Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

blackguy32 posted:

We just don't need another AvP 2 where the marines have no reason to pick any other class other than Sniper. Also, Aliens need something to prevent marines from simply camping in a corner somewhere. That was one of the best strategies as Marine in the new AvP

I would be down for some skirmish mode. I find the multiplayer to be too unbalanced to be fun at this point.

Multiplayer is so balanced. I don't know what you're talking about, mister!

Oh, avp2? Yeah....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Incidentally camping was generally the best way to fight the Aliens in the movies too.

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

ChickenHeart posted:

I agree, though this quote from the Gamespy interview might shed more light into the dull-looking multiplayer:

So apparently a good chunk of the sound design is still under construction; a lot of effects like gun sounds feel like placeholders to me (especially since they literally use the authentic movie sounds in their teasers), or in the case of marine dialogue and music, just plain not present yet. Might explain why all the gameplay videos have this weird "floating man-turret" feel to them, as well.

If they have to move the release date to spring '13 to make the game really good, I don't mind waiting.

Something I still haven't figured out about the game's premise: In the most recent interview, John Mulkey says A:CM is a sequel to Aliens "within canon". Near the end of Aliens, the damaged processing station went critical and the survivors barely escaped before the colony was vaporized in a nuclear blast. What part of LV-426 are the Marines exploring in this game? A second colony we never heard about? Or was the explosion just retconned out?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Incidentally camping was generally the best way to fight the Aliens in the movies too.
This exactly, which is why deathmatch doesn't work anywhere near as well as other, objective-based gameplay. Left4Dead did that right, at least. If you have ambush classes, make the people with guns have to get from point A to point B safely, ideally while doing things along the way. I liked evac a lot, incidentally.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Dick Jones posted:

Something I still haven't figured out about the game's premise: In the most recent interview, John Mulkey says A:CM is a sequel to Aliens "within canon". Near the end of Aliens, the damaged processing station went critical and the survivors barely escaped before the colony was vaporized in a nuclear blast. What part of LV-426 are the Marines exploring in this game? A second colony we never heard about? Or was the explosion just retconned out?

Maybe they'll release a new cut of the movie without the explosion in order to maintain canonical integrity!

South
Apr 9, 2001

I am the highest paid lifeguard in the world. Love me.

NINbuntu 64 posted:

In Aliens, they were fighting thousands of them.

Robot_Rumpus posted:

It was around 100

156. There were 158 colonists, subtract Newt and the one chest buster that the marines fried when they found the colonists.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

South posted:

156. There were 158 colonists, subtract Newt and the one chest buster that the marines fried when they found the colonists.

Don't forget the ones they killed taking the facehuggers off.
:goonsay:

Al Nipper
May 7, 2008

by XyloJW

Dick Jones posted:

If they have to move the release date to spring '13 to make the game really good, I don't mind waiting.

In one of the preview videos you pass the remains of the atmospheric processor.

Seems like the reactor exploded and left much of the outlying colony (relatively) intact. Could be a case of them overestimating the explosion, especially with the xenos taking over the planet since.

But then it was always a improvised solution to the preferred 'nuke it from orbit' strategy.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

t3h z0r posted:

In one of the preview videos you pass the remains of the atmospheric processor.

Seems like the reactor exploded and left much of the outlying colony (relatively) intact. Could be a case of them overestimating the explosion, especially with the xenos taking over the planet since.

But then it was always a macguyver'd solution to the preferred 'nuke it from orbit' strategy.

That still makes no sense since the Xenos had their nest in the Atmosphere processor. I mean if any Aliens survived, there wouldn't be that many left at all.

In any case, canon is stupid, we have already seen Aliens that weren't in the movies, so its pointless to try to follow "canon"

Al Nipper
May 7, 2008

by XyloJW
Was it ever established that there weren't more alien colonies on the planet? We didn't see any more of the Space Jockey ship after Alien, lord knows what happened after that, or what the Company did with it. I dunno.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Just bring back Evac mode from AvP2 and no one will be hurt... much :colbert:

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Giggily posted:

Also AvP Classic is on steam for five bucks and I've hosted servers for it tons of times. We really should get some games of it running, because it can be fun with the right mindset.

The mindset that you will never ever win as a Marine so just hide your rear end somewhere and hope you're last since the Marine weapons outside of the rocket hit for jack poo poo.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Bolow posted:

The mindset that you will never ever win as a Marine so just hide your rear end somewhere and hope you're last since the Marine weapons outside of the rocket hit for jack poo poo.

Pretty much. Being the last marine alive should really have been the win condition, instead of having marines actually survive the time limit because man, that almost never happened.

No really we should paly some more that game is great.

Pimpmust posted:

Just bring back Evac mode from AvP2 and no one will be hurt... much :colbert:

Objective based gameplay like that would make Colonial Marine's multiplayer actually good so I'm not sure if it's going to happen.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

t3h z0r posted:

Was it ever established that there weren't more alien colonies on the planet? We didn't see any more of the Space Jockey ship after Alien, lord knows what happened after that, or what the Company did with it. I dunno.

Its easier to assume that since we weren't shown any other ones and that there aren't anymore humans for the facehuggers from the Space Jockey ship to impregnate that it would be pretty rare for there to be that many more Aliens. But in any case, I think they would shoot themselves in the foot if they tried to make it fit with the movie.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Giggily posted:

Pretty much. Being the last marine alive should really have been the win condition, instead of having marines actually survive the time limit because man, that almost never happened.

No really we should paly some more that game is great.

Objective based gameplay like that would make Colonial Marine's multiplayer actually good so I'm not sure if it's going to happen.

Im willing to jump into some skirmish whenever. People liked playing on Stranded, but I hated stranded because it was too open and too easy. I really liked Hive because it was hard as hell to survive for long on it.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

t3h z0r posted:

From what's implied in interviews (and the game's relationship with the DS game), Colonial Marines takes place a little after Alien 3, and as you step onto the Sulaco and check out Acheron, it becomes very clear that the marine rescue team was definitely not the first to discover the Sulaco and ruined colony; in the weeks since the Cameron film someone else (Weyland goons or possibly the UPP) had managed to take up shop and in the process, become alien incubators just in time for the marines to get hosed over when they arrive. Also it's established that the Derelict survived the nuclear blast, leaving plenty of eggs for everyone to go all mad scientist with. Still, this game does have a glaring plot-hole that hasn't been resolved for me: What the gently caress is the Sulaco doing so close to the colony? Wasn't it near Fiorina 161 so all the wacky escape vehicle antics of Alien 3 could happen?

Also hell yeah I'd be all for some AVP'in of the classic or 2010 variety; Skirmish is always a blast, and the 2010 version still has a few populated infestation (ie, marine-vs-alien survival) servers that fill up from time to time: http://steamcommunity.com/id/ChickenHeart

ChickenHeart fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Apr 5, 2012

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace

South posted:

I'm not great at photoshop but this is the first thing I thought of.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
I think I'll pick up AVP2010 the next time it goes on sale on Steam in hopes of some goons organizing some Infestation games.

I do have AVP Classic though, if someone wants to setup some Skirmish game or something.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Revitalized posted:

I think I'll pick up AVP2010 the next time it goes on sale on Steam in hopes of some goons organizing some Infestation games.

I do have AVP Classic though, if someone wants to setup some Skirmish game or something.

I started a server just now and to my surprise 2 people instantly joined. Then I changed the map and they never came back :(

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Kiss From a Hog
With the noticeable boost in avp game-related interest, I got Bubz to grant me admin status to the utterly-derelict Goons vs. Predator steam group and set the invite status to public to see if we can't manage to set up a couple of skirmish games and whatnot:

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/goonsversuspredator

If anyone wants admin status, just send me a message over Steam.

Assuming Colonial Marines doesn't blow Call-of-Duty-flavored chunks at launch, I'll use Goons vs. Predator to organize games for that, too.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

blackguy32 posted:

We just don't need another AvP 2 where the marines have no reason to pick any other class other than Sniper. Also, Aliens need something to prevent marines from simply camping in a corner somewhere. That was one of the best strategies as Marine in the new AvP

I would be down for some skirmish mode. I find the multiplayer to be too unbalanced to be fun at this point.

I think the thing they missed out on is that the best maps from AvP1 and 2 were ones where you could mess with the lighting. AvP1 especially had sort of a rock paper scissors thing with everyone's unique vision modes and messing those up at the right times is what made it intense. One of my favorite maps was this really simple one where there was a generator only the Aliens could reach through ducts that they could mess with to cut off or significantly brighten the lights.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Did anyone here play Alien Trilogy on the PS1? I remember liking it but I have a sneaking feeling that it was actually really bad.

Also I mostly remember DERM PATCH DERM PATCH DERM PATCH.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Yodzilla posted:

Did anyone here play Alien Trilogy on the PS1? I remember liking it but I have a sneaking feeling that it was actually really bad.

I had it for over a year without a ps1. It was my favorite game for some reason. I remember going to my cousins house to play on his ps1 a few times before getting MY OWN ALIEN TRILOGY PLAYING SYSTEM. I proceeded to play it constantly for years.

I'm loving lame.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Yodzilla posted:

I actually own it. The game would be fun if it didn't have a 2 second invulnerability period after you shoot something. Despite that, the music kicks rear end.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmnN_nReqIc

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

"For some reason?" It was loving Wolf 3D but with multi-level levels, wannabe Vangelis music and ALIENS! Game owned and still owns. :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c10LPe1uQaI

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.
For my money, C64 Aliens has yet to be topped.

Also Capcom's AvP arcade because

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

ChickenHeart posted:

If anyone wants admin status, just send me a message over Steam.

Respond to my friend request damnit! :argh:

Just played a quick game of last man standing with a few Goons in AvP Classic, I forgot how scary this game can actually be, if only because the motion tracker sound. I hope my roommates don't mind my yelling too much.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

t3h z0r posted:

[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBIpUEjFFHA&t=3m52s]In one of the preview videos

I love how it seems like you just float around and blood looks like something out of a 90s anime.

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

Trump posted:

I love how it seems like you just float around and blood looks like something out of a 90s anime.

I wonder why it seems that so many shooters that include console control sticks support make you feel like you're a robo-turret. Seriously guys, people making first-gen xbox games could figure out making aiming feel natural. Why is this so hard to do?

Actually seeing that clip makes me feel like some of the stuff in there would be ripe for a good survival horror game, until you start seeing the attack animations. Those xenos are the things of nightmares, and it kind of makes it less freaky when they start acting like standard videogame enemies. I still have hopes that this will get better though.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Copper Vein posted:

:aslol: this is great.

Copper Vein posted:

Hell yes.

Goddamn Hippy
Jan 18, 2006
Well i'm thoroughly disappointed that this looks like unimaginative poo poo. I had high hopes that this might actually have replayability and mp levels that consisted of more than 2 or 3 connected corridors with tiny, figure-eight map layouts.

Pitchford, sweetie.. You're dead to me.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Randy Pitchford strikes me as the kind of guy who has every intention of churning out great games but more often than not things just go wrong somehow.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Okan170 posted:

I wonder why it seems that so many shooters that include console control sticks support make you feel like you're a robo-turret. Seriously guys, people making first-gen xbox games could figure out making aiming feel natural. Why is this so hard to do?

The very first Playstation game, KING'S FIELD, didn't even have the sliding turret issue, has technology not caught up with From Software circa 1994? I feel like console FPS have gotten worse over time, like I have several for the Saturn/PSX that run at 60FPS, have a cool feeling to the weight/aiming, why's it all so slow and junky now. :(

The map layouts, like this isn't even the same game they talked about making, another unfocused, unpolished mess from Gearbox. At least Duke Nukem Forever wasn't all them.

"Aliens can climb on the ceilings, on the walls, it's all driven by sophisticated artificial intelligence." *Every enemy reveals itself at exactly six feet away before ambivalently shuffling towards the player and attempting to slowly stand up and box with the player. Suddenly a scripted sequence occurs where an Alien drops from the ceiling exactly six feet away from you, but control is taken away from the player so an exciting struggle can ensue!* "That's what we call a close encounter...Wow it's so awesome...Power loaders, APCs, it's the real deal." utters Randy Pitchford with the certainty and confidence of a man who has nothing left. Soon A shameful display. I kind of sort of got interested in FPS again last year but after the embarrassment of Rage and DNF, I'm glad I'm not even bothering anymore.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Apr 6, 2012

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Kiss From a Hog
Taken from someone's PAX coverage:

There's also a bit of a writeup from a guy at AVP Galaxy on the goings-on at the Colonial Marines booth: http://www.avpgalaxy.net/games/aliens-colonial-marines-sega/pax-east-report-day-1-impressions/ Apparently you get to see more of the singleplayer mission on the Sulaco, and goers get to have a go at a 6-vs-6 multiplayer demo against the development team playing as the xenomorphs:

quote:

The xenos are controlled in 3rd person. Standard control layout had one of the triggers being held for wall climbs. The xenos would enter first person view when traversing through tight tunnels. They had a pheromone augmented view of the MP map – meaning that they could see through walls and see where other xenos and enemies were at any time. They could swipe with claws, pounce or whip with tails.

Other notes: The pounces aren't instant kills; there's a small window of time for marine players to shoot/melee an alien off of a teammate. You can unlock a flamer attachment for the pulse rifle. Aliens are actually fairly fragile while marines go down in roughly 3-4 swipes or ~2 tail whips. Sentry guns can go anywhere you want them. Smartgun removes your motion tracker and slows you down.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Copper Vein posted:

Only my favorite arcade game of all times.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy

Copper Vein posted:

I think it's one of the few arcade games I've beaten at the arcade. It was also one of the few machines that was 25 cents per play. Good times.

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood
I was mildly excited for this, until I saw this trailer. It looks terrible, the gun sounds are completely off, aliens seem really loving slow and it just looks like another generic corridor shooter.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
That gameplay segment looked... so... loving... SCRIPTED. It's script here script there, scripted out the rear end. Every single alien feels scripted.
"It's all driven by a sophisticated artificial intelligence" MY rear end.

Also, it's not an RPG at all. I expected to be able to command a team of marines as they hacked doors and put down defenses and sentry guns and poo poo, not this generic FPS.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Pochoclo posted:

Also, it's not an RPG at all. I expected to be able to command a team of marines as they hacked doors and put down defenses and sentry guns and poo poo, not this generic FPS.

I think you're confusing it with the cancelled Obsidian Aliens RPG. Which they should have cancelled this favour of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Sakurazuka posted:

I think you're confusing it with the cancelled Obsidian Aliens RPG. Which they should have cancelled this favour of.

Yeah, I thought this was it. gently caress.

• Locked thread