Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I just want to know what the drat release date is. Steam still just has the "June 2013" placeholder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
EDIT: Wrong thread!.

For some reason I think of June 25th as the release date, but I could be pulling that out my imagination.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Evil Fluffy posted:

I'm more interested in whether or not someone's going to manage to remake the SNES game (as close as they can) before the game launches.

gently caress the SNES game, I wonder if you could do clever things with triggers and flags and repeating quests to recreate the Genesis one. In fact, I wonder how "open" it is possible to make the world, and if there is some sort of random roll function so that you could randomly get a quest to take this package from the halloweeners to little chiba.

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS GUY?

Al! posted:

gently caress the SNES game, I wonder if you could do clever things with triggers and flags and repeating quests to recreate the Genesis one. In fact, I wonder how "open" it is possible to make the world, and if there is some sort of random roll function so that you could randomly get a quest to take this package from the halloweeners to little chiba.
SNES game is still awesome; just replayed it in anticipation of this game.

I also love that one character from the SNES game will return(from the preview video earlier released): Jake Armitage.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

setafd posted:

I just want to know what the drat release date is. Steam still just has the "June 2013" placeholder.

Valve knows the date, and places it accordingly.

Since DARK is set to release on the 28th, and Shadowrun is set to release after that, it'll either be the 28th, the 29th, or the 30th of June.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Rookersh posted:

Valve knows the date, and places it accordingly.

Since DARK is set to release on the 28th, and Shadowrun is set to release after that, it'll either be the 28th, the 29th, or the 30th of June.

I think it's just after Dark on the list because it doesn't have a release date, not because it's certain to be released later. That said, it's probably not a bad bet, or we'd have a date by now.

Soma Soma Soma
Mar 22, 2004

Richardson agrees
I thought one of the head devs said it was June 26th in an interview?

Edit - This was the interview but it looks like the June 26th date was edited out of it. How convenient of them, I'd rather he just didn't even give a release date when they asked him.

Soma Soma Soma fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jun 1, 2013

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

They're gonna postpone it past June aren't they? =(

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead
If it gets delayed I would imagine it's entirely due to their fuckery with the Matrix and very late changes made to it. That being said, if they delay it I'm cool with it. To be honest, the turn around from kickstarter funding to release was still a very impressive number for me and one I almost expected a delay to be made since it was so short. Hey, if they manage to meet it though then all the more power to them.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

Rutkowski posted:

If they delay it past June because they need the time to polish it up and/or add content, I'm totally cool with that. I can wait a couple more weeks for a better game.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The quickest substitution in the history of the NBA

Al! posted:

Remake the SNES game with the Genesis game's hacking system.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Papercut posted:

Remake the SNES game with the Genesis game's hacking system.

Also a better combat system, the ability to take runs from Mr. Johnsons, etc.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Rutkowski posted:

I don't mind, considering how much work I've got all through the summer. If they need a month or three more, that just means I can start enjoying it properly (and that it will get the polish it deserves).

Moto42
Jul 14, 2006

:dukedog:

Naky posted:

To be honest, the turn around from kickstarter funding to release was still a very impressive number for me...
True that. I backed Tremulus and I'm not expecting that book to come out anytime soon while SRR is right around the corner.

I wish I had access to the editor though.

Zizi
Jan 7, 2010
Playing with the editor this weekend. It's pretty nice so far-- the email mentions that they "promised 'powerful but ugly' and we think we've certainly delivered!'" It is true, but I'm happy for it, because this is some real internal production tool stuff here.

I'm not far into it but it looks promising. I'm starting out doing stuff in Dunkelzahn's Will right now because this is basically exactly what the drat thing is for.

Cheen
Apr 17, 2005

Zizi posted:

Playing with the editor this weekend. It's pretty nice so far-- the email mentions that they "promised 'powerful but ugly' and we think we've certainly delivered!'" It is true, but I'm happy for it, because this is some real internal production tool stuff here.

I'm not far into it but it looks promising. I'm starting out doing stuff in Dunkelzahn's Will right now because this is basically exactly what the drat thing is for.

Does it let you test and play the missions you've made?

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Zaodai posted:

Let's be real, the SNES and Genesis games will both likely have HBS-approved mods by release day.

Zizi
Jan 7, 2010

Pop and Loch Nessy posted:

Does it let you test and play the missions you've made?

Yes. It actually comes with the current build of the game itself, with all the campaign content stripped out. You launch the editor from the main game menu, and when you poke the button to test, the game launches into the mission. Currently, this makes it important to set the scene properties to allow hiring so you have characters to play with, as you pick one hire to represent the player character. It looks like when the full game is out, we'll be able to test with our own saved PCs as well.

Editor is generally nice. You can build maps from scratch, or re-use HBS's maps or any of the ones you've built before (or from any content packs you have loaded, which I presume means multiple authors could use each others' work), there's loads of trigger options, conversation system looks flexible (but I haven't dug into it yet), and there's niceties like being able to attach narration text to area triggers to give out a good tabletop feel.

Game itself plays real well, though there's the occasional rough edge due to it being a pre-release version.

EDIT: I should clarify-- when I say it has all campaign content stripped out, that is not strictly true-- it does have at least some of the Seattle tileset, a collection of NPCs, equipment, hires, two pre-made maps, and probably some other stuff I haven't seen yet. But it doesn't have all the story content, and the maps are specifically the ones they've shown in the update videos before. Enough to work with and get some stuff done, but by no means the full set of assets we're likely to get at release.

Zizi fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jun 2, 2013

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
If they delay it can't be for too long or it'll start to risk overlapping with Wasteland 2.

Zaodai posted:

the SNES game's combat system was too early to seize on KB/M or dual stick controllers. Move with one, aim with the other instead of the stationary fighting would've worked well.

Plus enemies like those Gang Leaders are serious bullshit because they get to run and gun. :argh:

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Bigass Moth posted:

Let's be real, the SNES and Genesis games will both likely have HBS-approved mods by release day.

Would the SNES game be quite the same if you weren't playing in real time though?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Mordaedil posted:

Would the SNES game be quite the same if you weren't playing in real time though?

It would probably be better? For serious, the combat is the only bad part of that game (it also owns the Genesis one).

Mercedes
Mar 7, 2006

"So you Jesus?"

"And you black?"

"Nigga prove it!"

And so Black Jesus turned water into a bucket of chicken. And He saw that it was good.

“Alright fine. I relent.” Isaak sighs heavily. “What do you need me to do?”

“Just get me out of this stupid jail as soon as possible.” He says.

“I can do that. I can negotiate the bail down pretty low, lower if I knew what the hell was going on.” Isaak raises both his eyebrows as he says the last part.

“Don't worry about it Shark.”

“Okay, okay.”

Sitting in his library, one of Isaak's junior associate comes to him with a file and a newspaper in his hand. “Sir... you need to see this. It's concerning Jameson's case.”

Isaak starts to read the article and his eyes go wide. “Adrianna Mendez's body was found floating in the river? Carlos Mendez's daughter?” He looks up to his associate.

He nods. “It gets worse sir. Prosecution just sent this over.”

Setting down the newspaper on his already cluttered desk, Isaak takes the folder and starts perusing. “This is new evidence... they're trying to match the blood from Adrianna to the blood found on Jameson...” Isaak removes his glasses and sets them down with shaky fingers. “If this gets out, there's going to be a war. Carlos is already on edge because no one has seen his daughter in days. We need to find a way to destroy the evidence.” He looks up at his associate.

“We have a few officers on payroll, should we utilize them?” He asks nonchalantly.

“Yea, find some one to pressure...” Isaak snaps his finger repeatedly as he tries to remember a name. “..ah! Molina. He took out a loan and I think it's time he paid up. Let me know when someone breaks him, I'll work on our ambush.”

“Yes sir.” The associate leaves the room.

“'Leave this to me' my rear end.” Isaak comments as he picks up the phone to arrange a meeting with his boss.

Mercedes fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Jul 15, 2013

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Wyld Karde posted:

Anyone else wondering how many variations of Friday Night Food Fight are gonna be on the Workshop when the game launches?

If the editor's not too much of a pain to use, I have a stack of 1st and 2nd edition Shadowrun adventures that aren't doing anything...

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~

Pope Guilty posted:

If the editor's not too much of a pain to use, I have a stack of 1st and 2nd edition Shadowrun adventures that aren't doing anything...

Hmm, wonder where I left my copy of Missing Blood... :unsmigghh:

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Pope Guilty posted:

This article has links to some showcases of the toolset.

I'll put the videos here for ease of reference:
Shadowrun Returns Editor: Exterior Maps
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaR5-tzkayo

Shadowrun Returns Editor: Interior Maps
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhWfXRP95u0

Shadowrun Returns Editor: Quickstart Guide #1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyRBqnxKe5M

Shadowrun Returns Editor: Quickstart Guide #2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ud0FsObIq0

Shadowrun Returns Editor: Quickstart Guide #3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8ZlR7Bci4o

On one hand, it looks like placing some props will be a bit of a pain, on the other hand, it looks very flexible.

Making graveyards will be extremely important for your sanity though.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Wait, how the hell are you supposed to test your modules if the game's not out yet?

hhhmmm
Jan 1, 2006
...?

Mordaedil posted:

This article has links to some showcases of the toolset.

I'll put the videos here for ease of reference:
Shadowrun Returns Editor: Exterior Maps
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaR5-tzkayo

Shadowrun Returns Editor: Interior Maps
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhWfXRP95u0

Shadowrun Returns Editor: Quickstart Guide #1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyRBqnxKe5M

Shadowrun Returns Editor: Quickstart Guide #2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ud0FsObIq0

Shadowrun Returns Editor: Quickstart Guide #3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8ZlR7Bci4o

On one hand, it looks like placing some props will be a bit of a pain, on the other hand, it looks very flexible.

Making graveyards will be extremely important for your sanity though.

I'm getting increasingly bigger hopes for this game

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Pope Guilty posted:

Wait, how the hell are you supposed to test your modules if the game's not out yet?

Possibly you get an executable that can run single scenes from the toolset. That or you can't test, only build for now.

hhhmmm posted:

I'm getting increasingly bigger hopes for this game
Glad to hear that, but I'd be cool if you at least removed the video-links when you quote my post, so we don't get such giant towering post replies.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

Pope Guilty posted:

As mentioned previously in this thread:

quote:

Yes. It actually comes with the current build of the game itself, with all the campaign content stripped out. You launch the editor from the main game menu, and when you poke the button to test, the game launches into the mission. Currently, this makes it important to set the scene properties to allow hiring so you have characters to play with, as you pick one hire to represent the player character. It looks like when the full game is out, we'll be able to test with our own saved PCs as well.

Cheen
Apr 17, 2005

It appears that they've cut off access to the Shadowrun Returns forums...

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

Pop and Loch Nessy posted:

It appears that they've cut off access to the Shadowrun Returns forums...
Oh? Nobody can access at all?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Rutkowski posted:

Oh? Nobody can access at all?

The link to the Shadowrun Returns forums was removed all together, icons and everything.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005
I tried logging in on the SR:U website and then using the direct forums link from the harebrained schemes site, and it gave me a permissions error. They might be updating it to have a dedicated modding and editor section? I dunno.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Yeah, it's probably just a relaunch.

Satanos
Feb 5, 2010

Are there any enemy varieties in the normal Shadowrun monster manual (or equivalent) that might make it possible to remake System Shock 2 if they're present in the game?

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

Satanos posted:

Are there any enemy varieties in the normal Shadowrun monster manual (or equivalent) that might make it possible to remake System Shock 2 if they're present in the game?

Yes. Cyberzombies and HMHVV-infected monsters like ghouls would fit right in there. Now that I think about it, the System Shock and Shadowrun worlds could fit together quite nicely!

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

Ashenai posted:

Yes. Cyberzombies and HMHVV-infected monsters like ghouls would fit right in there. Now that I think about it, the System Shock and Shadowrun worlds could fit together quite nicely!
I always considered System Shock and Deus Ex to be a lot closer even though Deus Ex doesn't really have the monster aspect.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

Rutkowski posted:

I always considered System Shock and Deus Ex to be a lot closer even though Deus Ex doesn't really have the monster aspect.

Deus Ex also doesn't have magic/psionics.

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

Ashenai posted:

Yeah that's true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Ashenai posted:

The grey's radiation blasts and telepathy were kinda blurring the line, but then again I'm one of the few people who actually was able to enjoy Deus Ex 2 despite it being a downgrade from the original in many ways.

• Locked thread