Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

When (that's no) moon hits this guy like a big Twi'lek guy: Liberatore!
I don't know if it was mentioned in the previous thread, but there's also oDesk. I haven't used the website in a while, but the gist of it is that you make an account, set up your profile and apply for jobs posted.

They have some pretty handy documentation/guides to help you make a good profile. There's even tests you can take and be rated by - when I first created an account there, I took one for English<->Portuguese translation and was rated #1 out of 300 or so people who took it. They track and publicly show things like ongoing jobs, jobs completed, amount paid per job/total and so on, so figuring out what to apply for is easy.

When you first create an account, the amount of applications you can place will be greatly limited until you make your account "oDesk ready", which doesn't take long.

The pay varies greatly. You set your hourly rate, but some jobs posted will have their own rate or fixed price. Some people get paid $10 per hour, some $100. Once all is said and done, oDesk takes a 10% cut off your pay. Main problem is that you're competing with other people for jobs. A good profile will go a long way, but once you start getting jobs, feedback is what will keep the ball rolling.

To get an idea of what you might be getting into, here are some recently posted jobs:

Keep in mind you will also find some really underpaid jobs (write articles at $0.01/word, some hourly rates going as low as $4, etc.) and depending on your area of expertise, lots of long term stuff. Just keep applying with rates that feel right for what you can offer and it won't take long before you find some work.

Also, the oDesk software lets clients take screenshots of your desktop to ensure you're actually working when clocking time.

Liberatore fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Apr 4, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

Tastic posted:

Has anyone done the content creation sites and done something like just setup a SSH tunnel into a buddies house so the IP comes from a US IP?

They probably require a Form W-9 filled in your name before they pay you. And if they don't pay you with Paypal or something, you'd run into more trouble in that regard. Unless you are an US citizen living outside the US, then yeah that could work.

If you don't mind Textbroker's pay, there's http://www.textbroker.co.uk/ - the pay is a bit higher (€1.2 cents/word at 4 stars) and you just need a Paypal account to receive payment.

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

Tastic posted:

Anyone know the deal with everything being mostly US only? Is it just they need a tax number and it is easier to deal with? Or do they check IPs and such? What is stopping me from setting up a SSH tunnel on some hosting/friends house and just backpacking the world making $25 bucks a day which is plenty fine to be ballin in Thailand or something?

Most of those websites will require a W-9 form before they pay you. I don't know how it works beyond that but I think you could pull that off if you're an US citizen. Obviously websites like Leapforce and Lionbridge would be a lot more strict about it.

On that note, I mentioned earlier in this thread that textbroker.co.uk is an option if you're not from the US. They pay is a bit higher (€1.2 cents per word at 4 stars) and they don't care where you're from.

Liberatore fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Apr 30, 2012