag, which I was worried might irk them as they had bothered to mention it, but I guess it was fine. I only used phonetic once I think, on the one guy's last name, just because I didn't know the spelling. And I think I had one [INAUDIBLE] but I listened to that poo poo like way too many times through, via speakers and two different sets of headphones. But the flip side is every time someone made a noise, I documented it. The only thing I'm waiting on now is the right tax form. I'm Canadian, so I just need something which isn't a W-9 and I should be hearing back tomorrow hopefully, but the agent who got in contact didn't make it seem like it would be a problem.

Can anyone recommend any Canadian transcription firms at all? I know a lot of us up north are struggling at this. I do have a question though, I'm currently training as a medical transcriptionist, and when looking ahead for jobs I'm seeing, of course, experience require. Is the general feel that transcription experience itself is alright? Or is it generally only medical transcription experience that counts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slightly Used Cake
Oct 21, 2010
Hey folks, I can confirm that Daily Transcription does hire Canadians, and also, that I'm now part of their fancy rear end pool of bitches. Thanks Kaz! I plan to make use of all your awesome tips and tricks :-)

Slightly Used Cake
Oct 21, 2010
Has anyone managed to book work through a site called oDesk, or even Elance? I signed up to both, but they seem flooded, and the rate of pay most people expect to get away with is pitiful, but some money would be better than no money.

Slightly Used Cake
Oct 21, 2010
I know it's probably been said already, but is there some way to either make InqScribe only do a six numerals time code, or make Word change them automatically, it's not that I mind going through and adjusting them too much, it just takes time, and I just finished 45 pages of mostly short dialogue and I realized there has got to be a more efficient way for me to do this!

Oh and has anybody tried applying to a company called Transcription HUB? I did their test the other week and it was bizarre, and their style guide referenced an example of their time coding format that didn't exist in the drop box they sent me to. So I was just wondering if it was just me and I had a bad experience with them or what.

Daily Transcription, however is still awesome to work with. :)

Slightly Used Cake
Oct 21, 2010

AuntBuck posted:

In InqScribe, click on the Transcript link up top, and go to Transcript Settings, then select Omit Frames.

Oh my god, I actually freaking love you! Thank you. :)

Slightly Used Cake
Oct 21, 2010

AuntBuck posted:

I had that same issue when I first started using the software. And is this the Transcription HUB you were talking about?

http://transcriptionhub.com/

It seems like their pay would be on the low side, looking at what they charge for their services.

That's the one, I know their rates are low, I wasn't expecting awesome pay, just wanted to get a bit more work in, right now I'm only getting jobs off DT, and I'm getting a fair bit of work, I just wanted something additional, as my speed's really starting to pick up. I just need some more stuff, you know, living wage and all that jazz. :)

Slightly Used Cake
Oct 21, 2010

Cast Iron Brick posted:

Has anyone else had problems with Express Scribe playing back video? I can't get my time code offsets to line up at all with the DT test video, and comparing it to the playback in VLC shows dropped frames. I don't know how I can get accurate time code copies without doing it manually when I can't get video playback to work at an accurate rate..

e: In case anyone else is having trouble with this, converting the .rm file to a .avi fixed it for me.

Yeah, the only time I use Express Scribe is when something WON'T play in Inq Scribe, which has only happened once, and thankfully wasn't needing time codes. Download InqScribe, you can use it for free, it's awesome.

Slightly Used Cake
Oct 21, 2010
And so much variation too. One thing I've been worried about since I started training for medical was how boring it was going to be, but if I can mix some general and media in I don't think it will be a problem. Plus getting to see some set up interviews for shows and things, I was working on something the other week and I'll be very interested to see the finished project as the guy seemed really nice and funny, but it seems like they're planning on portraying him as a hardass, and also, making him dumb down so much.

Oh, and plus if you can get in with DT they are really great about being willing to let you know how to improve. Like for instance I habitually err on the side of caution when it comes to non-interview and transcribe way too much, but they've been really great about giving me pointers. Not to mention always being really quick about getting back o you if you're not 100% on what they're asking for in the assignment. I wasn't expecting it actually, as a total novice joining their company, and them being online only, I totally expected them to be total jerks, but so far they're really nice and always willing to answer questions and give you examples of how to improve your work. And honestly, the test file is a nightmare, I honestly don't think I've had anything CLOSE to that, but the worst case scenario is good because once you've gotten through that, the files they seem to throw at newbies are easy peasy.

Slightly Used Cake
Oct 21, 2010
How are you getting those if you don't mind sharing, are you going through a different agency, or you must be going directly to the clients are you? How would you suggest connecting with clients who actually pay reasonable rates? And also, it's not wonder you can make a living at it. DT is getting lot better, I don't know if you're aware of their rate change so it's not standard anymore, I haven't had one below 65 cents since before Christmas, which okay, not awesome but there has been a lot more work since they've changed it up actually. And I can't even imagine how you did that file, what was it just one big {INAUDIBLE] tag? Jesus.

Slightly Used Cake
Oct 21, 2010
Oh yay, so I had some good news this week. I did get picked up by Transcription HUB, I know their pay will probably be a bit on the low side, but it's more experience and hopefully something to take up some more of my down time. I also heard back from Leap Force, so I'm scheduled to do the exam this week. So that's cool. You guys who have taken the Leap Force exam, I'll be going for the search engine evaluator post, I know it's probably silly to ask, but did you find the exam difficult?

Oh and to my transcribing peeps, we have something coming up involving a different format, so switching from the normal word style to an excel transcript, any tips and tricks to doing that? Or should I just brew a big pot of coffee and be prepared for a lot of manual work? I totally don't mind, just thought I should check. :) Thanks folks! Oh and if anyone is thinking about trying to get into DT in the near future I'd definitely get yourself sorted soon, I think Spring is going to be very busy for us. :)

Slightly Used Cake
Oct 21, 2010

Internet Friend posted:

Excel seems to always lose formatting when copying text from Word, but I've found OpenOffice Calc will preserve it as long as the cell's format doesn't override it. Editing text directly in Excel or Calc is awful so I've done these by transcribing in Word and copying over during the proof pass.

Awesome, thankyou, I'll give this a try. :-)

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

What makes you say that? I only ask because I work for a captioning company and things have been very slow recently. If it continues on like this, I would imagine they might have to lay off our transcription coordinator just to give the captioners more to do.

We ere told recently that due to a lot of people outsourcing to Asian companies, the pricing, and thus our pay, was being switched from fixed to variable, and by the job. They started these varied rates before Christmas, but just hadn't really come out and said it, and to be perfectly honest, as soon as they started doing it there has been a lot more work. We've also been told there's something big coming through over the next while that should keep us all busy. I see what you're saying though, honestly, although their business focus seems to be on media, there really hasn't been that much of it, I've been seeing more general and research. The media side's only been just starting to pick up in the last couple of weeks. All in all, it looks like a lot of stuff on the new starter side, so if people are thinking of giving transcription a try to see if they like it, this would be a good time. But just be advised with the shifting rates they have warned us the previously reported $0.60 may not be achieved. I haven't experienced that, and in fact, have only done better than that, even if only by a slim margin, but I have also been with them few a couple of months now, and they seem to be pleased with my work.

Slightly Used Cake
Oct 21, 2010
Well this has been the week of fail, I failed the Leap Force test, and also the second agency I picked up smells scammy as gently caress. Sigh, transcribers, avoid Transcription HUB, it's not even that the pay is terrible, which it is, new starters at $0.30/min, which I had to drag out of the guy because even in correspondence he was referencing documents he had not sent or given me access to on drop box, but also they pay through PayPal, and they only take invoices once a month and reserve the right to take 45 days to pay out. As well as being given a 48 hour time limit on an assignment they'd uploaded to drop box on the 10th. And the company has complaints about taking the money and running from th client side. All told, no good, I think they must be based somewhere else as all the correspondence sounded like ESL as well, so I assume recourse possibilities would be limited if they screwed you. Ah well, live and learn.

Slightly Used Cake
Oct 21, 2010

Cast Iron Brick posted:

Can anyone give me any tips of speeding up my transcription times? I haven't gotten a pedal yet, but even without I'm still clocking in at five and four hours on my last two 30 minute jobs.

Including editing? Oh sweetie, without a pedal as slow as that feels for you, that's still pretty good. My first 30 minute files took me about four hours each with a pedal just getting used to the process. You're just going to fly once you get it. :)

Slightly Used Cake
Oct 21, 2010
Oh hey that's a drat fine tip there Kaz, thank you, I just wind up using those files with Express Scribe, and I really dislike that program with a vengeance.

Slightly Used Cake
Oct 21, 2010
Bleh, the DT test is like being stabbed in the ears, I only had couple of [INAUDIBLES], but I have ears like a bat and I listened to that thing for hours, I kept switching between like 4 different pairs of head phones, and speakers, and I am stubborn as all get up. The quality is NEVER that bad, good luck with your baby news. :-)

Slightly Used Cake
Oct 21, 2010
Yeah, I'm seeing this also, and it's a lot of different stuff too which is nice, although I'm sad it looks like one of the shows I've been working on the last few weeks is wrapping up and I wanna know who wins!

Slightly Used Cake
Oct 21, 2010

An Old Boot posted:

[INAUDIBLE] makes sense for a group like DT. It sound less like a personal opinion/personal 'slight' than the other variations, so it's understandable that it's used. 'Less judgmental.'

By comparison, I can understand why [INDISTINCT] is used less. I'd say what I used to use for captioning elsewhere, but contractual obligations and all that. [UNINTELLIGIBLE] could make it sound like you think someone's stupid. It's a smarter move on the part of the company to use [INAUDIBLE] because that's more likely to be 'the medium is to blame' rather than 'hey rear end in a top hat quit talking like you have the microphone up to your neck and put it up to your loving piehole already.'

...even if that's what some of us would like to say.

Agreed...also there needs to be a button so I can shock people who record their podcasts with the sound activation setting. Seriously guy, screw you! It didn't save you any money, you were still recording dead air, you just weren't transmitting it to your webinar clients and it made it choppy as gently caress!

Slightly Used Cake
Oct 21, 2010
To be fair they have had a LOT of work through lately and the actual team is pretty small, when I joined in November it took a couple of weeks to get things sorted out. And I didn't even have a W9 to sort out, so. (Canadagoon)

Slightly Used Cake
Oct 21, 2010
Um...I think my pedal just broke...hmmm...I have a spare, but it's the same model, an Infiniti that I got "free" with my medical transcription course...maybe I just have lead feet? IS this normal? Maybe six months of use? I mean I don't think I've ever even killed a mouse. Can someone recommend a nice robust pedal?

Slightly Used Cake fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Feb 16, 2013

Slightly Used Cake
Oct 21, 2010
Yeah it seems to be working again, weird, and I can't actually say, USB1 I think. Seems like it just had a bit of a fit with my software. Threw me off because all of a sudden InqScribe was not accepting input from my play button. Seems to be okay now, fingers crossed. I think it's just the week I'm having.

Slightly Used Cake
Oct 21, 2010
Indeed, they'd rather you recorded too much and they have to take some bits out then you record too little and then it takes more time to go back and re-do. And in the context of working, you'd be expected to do that bit as it's set up and lead ins, don't worry, the real stuff is NEVER that cheezy, the job is awesome, this last week I have been laughing my rear end off at the assignments, you'll love it, good luck with your test. :) And if you enjoy men talking about cars as a thing, you'll definitely enjoy it. :)

Slightly Used Cake
Oct 21, 2010
Take a look at the tape and check your time codes, watch them closely, I just did a couple where they were constantly shutting the tape off and starting up again, not necessarily declaring, a few times it's such a quick off and on that if you're not glued to th screen you wouldn't notice, like if there was a noise and they thought it was going to keep going but then it stopped. Also, yes it can just stright up be a framerate issue, most Food Network stuff for instance comes in at 29.75 or whatever, but I did one the other day that actually came in at 23 and I was like the gently caress? InqScribe will usually prompt you about it and ask if you want to use the media frame rate. Seems obvious, but it still asks. And I always double check because the first time I instructed it to do so it hadn't taken and I had to go through and correct.

Now, I have signed on with a new company, Fox Transcription, they pay poorly, $0.50 is standard with an extra $.05 a minute for timestamping, and $0.10 for full verbatim as they normally operate on a clean verbatim basis. The audio is somewhat terrible, but they do pay weekly, via paypal, have a fairly large base of transcribers, and instead of the mailing out of assignments like I've seen so far, they operate a job log style system. So the work if just sitting there and you claim it. The audio quality isn't necessarily awesome, but it's an option out there if you're good and just want to pick up some work. Their test consists of two files, their formatting is really easy, and the fact that there is just always work sitting there, even if it's not the greatest I think is the good selling point. So yeah, another option for you guys, but I'll update on it a bit more when I've done a bit more and hopefully gotten a first payout Monday.

Slightly Used Cake
Oct 21, 2010
Normally a few days, but I know the folks in the office have been swamped lately, especially the two ladies who handle most of the quality checks. Be patient. :)

Slightly Used Cake
Oct 21, 2010

Crunch Bucket posted:

I didn't see anything about medical transcription in this thread, but does anyone have experience with MT done from the home?

I'm looking into a 6-month training course at a local community college (done through correspondence) and then I plan to take the certification exam to get my CMT.

From my research, it seems like a lot of MT is outsourced nowadays and that it's not impossible to get an at-home gig with certification, but I don't want to shell out the ~$1,800 for training and certification if my only (or most likely) employment option is is an in-office position.

I would echo what Blue Monday said, and also add in something I learned from a chat with the lady who owns Points West out of Vancouver, which seems to be general and legal. Medical, if you can get into it, is often very short tapes, two or three minutes. The office gig are hard to break into, and the at home seems drat near impossible. I'm currently training for it myself with ICS, it seems like the biggest issue isn't the terminology, it's actually the course itself. Many of the companies want a minimum of somewhere around 2500 minutes experience I read somewhere. Most courses are providing somewhere in around the maybe 300 minute amount, maybe more often less. They're concentrating on the terminology, as they should. I personally find the terminology is helpful as I've been doing a lot of research, meetings and general dialogue with a medical twist, not the reports themselves. It can also be very boring in that you get a lot of the same kind of reports over and over. My long term plan is to see if I can parlay my general experience with my medical training into a gig with one of these medical transcription companies, but otherwise I'm enjoy the general and a lot of the companies now are getting mixed bag so if it's the science terms you like then general is stil for you. I know the pay for medical looks good but when you consider the amount of time you'll spend downloading, editing, formatting, terminology research unless you're bound to one specialty and department, it actually works out to about the same as general unless you get in with a really good company. And to be honest the people holding onto those jobs are keeping them in a death grip. I'm not saying don't do it, I mean it's definitely a very interesting field, but before you look at any course see what it actually is going to get you in the long run.

EDIT: Question, can someone recommend a good program for cleaning up audio with minimal fuss, something that can bring up the dialogue and drown out the muffles? Or am I hoping for some kind of Blue Fairy here?

Slightly Used Cake fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Mar 3, 2013

Slightly Used Cake
Oct 21, 2010
yes, but it's worth it. I'm being paid basically, right now, o be a fly on the wall for a chat of some of the dirtiest old men ever. It's awesome!

Slightly Used Cake
Oct 21, 2010
Yeah, to be honest, I literally try and get everything I can, the rule of thumb generally once you'r working is if they're asking the interviewer to say elaborateon what they want, talk about lunch, debae what that noise is, or talk about the fart they just totally did, yeah, non-inerview, but for the test, include everything because Kaz is right deleting non-essential is better than having to re-do, and I'm going to tell you now, I have had this weekend literally one bit of audio approaching this, but I was paid $1 a minute for is, and it was terrible, like through the walls of the next hotel room horrible, and I was told to do my best and they'd explain to the client, because she had to have it, as much as possible. And let me tell you, I just don't think this woman needed it, because mostly it was talking about lunch, the audio broke up a bit at one point and I thought the instructions were about surgery, turns out she was making thai salad, but hey, sweet sweet money. :-)

Slightly Used Cake
Oct 21, 2010
Heh, how sad is it I want to have a crack at that? I LOVE ESL, they usually talk slower, especially if they're all from different countries. Seriously though, yeah, that's a piss take.

Content: Rev.com, formerly Fox Transcribe
I feel like I should mention these guys because I've don some work for them now, and sometimes you find some audio gems amongst the dross. They pay poo poo, I'm not going to lie, and most of the audio sounds like it was recorded via a tin can shoved halfway up a monkey's rear end, BUT if you're just starting out and you have NOTHING to go with yet, it's something.

Rate is $0.50 per minute of audio, which is poo poo. It's automatically clocked by their system, which is pretty good. Their reviewers pretend like they care but they give no shits. Their on site forum is full of crazies ho act like it's not monitored or something so it's kind of a laugh. They operate on a very standardized and simple format, and they believe in very clean verbatim, it's practically paraphrased. Verbatim gets you an extra 5 cents a minute, and time stamping an extra 10. Here's the thing though, their standard time stamp is one every 2 minutes of audio, that is it, chucked into the text wherever it lands. And it's a great way to get your chops I think, because generally whenever I do stuff for them I'm builind gmy experience in some way. Not a huge amount of ESL speakers, but some, and a LOT of Australians and Brits, so if those are accents you're struggling with this can be a good thing to try.

Payment is every Monday via PayPal, no minimum payment. I've been on their books for about a month so I thought it was fair to chuck them out there. Also, they operate on a job log system where all the available assignment are laid out, so sometimes it seems like a bit of a scramble. If you try them, always preview files, I've seen a few asshats chuck accent tags on file they want to save for later but not be seen as a douche.

Slightly Used Cake
Oct 21, 2010
As to the competitor thing, I actually did have a woman respond to me based on my resume containing a company who had recently won a contract from her. It was kind of werd at first because she was asking me about them, and i explained the things which she could have easily learned herself through a quick Google search, but wound up having a long conversation, and even though she wasn't happy with the company she at least agreed that she'd be very interested in my services once she starts hiring for the Spring season an said she'd be giving me a call. So, silvers linings and all that. :-)

Slightly Used Cake
Oct 21, 2010

kazmeyer posted:

Yeah, at that pay rate I doubt they'll be overly picky. I think the main value there is the on-demand work scheduling and simply the fact that it's another client you can put on your resume; steady work with multiple clients looks good, shows reliability and that you can manage deadlines. I think the only places I didn't stay contracted for at least a year were the first one that scammed me and another that folded up with little explanation about four months in.

Exactly. It's difficult if you're not living in the U.S. right now because a lot of the respectable firms are asking for a lot of experience, doing a lot of whacked tests with very little parameter explanation. And if you want to try Focus Forward for instance or a few other really awesome looking companies, they only hire people living in the U.S., and that's their tag-line, so if anyone sees any companies taking on Canadians, lemme know. :-)

Slightly Used Cake
Oct 21, 2010
I have that pedal, it's nice, they're pretty heavy, but if you have slippy floors stick a mat under it unless you don't mind that fucker sliding around, oh and press with your heel if you can, shin cramps are lame. :(

Kaz, I know it's in this thread somewhere, but what headphones are you using at the minute?

Slightly Used Cake
Oct 21, 2010

kazmeyer posted:

This is the pair I'm currently wearing (although I bought them some time ago when they were considerably cheaper, Jesus Christ). Before that I had a set of Plantronics cans that I adored but has long since gone discontinued. Honestly, I think if you're willing to spend north of about $15 on a set of closed cans from a company you've actually heard of before you're probably good.

Sign on "By:", print name on "Name:". That's the usual format for stuff like this.

Thanks Kaz! I've been switching between an open set of senheisser and a set of their earbuds, but it's not necessarily the best for my ears longterm I think. :(

Slightly Used Cake
Oct 21, 2010
Just keep swimming?

So...flv files...they suck...how can I either use my foot pedal to control VLC, OR how can I convert these files into something InqScribe will like that doesn't take an hour for a two minute file?

Slightly Used Cake
Oct 21, 2010
Nice, good for you, yeah I mean the pay on this one isn't awesome considering, but I love the medical stuff, it's my thing. I found one for free, it's just taking FOREVER!

Slightly Used Cake
Oct 21, 2010
They're a pain, and I keep having trouble converting them because then they'll be something wrong with the codec when it's finished and a normally lovely format will cause issue, which is annoying because it might have taken an hour to convert the drat thing! Anyway trying Wondershare now, thanks Kaz!

Slightly Used Cake
Oct 21, 2010
I might cry...why does InqScribe keep crashing...not even normal crashing it just...gone....half an hour's work gone because it keeps corrupting backups...I might actually go mad!

Slightly Used Cake
Oct 21, 2010
All up to date...and yeah...you might be right, might be the computer...oh man...I swear it heard me squee over new desk. It's punishing me by planning on doing something expensive. :-(

Edit: Folks, I'm signing up with a new company, ANP Transcription, I'm not seeing great things, but then again I have doen work for companies that had bad press online before and had good experience. Some people are crazy bitches so...anybody have any personal experience with these guys at all?

Slightly Used Cake fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Mar 28, 2013

Slightly Used Cake
Oct 21, 2010

Spartan421 posted:

Yeah, it's been pretty dry. I got an offer to do some editing for 50 cents a minute a moment ago, but eh. I think I'll do lionbridge instead.

I got that offer too and I'll be taking it as I haven't done much for the editing side yet. This week has been like weird for DT, not a HUGE amount. But yes, in the first few weeks working with them I really didn't get a lot and just chalked it up to them evaluating my skills.

And Spartan was you who turned down that medical job a couple weeks back with DT? You'll be glad of it. Three weeks out and I still have seven files sitting on my computer for all intents and purposes finished because the client hasn't given final word on some formatting points.

Slightly Used Cake fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Apr 5, 2013

Slightly Used Cake
Oct 21, 2010

An Old Boot posted:

It seems weird to me that medical transcription is being sent through DT. Honestly, since I'm not paid for medical transcription, I just write things out that I can't find in a two second google search either phonetically, or in brackets. Since it's not a patient report or anything vital, I can't accidentally kill someone by doing that, and there's never been complaints from the QT guys. Makes the pay worthwhile, even if you end up staring at and/or listening to some unhappy poo poo for a while.

As an aside: I got a really, really weird job for transcription yesterday morning. It legit involved listening to a television program the company isn't contracted to work with through a second-hand audio recording. I'm really not sure what the hell to do with it other than point out where the program began, and I'm still waiting to hear back on whether or not that was "expected" to be transcribed, as well.

If it's not, cool, that's a lot of pay to just sit there doing nothing, but if it is, I'm not really sure that's legal, or if I should even consider doing it.

Kaz (or, hell, anyone), have you ever run into that before?

I see what you mean. Personally I trained for medical transcription so the terminology for the most part and the Googling wasn't a big deal, it was more their insistence that everything on the screen be transcribed as well, including tables and other things they'd added into the video presentation. There was some pages thrown up on screen with a lot of text, we still haven't heard back on. And trust me here guys, boobies were fine. Boobies were the BEST thing I saw the inside of form that entire assignment *shudder*.

And to add to the I don't know if this is legal bit, I had one that was an American client not too long ago, asked HIS client if it was okay to record. No is clearly hear, twice. It's weird, but it's not our job to pass judgement. Even when it comes to medical, you're responsible for any mistakes you make on the transcript if mistakes occur because you transcribed it wrong, but the actual content as long as the record you create is correct, is the responsibility of the client.

So yeah, always wait for final clarification, but don't worry about it.

As long as the audio is good, enjoy. Because next week you'll probably get something with audio where someone has the recorder in their pocket...the pocket through which they are stroking it, for the entire hour. Yeah, sometimes that's a thing. Bleh.

Slightly Used Cake
Oct 21, 2010
Oh my god, it was like dead and now it's like super rush files everywhere!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slightly Used Cake
Oct 21, 2010
DT hires Canadian :-) I know, for I am in fact one :-) As does Rev. DT sends cheques, Rev pays via PayPal, weekly, I never have a problem with them payign late, if anything they have been paying very early, lots of work with them, and DT is ramping up again.

Focus Forward does not. :-( They look like an awesome outfit too, so jealous of you Americans. The Canadian ones seem to only be taking very experienced folk and doing really high end stuff, but keep an eye out. I'm currently in my first month with a company called ANP out of New York, mostly legal and medical stuff from them, I'm doing their big legal contract, I'll let you guys know more when I've seen a first cheque.

It's complicated when you're a Canadian working for Americans, unfortunately we don't get the same documentation to work with, and if we get hosed over, there's very little recourse we can take. If you're trying a new company, take on as little as you can until they've proved they can pay their bills, and then, if you're like me, do ALL the work. I've been going for six months now, and I love it.

Beware Transcription Hub, they pay 30 cents a minute, and seem scammy as sweet gently caress.

Rev pays 50 cents a minute for basic, up to 65 a minute if you're doing time coding AND full verbatim. Their normal is a very modified verbatim. Audio is usually pretty poo poo.

DT operates with pure verbatim unless otherwise stated, very clear instructions, variable rate by the job, some as low as 60 cents, but I've had a few rush jobs in the last little bit that were $3 a minute. Audio can be lovely, but they're understanding if it is, and usually pay to offset it. Staff in the office are amazing.

ANP, if you're interested in trying them out, but as I said, unproven, pay 90 cents per page for new starters with a re-evaluation at three months, going up to, either $1.05 or $1/15 per page depending on how much they love you. I don't know if that's good, it's my first by the page gig, but it's working out pretty well so far. They are also looking for editors at the moment, I don't know that end of the business.

It's a weird gig, you start out making poo poo money, being really slow, only getting lovely audio and not understanding what people say, and hating all of humanity, and then a bubble bursts, you have great experience, people are willing to work with you and you realize you're making pretty respectable money. Not amazing yet, but I certainly would be able to afford to live in an upscale fridge box now. :) also I can and quite happy will do upwards of 120 minutes of audio a couple days a week, but I don't have kids or a life, and I hate natural light, so...you know, perspective. :)