Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Derek79
Dec 17, 2005
One thing that I have rarely seen posted are at home phone jobs. In addition to Leapforce and various writing gigs, I have been with a company called LiveOps since May of 2007. I take calls for a variety of programs, most notably direct response infomercials, which is what most people start in. Taking these calls, you are paid .25 per minute that you are on the phone plus commission when certain things are sold. If there is an infomercial on television, odds are we probably take calls for it.

Once you start, you are able to add additional lines if you do a good job on your original line. Since May of 2007, I have been added to lines that take calls for Pizza Hut, Abbott Laboratories, Allstate First Notice of Loss, AAA Roadside Assistance and Lifelock Identity Protection. They also have specialty lines for those who have experience in the outbound industry as well as licensed insurance agents.

If anyone has questions, I would be glad to answer them. You can apply at https://www.liveops.com. There is a fee for the background check but that is the only cost associated with working there. I believe it is $50 or $55. It was actually $20 when I started so that may be outdated. They pay twice a month on the 1st and 16th. When I work it full time, I can bring in $3,000 to $4,000 a month (on about a 50 to 55 hour work week). It helps if you are available evenings, overnights and weekends, which are the prime times for direct response.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Derek79
Dec 17, 2005

Arnold of Soissons posted:

Thanks for the info!

Do you personally use a ground line traditional phone, or a google voice / skype set up? Does LiveOps care either way?

Technically, their rules state to use an analog landline phone. I started out using that before moving to cable telephone and now am using Vonage. Skype would not work due to lag and the fact that they can tell you are using a Skype number. MagicJack also does not work as it disconnects callers randomly. When people that I know apply, I tell them to see if they can bundle their phone and internet to save money. I would be using cable telephone now if they offered it where I live. Once I move to the Kansas City area, that is likely what I will be using again.

Derek79
Dec 17, 2005

Kubricize posted:

This is interesting, I've seen adds for things around that sound like this on Craigslist and Kijiji, only you have to pay for training and a monthly fee as well to keep in the system or some crap. Do you know if they hire outside of the United States, or is it something else that us Canadian/UK goons have to pass on?

Unfortunately, LiveOps only hires from the United States. I know ContractXchange hires Canadians but, as you said, they require you to pay for training. They are a legit company but I am not big on putting up a good chunk of money for training without knowing whether or not I will like the work. I know there are some Canadian phone jobs out there. I will gather a list and post them here tomorrow. I don't think I know of any for the UK, but I will check on that as well.

Derek79
Dec 17, 2005

Tastic posted:

Any idea what they would not hire you for?

From what I understand, they will not hire you if you have a felony on your record, a pending warrant for your arrest or any misdemeanors having to do with theft, fraud or other financial crimes. They also would turn you down if you have more than $10,000 currently in collections, have filed bankruptcy within the last 12 months or more than one bankruptcy. These are all case by case as well as I have seen some people hired that make me want to scratch my head.

ETA: Here is the list of official reasons you may not be hired:

Q: What will cause me to fail the background check?
A: Applicants must pass both parts of the background and credit checks. Applicants with the following elements on their check will not be accepted:

Past Due: More than $10,000 in total currently past due and/or in collections over three or more accounts

Judgments and Bankruptcy: 2 or more open or active civil judgments/ tax liens (open/ active liens), a bankruptcy within a year of this application or more than 1 bankruptcy

Felony Records: Any records with dispositions of guilty, convicted, no contest / nolo contendere, adjudication withheld / deferred adjudication / probation before judgment (if currently under probation), pending, or outstanding warrant, or that have been negotiated down to a misdemeanor

Misdemeanor Records: If you have 3 or more vehicular records with DUI, Reckless Driving or Hit/Run or 5 or more total misdemeanors, you will not pass. If you have any records involving theft, fraud, dishonesty, breach of trust, arson or violent crimes with dispositions of guilty, convicted, no contest / nolo contendere, adjudication withheld / deferred adjudication / probation before judgment (if currently under probation), pending, or outstanding warrant, you will not pass.

Derek79 fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Apr 7, 2012

Derek79
Dec 17, 2005
I didn't have to do that when I started but, from what I am hearing from others, that is standard for textbroker now.

Derek79
Dec 17, 2005

dbadeb posted:

I applied at LiveOps shortly after you posted this message. I've done all the steps up to an including the Voice Audition, but my application has been stuck in "Your Qualification is Being Processed" ever since. How long does this process typically take?

You know, I'm not really sure. I started with them in May 2007 and the process was pretty quick at that point. Summer is generally the slower time as far as Direct Response goes but they could just be waiting for another program to seed.

Derek79
Dec 17, 2005

PaganGoatPants posted:

So I have the opportunity to take the Leapforce tests, but is it still worth working for them now and then?

I think it is. It's been a steady paycheck for me

Derek79
Dec 17, 2005

Lyon posted:

Hopefully you're still checking this thread since you don't have PMs..

Could you explain more of the details about LiveOps? Do you have to pay for multiple actual phone lines or do they all go through the same number? If the latter how do you know what you're taking a call for?

Can you specify the hours that you work? This is something I could do regularly on nights/weekends but I'd like it to be fairly flexible if possible.

I just use one phone line and all the calls come through there. If you are working direct response, the script will pop up a second or two before your phone actually rings. You just read whatever it says and go from there.

As far as the hours you work, there is a schedule. the available spots will be green and the taken spots will be yellow. A lot of times you might have to stalk for hours as people give them up regularly. If I don't go to the scheduled rollout, I can generally get a full days worth of hours with about 20 minutes of stalking the schedule page.

Derek79
Dec 17, 2005

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth posted:

As an FYI for those of you thinking of doing LiveOps, I did the initial signup and qualification on April 26th and it took til today to get approved, the paperwork, and the info to run the background check. Background check is $50. So don't count on them if you need urgent cash, but they will eventually get around to answering you. I'll post again once everything clears and I can start working to give you guys an idea of the timing and such.

drat, that's a long time. With LiveOps, there is never a set time. Some people hear back within a matter of hours and others take several weeks. It all depends on the needs of the lines. Did you get any info on what lines they are considering you for?

Derek79
Dec 17, 2005

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth posted:

I could electronically sign the paperwork and everything, so that did help.

LiveOps General, per the email. Whatever that means.

The general line is Direct Response which, in my opinion, is the best place to be. If you get in and have any questions, you can email me directly using bluesfan618 at gmail as a lot of the info cannot be shared publicly and can be confusing when you first start

Derek79
Dec 17, 2005

Lyon posted:

So LiveOps says my phone line cannot be Vonage, is this something they are able to verify?

I have a Vonage line and I'm moving in a little over a month so I'm not going to pay for the installation of a phone line at my old apartment now. I potentially just created a major headache for myself, what a pain.

Oh well, I guess I'll sort this nonsense out at some point.

The requirement is that you have a traditional landline. With that being said, I use vonage and have used it for some time. Just be sure to log into your account and turn off your voicemail and call waiting before logging in to take calls

Derek79
Dec 17, 2005

Lyon posted:

Oh thank god, I didn't want to deal with that nonsense particularly right around a move. Are there any settings that I need to know about for the Vonage line besides voice mail and call waiting?

Nope, just make sure those are turned off and you should be good to go.

Derek79
Dec 17, 2005

Lyon posted:

Ok, one more question, are they able to verify any of the wireless stuff or is that sort of BS as well?

Basically will I be able to use a cordless phone and wireless internet?

That is my set up exactly. You'll be just fine.

Derek79
Dec 17, 2005

Lyon posted:

I have officially started my LiveOps tenure. Finished the certification calls and they currently owe me $24.32!

I will say that the going through three up sells/down sells followed by three affinity program offers is ridiculous. With my first real call I basically ended up skipping them because every time I started on the next one the guy was like, "No no no" so I'm a little worried I'll get a compliance event for that one.

Does reading through the scripts become less cringe worthy as you do this? Do people actually purchase the affinity offers?

I have decided to earn, at a minimum, $62.5 to get my background check paid off before I make any decisions about continuing this.

People definitely accept them. I'm sitting at about 43% on them. I have a few tricks that I use. Sometimes, I will be like "oh, wow! The screen says you have been randomly selected for blah blah blah. If they say no, I just ask them if they are sure because they do get to claim that gift card even if they cancel. Then I say "How about I just send the packet out to you, you take a look at it as soon as you get it and if it isn't something you will use, just call right then to cancel. You'll get that $50 gift card for just allowing me to send it out to you" That seems to work really well

ETA: If you stick with it and are decent at sales, you can get invited to the sales pro line. The line has commissions on all products and the commissions for the affinities is tripled ($3 per club, .75 per magazine and .50 per transfer)

Derek79
Dec 17, 2005

Pastamania posted:

Hi folks,

Quick question, I know most of the content jobs seem to be written, but has anyone got any experience making money off creating video? I noticed Demand Media accepts filmmakers and I'm wondering if the payouts are worth the time it takes.

Yeah, don't do video for Demand. Your payment for making the video is the video credits and nothing else. Nothing monetary at all.

Derek79
Dec 17, 2005

jendazzler posted:

Hi Derek,

Is Liveops looking for people with previous marketing experience(I have absolutely none)and if there is a minimum amount of hours that must be worked per week? Could I do this for say 10 hours per week or do they want at least 20 hours?

Thanks!

Hi Jen,

There is no minimum with LiveOps. When you first start, you have to do so many calls within so many days (which has changed several times since I started so I don't know how many calls in how many days. It was 25 calls in 7 days when I started). There are times that I get busy with other gigs and don't log in for a month. My wife has not taken a call in over 6 months and just got her contract renewed.

Derek79
Dec 17, 2005

Slightly Used Cake posted:

Has anyone managed to book work through a site called oDesk, or even Elance? I signed up to both, but they seem flooded, and the rate of pay most people expect to get away with is pitiful, but some money would be better than no money.

I have a couple of ongoing gigs from oDesk. Just have to sift through hundreds of crap jobs to find the gems.

Derek79
Dec 17, 2005

dms666 posted:

I work for LB, both them and LF let you work whenever you want, not sure if LF also wants you to do at least 10 hour a week. I am not sure if this changed, but Butler Hill wants you to work 4 hours a day M-F. You have to pass a test to work at any of these jobs. It isnt the most exciting work, but you can learn a lot of random facts while rating searches. Task availability is also a problem sometimes, especially right around/after holidays. Any other questions, just ask.

The only minimum LF has is 200 tasks per month

Derek79
Dec 17, 2005

Zapf Dingbat posted:

So what's the deal with home phone support gigs?

Is there any particular company you're referring to? I'm familiar with a good majority of them and can provide some information if you have specific questions.

Derek79
Dec 17, 2005

Harminoff posted:

Hey Derek (or anyone else that works for liveops) I have a few questions. I've been in the cable industry sales/troubleshooting/retention for 6+ years but am looking for something I can do in my spare time at home. I'm used to having to push upsells, topdown selling, proper rebuttals and whatnot so I think that it wouldn't take me long to move up in liveops.

Do they have similar work to that or is all infomercial sales? How is the qa done? Do you get evaluated on your calls on a weekly basis? Do those qa scores effect pay/bonus? Do they track what you are doing off the phone, or am I able to browse the web between calls? Is commission based on sales or just on upsells? How far in advance do I have to sign up for a timeblock?

Experience upselling will definitely come in handy. There is not a ton of "moving up" when it comes to Liveops, although if you are good at sales, you may be offered one of the commission lines that pay a smaller per minute rate but with commissions on anything you sell.

Believe it or not, there is not a ton of QA when you compare it to brick and mortar call centers. There is an audit team that will listen to calls that involve any kind of repetitive billing (products that come monthly, special clubs, etc) to make sure that the terms were read and that the customer gives a distinct yes to the terms. They do not track what you are doing between calls at all and have no software monitoring your computer. When I take calls, I generally work a secondary job like writing or something like that between calls if there isn't a lot of call volume.

As far as the lines at Liveops, this is what is there at the moment:
*General - This is Direct Response Calls and what most people start out on. It pays per minute and some products have a small commission

*Sales Pro - This is the commissioned sales line. Smaller per minute pay but you get a commission on everything you sell. The amount of commission varies depending on the product. For example, Beachbody calls pay a percentage of the entire order while NuWave pays a set amount for each piece that is ordered.

*Sales Pro Fixed Rate - Gets the same calls as the Sales Pro line but no commissions. Instead, it pays a per minute rate that is higher than the general line.

*Botique - Same as the Sales Pro line but with higher commissions. These agents are considered the best of the best.

*Pizza - Taking delivery calls for one of the nations largest pizza chains. Pays per order

*Identity Theft Protection Company - Pays a per minute rate plus a commission for every person that signs up

*Roadside Assistance Company - Pays per minute

*Auto insurance First Notice of Loss - Pays per minute with a forecast guarantee that guarantees you will make a certain minimum amount.

Due to our NDA, I can't actually name the clients above but they are all reputable. The general line is typically given first and then other lines can be earned.

There are also various lines dedicated to particular products or lines of products that you may be offered if you are good at selling certain things.

As far as scheduling your hours, the schedule is released weekly at specific times. Hours are released three times on Thursday and two times on Friday. These roll outs can be good if you want to schedule your week all at once. If you're like me, you want to work when you feel like it. At any time, you can pull up your schedule and see what is available. Agents can release their hours up to 30 minutes before they are scheduled. I never had a problem getting hours by simply bringing up the schedule. Within 15 minutes, I could have a full day scheduled.

I think I touched on everything. Let me know if you have any questions

Derek79
Dec 17, 2005

Beefstorm posted:

So is LiveOps still worth it? I was approved, however they want that background check fee. So does everyone here still believe in it as a supplemental income?

I've got several friends making a full-time living with it.

Derek79
Dec 17, 2005
I don't know if this has been asked in this thread or one of the previous ones but a quick glance didn't find it for me. What kinds of headphones is everyone using for transcription? I'd like to do a little in my spare time but want something that will drown out the noise that is my family.

Derek79
Dec 17, 2005
Thanks for the answers. So, even though they are cheap, something like these would be OK?

http://www.amazon.com/JVC-HARX300-F...nasonic+RP-HTX7

Derek79
Dec 17, 2005
Thanks again. I went ahead and ordered some Panasonic RP-HTX7 (not in girly pink) since you guys seem to have good things to say about them.

Derek79
Dec 17, 2005
Does anyone know if Daily Transcripts is actively hiring? I applied a couple weeks ago and haven't recieved an email with a test.

Derek79
Dec 17, 2005
So I've sent a couple of apps to Daily Transcription and have never received an email with testing instructions. Today, I accidentally came across a page that appears to be a testing page. It has a link to a video and instructions. Is it worth it to take the test and email it to them anyway or is it better to wait for the email telling you to do it?

Derek79
Dec 17, 2005

jabro posted:

You are supposed to send in the test with your app. There is no email with instructions you are supposed to be waiting for.

Really? The app I filled out says thanks for the application and I will receive further instructions. No mention of the test at all. I'll go ahead and take the test. Thanks foor letting me know!

Derek79
Dec 17, 2005

Bifauxnen posted:

I noticed that exact same thing, I was just waiting around till someone in this thread linked me to the DT test page. I was especially confused since even right there on the test page, it says there's a "strict 24-hour turnaround", like you were supposed to complete it within a day once they gave you the test. Instead I've just been sitting on it, not wanting to bother with it while I had work coming from Focus Forward instead.

It's pretty slow for me now though, maybe I should finally finish the drat thing. I keep putting it off cause I feel like some other ambigious thing will lead to me making some error in the format, and thus being "rejected and deleted before we grade it for accuracy."

Focus Forward just declined my test. I have no clue why. I went over that thing multiple times before submitting it. It wasn't even a difficult audio. I'm going to do the DT test this weekend and hope for the best.

Derek79
Dec 17, 2005
Question for anyone who write for Zerys, and I apologize if this has already been touched on. I got in at a 3 star level. I am having trouble making sense of all these categories and subcategories. I understand that these will directly impact what jobs show up, is that correct? Is anyone willing to share categories and subcategories that net a decent amount of articles?

Derek79
Dec 17, 2005

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

Attention transcribers who have been at this for at least six months:

How many of you would be available for overnight turnaround projects at $1.25/minute? The workflow would be as follows--

• I give you a request at around 9:00 p.m. Central.
    • You confirm the request and download the video and transcribe it according to our style.
    • You send it back to us by 7:00 a.m. the next day.

PM me if you're interested.

I can't PM on the site but I would be interested. Any way you could shoot me an email? nisselphatATgmail

Derek79
Dec 17, 2005

Firstborn posted:

Is anyone working from home at like a call center or other no experience necessary positions? I am wondering where you found your job postings. I'd like to work from home even if it means answering phones.

Check out ratracerebellion.com

They have a spreadsheet with a ton of the call center companies listed on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Derek79
Dec 17, 2005
I used to do Pizza Hut when I was with LiveOps and it was common to do $8 to $9 an hour. If it's a complaint, you simply say please hold while I transfer you to the store and click a button.